[✔️] November 8, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Nov 8 08:11:42 EST 2021

/*November 8, 2021*/
/
//[ policy overview report,  important new science insights from UN  -
video presentation]/
*10 New Insights in Climate Science | #COP26 | Climate action*
Nov 4, 2021
United Nations
Overview by Professor Johan Rockström, Director of the Potsdam Institute
for Climate Impact Research, Co-Chair, Advisory Committee of Future
Earth, and Co-Chair of the Earth League.
  The 10 New Insights in Climate Science:

    1. Stabilizing at 1.5°C warming is still possible, but immediate and
    drastic global action is required
    2. Rapid growth in methane and nitrous oxide emissions put us on
    track for 2.7°C warming
    3. Megafires – climate change forces fire extremes to reach new
    dimensions with extreme impacts
    4. Climate tipping elements incur high-impact risks
    5. Global climate action must be just
    6. Supporting household behaviour changes is a crucial but often
    overlooked opportunity for climate action
    7. Political challenges impede the effectiveness of carbon pricing
    8. Nature-based solutions are critical for the pathway to Paris –
    but look at the fine print
    9. Building resilience of marine ecosystems is achievable by
    climate-adapted conservation and management, and global stewardship
    10. Costs of climate change mitigation can be justified by the
    multiple immediate benefits to the health of humans and nature

---------
The UN Climate Change Conference (COP 26) in Glasgow, United Kingdom is
a crucial opportunity to achieve pivotal, transformational change in
global climate policy and action. It is a credibility test for global
efforts to address climate change and it is where Parties must make
considerable progress to reach consensus on issues they have been
discussing for several years. COP 26 comes against the background of
widespread, rapid and intensifying climate change impacts, which are
already impacting every region on Earth. Also, COP 26 comes against the
background of the COVID-19 pandemic, with the urgent need to build back
better for present future generations to ensure a safe future.

The UNFCCC secretariat (UN Climate Change) is the United Nations entity
tasked with supporting the global response to the threat of climate
change. UNFCCC stands for United Nations Framework Convention on Climate
Change. The Convention has near universal membership (197 Parties) and
is the parent treaty of the 2015 Paris Agreement. The main aim of the
Paris Agreement is to keep the global average temperature rise this
century as close as possible to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial
levels. The UNFCCC is also the parent treaty of the 1997 Kyoto Protocol.
The ultimate objective of all three agreements under the UNFCCC is to
stabilize greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level
that will prevent dangerous human interference with the climate system,
in a time frame which allows ecosystems to adapt naturally and enables
sustainable development.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febQEOF4IUI

/[amusing, informative discussion between 2 very smart men.  Easy
listening on 1.25 speed -- Audio interview ]/
*Our Climate Guy – Nobel Prize Recipient Michael Mann on COP-26 (Nov. 7,
2021)*
Nov 5, 2021 - Al Franken
What to look for coming out of COP -26
https://youtu.be/rvsH5Be0g-0?t=393

/[ Opinion. Perhaps to dearest child, "You were born at just the right
time to change everything" ]/
*COP is broken*
The Phoenix - Nov 7, 2021
It's time to admit it, even if it hurts: The COP process — the official
international system of negotiations led by the United Nations to combat
climate change — is broken.

After an entire generation of effort, major failures in Kyoto (in the
1990s), Copenhagen (in the 2000s), Paris (in the 2010s), and now Glasgow
(in the 2020s) have put the world on a path to warm by 2.7 degrees
Celsius by 2100, nearly twice the redline temperature rise that science
says would give us a chance to preserve human civilization in line with
environmental and social justice.

Bowing to national interests of the major polluting countries, the COP
process has always been voluntary, based on words and pledges, not
binding peer-led enforcement. Those pledges collectively have the world
on a path to emitting 40% more carbon in 2030 than in 1990 when the
process began, and nearly twice the level that would put us on a safe
climate path.

*We need a different path*
Glasgow is failing because so far the focus has been diametrically
opposed to the actual problem itself: a crisis of justice. Instead,
through billionaire-funded side events and exclusionary attendance
policies, the debate has focused on carbon markets, and appeasing the
fossil fuel industry that has all but captured the official process.

"People think that the COP is sort of like the World Series, right? And
that there's going to be some, you know, walk-off home run from China or
the U.S. And it's not," Rachel Kyte, an advisor to the UK government,
told NPR last week. "It's like an Iditarod, right? Lots of huskies, long
and arduous, and maybe it never ends."

*It's time for it to end.*
This doesn't mean it's too late to fix climate change — in fact just the
opposite. It means what was always true: Radical change won't be led by
those who created the problems. The answer was always a reimagining of
the social contract of human society. That work has been in progress for
hundreds of years, and it's time to help it rapidly spread around the world.

The reason we've had 26 years of COP meetings isn't because the process
has failed — it's because it's working exactly as it was intended to.
Letting governments set their own climate targets reinforces the status
quo, giving the fossil fuel industry and those that enable it a free
pass while the rest of the world bears the brunt of the crisis. It's
climate colonialism. It's an abject, willful dereliction of duty at the
most important moment in human history.

And it doesn't work any more.
*Real change won't come from politicians, it will come in spite of them*
That's an uncomfortable truth for those of us who have spent our entire
career trusting the process. Grieving this moment is part of what we
have to do for the rest of our lives, alongside our life-long struggle
for justice. That push-pull of grief + righteous anger, alongside
struggle + solidarity is what will define the rest of our lives. It's
what's going to deliver us a livable world for everyone.

A counter-COP, beginning today in Scotland, is a major step towards
kicking alternative approaches into high gear. The People's Summit for
Climate Justice is a hybrid summit for the climate movement, with
in-person and online events so everyone can join. There are hundreds of
events, all organized by the COP26 Coalition, a huge group of
"environment and development NGOs, trade unions, grassroots community
campaigns, faith groups, youth groups, migrant and racial justice
networks – to name a few".

It's not our job to convince ourselves that what has happened doesn't
hurt. When we admit that hurt to ourselves, there's a tendency to throw
our hands up and give in to despair. I've been there. It's seductive.
But it's also a luxury we can't afford to dwell inside of, and we have a
duty to help our friends out of.

The plain reality is that these are going to be difficult years. But
giving up is never an option. We are doing this work together, for each
other.

This is the struggle we were born into.
The Phoenix
*You were born at just the right time to change everything.*
https://thephoenix.earth/cop-is-broken/

/[  What about old ideas? Asks the Washington Post. Aspirational opinion ] /
*The magic 1.5: What's behind climate talks' key elusive goal*
By Seth Borenstein | AP - Nov, 7, 2021
For protesters and activists, the phrase is “1.5 to stay alive.”...
- -
“It’s physically possible (to limit warming to 1.5 degrees), but I think
it is close to politically impossible in the real world barring
miracles,” Columbia University climate scientist Adam Sobel said. “Of
course we should not give up advocating for it.”

A dozen other climate scientists told The Associated Press essentially
the same thing — that if dramatic emission reductions start immediately
the world can keep within 1.5 degrees. But they don’t see signs of that
happening.
- -
The 2018 IPCC report found that compared to 2 degrees, stopping warming
at 1.5 would mean:

— Fewer deaths and illnesses from heat, smog and infectious diseases.

— Half as many people would suffer from lack of water.

— Some coral reefs may survive.

— There’s less chance for summers without sea ice in the Arctic.

— The West Antarctic ice sheet might not kick into irreversible melting.

— Seas would rise nearly 4 inches (0.1 meters) less.

— Half as many animals with back bones and plants would lose the
majority of their habitats.

— There would be substantially fewer heat waves, downpours and droughts.

“For some people this is a life-or-death situation without a doubt,”
report lead author Cornell University climate scientist Natalie Mahowald
said at the time.

That finding that there’s a massive difference to Earth with far less
damage at 1.5 is the biggest climate science finding in the last six
years, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research Director Johan
Rockstrom said in an interview at the Glasgow conference.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-magic-15-whats-behind-climate-talks-key-elusive-goal/2021/11/07/3e032572-3f9f-11ec-bd6f-da376f47304e_story.html

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming November  8, 1989*
November 8, 1989: Margaret Thatcher delivers an address to the UN
General Assembly on global warming, noting that societies should have
economic growth "which does not plunder the planet today and leave our
children to deal with the consequences tomorrow."

http://www.margaretthatcher.org/document/107817

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnAzoDtwCBg&sns=em

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry