[✔️] November 10, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Wed Nov 10 05:43:26 EST 2021

/*November 10, 2021*/

/[ Military spending is missing from climate data... Video and transcript ]/
*War Helps Fuel the Climate Crisis as U.S. Military Carbon Emissions
Exceed 140+ Nations*
NOVEMBER 09, 2021
Transcript
- -
AMY GOODMAN: Speakers at last week’s large Fridays for Future rally in
Glasgow also called out the U.S. military’s role in the climate emergency.

*AYISHA SIDDIQA*: My name is Ayisha Siddiqa. I come from northern region
of Pakistan. … The U.S. Department of Defense has a larger annual carbon
footprint than most countries on Earth, and it also is the single
largest polluter on Earth. Its military presence in my region has cost
the United States over $8 trillion since 1976. It has contributed to the
destruction of environment in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, the greater
Persian Gulf and Pakistan. Not only have Western-induced wars led to
spikes in the carbon emissions, they have led to use of depleted
uranium, and they have caused poisoning of air and water and have led to
birth defects, cancer and suffering of thousands of people.

*AMY GOODMAN: *The Costs of War project estimates the U.S. military
produced around 1.2 billion tonnes of carbon emissions between 2001 and
2017, with nearly a third coming from U.S. wars overseas, including in
Afghanistan and Iraq. By one account, the U.S. military is a larger
polluter than 140 countries combined, including numerous industrialized
nations, such as Sweden, Denmark and Portugal.

However, military carbon emissions have largely been exempted from
international climate treaties dating back to the 1997 Kyoto Protocol,
thanks to lobbying from the United States. At the time, a group of
neoconservatives, including future vice president and then-Halliburton
CEO Dick Cheney, argued in favor exempting all military emissions...
https://www.democracynow.org/2021/11/9/cop26_military_emissions_and_climate_change

/[ Future ponderings and predictions  - book title "Move" - video talk -
recorded last night ]
/*Why Mobility is Destiny | Parag Khanna*
Nov 9, 2021
Long Now Foundation
The map of humanity isn’t settled -- not now, not ever.

In the 60,000 years since people began spreading across the continents,
a recurring feature of human civilization has been mobility—the
ever-constant search for resources, stability and opportunity. Driven by
global events from conflicts, famine, repression and changing climates -
to opportunities for trade, social advancement and freedom of thought -
humans have relocated around the globe for millennia.

But what happens when billions of people are on the move? As climate
change tips toward full-blown crisis, economies collapse, governments
destabilize, and technology disrupts, we’re entering a new age of mass
migrations. Futurist Parag Khanna uncovers the deep trends that are
shaping the most likely scenarios for our future and asks what map of
human geography will emerge.

"Why Mobility is Destiny" was given on October 20, 02021 as part of Long
Now's Seminar series. The series was started in 02003 to build a
compelling body of ideas about long-term thinking from some of the
world's leading thinkers. The Seminars take place in San Francisco and
are curated and hosted by Stewart Brand. To follow the talks, you can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx57E9F00UA/
/

[ Greenpeace activists sail in ]
*We are in Glasgow to demand justice for those most affected by the
climate crisis...*
- -
Today there are five times more extreme weather events – devastating
storms, floods, droughts, water scarcity and heatwaves – than 50 years
ago, and they disproportionately affect those of us living in the most
vulnerable areas, especially in the global south. Last year, climate
disasters displaced more people from our communities than war and
violent conflict, again mostly from the global south.

Yet we are not the ones that have caused this crisis.

Since 1965, one-third of global emissions, driven by the relentless
exploitation of fossil fuels, have been caused by just 20 companies.
Rich nations are responsible for 92% of global emissions, with the US
and countries in Europe causing almost two-thirds of those. We’re just
the ones forced to live with, or sadly in many cases die because of, its
impacts. Yet our voices continue to be sidelined.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/02/glasgow-justice-climate-crisis-rainbow-warrior-cop26-global-south

/[ bogus data, heated air, warming waters, rising distrust ] /
*Report exposes the shaky data undermining the world’s progress on
climate change*
As world leaders gather for COP26, an investigation from the Washington
Post finds countries are seriously underreporting their emissions.
- -
“The plan to save the world from the worst of climate change is built on
data,” the report, which assessed the emissions numbers that 196
countries reported to the U.N. against independent scientific global
emissions assessments, said. “But the data the world is relying on is
inaccurate.” ...
- -
“I do think that civil society, nongovernmental organizations, like the
Washington Post itself with this report — that’s going to be a powerful
source of accountability,” Carlarne said. “Reputational harm is one of
the biggest tools that can be used against these big state actors in
this context.”

Schmidt, who is attending COP26 this week, told Grist that the
Washington Post’s report is already having an impact on negotiations in
Scotland. “I think it’s put increased pressure on what the actual impact
of these policies are,” he said. “We’ve got a growing number of pledges
and promises that put us within a closer reach of 1.5 degrees Celsius,
but the reality is not yet delivering that.”
https://grist.org/cop26/report-exposes-the-shaky-data-undermining-the-worlds-progress-on-climate-change/

/[  Capture the eye at COP26 ]/
*Images of Tuvalu minister giving COP26 statement in the ocean go viral
on social media*
Foreign Minister Simon Kofe addressed cameras while knee-deep in the
ocean to highlight the sea level rises affecting his nation, drawing
plenty of attention and admiration on social media.
With hundreds of speakers on the running order, it's going to take a lot
to make your message stand out at the United Nations' COP26 climate summit.

So the Pacific nation of Tuvalu took an innovative approach this week to
express the dangers it faces due to the effects of the climate crisis -
and it's gone viral on social media.

In a pre-recorded statement shot by public broadcaster TVBC, Foreign
Minister Simon Kofe addressed cameras while knee-deep in the ocean to
highlight the sea level rises affecting Pacific nations such as his...
- -
https://sl.sbs.com.au/public/image/file/01e3282d-21d8-4f87-85dd-d8a45323b0f9/crop/16x9?imwidth=1920
The video will be played on Tuesday in Glasgow as part of the Pacific
Climate Change Mobility and Human Security side event at COP26.
https://www.cnet.com/news/5-facts-that-debunk-climate-change-misinformation//

/[ action and emotions ]/
*‘I get scared’: the young activists sounding the alarm from climate
tipping points*
 From Philippines to Greenland, protecting dying coral reefs to melting
ice sheets, young people are fighting for their futures
Mélissa Godin  7 Nov 2021
For millions of young people around the world, climate breakdown is
something they have known their entire lives. Many live in regions that
are particularly at risk of being affected by tipping points - parts of
the Earth’s system where small changes, such as increased temperatures,
could lead to accelerated and irreversible impacts.

A landmark IPCC report earlier this year warned that tipping points such
as melting ice sheets or Amazon forest loss could soon be triggered,
with the potential to bring catastrophic change to vulnerable areas.

But rather than be paralysed by fear, these young activists are taking
action. From protecting coral reefs to organising protests, they are
doing what they can to try to stop the tipping points from being passed.

“They’re doing it right,” says Prof Tim Lenton, a leading expert on
climate tipping points from the University of Exeter. “[They are]
alerting the rest of the world from its slumber to tackle climate change
and to transform society.”...
- -
Roseline Mansaray, 26, Freetown, Sierra Leone
Roseline Mansaray has not slept in weeks. It is the rainy season in
Freetown, Sierra Leone and she is scared. “I am in panic, praying for my
country not to experience any more destructive flooding this year,” she
says...
- -
“Some models say it will get wetter, others say it will get drier,” says
Prof Lenton. “But either way would be problematic.”

Already, Mansaray has watched increased rainfall during monsoon season
devastate her community. She used to live in Kroo Bay, an informal
housing settlement where floods destroyed homes in her community,
injured her neighbours, contaminated drinking water and led to the
spread of waterborne diseases including cholera, diarrhoea and typhoid.

Then on 14 August 2017, Mansaray witnessed a hillside collapse after
heavy rains that killed an estimated 1,000 people and displaced hundreds
of families who were moved into temporary camps.
- -
Then on 14 August 2017, Mansaray witnessed a hillside collapse after
heavy rains that killed an estimated 1,000 people and displaced hundreds
of families who were moved into temporary camps.

Mansaray is doing her part to address the climate crisis: she is one of
the main organisers for Friday for Futures in Sierra Leone, planning
local street protests as well as helping organise some internationally.
For her, activism is less a choice than a matter of survival.

“I am no stranger to climate change,” she says. “I have tasted its
bitterness.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/07/young-activists-climate-tipping-points-coral-reefs-ice-sheets

/[ Blurb -- author rode bicycle gathering personal stories ]/
//*1,001 Voices on Climate Change: Everyday Stories of Flood, Fire,
Drought, and Displacement from Around the World *(Hardcover)
Paperback (June 21st, 2022): $16.00
Description
Join journalist Devi Lockwood as she bikes around the world collecting
personal stories about how flood, fire, drought, and rising seas are
changing communities.

It’s official: 2020 will be remembered as the year when apocalyptic
climate predictions finally came true. Catastrophic wildfires,
relentless hurricanes, melting permafrost, and coastal flooding have
given us a taste of what some communities have already been living with
for far too long. Yet we don’t often hear the voices of the people most
affected. Journalist Devi Lockwood set out to change that.

In 1,001 Voices on Climate Change, Lockwood travels the world, often by
bicycle, collecting first-person accounts of climate change. She
frequently carried with her a simple cardboard sign reading, “Tell me a
story about climate change.”

Over five years, covering twenty countries across six continents,
Lockwood hears from indigenous elders and youth in Fiji and Tuvalu about
drought and disappearing coastlines, attends the UN climate conference
in Morocco, and bikes the length of New Zealand and Australia,
interviewing the people she meets about retreating glaciers,
contaminated rivers, and wildfires. She rides through Thailand, Laos,
and Cambodia to listen to marionette puppeteers and novice Buddhist monks.

 From Denmark and Sweden to China, Turkey, the Canadian Arctic, and the
Peruvian Amazon, she finds that ordinary people sharing their stories
does far more to advance understanding and empathy than even the most
alarming statistics and studies. This book is a hopeful global listening
tour for climate change, channeling the urgency of those who have
already glimpsed the future to help us avoid the worst.
- -
"This is a great adventure story, but also a completely necessary
book—the climate crisis has reached the point where people around the
world feel it, understand it, and talk about it in ways that everyone
needs to hear."—Bill McKibben, author of The End of Nature

"A hybrid of travel literature and oral history, Lockwood somehow
shrinks the ungraspably vast problem of climate change down to a human
scale, then, patiently, carefully, combines those individual voices into
a planetary chorus. A monumental achievement."—Robert Moor, bestselling
author of On Trails: An Exploration

"Devi Lockwood's luminous book, 1,001 Voices on Climate Change, is a
testament to the power of listening, and an amazing chance to let
yourself hear the symphony of grief and of courage that plays through
lives of people around the world, all trying to find their way on a
relentlessly changing planet." —Deborah Blum, Pulitzer-prize winning
author of The Poison Squad and The Poisoner's Handbook

" "Tell me a story." Is there a more fundamentally human sentence than
that? Devi Lockwood circles the globe, seeking people’s experiences with
water and climate change, from cultural myths, to rising seas’ impacts
on daily life, to one woman’s pain, tuned to the voices of the trees.
Lockwood seeks and you, dear reader, shall find." —Erica Gies,
environmental journalist, science journalist, and author of the upcoming
book Water Always Wins: Going with the Flow to Thrive in an Age of
Droughts, Floods, and Climate Change.

“In a world that needs more listening and more storytelling, Devi
Lockwood covers the waterfront. This is an empathetic and beautiful
book.” —Richard Louv, author of The Nature Principle and Our Wild Calling

“In the spirit of Arabian Nights, Lockwood summons the power of
storytelling to cast a spell of empathy and understanding regarding our
world’s greatest existential threat. 1,001 Voices on Climate Change
takes readers on a global cycling journey, translating science into
stories, to chronicle the human toll of the climate crisis.” —Mona
Hanna-Attisha, Flint pediatrician and author of What the Eyes Don't See:
A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City

"This dazzling and significant collection captures the voices of people
around the world, from Tuvalu to Thailand, from Australia to Kazakhstan,
who are experiencing firsthand the life-altering effects of climate
change. Lockwood’s approach to recounting their stories is compassionate
and impassioned, focused as much on the tiny details of life as the
larger planetary changes afoot in her interviewees’ own backyards. 1001
Voices on Climate Change is beautiful and necessary reading." —Amy
Brady, executive director of Orion...
- -
ISBN: 9781982146719
ISBN-10: 1982146710
Publisher: Tiller Press
Publication Date: August 24th, 2021
Pages: 352
Language: English
https://www.portersquarebooks.com/book/9781982146719

/[ Pretend we do data processing - and w//e want to know the future,
explain models - 40 min video lesson ]/
*Climate change 3 - future scenarios*
Nov 9, 2020
HortiBonn
This video was produced for the module ‘Tree phenology analysis with R’,
which is offered to MSc students in agricultural programs at the
University of Bonn in Germany. The materials are also accessible to
anyone not taking this class. The module revolves around functions of
the ‘chillR’ package for R, with the ambition that students of this
course will be able to conduct analyses of climate change impacts on
deciduous trees during their dormancy season.

This specific video is one of four contributions on climate change. This
is video 3, which discusses future climate scenarios.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6fAxBEkCE

/[ You know all this already anyway  - text and audio ]/
*5 facts that debunk climate change misinformation*
 From natural disasters to high carbon dioxide levels, climate change is
here.
Oscar Gonzalez
Nov. 8, 2021 ...
- -

    *Fact: Climate change is real, and the evidence is unequivocal ...*
    *Fact: Weather and climate are separate entities...*
    *Fact: Solar and wind energy are now cheaper to produce than fossil
    fuel energy ...*
    *Fact: Increased levels of carbon dioxide are bad for the planet...*
    *Fact: There are more extreme weather events happening now...*

- -
Warmer air also holds more water vapor resulting in more rain causing
increased flooding, Perron said. The warmer air with more water also
leads to surfaces becoming drier, which leads to more wildfires.
https://www.cnet.com/news/5-facts-that-debunk-climate-change-misinformation/

/[ now is time to notice details ]/
*The 10 Weirdest Ways Climate Change Is Screwing With Our World*
Darker Earth? Bigger crabs? Shifting poles? Yup, they're all tied to
climate change.
Brian Kahn - Nov 8, 2021
https://gizmodo.com/the-10-strangest-climate-change-impacts-1847875174

/[  Learning about the Electric Grid - a video lesson from John Oliver ]/
*The Power Grid: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)*
Nov 7, 2021
LastWeekTonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpiXcyB7wU

/[  finally  ]/
*Canadian doctor says patient is suffering from 'climate change'*
by JULIAN BARON | The National Desk -  November 8th 2021
WASHINGTON (TND) — Dr. Kyle Merritt, a Canadian emergency room doctor,
recently diagnosed a patient as suffering from "climate change" after
she came to the hospital experiencing breathing problems, according to
an interview with the Times Colonist.

The patient reportedly has a history of health problems, including
diabetes and heart failure. Merritt attributes the patient's breathing
problems to air pollution created by an active wildfire season, which he
further connects to climate change.

"If we're not looking at the underlying cause, and we're just treating
the symptoms, we're just gonna keep falling further and further behind,"
Merritt, who works in a small British Columbia town, told the Times
Colonist.
In late June, the region experienced an extreme heatwave that coincided
with a dramatic increase in heat-related deaths, according to the
British Columbia Coroners Service, which has not attributed the spike to
climate change.

All of her health problems have all been worsened. And she's really
struggling to stay hydrated," Dr. Merritt said of the patient.
The U.S. Air Quality Index (AQI) categorizes air quality depending on
how significantly it affects the public, including a category titled
"Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups."

"When air quality is in this range, people who are in sensitive groups,
whether the increased risk is due to medical conditions, exposure
conditions, or innate susceptibility, may experience health effects when
engaged in outdoor activities. However, exposures to ambient
concentrations in this range are not likely to result in effects in the
general population," according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
https://local12.com/news/nation-world/canadian-doctor-says-patient-is-suffering-from-climate-change

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming November 10, 2014*
The Boston Globe reports:
"Professors at Boston-area colleges are adding their voices to a
student-led movement that is pressing higher education institutions to
shed investments in fossil fuel companies.

"The growing faculty involvement has not only galvanized the effort with
increased support but also added an important and unique perspective,
activists say."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/11/10/fuel-divestment-movement-grows-boston-campuses/uOKCKYo71b6QhMVaKmQQNK/story.html

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry