[✔️] November 9, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Tue Nov 9 07:44:17 EST 2021

/*November 9, 2021*/

/[ WAPO noticed, reports in Text and Video - sponsored message by Exxon ]/
*Countries’ climate pledges built on flawed data, **Post investigation
finds*
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/greenhouse-gas-emissions-pledges-data/

- -

/[ Big error - every country measures differently ]/
*Massive gap found between nations' reporting, actual emissions: analysis*
A number of countries throughout the world are significantly
underreporting the amount of greenhouse gases they emit, according to a
new analysis from The Washington Post.

The Post, which examined United Nations reports from 196 countries,
reported on Sunday that large gaps exist between emissions that nations
report to the UN and the actual amount of greenhouse gases they release
into the atmosphere.

Those discrepancies reportedly range from 8.5 billion to 13.3 billion
tons of underreported emissions, which the newspaper said is a large
enough statistic to have an impact on how warm the planet will become.
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/580504-massive-gap-found-between-nations-reporting-emissions-analysis

- -

/[ Ooops, forgot to report, policy suffers- says CBS WAPO video ]
/*Emissions drastically underreported, Washington Post investigation finds*
Nov 8, 2021
CBS News
An investigation of 196 countries by the Washington Post found that
emissions are underreported by billions of tons. Stanford Earth
scientist and chair of the Global Carbon Project Rob Jackson joins
CBSN's Elaine Quijano to explain why./
/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgqijrSEOcc

/[  Radio On Point, hear the voices -/ 47:27/] /
*The case for climate reparations*
Nov 8, 2021 - - Jonathan Chang & Meghna Chakrabarti
Climate change has a disproportionate impact on the Global South. So
should the world's industrialized nations make reparations?
There’s a tragic irony to climate change, according to New York Magazine
editor David Wallace-Wells:

“The rich countries of the world ... that have produced this warming,
they’re not in such hot parts of the world," he says. "The Global South
in particular are being hit much more intensely, and they bare very
little responsibility for the crisis.”

Be the first to know about WBUR's soon-to-come environmental newsletter.
Sign up now.

Wallace-Wells says the U.S. would not be where it is today if not for a
century spent burning fossil fuels.

"You could really closely correlate their economic and even geopolitical
standing with how much they’ve done to the planet," he adds.

So how can America grapple with the implications of climate change?
Wallace-Wells says only through an honest and moral reckoning:

"[It] requires those of us in these rich and powerful countries to
leverage that wealth and that power towards helping those who are
suffering the most from our pollution," he says.

Today, On Point: David Wallace-Wells makes the case for climate reparations.
- -
https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2021/11/08/climate-change-reparations-environment-global-south

/[  Intelligent commentary - audio podcast ~ 30 min  ] /
*If We Can’t Stop Climate Change, We Must Get Better at Climate
Preparedness.*
JEFF SCHECHTMAN
11/05/21
With every new climate-induced disaster, we hear from politicians and
government officials that “nobody expected it.” Samantha Montano calls
BS on that tired refrain.

Montano, our guest on this week’s WhoWhatWhy podcast, is a professor of
emergency management at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy and the
author of Disasterology: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the Climate
Crisis.

If we are to relieve suffering, Montano says, we must focus larger
portions of our resources on disaster management and learn how to better
mitigate all but certain future disasters.

She makes it clear that planning agencies like FEMA, first responders
like firefighters, and disaster cleanup technologists will be far more
important in surviving the consequences of climate change than splashy
international summits like COP26.
https://whowhatwhy.org/podcast/if-we-cant-stop-climate-change-we-must-get-better-at-climate-preparedness/

- -

/[ read her book or study the new field ]/
*Disasterology: Dispatches From The Frontlines of The Climate Crisis *
Part memoir, part expert analysis, Disasterology is a passionate and
personal account of a country in crisis—one unprepared to deal with the
disasters of today and those looming in our future.

With temperatures rising and the risk of disasters growing, our world is
increasingly vulnerable. Most people see disasters as freak, natural
events that are unpredictable and unpreventable. But that simply isn’t
the case – disasters are avoidable, but when they do strike, there are
strategic ways to manage the fallout.

  In Disasterology, Dr. Montano, a disaster researcher, brings readers
with her on an eye-opening journey through some of our worst disasters,
helping readers make sense of what really happened from an emergency
management perspective. She explains why we aren’t doing enough to
prevent or prepare for disasters, the critical role of media, and how
our approach to recovery was not designed to serve marginalized
communities. Now that climate change is contributing to the disruption
of ecosystems and worsening disasters, Dr. Montano offers a preview of
what will happen to our communities if we don’t take aggressive,
immediate action. In a section devoted to the COVID-19 pandemic, what is
thus far our generation’s most deadly disaster, she casts light on the
many decisions made behind closed doors that failed to protect the public.

  A deeply moving and timely narrative that draws on Dr. Montano's
first-hand experience in emergency management, Disasterology is
essential reading for anyone who wants to understand how our country
handles disasters, and how we can better face them together.
http://www.disaster-ology.com/

- -

/[ $ Open up the wallet and step forward $ ]/
*Disaster Prep Kits Get a Makeover*
The climate crisis has spawned an unlikely new area of fashion
entrepreneurship.
- -
There are companies in this category that have been around for years,
catering to survivalists and ex-military types, such as Uncharted Supply
Co. (which sells streamlined backpacks containing small shovels,
stormproof matches and water filters), and My Medic (which sells
extensive first aid supplies packaged in utilitarian bags). But as far
as Ms. McGuire was concerned, these brands target “outdoorsy, cis white
men,” with marketing materials that often feature muscular white guys
wearing flannel shirts in the forest.

As a result, a new wave of emergency preparation companies has arisen:
ones that cater to a more style-conscious clientele. Foremost among them
are Preppi, a Goop-approved brand that sells disaster supplies in
minimalist backpacks, and Judy, which has tapped celebrities like the
Kardashians, Chrissy Teigen and TikTok sensation Addison Rae to promote
its portable generators and waterproof supply packs...
- -
Since its launch in January 2020, Judy has sold over 25,000 disaster
kits, accrued nearly 60,000 followers on its meme-strewn Instagram page,
and attracted 45,000 subscribers to its text-message service that
provides free emergency prep information. Mr. Huck said the business is
on track to double in month-over-month growth in 2021...
- -
For Ms. McGuire, the price of Judy products ended up feeling
prohibitive, as did what she perceived to be a lack of interest on the
brand’s part in serving the working class people that tend to most need
disaster relief. She’s still interested in emergency readiness for her
own family, but she’s starting with prep that doesn’t cost anything,
like gathering important documents in easy-to-grab, waterproof containers.

Even Mr. Huck can see the wisdom in that.

“The number one thing you can do to save lives is make an emergency
plan, more so than actually having a physical product,” he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/style/disaster-prep-kits.html
- -
https://judy.co/ *PREPARE NOW. **WORRY LESS LATER.*
- -
https://www.preppi.co/ *Be ready for anything !*
- -
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/ *Power Through Anything*
- -
https://mymedic.com/ *EX[EXPERIENCE ELEVATED FIRST AID*

/[ Return to building up the library ] /
*Titles for getting down to climate business now that children are back
to school*
A dozen books to help you go back to schooling on climate change.
by MICHAEL SVOBODA - SEPTEMBER 21, 2021
- -
*State of the Climate in 2020 (NOAA/Bulletin of the American
Meteorological Society 2021*, 481 pages, free download available
here/executive summary available here)

This is the 31st issuance of the annual assessment now known as State of
the Climate, published in the Bulletin since 1996. As a supplement to
the Bulletin, its foremost function is to document the status and
trajectory of many components of the climate system. However, as a
series, the report also documents the status and trajectory of our
capacity and commitment to observe the climate system. The report,
compiled by NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information, is
based on contributions from scientists from around the world. It
provides a detailed update on global climate indicators, notable weather
events, and other data collected by environmental monitoring stations
and instruments located on land, water, ice, and in space.

Editor’s note: See also World Meteorological Organization’s State of the
Global Climate 2020.
- -
*They Knew: The U.S. Federal Government’s Fifty-Year Role in Causing the
Climate Crisis,* by James Gustave Speth (The MIT Press 2021, 304 pages,
$27.95)

In 2015, a group of 21 young people sued the federal government for
violating their constitutional rights by promoting climate catastrophe
and thereby depriving them of life, liberty, and property without due
process.  Tapped by the plaintiffs in Juliana vs United States,
environmental lawyer James Gustave Speth analyzed how administrations
from Carter to Trump—despite having information about the impending
climate crisis and the connection to fossil fuels – continued aggressive
support of a fossil fuel based energy system. What did the federal
government know and when did it know it? Speth asks, echoing another
famous cover-up. They Knew (an updated version of the report Speth
prepared for the lawsuit) presents the most definitive indictment yet of
the US government’s role in the climate crisis.
- -
*Our Biggest Experiment: An Epic History of the Climate Crisis*, by
Alice Bell (Counterpoint 2021, 288 pages, $26.00)

In Our Biggest Experiment, science communicator Alice Bell takes us back
to climate change science’s earliest steps in the eighteenth and
nineteenth centuries, through the point when concern started to rise in
the 1950s and right up to today, when the world is finally starting to
face up to the reality that things are going to get a lot hotter, a lot
drier (in some places), and a lot wetter (in others), with catastrophic
consequences. Our Biggest Experiment recounts how the world became
addicted to fossil fuels, how we discovered that electricity could be a
savior, and how renewable energy is far from a twentieth-century
discovery. The message she relays is ultimately hopeful; harnessing the
ingenuity and intelligence that has driven the history of climate change
research can result in a more sustainable and bearable future for humanity.
- -
*Disasterology: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the Climate Crisis,*
by Samantha Montano (Park Row 2021, 384 pages, $28.99

In Disasterology, Dr. Montano, a disaster researcher, brings readers
with her on an eye-opening journey through some of our worst disasters.
She explains why we aren’t doing enough to prevent or prepare for
disasters, the critical role of media, and how our approach to recovery
was not designed to serve marginalized communities. Dr. Montano offers a
preview of what will happen to our communities if we don’t take
aggressive, immediate action on climate change. In a section devoted to
the COVID-19 pandemic, she casts light on the many decisions made behind
closed doors that failed to protect the public. A deeply moving and
timely narrative that draws on Dr. Montano’s first-hand experience in
emergency management, Disasterology is essential reading for anyone who
wants to understand how we can better face disasters together.
- -
*Drought, Flood, Fire: How Climate Change Contributes to Catastrophes*,
by Chris Funk (Cambridge University Press 2021, 332 pages, $24.95)

Every year, droughts, floods, and fires impact hundreds of millions of
people and cause massive economic losses. Climate change is making these
catastrophes more dangerous. Now. Not in the future: NOW. Chris C.
Funk’s book combines the latest science with compelling stories to
provide a timely, accessible, and beautifully-written synopsis of how
climate change is already fomenting dire consequences, and will
certainly make things worse in the future. After describing our unique
and fragile Earth system, Funk examines recent climate-related disasters
and their human consequences. By calling attention to these already
occurring impacts, Funk delivers a clarion call for social change, yet
also convey hope for our collective future.
- -
*Unnatural Disasters: Why Most Responses to Risk and Climate Change Fail
But Some Succeed*, by Gonzalo Lizarralde (Columbia University Press
2021, 328 pages, $35.00)

Unnatural Disasters offers a new perspective on our most pressing
environmental and social challenges, revealing the gaps between abstract
concepts like sustainability, resilience, and innovation and the
real-world experiences of people living at risk. Gonzalo Lizarralde
explains how the causes of disasters are not natural but all too human:
inequality, segregation, marginalization, colonialism, neoliberalism,
racism, and unrestrained capitalism. He tells the stories of Latin
American migrants, Haitian earthquake survivors, Canadian climate
activists, African slum dwellers, and other people resisting social and
environmental injustices around the world. Lizarralde shows how
disasters have become both the causes and consequences of today’s most
urgent challenges and proposes achievable solutions to save a planet at
risk.
- -
*Overheated: How Capitalism Broke the Planet – and How We Fight Back*,
by Kate Aronoff (Bold Type Books 2021, 432 pages, $30.00)

It has become impossible to deny that the planet is warming, and that
governments must act. But a new denialism is taking root in the halls of
power, shaped by decades of neoliberal policies and centuries of
anti-democratic thinking. Since the 1980s, Democrats and Republicans
have each granted enormous concessions to industries hell bent on
maintaining business as usual. This approach, journalist Kate Aronoff
makes clear, has only made things worse. Drawing on years of reporting,
Aronoff lays out an alternative vision, detailing how democratic
majorities can curb polluters’ power; create millions of well-paid,
union jobs; enact climate reparations; and trans-form the economy into a
more leisurely and sustainable one. The fate of our world is at stake.
- -
*Climate Change Is Racist: Race, Privilege and the Struggle for Climate
Justice*, by Jeremy Williams (Icon Books 2021, 208 pages, $16.95 paperback)

When we talk about racism, we often mean personal prejudice or
institutional biases. Climate change doesn’t work that way. It is
structurally racist, disproportionately caused by majority White people
in majority White countries, with the damage unleashed overwhelmingly on
people of color. In this eye-opening book, writer and environmental
activist Jeremy Williams takes us on a short, urgent journey across the
globe – from Kenya to India, the USA to Australia – to understand how
White privilege and climate change overlap. We’ll look at the
environmental facts, hear the experiences of the people most affected on
our planet and learn from the activists leading the change. It’s time
for each of us to find our place in the global struggle for justice.
- -
*Climate Change and Social Vulnerability in the United States: A Focus
on Six Impacts*, by Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA 2021,101
pages, free download available here)

Climate change affects all Americans – regardless of socioeconomic
status – and many impacts are projected to worsen. But individuals will
not equally experience these changes. The EPA’s  new report, Climate
Change and Social Vulnerability in the United States, improves our
understanding of the degree to which four socially vulnerable
populations – defined based on income, educational attainment, race and
ethnicity, and age – may be more exposed to the highest impacts of
climate change. Understanding the comparative risks to vulnerable
populations is critical for developing effective and equitable
strategies for responding to climate change.

Editor’s note: See also World Meteorological Organization’s Atlas of
Mortality and Economic Losses from Weather, Climate, and Water Extremes,
1970–2019 (UN WMO 2021).
- -
*Saving Us: A Climate Scientist’s Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided
World*, by Katharine Hayhoe (Atria / Simon & Schuster 2021, 320 pages,
$27.00)

Called “one of the nation’s most effective communicators on climate
change” by The New York Times, Katharine Hayhoe knows how to navigate
all sides of the conversation on our changing planet. In Saving Us,
Hayhoe argues that when it comes to changing hearts and minds, facts are
only one part of the equation. We need to find shared values in order to
connect our unique identities to collective action. Drawing on
interdisciplinary research and personal stories, Hayhoe shows that small
conversations can have astonishing results. Saving Us leaves us with the
tools to open a dialogue with your loved ones about how we all can play
a role in pushing past doomsday narratives about a planet on fire.
- -
*1001 Voices on Climate Change: Everyday Stories of Flood, Fire,
Drought, and Displacement from Around the World*, by Devi Lockwood
(Tiller Press / Simon & Schuster 2021, 352 pages, $26.00)

In 1,001 Voices on Climate Change, Lockwood travels the world, often by
bicycle, collecting first-person accounts of climate change. She
frequently carried with her a simple cardboard sign reading, “Tell me a
story about climate change.” Over five years, covering twenty countries
across six continents, Lockwood heard from thousands. From Denmark to
China, from Turkey to the Peruvian Amazon, she finds that ordinary
people sharing their stories does far more to advance understanding and
empathy than even the most alarming statistics and studies. This book is
a hopeful global listening tour for climate change, channeling the
urgency of those who have already glimpsed the future to help us avoid
the worst.
- -
*Believers: Making a Life at the End of the World,* by Lisa Wells
(Farrar, Strau & Giroux 2021, 352 pages, $28.00)

Like most of us, Lisa Wells has spent years overwhelmed by increasingly
urgent news of climate change on an apocalyptic scale. She did not need
to be convinced of the stakes, but she could not find practical answers.
So she embarked on a pilgrimage, tracking down and meeting with people
who are dedicated to repairing the earth and seemingly undaunted by the
task ahead. Through empathic portraits, Wells shows that these
trailblazers are not so far beyond the rest of us. They have accepted
that we are living through a global catastrophe. But they are also
trying to answer the next question: How do you make a life at the end of
the world? Believers demands transformation. It will change how you
think about your own actions, about how you can still make an impact,
and about how we might yet reckon with our inheritance.
- -
https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/09/titles-for-getting-down-to-climate-business-now-that-children-are-back-to-school/

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming November 9, 2011*
November 9, 2011: The Guardian reports:

    "The world is likely to build so many fossil-fuelled power stations,
    energy-guzzling factories and inefficient buildings in the next five
    years that it will become impossible to hold global warming to safe
    levels, and the last chance of combating dangerous climate change
    will be 'lost for ever,' according to the most thorough analysis yet
    of world energy infrastructure."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/nov/09/fossil-fuel-infrastructure-climate-change

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry