[✔️] November 14, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Nov 14 20:25:35 EST 2021

/*November 14, 2021*/

/[  Disinformation battles  ] /
*Why Facebook won’t let you control your own news feed*
Lawmakers want social networks to offer users a chronological timeline.
Leaked documents help to explain why Facebook doesn’t.
By Will Oremus - Nov 13, 2021
In at least two experiments over the years, Facebook has explored what
happens when it turns off its controversial news feed ranking system —
the software that decides for each user which posts they’ll see and in
what order, internal documents show. That leaves users to see all the
posts from all of their friends in simple, chronological order.

Both tests appear to have taught Facebook’s researchers the same lesson:
Users are better off with Facebook’s software calling the shots...
- -
In testimony to U.S. Congress and abroad, whistleblower Frances Haugen
has pointed to the algorithm as central to the social network’s
problems, arguing that it systematically amplifies and rewards hateful,
divisive, misleading and sometimes outright false content by putting it
at the top of users’ feeds. And previously reported internal documents,
which Haugen provided to regulators and media outlets, including The
Washington Post, have shown how Facebook crafts its ranking system to
keep users hooked, sometimes at the cost of angering or misinforming them.
- -
The documents suggest that Facebook’s defense of algorithmic rankings
stems not only from its business interests, but from a paternalistic
conviction, backed by data, that its sophisticated personalization
software knows what users want better than the users themselves. It’s a
view that likely extends beyond Facebook: Rivals such as Twitter, TikTok
and YouTube rely heavily on automated content recommendation systems, as
does Facebook’s corporate sibling Instagram...
- -
What many users may not realize is that Facebook actually does offer an
option to see a mostly chronological feed, called “most recent,” if you
select it from a settings menu. To reach it today on Facebook’s mobile
app, you have to tap the tiny “menu” icon at the bottom of your feed,
then find and select “most recent.” A shortcut that Facebook introduced
in March, called the “feed filter bar,” did not work at all on this
reporter’s account...
- -
A separate report from 2018, first described by Alex Kantrowitz’s
newsletter Big Technology, found that turning off the algorithm
unilaterally for a subset of Facebook users, and showing them posts
mostly in the order they were posted, led to “massive engagement drops.”
Notably, it also found that users saw more low-quality content in their
feeds, at least at first, although the company’s researchers were able
to mitigate that with more aggressive “integrity” measures.

That last finding has since become Facebook’s go-to justification for
its ranking algorithm...
- -
Facebook has not taken an official stand on the legislation that would
require social networks to offer a chronological feed option, but Clegg
said in an op-ed last month that the company is open to regulation
around algorithms, transparency, and user controls.

Twitter, for its part, signaled potential support for the bills.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/11/13/facebook-news-feed-algorithm-how-to-turn-it-off

- -

/[ More coverage: Facebook under fire ]/
The Facebook Papers are a set of internal documents that were provided
to Congress in redacted form by Frances Haugen’s legal counsel. The
redacted versions were reviewed by a consortium of news organizations,
including The Washington Post.
*A whistleblower’s power: Key takeaways from the Facebook Papers*
Interviews with dozens of current and former employees and a trove of
internal documents show how the social media company inflamed real-world
harms
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/10/25/what-are-the-facebook-papers/

/[  La Nina, Santa Anna winds - means fire danger for Southern
California ] /
*Blustery Santa Ana winds, heat raises San Diego’s wildfire risk*
SAN DIEGO (CNS) – A spell of blustery Santa Ana winds coupled with a
significant warming trend will heighten San Diego-area wildfire hazards
— potentially to near-critical levels — for the remainder of the work
week, meteorologists advised Wednesday...
https://fox5sandiego.com/weather/blustery-santa-ana-winds-heat-raises-san-diegos-wildfire-risk/

/[ Maybe Activism is not healthy ]/

*As climate worsens, environmentalists also grapple with the mental toll
of activism*
November 13, 2021
ALEX SMITH
University of Kansas undergraduate Marc Veloz speaks at an environmental
rally outside Lawrence city hall. He says his interest in activism was
driven by concern over the disproportionate effect climate change had on
communities of color in his hometown of Dallas.

When I was growing up in the '90s in Johnson County, Kansas, in the
suburbs of Kansas City, I had a friend named Kevin Aaron who was a
dedicated environmentalist.

To strangers, Kevin appeared to be a laid-back punk rock music fan with
a dry and slightly mischievous sense of humor, but those of us who knew
him best saw his passion for sustainability blossom during high school.

Kevin Aaron at the age of 19, relaxing with the family's dog, Sprite, at
his childhood home in Overland Park, Kansas. His t-shirt reads "Student
Insurgent," the name of a campus group he led at the University of Oregon.

In his barbeque-obsessed hometown, he became the rare vegetarian, driven
by the impact of large-scale meat production on the environment. He
eagerly researched and then adopted other individual practices — like
driving a hybrid car — that he thought might reduce carbon emissions, if
only by tiny measures.

What I loved about Kevin was that he believed in the better angels of
our nature. Instead of trying to shout down perceived enemies, he tried
to convince everyone to be part of the solution to climate change.

In the early 2000s, Kevin was living in the Bay Area and preparing for a
career in climate advocacy. He was enrolled in a Master's program in
City and Regional Planning at UC Berkley while concurrently studying for
a law degree at UC San Francisco.

But during his graduate studies, he became overwhelmed by a sense of
hopelessness about the climate. He died by suicide in 2003, at the age
of 27.

Kevin's loss remains a shock for me, and the others who cared about him
— especially his mother, Sami Aaron.

As wildfires, floods and other climate disasters unfolded this summer, I
found myself thinking about Kevin and his struggles, and wondering what
he might have thought about the state of the world today.

Although I hadn't seen his mother, Sami Aaron, in years, I heard through
friends that she had become increasingly involved in environmental
advocacy. So I called her up, and she invited me for a walk through a
native wildflower sanctuary in Olathe, Kansas, called Pollinator
Prairie. It's a former Superfund site that a coalition of naturalists
and environmentalists helped convert into a flower-filled sanctuary, a
home to bees and butterflies.

Sami Aaron often turns to nature for refuge, and she deliberately picked
this spot for us to talk about her son. She says that the more deeply
Kevin became involved in environmental activism, the more his thinking
about the future turned pessimistic — his mind and mood overtaken by
despairing thoughts, like an invasive species.

"There was one little seed that was planted where he couldn't then quit
thinking about it," she says.

It was a feeling of doubt that his efforts — that all the combined
environmental struggles — just wouldn't be enough. It added to the
depression he was already struggling with.

"So that seed sprouted a little bit more and a little bit more and a
little bit more. And at some point, there was this whole forest of
eucalyptus trees in his metaphoric mind — that it just wasn't going to
make a difference."

After Kevin died, Aaron found some solace in yoga and meditation, but
continued to see her grief as a private struggle. Until a few years ago,
when she met some environmentalists in the Flint Hills of Kansas who
also struggled with mental health issues.

Aaron wanted to teach these advocates the coping strategies she had
learned following her son's death, so she created the Kansas City-based
nonprofit called The Resilient Activist.

The organization's website explains that Kevin's death occurred "when
eco-anxiety (fear about the ecology of the planet) and solastalgia
(grief over loss of beloved places in nature) combined with his own
inner demons and he took his own life."

Sami Aaron created the nonprofit group The Resilient Activist to help
environmentalists manage climate anxiety and grief.

The Resilient Activist offers mental health support and classes,
community-building programs, consulting, and other psychological
resources for the environmental community.

"We need activists who have the resilience to see us through these
difficult times," Aaron says. "That's what I wanted to give. It's like,
what would have helped him and others like him."

Environmental worries can motivate, but can also overwhelm

Today's climate activists are driven by environmental worries that are
increasingly more urgent, and which feel more personal.

Recent polling shows that more than half of adults in the US are anxious
about how climate change is affecting their mental health. And nearly
40% of Americans in their teens to mid-twenties say addressing climate
change is their highest person concern.

In eastern Kansas, the college town of Lawrence is a liberal enclave
where environmental activism has a strong following, and on August 31st,
dozens of protestors gathered before the start of a city meeting,
chanting slogans and carrying signs: "Time Is Running Out!"

As the evening rush hour traffic roared past, these activists demanded
Lawrence leaders follow through on their sustainability pledges.

Many of the protestors are University of Kansas students, like
undergraduate Marc Veloz. He moved here from Texas , where he became
concerned about how flooding was disproportionately affecting
communities of color in Dallas. He says taking part in local activism
helps get him through what he calls "dark days."

"There are those days that I just have to lean on the little wins we've
had to keep me going," Veloz says. "Because I know that being in that
space of despair and anger and sadness, it isn't sustainable."

Another student, Kai Hamilton, grew up in the Kansas farming town of
Hesston. She recalls that even though her neighbors suffered droughts
year after year, the words "climate change" were never said out loud.

"I have vivid memories of being alone in my room in high school and just
being so overwhelmed and deeply sad about my lack of control over it and
also the lack of action in the world," Hamilton said.

Another protestor, Agustina Carvallo Vazquez, came to KU from Paraguay,
where she witnessed destructive and exploitative agricultural practices.
She planned to study economics and music, but started focusing on
environmental activism after she became frustrated by the inaction she
found in the United States.

"So we come here thinking, 'OK these are the people who are actually
doing something,'" she says. "'These are the people who are going to
make the change.'"

"And once I came here, I realized, 'OK, that's not the reality at all.
These people have the power. These people have the resources, and these
people have the knowledge, but they are not doing anything about it.' So
the anger multiples itself."

Some amount of anxiety is a natural response to climate change,
according to Susan Clayton, a professor of psychology at the College of
Wooster and a board member of the American Psychology Association.

Clayton says that getting involved in activism or environmental groups
can help relieve feelings of helplessness. But, paradoxically, advocacy
also brings the risk of exposing people to more stress — sometimes to
the point of having a clinically significant impact on mental health.

Some of the symptoms of problematic levels of anxiety include trouble
sleeping or concentrating, or physical signs of stress such as tense
muscles or rapid breathing.

Clayton says the psychological toll can also affect behavior. For many
activists, environmental anxiety crosses the line into being maladaptive
when it causes them to turn away from their work, or give up on ever
fixing the problem.

"We have to find that common ground, where we can accept that there are
some really serious things going on but it doesn't lead us to despair,"
Clayton says. "For some people, they can just essentially think it's too
late. There's nothing to be done, so why bother?"

Moving away from the 'martyr culture' of activism

For decades, though, many environmentalists resisted prioritizing their
own mental health.

In 2018, Greenpeace International signaled a shift when it launched a
major study on why so many of their activists were working themselves
past their healthy limits. Agus Maggio, a campaign manager for
Greenpeace, explains that many local volunteers and leaders had bought
into a kind of "martyr culture."

"Burning yourself out is almost like a badge of honor," Maggio says. "So
really overworking yourself and giving up your life for the cause is
considered to be something admirable."

Greenpeace and other leading environment groups, including the Sierra
Club, have begun urging volunteers and staff to take breaks, unplug or
even limit the scope of their activism for the sake of mental health.

That marks a major shift for these organizations, and for the movement
as a whole. After all, the message for so many years was that people
need to be alarmed. Fear and concern about the future of habitats, and
the planet as a whole, can motivate people to fight for change.

But those powerful feelings can also be overwhelming, or lead to
numbness or apathy. Ward Lyles, an associate professor of urban planning
at the University of Kansas and an environmental activist since the
'90s, says he has changed the way he talks with students about the climate.

"When I first started, I thought it was my job to scare people into
action," Lyles says.

Now Lyles recognizes that students enter his classes already terrified
about what's happening to the planet, and desperate to do something
about it.

His students' bleak outlooks had been shaped in part by their previous
environmental education, which often consisted of deep dives into
overwhelming climate problems.

"Almost all of them had been in classes that talked at great length
about the damage that people were doing to the planet and to each
other," Lyles says "Very few of them said, 'Well, here's a path where
you can be part of making a difference.'"

In his classes, Lyles now welcomes discussions about environmental
anxiety and grief, so that emerging activists understand that they are
not alone in having those feelings.

"In classes where you acknowledge this is hard — this is hard work to
do, but we're here to support each other — then it's really amazing to
watch students come together and talk about finding solutions," Lyles says.

Because of the pandemic, The Resilient Activist has been offering some
sessions on Zoom. During a recent one, Sami Aaron led advocates through
guided meditation and deep breathing techniques. She's teaching
participants to identify and relieve stress in the short term, but she
says that's only part of her goal.

Ultimately, these techniques can have longer, more sustainable benefits,
Aaron says, such as helping activists free themselves from narrow,
negative thinking patterns that can feed feelings of anxiety and depression.

"That's why there's practices that help you stop those thoughts, that
help you find the way to be more at ease, more pragmatic, more
accepting, and to kind of shift you out of that fight-or-flight mode,"
Aaron says. "So that now you're in a place where you have all different
ways of thinking. You have all other options for what can happen and
what you can do."

Reaching a sustainable future, Sami explains, will require people to
remain optimistic and open to new possibilities, in order to remain
engaged and move forward as environmentalists.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/11/13/1053567654/as-climate-worsens-environmentalists-also-grapple-with-the-mental-toll-of-activi

[ Here ya go- based in Missouri ]
*The Resilient Activist*
https://www.theresilientactivist.org/
https://www.theresilientactivist.org/envirotip-8-spend-time-noticing-nature/
*EnviroTip #10: Grief and Hope in Times of Environmental Angst*
The Resilient Activist - October 11, 2018
*   Is there light at the end of this tunnel?*

    There is the sense that trying to do anything of value, anything
    that will make a dent in restoring the health of the planet, is just
    futile.

    News agencies and social media are flooded with information about
    how dire the carbon dioxide level is.

    There are frightening predictions about how many years humans can
    reasonably plan on continuing to live our current consumer
    lifestyles before the earth can no longer support us.

    *Overwhelm and deep grief*
    For many, when we see images of suffering of endangered species or
    witness the destruction of beloved places in nature, we can feel
    awash in helplessness and impotence.

    Can’t we just wish it all away?

    Embrace our inner ostrich?

    Stick our heads in the sand?

    Pretend that everything will, magically, be all right in the end?

    The problem with climate change and environmental destruction and
    their impending threat of the impact on our lives is that these are
    not problems that will just go away.  It’s not like recovery from
    the pain of a kidney stone, for example, in just a couple of days.

    These environmental threats didn’t just start in our lifetime, they
    are ongoing, and may not be resolved in our lifetime.

    So how does one learn to live in a joyous, peaceful way when there
    is this overarching sense of impending doom and gloom?

    *EnviroTips to the rescue*
    - -
    You can begin to feel more in control if there are some concrete and
    easy-to-accomplish things you can do that will make a big impact on
    your overall emotional state.

    What are some simple steps you can take, when confronted with
    environmental grief, that will make a big impact on your emotional
    health and restore a sense of well-being?

    We invite your comments below to share more thoughts and help shift
    the conversation to one of resiliency and hope.

    *Face it head on (the anti-ostrich approach)*
    Remember a specific environmental grief that you still carry in your
    heart.

    And then intentionally step away from your everyday life and set
    aside private time to acknowledge the event and your reaction to it
    in a thoughtful way – starting with self-compassion.

    As recommended by Dr. Kristin Neff, founder of Self-Compassion,
    “With self-compassion, we give ourselves the same kindness and care
    we’d give to a good friend.”

    Take a few days to stay out in nature – it’s always a perfect place
    to find some peace!

    Practice yoga, study meditation, exercise doing something you love.

    I can tell you for sure, you, and your emotional health, are worth it.

    Your grief and the resulting emotions and thoughts may just be the
    catalyst for something uplifting and positive that will benefit the
    world. (Yes, I’m talking to you!)

    Here are five simple steps that may help when you experience a sense
    of futility or deep loss in nature.

        1.  Own your grief and mourn it as you would any other deep
        emotional pain
        2.  Set aside some time to journal about it to identify exactly
        what you’re grieving about.
        3.  Find the silver lining (it’s floating around somewhere
        nearby, trust me)
        4.  Decide how you want to think about it because you become
        what you think.
        5.  Consider finding your inner activist and take a stand or
        find your way to support those who do.

    *1. Own the Grief*
    Mourn it as you would any other deep emotional pain: write, sing,
    blog, paint, post, create community mourning process.

    When a favorite Cottonwood tree was removed in my neighborhood, a
    neighbor made me a native bee house out of one of the branches so
    I’d have a tangible connection to the memory of this glorious tree.
    Consider what you could create or save as you would the loss of
    anything else in life that you loved. and express the grief however
    you wish.

    Mourning the loss of nature is discussed in great detail in two
    books.  Although they are very technical in their approaches, the
    recognition of our deep emotional connection to nature can be very
    reassuring.

    /- - Mourning Nature: Hope at the Heart of Ecological Loss & Grief.
    2017 Edited by Ashlee Cunsolo & Karen Landman McGill-Queen’s
    University Press//
    //- - Living in an Environmentally Traumatized World: Healing
    Ourselves and Our Planet., 2013 Edited by Darlyne G. Nemeth, Robert
    B. Hamilton, and Judy Juriansky//
    /
    *You are not alone in this

    *The emotional toll that climate change is having on our society has
    caught the attention of those who work in the mental health fields.

    In 2010, the American Psychological Association released a 230-page
    report titled, “Interface Between Psychology and Global Climate
    Change.” In March, 2017, they published another document, “Mental
    Health and Our Changing Climate: Impacts, Implications, and Guidance.”

    This paper included new diagnostic codes for mental health concerns
    related to climate change and environmental grief.

    Terms like ecoanxiety, pre-traumatic stress, and solastalgia (pining
    for a lost environment) are devastating emotional conditions that
    affect those who are passionate about a healthy, sustainable planet
    and who are deeply concerned about the negative impacts of human
    activities on our ecosystems and non-human beings we love.

    Symptoms of PTSD can arise just by hearing or watching a traumatic
    event, even if you did not specifically experience it yourself.
    Images and videos in Facebook posts and Instagram feeds can be
    powerful emotional triggers.
    *
    **Take symptoms of depression and unshakable despondency seriously
    and get help.

    *The Resilient Activist organization was developed to nurture and
    support those who are working towards our vision of future
    generations living in a healthy, diverse, and sustainable environment.

    And we understand how difficult that can be for the gentle and
    sensitive souls who really care. Read more on this understanding on
    our Team page.

    Now that these new diagnosis definitions are coming into mainstream
    mental health treatment, many, many therapists and physicians are
    incorporating the powerful benefits of holistic services and
    philosophies into their healing practices.

    Look for a mental health professional who melds yoga, meditation,
    and mindfulness practices into talk therapy and group therapy.

    Find someone to support you who can counsel you on the importance of
    healthy eating and exercise and how they can be a great enhancement
    when incorporated into standard medication protocols for depression
    and anxiety.

    Tap into your spiritual or religious community.  Organizations such
    as the Sustainable Sanctuary in the Kansas City area are more and
    more prevalent around the world.  These are spiritual and religious
    organizations who are taking their commitment to love the earth into
    the heart of how they manage their congregations. You may just find
    some of the uplift you need within their communities.  Look for one
    in your area – or consider starting one.

    *And don’t forget about the healing benefits of time spent in nature.

    *So many of us are drawn to go out to nature in times of grief and
    suffering.  DO IT!!  Read more in our post “Benefits of Time Spent
    in Nature” and take its lessons to heart.

    There can be profound spiritual and emotional uplift by spending
    just a short time in the natural world.

    *2. Set intentional time to deepen your understanding

    *Set aside some time to journal about it to identify exactly what
    you’re grieving about.

    What is the background and history of this problem? (Remind yourself
    again that these environmental threats didn’t just start in our
    lifetime, they are ongoing, and may not be resolved in our lifetime.”)

    Was it something you could have done differently or was it someone
    else’s decision?

    If you had a do-over, could things have been handled differently?

    If this situation was to occur again, is there anything else that
    you could implement now or make plans for now to encourage a more
    positive outcome next time?

    *3. Find the silver lining

    *This is a hard one.  There really is a silver lining to every grief
    and tragedy, even if it takes years to bubble up to the surface.

    Environmental destruction has inspired hundreds of thousands of
    nonprofits & socially conscious businesses to start up because of a
    deep grief.

    According to world-renowned sociologist, Paul Hawken, in his
    inspiring book, “Blessed Unrest: How the Largest Movement in the
    World Came into Being and Why No One Saw It Coming” (2007, Viking
    Press) this global movement for people to take a stand, shift focus,
    and honor their grief will have a larger impact on humanity’s
    history than did the Industrial Revolution.

    “If you look at the science that describes what is happening on
    earth today and aren’t pessimistic, you don’t have the correct data.
    If you meet the people in this unnamed movement and aren’t
    optimistic, you don’t have a heart.”  ― Paul Hawken

    *4. Decide how you want to think about it

    *In the same way that over time we find ways to decide to think
    about other tragedies and losses in our lives, we can intentionally
    decide what our approach will be in our memories and conversations
    about this experience.

    “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the
    human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of
    circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”  ― Viktor E. Frankl, Man’s
    Search for Meaning

    If your grief is related to loss, see how it feels to remember the
    place, in great detail. Find your gratitude/appreciation for what it
    was or what it offered and explore whether you can bring those same
    qualities back into your life in some other way. You may wish to
    seek out professional support to find a positive way to go forward
    with your loss.

    Express your gratitude for whatever you can bring to mind that is
    positive and uplifting in relation to this event in your life.

    There is great healing power in expressing profound gratitude. As
    this article in Psychology Today by Lisa Firestone, Ph.D., there is
    nothing like The Healing Power of Gratitude to bring you greater
    happiness, improve your sleep, benefit your relationships, and lots
    more.

    *5. Tap into your inner activist.

    *Is someone already addressing this issue?

    Do you want to join them? Or just make contact?

    Feel inspired to make a recurring donation?

    Do you want to tackle this problem yourself with your own supportive
    community? What are your own resources, skills, finances, etc.?

    Remind yourself, more often than not, that there is an amazing
    amount of good happening around the globe, and that others, millions
    of others, do care.

    *Discomfort and humanity’s evolutionary leap *

    Like any other kind of pain, the sensations that arise, whether
    physical or emotional, are of value.

    They are your indicators of a dis-comfort, dis-ease.

    Jumping into activism as you move through your grief can bring
    profound uplift and a renewed sense of purpose and meaning.

    According to Claire Dubois, founder of TreeSisters, we humans are
    evolving from a consumer species to a restorer species.

    It’s an evolutionary leap we’re struggling to make, and like every
    other evolutionary change, it’s not going to come easily or quickly.

    Here’s a little gift to you to help with the stress and incessant
    thoughts that can be part of this deep shift. It’s a 17-minute
    guided relaxation and meditation from our founder, Sami Aaron.

    *Coming Into Balance, A Simple Guided Meditation*
    https://soundcloud.com/user-446078268/coming-into-balance-a-simple-meditation

    *Hankering for a shift*
    There’s the desire for change. Whether it comes from a powerful
    grief or it’s just a gnawing unrest, many of us have a craving for a
    shift that may be too compelling to be ignored. Follow the five
    steps listed above and …
    Explore it.

    Understand it and what your role might be in its evolution.

    Know that you are stronger than you know.

    Remind yourself that you are not alone.

    Find your community
    Google it.

    Whatever the topic, find out if others are already working to right
    this wrong or protect that area. Chances are that you’ll find a
    community of folks who feel your same angst and who love and
    appreciate and want to protect or restore or preserve the same
    things that you do.

    As founder of The Resilient Activist, I was inspired every moment by
    the people who supported me in starting this organization. People
    who felt as I did but didn’t know what to do with their angst other
    than rail against it. The more we shared our stories, the better we
    all felt.

    One of our most important senses is the recognition that sometimes
    we need to be part of a supportive community for our very survival.
    It’s an innate part of our makeup.

    Embrace it!

https://www.theresilientactivist.org/envirotip-10-grief-and-hope-in-times-of-environmental-angst/

/[ get a new roof on your house... a Tesla Roof  13 min video ] /
*Top 10 Concerns About My Tesla Solar Roof*
Nov 11, 2021
This Guy's Tesla
You have questions. The first 1000 people to use the link will get a
one-month free trial of Skillshare Premium Membership:
https://thisguyedits.com/skillshare10
Save $500 on your Tesla Solar roof: https://thisguyedits.com/tesla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Ru-iRvLMQ

/[ ] /

[The news archive - looking back]

*On this day in the history of global warming November 14 ,*

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry