[✔️] November 15, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Nov 15 14:34:20 EST 2021

/*November 15, 2021*/

/[  summary in one 16 min video  ] /
*Wrapping up COP26 with Professor Kevin Anderson*
Nov 14, 2021
Nick Breeze ClimateGENN
"...the very weak pointers that are in there are completely out of sync
with the scale of the challenge that we are committed to!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZlZRJ8KIs

- -

/[ History of Britain -- King Kanute left us a great lesson ]/
*King Canute and the tide*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_tide

/[  40 min video interview with Greta Thunberg  "winning slowly is the
same as losing" ] /
*We need to talk about Honesty | with Greta Thunberg*
Nov 14, 2021
thejuicemedia
Juice Podcast 26: In which I chat with Greta Thunberg about the
importance of honesty in the fight for real climate action; her
experience of COP26; and other important issues - like how much she
loves the Honest Government Ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MibVpT2XUb4

[  add 100 new inundation tides per year to your tide schedule  --
transcript and video ]
*Barely a cloud in the sky and Portland, Maine is flooding*
Nov 14, 2021
Read the Full Transcript
*Hari Sreenivasan:*
As sea ice melts and global oceans warm, sea levels are rising,
presenting grave threats to small, low-lying island nations and to
coastal areas here in the U.S. One example is in the Gulf of Maine: the
ocean waters that stretch from Massachusetts to Nova Scotia.

It is one of the fastest-warming bodies of saltwater on earth.

Here in Portland, the gulf of Maine sea levels are expected to rise
between 10 and 17 inches by the year 2030 compared to levels in 2000.
NewsHour Weekend's Christopher Booker explored what that means for this
coastal city of Portland, and new efforts to study and adapt to the
changing climate. This story is part of our ongoing series, 'Peril and
Promise: the Challenge of Climate Change.'

*Christopher Booker:*
It's difficult to balance the contradiction that is this Friday
afternoon in Portland, Maine.November, 48 degrees, light wind and barely
a cloud in the sky, but despite a fall day that is as good as they come,
the old Port is flooding. In the past, Portland might see a King Tide
breach its streets only a handful of times. Part of the natural tidal
cycle, these extra high tides coming during full or new moons fall and
spring, when the moon is closest to the Earth and its elliptical orbit,
but as the world warms and sea levels continue to rise, water will be
coming to Portland's streets with far greater regularity. Models
indicate that within the near future, high tides will breach city
streets as many as 100 times a year.

*Gayle Bowness:*
and this is an 11 and a half foot tide. We're going to see much, much
more than that in the very near future, and it's going to be happening
much more frequently.

*Christopher Booker:*
Gayle Bowness is the Manager of the Municipal Climate Action Program
with Portland's Gulf of Maine Research Institute. On this day, she
helped lead a procession of local residents from the institute for a
quick glimpse of the city's future. The journey was simple enough, walk
a few blocks, turn onto one of Portland's many piers and there, on the
street is the day's King Tide.

*Gayle Bowness:*
So in Portland, we've seen our tidal levels raise eight inches over the
past one hundred years, so it's a pretty gradual raise that rate of
rises to steeply increase due to climate change. We'll see What we saw
today happen more frequently in 20 30, so it might happen every month as
opposed to just the fall in the spring season. Everything's coming up,
not just our high water seasons.

*Gayle Bowness:*
"We are going to see events like this happening 100 times a year instead
of ten.

*David Reidmiller:*
Getting people to think about climate change in their own communities
can be really difficult because climate change can feel like, you know,
a distant or far removed issue, whether in space or in time.

*Christopher Booker:*
David Reidmiller is the director of the Climate Center with the
institute. Encouraging those in attendance to take photos and post to
social media as well as an online database tracking seal level rise,
Reidimiller says the hope is after witnessing the flooding first hand,
residents well begin to drive the conversation.

*David Reidmiller:*
When people can see how this is actually manifesting in their day to day
life. They can then go to City Council hearings. They can then start
writing letters to their senators. They can start calling their
representatives, it's really important that people get engaged in it and
understand how it affects them, because at once you have an
understanding of how it's going to affect you, you're going to be
compelled to act and that's exactly what we're trying.

*Christopher Booker:*
It is striking when you think about the distant projections of Arctic
ice melts, sea level rise in places like the Maldives versus walking
down your street and seeing a noontime king tide flood.

*David Reidmiller:*
Yeah. You know what? What happens in one place in the world really
echoes across the globe. And you know, I think we need to to to listen
to one another, to learn from one another. You know, the experience that
the Maldivians are going to have, that the Fijians, the Samoans, all of
these places are really dealing with similar issues that we have. You
know, we're fortunate in one sense, though, that we live in America. We
have the resources to deal with a lot of these issues. You know, a lot
of these developing countries don't have that ability.

*Christopher Booker:*
Before joining the Institute, Reidmiller worked as a top science advisor
for the Obama administration, playing an integral role in negotiating
the 2016 Paris Climate Accords. Next, he served in the Trump
Administration leading the fourth national climate assessment, a
Congressionally-mandated report that's an authoritative assessment of
climate science and the impacts on the U-S. Then he came to the Gulf of
Maine Research Institute to lead the Climate Center and help study how
rising and warmer waters will change the Gulf's ecosystem, economy, and
consequently, its culture.

*Christopher Booker:*
What is the Gulf of Maine telling us about climate change?

*David Reidmiller:*
There's a lot of things happening right in our backyard. As we talk
about, we've got a living laboratory right here and so one of the
biggest things that's happening is that the Gulf of Maine is warming
faster than probably about 95% of the world's oceans. Arguably the
biggest and most climate-driven piece of this is that the Gulf Stream is
changing. The Gulf Stream, you can think about it as a garden hose,
right? That's really right now kind of it at full blast and bringing a
whole bunch of heat from the tropics up to the North Atlantic, but as
climate change unfolds, that Gulf Stream, you're kind of twisting the
dial on that hose from a jet into a shower and so what happens then is
you have some spill over of that heat and that warm water into the Gulf
of Maine.

*Christopher Booker:*
What does this portend for the immediate future?

*David Reidmiller:*
You know, we're seeing a lot of species shifts underway. You know, this
whole waterfront, this whole coastal community, so much of it is driven
by what we can commercially harvest and grow with sustainable
aquaculture in these waters. And we need to be prepared for and
understand what changes are underway in the ecosystem out there.

*Christopher Booker:*
And these changes are happening, not in 30 or 50 years, but right now
and Reidmillier says its crucially important that all of Portland
understands this.

*David Reidmiller:*
And so we need to engage directly not only with the municipal leaders,
but the residents, the fishermen, the local business leaders and present
them with, frankly, information that they might not want to hear. We
don't do science for science's sake, right? We do user-driven science.
We know what the cause is. We know what the solutions are. And now it's
just a matter of mustering the political will to actually make it happen.
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/barely-a-cloud-in-the-sky-and-portland-maine-is-flooding

/[  a Saint for global warming?   Nov. 29, 1979, Pope John Paul II
issued a papal bull that declared St. Francis of Assisi the patron of
ecology and of those who promote ecology...John Paul II mentioned too
the "Canticle of the Creatures," Francis' famous prayer poem that is one
of the cornerstones of Franciscan spirituality. ] /
*Official launch of Laudato Si' Action Platform offers Catholics
concrete steps toward sustainable lifestyles*
Nov 14, 2021
by Brian Roewe
The long-anticipated Laudato Si' Action Platform officially launched
Nov. 14, paving the way for any Catholic institution, large or small,
across the globe to enroll in a multi-year, Vatican-backed process
toward sustainability in the spirit of Pope Francis' landmark encyclical
on care for creation.

Already, more than 4,000 church organizations and bodies — including the
Jesuits and the Salesian Sisters, the Pontifical Gregorian University
and 80 Catholic colleges worldwide, the California bishops' conference
and upwards of 1,000 families — have committed to the ambitious
initiative to put integral ecology into practice in their lives and work.

The Vatican hopes that number will only grow in coming months as the
start of a full-fledged response from the Catholic Church to turn the
pope's prophetic words in his 2015 encyclical, "Laudato Si', on Care for
Our Common Home," into actions that can help stave off catastrophic
global warming.
- -
Action steps include using renewable energy, reducing consumption of
meat and single-use items; fostering ecological education and
spirituality; advocating for sustainable development; and following
ethical investment guidelines, including divestment from fossil fuels.

After the angelus prayer Sunday, Francis told the crowd in St. Peter's
Square that registration had opened for the Laudato Si' Action Platform,
saying  "I invite all people of good will to exercise active citizenship
for the care of the common home."

In a May video encouraging Catholics to join the action platform, the
pope said there was a need for "a new ecological approach, which
transforms our way of living in the world, our lifestyles, our
relationship with the Earth's resources, and in general, the way we look
at people and live our life."...
- -
The Laudato Si' Action Platform's launch coming on the heels of COP26
sends a symbolic message that the global church is ready to do its part
to take action on climate change, said Salesian Fr. Joshtrom
Kureethadam, coordinator of the dicastery's ecology and creation sector. ..
- -
According to data from the dicastery, more than 4,200 entities had
preregistered before the enrollment period officially opened. More than
a third of those signed up in the past month, during a dicastery-led
40-day period of prayer accompanied by a media campaign. That period
came after the launch date, initially set for Oct. 4, the feast of St.
Francis of Assisi, was pushed back to mid-November.
The vast majority of registrants, more than 75%, were located in North
America, Europe and South America. The leading sectors were families
(31%), religious communities (23%) and lay organizations (13%).

Among the religious orders that have committed are the Society of Jesus
and the Salesian Sisters of St. John Bosco, the largest men's and
women's religious orders in the church.

Within the U.S., more than 160 congregations, provinces and monasteries
have identified an "LSAP Promoter" to facilitate their community's journey.
Sr. Ann Scholz, associate director for social mission with the
Leadership Conference of Women Religious and a member of the Vatican's
religious orders platform working group, said the congregations that
have committed so far range from groups with fewer than 50 members to
others surpassing 500.
- -
"In a very real sense, religious have been on this journey toward the
realization of God's dream for our common home for a very long time. It
is a gift to be able to join others in this amazing 'integrated approach
to combating poverty, restoring dignity to the excluded, and at the same
time protecting nature,'" she said in an email, quoting from the encyclical.

"I think what we seek is really nothing less than a conversion of heart
and the transformation of society," Scholz added.

The presidents of 80 Catholic universities worldwide have signed letters
of intent to Cardinal Peter Turkson, head of the integral human
development dicastery.

In addition to Rome's Pontifical Gregorian University, another seven
Catholic colleges in Europe, 13 in the Philippines, 13 in Latin America
and seven in Africa intend to participate. U.S. participants include 30
universities, including the Catholic University of America and
Georgetown University, in the nation's capital; DePaul University in
Chicago, the largest U.S. Catholic school; Loras College in Dubuque,
Iowa; St. Mary's University in San Antonio, Texas; and Gonzaga
University in Spokane, Washington...
- -
Worldwide, 159 dioceses — 17 of them, including the Chicago Archdiocese,
in the U.S. — registered before the enrollment period opened.
- -
"There is an environmental crisis that we are in, especially here in
California," as climate change has fueled historic droughts, said
retired Auxilary Bishop Gerald Wilkerson of the Los Angeles Archdiocese,
who chairs the state conference's environmental stewardship committee.
"And I think that helped the bishops to say that well, it's not just
here that we need to be concerned about. We need to move this into the
folks in the pews and we all need to be repsonsible for what we call our
common home."

The inclusion of the California Catholic bishops is notable after a
study indicated that the vast majority of the U.S. episcopacy have not
responded to or promoted Laudato Si' in the six years since its release....
José Aguto, executive director of Catholic Climate Covenant, which is
facilitating the U.S. rollout of the Laudato Si' Action Platform, said
interest so far has been "inspiring" and called the initiative "a
tangible platform [for people] to feel like they are contributing to the
solution."...
- -
"We the church need to be providing genuine hope to young people, both
within the church and beyond the church, that we are going to care for
our common home and strive for a meaningful, viable, ecologically
healthy, sustainable future for present and future generations," he told
EarthBeat.

More than anything, Aguto said, "we're delighted that this is finally
happening."
https://www.ncronline.org/news/earthbeat/official-launch-laudato-si-action-platform-offers-catholics-concrete-steps-toward

///[ Misinformation battleground ]/
*Report: Climate misinformation on Facebook viewed 1.4 million times daily*
That's nearly 14 times the traffic of the site's climate science
information hub.

Facebook may be changing its corporate name, but it’s still peddling
climate misinformation. According to a new report from the advocacy
organization Stop Funding Heat and the ad hoc group of activists called
the Real Facebook Oversight Board, the platform’s existing mechanisms
don’t go nearly far enough to rein in false or misleading content about
climate change.

The groups analyzed 48,700 posts published between January and August
2021, covering 196 Facebook groups and pages that are known to publish
false climate claims. They identified 38,925 instances of climate
misinformation — only 3.6 percent of which had been evaluated by
Facebook’s third-party fact-checkers. Eighty-five percent of the content
bore no link to the platform’s Climate Science Center, a tool the
company launched ostensibly to provide Facebook users with “factual
resources from the world’s leading climate organizations.”...
- -
“This content causes harm,” Buchan said, adding that without much
stronger efforts and transparency from Facebook’s parent company,
government regulators may need to step in. In the lead-up to the major
climate conference known as COP26, he said, other big tech companies
have put out new efforts to combat climate misinformation. Last month,
Google announced a pledge to demonetize climate denial content from its
video platform, YouTube. And this week, Twitter announced a new policy
of “pre-bunking” climate disinformation in an attempt to get ahead of
false content before users see it.

Meta, however, seems determined to double down on familiar Facebook tactics.
https://grist.org/accountability/report-climate-misinformation-facebook-viewed-million-times-daily/

- -

/[  Facebook is not longer   a trusted information source ]/
OPINION
*Social Media Is Polluted With Climate Denialism*
GREG BENSINGER
Nov. 12, 2021...
- -
Social media companies simply aren’t rising to the challenge of rising
sea levels. Climate change is an urgent threat, but the companies are
treating misinformation around it with far less urgency than other
issues like political conspiracy theories, hate speech and lies about
Covid vaccines. Climate content can be considered opinion and is
therefore exempt from standard fact-checking procedures, which climate
change deniers have seized on to push misleading information onto the
sites...
- -
Employees at Facebook have wrestled internally with how to approach
climate change misinformation since at least 2019, according to
documents released by the former Facebook employee Frances Haugen.
According to one exchange, an employee seemed flummoxed by the company’s
refusal to remove posts featuring climate change denial, because global
warming is not a matter of opinion. Another employee said Facebook
removes posts when “content may lead to imminent harm against people
offline.”...
- -
YouTube says it uses software to make debunked climate content less
likely to show up in people’s recommendation feeds, but the climate
activism nonprofit Avaaz found last year that the algorithm still
prompted millions of views of questionable videos. The group also found
that YouTube was selling ads to run alongside them.

As a result, Google, YouTube’s parent company, recently took a baby
step, announcing it will no longer allow websites and YouTube creators
to make money off advertising that denies humans’ contributions to
climate change or denies global warming. Similarly, Facebook said
climate change and global warming were on a list of topics that could no
longer be used by marketers to target advertising, starting next year.
But spreading false information on the sites remains as easy as making a
few keystrokes.

With the public shifting toward acceptance of climate change, corporate
strategies are also evolving, including companies’ use of paid
influencers on Instagram and TikTok who embark on idyllic road trips to
Joshua Tree National Park using Shell gasoline or who snack on chips
from Phillips 66 stations. In an effort to combat legislation to ban
natural gas hookups, the fossil fuel industry also is paying Instagram
stars to post videos of anodyne tasks like cooking tacos over gas
stoves. The aim is to conjure good feelings about the brands, known to
be significant contributors to carbon emissions, and perhaps even to
convince consumers that they are stylish.

Elsewhere on the web, pages have sprung up with names like Climate
Change Is Crap and Climate Change Is Natural to spew denialism on social
media — no targeted ads needed. One headline from Climate Realism:
“Evidence Indicates Climate Change Doesn’t Threaten Human Health.”

Social media could be a forum for healthy debate about climate action,
but the companies’ flimsy policies around policing climate change
misinformation stand in the way. Automated software systems are simply
not enough to combat misinformation about an unalterably changing Earth.

Facebook, YouTube and other companies have shown they have the power to
amplify facts and suppress lies — will they use that to help protect
Earth from its most dire threat?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/opinion/climate-change-facebook-glasgow.html

[The news archive - looking back]
*On this day in the history of global warming November  15, 1999*
November 15, 1999: Speaking at the London Institute of Petroleum, former
Defense Secretary Dick Cheney declares:

    "From the standpoint of the oil industry obviously and I’ll talk a
    little later on about gas, but obviously for over a hundred years we
    as an industry have had to deal with the pesky problem that once you
    find oil and pump it out of the ground you’ve got to turn around and
    find more or go out of business. Producing oil is obviously a
    self-depleting activity. Every year you’ve got to find and develop
    reserves equal to your output just to stand still, just to stay
    even. This is true for companies as well in the broader economic
    sense as it is for the world. A new merged company like Exxon-Mobil
    will have to secure over a billion and a half barrels of new oil
    equivalent reserves every year just to replace existing production.
    It’s like making one hundred per cent interest discovery in another
    major field of some five hundred million barrels equivalent every
    four months or finding two Hibernias a year.

    "For the world as a whole, oil companies are expected to keep
    finding and developing enough oil to offset our seventy one million
    plus barrel a day of oil depletion, but also to meet new demand. By
    some estimates there will be an average of two per cent annual
    growth in global oil demand over the years ahead along with
    conservatively a three per cent natural decline in production from
    existing reserves. That means by 2010 we will need on the order of
    an additional fifty million barrels a day. So where is the oil going
    to come from?

    "Governments and the national oil companies are obviously
    controlling about ninety per cent of the assets. Oil remains
    fundamentally a government business. While many regions of the world
    offer great oil opportunities, the Middle East with two thirds of
    the world’s oil and the lowest cost, is still where the prize
    ultimately lies, even though companies are anxious for greater
    access there, progress continues to be slow."

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2004-06-08/full-text-dick-cheneys-speech-institute-petroleum-autumn-lunch-1999

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry