[✔️] September 30, 2021 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Sep 30 08:43:00 EDT 2021

/*September 30, 2021*/

/[after an outed man was deceived and trapped]/
*Bye, Bye, Mr. Exxon Guy*
The Exxon lobbyist who got caught on tape talking about how the company
manipulates politicians is no longer employed.
Molly Taft - Sept29, 2021
Remember the Exxon lobbyist who got caught on tape admitting that the
company had poured money into “shadow groups” in order to fight against
climate science? He’s officially out of a job. E&E News confirmed with
Exxon on Tuesday that Keith McCoy, the lobbyist in question, was no
longer at the company.

“Mr. McCoy no longer works for the company,” Exxon spokesperson Casey
Norton said in an email to E&E News. “This is a private personnel
matter, and we will decline to comment further.”

For those who need a refresher, investigators at Unearthed posed as
recruitment consultants looking to hire a DC lobbyist for a major client
and set up interviews with two then-Exxon employees (the other
interviewee left the company before the exposé aired). The secret tapes
were released in July, and McCoy’s interview was far and away the more
explosive of the two.

In addition to talking about the company’s history of perpetuating
climate denial, McCoy also openly admitted that Exxon sees a carbon tax,
which it has vocally supported, as nothing more than an “advocacy tool”
He talked up all the politicians he’s regularly in touch with. His
metaphor for capturing them—“you have bait, you fill that bait out and
they say, ‘oh you want to talk about infrastructure,’ and then you start
to reel them in”—is a pretty stunning admission of how things work. In a
separate video released a day after the first, McCoy laid out in detail
how Exxon is working behind-the-scenes to fight plastics regulation.
McCoy later apologized on LinkedIn, the number one social network for
Oil Guys Who Love To Post. But apparently it wasn’t enough to save his job.

Exxon wouldn’t tell E&E News when exactly McCoy left, and his LinkedIn
still lists him as employed at Exxon. McCoy still seems to have a role
at the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, but, per web archives
recovered by E&E News, sometime between August 14 and September 8, the
website changed his affiliation from “ExxonMobil Corporation” to
“Community Advocate.”
While it wouldn’t be my personal choice to work for a company that has
done more than most to advance our planet’s quickly approaching heat
death, I have to admit that I feel a little bad for McCoy. His comments
lifted the veil on Exxon, but they confirmed what’s been clear Exxon and
other Big Oil boys have been trying to do for a while. Namely, do
everything they can to delay meaningful climate regulations, hyping the
small parts of their business that are relatively clean, and investing
in PR spin while making a killing digging up oil. McCoy just said the
quiet part out loud in a fake job interview.

Exxon made quick work of distancing itself from McCoy following the
debacle. After the interview aired, the company claimed in a statement
from CEO Darren Woods that McCoy’s comments “in no way represent the
company’s position on a variety of issues” and that McCoy was “never
involved in developing the company’s policy positions on the issues
discussed.”

“We condemn the statements and are deeply apologetic for them, including
comments regarding interactions with elected officials,” Woods’s
statement continued. “We were shocked by these interviews and stand by
our commitments to working on finding solutions to climate change.” OK,
Darren. We get it.

After McCoy’s interview aired, the House Oversight and Reform Committee
asked him to testify about his comments as part of their larger
investigation into oil companies—which makes sense, given that McCoy
basically openly bragged about how the company manipulates politicians
into doing what they want. Exxon declined to comment to E&E whether or
not McCoy would be covered by legal representation if he’s called to
testify. (The House committee hasn’t confirmed whether or not McCoy
accepted their invitation to testify.)

No matter! Dirty oil executives always seem to find a way to land on
their feet after a scandal. Maybe there’s a future career for McCoy in
utilities or something.
https://gizmodo.com/exxon-lobbyist-caught-on-tape-sharing-climate-strategy-1847767033

- -

[see for yourself in the 9 minute video]
*Revealed: ExxonMobil’s lobbying war on climate change legislation*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v1Yg6XejyE

/[ Mental health for firefighters - video]/
*NWCG video about firefighter mental health*
The National Wildfire Coordinating Group has published a video for
firefighters about about mental health. It features several former or
current firefighters who have been trained as critical incident stress
management peer supporters or CISM Clinicians.

It was posted July 19, 2021 but as of today it has only been viewed 83
times, perhaps because it is “unlisted”.  @DOIWildlandFire tweeted about
the video today. We suggested to them that the status be changed, which
should make it possible to search for it and also show up on lists of
NWCG videos.

The presenters make an interesting point comparing physical fitness and
mental fitness. As a firefighter you have to work at both of them, and
they lay out several ways to stay mentally fit.

If you are a firefighter or the spouse or family member of one, spend 18
minutes watching this video.
https://wildfiretoday.com/2021/09/29/nwcg-video-about-firefighter-mental-health/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTVHn2rFuAw

- -

/[important report ] /
*Born into the Climate Crisis: Why we must act now to secure children’s
rights*
The threat posed to children and their rights by the climate crisis is
not theoretical: it is real, and it is urgent. Save the Children has
partnered with an international team of leading climate researchers led
by the Vrije Universiteit Brussel to quantify the extent to which
children will experience extreme weather events as a manifestation of
climate change, the disparities between generations, and the widening
inequality between high-income and low- and middle-income countries.

Without drastic mitigation action to reduce emissions and limit warming
to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels, led by high-income and
high-emitting countries and informed by children’s best interests and
identified priorities, the children of these low- and middle-income
countries will be burdened with the most dangerous impacts of the
climate crisis. They have inherited a problem not of their own making.

The window of opportunity to make a difference for children is quickly
closing. Commitments to climate action and financing remain dangerously
inadequate, and unless global leaders scale up their ambition now,
current and future generations of children will suffer.

This report has been developed with the support of a dedicated Child
Reference Group, comprised of 12 children aged between 12–17 years old
from across the globe, to lay out how the intergenerational impacts of
climate change are infringing on children’s rights to life, education,
and protection.

PUBLISHED 2021-09-27
https://resourcecentre.savethechildren.net/library/born-climate-crisis-why-we-must-act-now-secure-childrens-rights

- -

/[full report is 50 pages]/
*Born into the Climate Crisis: Why we must act now to secure children’s
rights*
https://resourcecentre.savethechildren.net/node/19591/pdf/born-into-the-climate-crisis.pdf

/[follow the money, or insure the money. ]/
*Climate Change Replaces Pandemic as Insurers’ Biggest Worry*
By Alexandre Rajbhandari
September 28, 2021,

Climate change has returned to the top of the list of insurers’ biggest
concerns as the vaccine roll-out and gradual lifting of health
restrictions see pandemic fears ease in many countries.

Global warming was ranked as the biggest risk to society over the next
five to 10 years in a report released Tuesday by French insurance giant
AXA SA. While that also topped the ranking in 2018 and 2019, it was
outstripped by diseases and pandemics last year as the virus spread
across the globe.

“Climate change is back at the top of the agenda,” AXA Chief Executive
Officer Thomas Buberl said in a statement. “This is good news, since
last year we feared that the explosion of health risks may overshadow
the climate emergency.”...
- -
Insurers are being increasingly challenged by global warming as extreme
weather events wrought by climate change are expected to keep rising.
Just under a fifth of the 3,500 insurance professionals polled across 60
countries expressed faith in public authorities to mitigate the crisis.

Axa, which chairs the Net Zero Insurance alliance, is trying to push the
industry’s largest players to exclude polluting companies and focus on
those that have clear and credible transition plans, both in their
investment and underwriting universes. The latter policy is even more
powerful, Buberl said in an interview with Bloomberg TV on Wednesday.

“On the investment side, we are one of many investors, and if you want
to find funds for a coal factory today, you will”, Buberl said in the
interview. But if a company can’t get insurance to protect against risk,
then it won’t be able to secure investors, he said.

*Cyber risks on the rise*
The survey also found that cyber risks, which ranked second on the list,
was a fast-growing fear for insurers. This year, some 61% of respondents
put cybersecurity among their top five concerns, up from 54% in 2018.
The pandemic dropped to third place.

“The pandemic and the lockdown have certainly accentuated the use of
digital tools, and we insurers have seen that it has also intensified
cyber risks and attacks,” AXA Deputy CEO Frederic de Courtois said at a
press briefing with reporters.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-28/climate-change-replaces-pandemic-as-insurers-biggest-worry

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*On this day in the history of global warming September 30 ,*

September 30, 2004: In his first debate with President Bush, Democratic
challenger and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry incurs the wrath of the
right wing by declaring:

"The president always has the right, and always has had the right, for
preemptive strike. That was a great doctrine throughout the Cold War.
And it was always one of the things we argued about with respect to arms
control. No president, though all of American history, has ever ceded,
and nor would I, the right to preempt in any way necessary to protect
the United States of America.

"But if and when you do it, Jim [Lehrer], you have to do it in a way
that passes the test, that passes the global test where your countrymen,
your people understand fully why you're doing what you're doing and you
can prove to the world that you did it for legitimate reasons. Here we
have our own secretary of state who has had to apologize to the world
for the presentation he made to the United Nations.

"I mean, we can remember when President Kennedy in the Cuban missile
crisis sent his secretary of state to Paris to meet with DeGaulle. And
in the middle of the discussion, to tell them about the missiles in
Cuba, he said, 'Here, let me show you the photos.' And DeGaulle waved
them off and said, "No, no, no, no. The word of the president of the
United States is good enough for me."

"How many leaders in the world today would respond to us, as a result of
what we've done, in that way? So what is at test here is the credibility
of the United States of America and how we lead the world. And Iran and
Iraq are now more dangerous -- Iran and North Korea are now more dangerous.

"Now, whether preemption is ultimately what has to happen, I don't know
yet. But I'll tell you this: As president, I'll never take my eye off
that ball. I've been fighting for proliferation the entire time --
anti-proliferation the entire time I've been in the Congress. And we've
watched this president actually turn away from some of the treaties that
were on the table.

"You don't help yourself with other nations when you turn away from the
global warming treaty, for instance, or when you refuse to deal at
length with the United Nations.

"You have to earn that respect. And I think we have a lot of earning
back to do."

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/FullS  (59:20--61:22)

- Privacy and Security:*This mailing is text-only.  It does not carry