[✔️] November 13, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Nov 13 12:06:06 EST 2021

/*November 13, 2021*/

/[ The Pope speaks up ] /
*Pope Francis Warns of Eternal Damnation for Screwing This Up*
The plea came in a letter to Irish Catholics where Francis called on his
followers to pray for negotiators at the COP26 climate summit.
11-12-21

    Pope Francis
    @Pontifex
    It is time to develop a new form of universal solidarity that is
    grounded in fraternity, love, and mutual understanding: one that
    values people over profit, one that seeks new ways to understand
    development and progress. #COP26
    https://twitter.com/Pontifex/status/1458804205012111368

https://gizmodo.com/pope-francis-warns-of-eternal-damnation-for-screwing-th-1848047483

/[ Climate Change and Gender at COP26  ]/
*Bloomberg Quicktake "Take the Lead" Full Show (11/10/21)*
This is news for the new media. Watch global stories and go deeper with
original shows on business, technology, politics, and culture.
November 10th, 2021
Rebecca Weston of Climate Psychology Alliance - addresses Eco-Anxiety
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2021-11-11/bloomberg-quicktake-take-the-lead-full-show-11-10-21-video

/[ Cryologist clearly describes changes to Greenland Ice sheet and gives
overall briefing on ice melt - 18 min video ]/
*Professor Jason Box | Greenland today & [not for] tomorrow #COP26Glasgow*
Nov 12, 2012
Nick Breeze ClimateGENN
Greenland is beyond its threshold of viability and is highly responsive
to anthropogenic warming. Here Professor Jason Box gives an in-depth
explanation of the processes that are not currently in climate models
that are leading us towards a 'Faster Than Forecast' impacts from the
collapse of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6LrGetz10g
- -
/[ see it defined in an animation ]/
September 7, 2017
*Evidence of sea level 'fingerprints'*
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2626/evidence-of-sea-level-fingerprints/

/[ Brit-based action after looking at the data on disinformation ]/
*We’re campaigning to make climate denial and misinformation unprofitable
**The Problem*
Mark Zuckerberg is on record admitting that sensationalist content and
misinformation on Facebook is good business. In 2021, the social media
giant continues to be under fire from whistleblowers, the press,
governments and advertisers on the spread of misinformation on the
platform, opening up a wider debate on Facebook’s impact on society.
Facebook claims it is fighting a multitude of issues including hate
speech, public health, elections and – lately – climate misinformation.

Stop Funding Heat’s new report, using tools and expertise from the
Institute for Strategic Dialogue and CASM Technology, brings fresh
evidence to the table, finding that climate misinformation is rampant on
Facebook, while the platform directly receives thousands of dollars to
place climate misinformation on its advertising platform.
- -
*The Solution*
We are asking Facebook to show us, not tell us how much they care about
climate misinformation with the following actions.

– Adopt and publicise a definition of climate misinformation that
follows the latest climate communication science

– Share its internal research on how climate misinformation spreads on
the platform

– Confirm and properly enforce a total ban on climate misinformation in
paid advertising on the platform

– Produce a transparent, public-facing plan to meaningfully reduce the
spread of climate misinformation on the platform, including adding
climate misinformation to community standards, a more transparent
fact-checking process, debunking misinformation in real-time, and
standards to de-platform deliberate repeat offenders
https://stopfundingheat.info/facebook-in-denial/

[ Opinion--  What if?  What then? What do you mean? ]
THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
*Would Russia or China Help Us if We Were Invaded by Space Aliens?*
Nov. 1, 2021...
- -
Global warming is challenging every nation with more extreme weather,
wildfires and sea level rise and once-in-a-century storms coming much
more frequently. Unlike with a space alien, though, there’s zero
possibility of negotiating with Mother Nature. She does only whatever
chemistry, biology and physics dictate, and she has no clue or interest
in where the borders of Russia, America or China stop and start. She’s
got the whole wide world in her hands — as she demonstrated with the
Covid-19 pandemic.

Yet neither China’s president, Xi Jinping, nor Russia’s president,
Vladimir Putin, is attending the Glasgow climate summit, which opened
Sunday, in person with President Biden and many other world leaders. And
even more important, The Washington Post reported last week that some in
the Chinese leadership want to resist any substantial cooperation with
America on climate issues until the United States dials down its
pressure on China “over human rights, Hong Kong, Taiwan, trade and a
range of other issues.”
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/01/opinion/climate-glasgow-russia-china.html

/[ looking at the data ]/
*Climate change: These charts show what carbon emissions are doing to
the planet*
NOV 12 2021
Chloe Taylor - @CHLOETAYLOR141
-- In 2019, atmospheric CO2 concentrations hit levels not seen on Earth
for more than 3 million years.
-- Warmer temperatures are translating to higher sea levels, as sea ice
and glaciers melt and seawater undergoes thermal expansion as it warms.
The United States rejoined the Paris Agreement earlier this year after
former President Donald Trump withdrew from the treaty.

According to researchers at Our World in Data, global carbon emissions
have been rapidly rising since the mid-20th century, peaking in 2019
before falling slightly last year. The organization’s data shows that
emissions continued to rise after the Paris Agreement came into force...
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/12/cop26-charts-show-what-carbon-emissions-are-doing-to-the-planet.html

/[  And running out of time to choose ] /
*Prevent Catastrophic Climate Change Or Keep Burning Coal? You Can’t
Have Both.*
"By 2030 in the United States, we won’t have coal,” US Special
Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry claimed this week.

Zahra Hirji --BuzzFeed News Reporter
November 11, 2021
- -
Countries can either keep using coal at current levels or limit future
warming to the 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) target of
the Paris climate agreement. It’s impossible to do both. But this
scientific reality has been an elephant in the room of high-level
international climate negotiations for years — until now...
- -
But in a sign of how messy the international politics on coal are, a
separate but overlapping coalition to end coal launched the same day in
Glasgow. This second group signed the new “Global Coal to Clean Power
Transition Statement,” committing to, among other things, “end all
investment in new coal power generation domestically and
internationally” and “phase out coal power in economies in the 2030s for
major economies and 2040s for the rest of the world.”...
- -
The science is also clear that coal is just awful for the climate. Coal
is the most carbon-intensive energy source, responsible for about 40% of
carbon emissions tied to global fossil fuel use

That’s why a growing number of officials are saying that ditching coal
is among the most important steps to take for tackling climate change.
Just last week, for example, Canadian environment and climate change
minister Steven Guilbeault said in Glasgow: “Ending emissions of coal
power is one of the single most important steps we must take to meet the
goals of the Paris climate agreement and the 1.5 degree target.”
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zahrahirji/climate-change-coal-power-paris-agreement

- -

/[ 2 part video about Hotshots - Vimeo ]/
*Hotshots (Part One) - California FOREST NEWS - Episode #6
*In this episode, the first of a two-part series, we catch up with the
Eldorado Hotshots to learn what a Hotshot crew is and how they protect
communities and natural resources from high-intensity wildfire.
https://vimeo.com/644031972*
**- -
*/[ more dramatic video and poignant conversation ]/
*Hotshots (Part Two) - California FOREST NEWS - Episode #7*
In this episode, the second of a two-part series, we continue our
conversation with the Eldorado Hotshots. Learn how a longer, more
intense wildfire season can impact wildland firefighters as they protect
communities and natural resources from high-intensity wildfire.
https://vimeo.com/644416013

/[  goes up must come down ] /
*Is the World Learning the Lessons of a Collapsing America?*
Predatory Societies Self-Destruct Into Fascism and Hate — But Is the
World Learning America’s Lesson?
umair haque - Nov 8, 2021
There is, by now, a certain trope in science fiction circles called the
Dark Forest scenario. Why isn’t there any life out there? Well, there
is, says the Dark Forest scenario. Only because there is a predatory
galactic mega civilization, everyone’s hiding out, scared in the woods.
If they pop their heads out — wham! Hence…a universe without the
appearance of life.

That’s nice, and it’s certainly entertaining, but the economist in me
can also tell you it’s wrong. There is nothing of the sort happening out
there. We know what happens to predatory societies, or civilizations.
They don’t endure. They collapse from within, under the weight of their
own cruelty, indifference, corruption, stupidity, fanaticism, and
fascism. It’s happened over and over again in history. And right about
now, in history’s most vivid example yet, it’s happening to America.

I bring all this up, this sci-fi scenario, for a reason. Americans don’t
understand the price of being a predatory society. Americans lionise
predation, in all its forms. They love guns and hunting and greed and
money and power. They are the world’s most predatory people probably
since the Romans, easily for the last millennium, and before you bring
up the Nazis, let me remind you that the Nazis admired and
studied…America...
- -
The problem with all this is that we now know a certain lesson from
history. It’s a beautiful one. An optimistic one, an elegant one, and
above all, one which reminds us who we really are. I’ll come back to
that last abstract point. The lesson, though, is this: predatory
societies don’t grow, multiply, and prosper — they collapse and implode
from within. That is a lesson each and every one of us must learn now if
we wish to consider ourselves educated people. After all, our future as
a civilisation now depends on being something more, higher, and nobler
than predatory.
- -
How did America get here? Well, the answer is very simple. A predatory
society is also one which underinvests and overconsumes...
- -
How am I better off when you have public goods? Well, when you have the
public good of education, I don’t have to suffer your fanaticism,
stupidity, and extremism. But America doesn’t offer public higher
education like, say, Canada and Europe do. The result is that America’s
uneducated masses are the ones behind its now constant pulsations of
fascism — ones which, for example, just elevated a Trumpist to Governor
of Virginia, and are almost certain to re-elect Trump next time around.

All public goods have such “positive externalities.” Your education
prevents fascism and fanaticism even for me. Your healthcare prevents me
getting ill, too — isn’t Covid a vivid enough example? You having good
media improves your sanity and informedness. You being able to have a
retirement then and a decent life working an honest job now means that
the economy is less unequal for me, too. I could go on endlessly.
- -
But even when Americans are taught — and grasp — the lesson that they’ll
be better off themselves with basic public goods, they still reject
them. You can see that in the following grim observation: 70–80% of
Americans say they want a society with healthcare and retirement and
education for all, not even barely half that number ever really vote for
it. Something gets in the way when it’s time to construct a functioning
society...
- -
That something is openly visible. The infrastructure bill that Democrats
are celebrating today is meaningless. It amounts to less than 1% of GDP.
That’s not to say that it won’t make minor improvements to American
life. Sure it will. But it is not enough to stop the downward spiral,
for the simple reason that going from 15% investment to 16% investment
is marginal at best. It is not transformative, it doesn’t reform
institutions, or create new systems, but merely puts dicey, short-term
band-aids on old, broken ones...
- -
*Predatory values.*
Then there’s our civilisation, as a whole, if it can even really be
called that. Do you know what kind of civilization economics says ours
is? Our consumption rate is about 80%, and our investment is just about
20%. We consume so much that the planet is obviously at this point
beginning to die, cataclysm after cataclysm of every kind, from rising
sea levels, to entire ecologies collapsing, heading our way.
We seem to see it as our right to enslave and kill everything around us,
which is a lesser being, to us, the walking apes, who consider ourselves
supreme. Everything from rivers to trees to insects to mammals has been
decimated on this planet — for the sake not of our survival, really,
because half of humanity still lives in dire poverty, but so that the
richest 1% of the planet can amass amounts of wealth so huge they make
kings of yesterday’s empires look like paupers.

*A predatory civilization.*
Will Canada and Europe — the only real beacons of grace and goodness and
sanity the world has left — endure? Or will they fall, too — absorbing
predatory values like America, from America, and crumbling from within,
broken by hate, greed, stupidity, and rage?
What kind of civilization does a hyper-predatory civilisation have,
anyways? The sci-fi nerds will tell you grandiose stories about
colonising galaxies. LOL. My friends. We aren’t even making it off the
planet we killed. Our story is the story of a hyper predatory
civilization. Want to know how it ends? Take a hard look around.
Predatory values end — as they always have — in hate, cataclysm,
disaster, corruption, selfishness, indifference.
That is why the wisest civilizations, who were the longest lived ones,
indigenous peoples, Natives, always knew it, too, and valued
cooperation, empathy, investment, togetherness, gentleness, and trust,
instead.
All of which brings me back to my question. Is the world learning a
little something about where predatory values end, before it’s too late?
Umair
Novermber 2021
https://eand.co/is-the-world-learning-the-lessons-of-a-collapsing-america-44748b88bcf7

/[  Deliberate misinformation at COP 26  ] /
*Climate change conspiracies are spreading rapidly during UN's COP26 event*
BY DAN PATTERSON - NOVEMBER 9, 2021
Conspiracy theories that promote climate-change skepticism and denial
spread rapidly across the internet ahead of the United Nation's ongoing
COP26 Climate Change summit in Glasgow, Scotland.

Amplified by bots and influencers, a large volume of climate-change
denial content spread on social media starting in June, according to
researchers at Blackbird.AI. The technology firm's platform uses
machine-learning algorithms to scan millions of posts across mainstream
social networks — including Twitter, Telegram, fringe sites and others —
and, aided by human analysts, identified four major climate-denial
trends targeting U.S. and European climate-change policy.
- -
One of the most creative conspiracies circulating on social media during
the UN's COP26 event is the false notion that climate change is caused
by a state-funded program called the High-frequency Active Auroral
Research Program (HAARP). This is a variation of the "chemtrails"
conspiracy theory, Khaled said.

Blackbird found that the long-debunked HAARP conspiracy theory is still
circulated among bots and inauthentic accounts, especially on Twitter.
More than 17% of the posts in their sample propagated the theory.
"Online conspiracies love to assign nefarious motives to banal,
real-word research programs," he said, "like the false idea that
geoengineering projects are a front for government-controlled weather
modification initiatives."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/climate-change-conspiracies-are-spreading-rapidly-during-uns-cop26-event/

/[ clips from a classic guide for parents (of all ages) ]/
*How to talk to kids about climate change*
October 24, 2019
Anya Kamanetz
How do you comfort a child when the science suggests she's correct?

These six tips form a guide to parenting through a slow-motion emergency.

*1. Break the silence*
For a growing number of families all over the world, there's no avoiding
it: Climate change is already at their front door.

Others, who are privileged enough to have evaded the direct impacts so
far, seem to be struggling to deal with the constant barrage of
anxiety-provoking news about the environment. And one of the biggest
barriers among that group is emotional...
- -
*2. Give your kids the basic facts...*
Here's a suggested script, based on conversations with several educators
and psychologists, that could be used for kids as young as four or five:

"Humans are burning lots and lots of fossil fuels for energy, in planes,
in cars, to light our houses, and that's putting greenhouse gases into
the air. Those gases wrap around the planet like a blanket and make
everything hotter.

A hotter planet means bigger storms, it melts ice at the poles so oceans
will rise, it makes it harder for animals to find places to live.

And it's a really, really big problem, and there are a lot of smart
people working hard on it, and there's also lots that we can do as a
family to help."

We've written before about learning resources on climate change. If you
want to do a deeper dive, watch a movie or read a book together.

You know your kids best, so try to make sure the level of information
you're giving them is appropriate and not too graphic or upsetting. But
at the same time, we can't always control what they may be hearing
elsewhere, so it's good to be proactive with the simple facts...
- -
*3. Get outdoors*
Dawn Danby lives in Oakland California and has spent 20 years working in
sustainable design, technology and business. She also has a 6-year-old
daughter, a "fierce little person," and she doesn't want her to be too
scared by what's happening to the planet.

"I've encountered lots and lots of people who've been really traumatized
as they've encountered" ecological crisis, she says.

So Danby takes a different approach. She and her daughter spend as much
time as possible exploring the outdoors, from old-growth forests to
vegetable gardens.

You don't have to live near mountains or the ocean to expose your kids
to nature. You can start with ants on the sidewalk. Dawn encourages her
daughter to "look at the bugs and think about what the bugs are doing
... everything has a role to play here."...
- -
*4. Focus on feelings*
- -
Susie Burke is a senior psychologist at the Australian Psychological
Society. She's an environmental psychologist, specializing in what's
become an emerging field: climate psychology.

She says there are three big-picture positive responses to a huge
stressor like climate change.

The first is known as "emotion-focused coping."

This could include "Spending time with people who we love and care for.
Doing positive activities. Spending time in nature. Having a break."

Becoming more emotionally literate as a family, and having a toolbox of
comforting activities to try when your kids are feeling anxious or low,
is one way to help everyone become more resilient to stressors — whether
it's something on the news, or a storm coming to your city.

Burke says that of course our instinct is to protect our kids from the
harshness of the world or from ever feeling bad. But once they are old
enough to be in school and to understand a bit of the news, that may not
be possible. It's our job instead to be open to "hearing how children
might be feeling and thinking about the climate crisis and be able to
help the children to manage those feelings."...
- -
*5. Take action*
The second big-picture way to cope with a stressor like climate change,
after emotion-focused coping, is problem-focused coping. These, says
Burke, are "the things that we do to try to mitigate the actual problem
that is causing the stress."...
- -
Beyond taking action as a family, increasing numbers of parents find
themselves supporting teenage activists. That same Washington Post poll
reported 1 in 4 teenagers had taken some sort of climate-related action.

16-year-old Jayden Foytlin has become one of 21 youth plaintiffs of a
case called Juliana vs. the United States. These are young people suing
the federal government, claiming it has violated their rights to a
livable planet.

So she's balancing schoolwork, her love of art and court appearances.
Jayden says it's about, "Showing people that youth voices do matter. And
this is something that has to be taken seriously, or we will lose lives."

Jayden's mother, Cherri Foytlin, has been a dedicated environmental
activist in Louisiana since the BP oil spill in 2010. She says Jayden
has fun and goofs around like any other kid....
- -
But it doesn't mean, says Burke, we should push any particular actions
onto our children.

Her daughter Milou Albrecht 14, says in turn of her parents: "Some of
the most important ways they support me would be listening to me and
providing helpful information and support, but also kind of stepping
back and let me do my thing."...
- -
*6. Find hope*
Emotion-focused coping is about feelings. Problem-focused coping is
about action. The third path to coping with a stressor like climate
change, Burke says, is meaning-focused coping. This is about thinking:
how to frame the problem so that we can continue to hope and not
collapse into cynicism, apathy or despair.

She cites Swedish psychologist Maria Ojala, who is looking at how
children and teenagers are finding resilience to the threat of climate
change. Ojala found one successful strategy was to develop trust that
others are working on this problem — to realize none of us are alone. A
second was to focus on the many benefits of a sustainable future, like
more social justice, stronger communities, better health.

"To be able to keep hope is important," says Burke. And for our kids,
reminding them to take breaks and enjoy just being a kid. It's important
that they are "still also feeling carefree and joyful and finding things
that are wonderful about the world, learning ways that the world is
worth living in, even though they're also addressing big life challenges."

DeMocker says parents have a tricky role to play as young activists step
up. "We have to partner with them and we have to not abandon them in
this crisis and we have to step back at the same time and let them lead."

She compares the balance to parents' job when children are younger and
first finding independence.

"So it's this funny dance, which is a lot of what parenting is — whether
you have a toddler who wants to put on her shoes herself and then
whoops! she trips. So now she actually just needs to be a little kid
again and be comforted."

When I think about the options available to me as a mother in 2019
trying to cope with a global crisis while also paying my mortgage and
packing lunches, I don't see "hope" as a landing place or a single
destination. I see myself facing the facts, taking action, and offering
comfort when I feel stronger, and taking breaks, reaching out for
support, and looking to others to carry on when I get tired. It's all a
cycle, or in DeMocker's words, a dance.
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/22/772266241/how-to-talk-to-your-kids-about-climate-change

/[The news archive - looking back -  "won't let that happen again"]/
*On this day in the history of global warming November 13, 2005*
November 13, 2005: Fox News Channel airs "The Heat is On: The Case of
Global Warming," a special that reportedly (and surprisingly,
considering Fox's track record) does not feature any climate-change
deniers. After fossil-fuel-industry front groups attack Fox for not
including their viewpoint, Fox runs a special several months later
featuring the views of climate-change deniers.

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2012/10/24/timeline-fox-news-role-in-the-climate-of-doubt/190906

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry