[✔️] April 1, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Apr 1 08:50:28 EDT 2022

/*April 1, 2022*/

/[  "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on: nor all thy
Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, Nor all thy Tears wash out a
Word of it." ― Omar Khayyám ]/
*Greta Thunberg to publish a ‘go-to source’ book on the climate crisis*
The Climate Book will include contributions from scientist Katharine
Hayhoe, economist Thomas Piketty and novelist Margaret Atwood
Lucy Knight - - 31 Mar 2022
Greta Thunberg is releasing a new book this autumn, which aims to offer
a “global overview of how the planet’s many crises connect”.

“I have decided to use my platform to create a book based on the current
best available science – a book that covers the climate, ecological and
sustainability crises holistically”, Thunberg said in a statement.
“Because the climate crisis is, of course, only a symptom of a much
larger sustainability crisis. My hope is that this book might be some
kind of go-to source for understanding these different, closely
interconnected crises.”

In The Climate Book, which is due to be published by Penguin this
autumn, Thunberg has assembled more than 100 contributors, from
scientists Johan Rockström and Katharine Hayhoe to economist Thomas
Piketty and novelist Margaret Atwood. The 19-year-old also shares what
she has learned from her own experiences of climate activism. In
particular, she discusses the prevalence of greenwashing, revealing the
extent to which we have been kept in the dark about the issue. She names
this as one of our biggest problems, but also our greatest source of
hope – because, she believes, once we are all given the full picture, we
will be able to act.
“Right now, we are in desperate need of hope”, Thunberg said. “But hope
is not about pretending that everything will be fine.”
She added: “To me, hope is not something that is given to you, it is
something you have to earn, to create. It cannot be gained passively,
through standing by and waiting for someone else to do something. Hope
is taking action. It is stepping outside your comfort zone. And if a
bunch of weird schoolkids were able to get millions of people to start
changing their lives, just imagine what we could all do together if we
really tried.”

Since 2018, when Thunberg, then 15, started her now famous school
strike, the Swedish teenager has been calling for stronger action to be
taken against the climate crisis. She has become a worldwide celebrity
and figurehead of the environmental activist community, becoming the
youngest Time Person of the Year in 2019 and being nominated three times
for a Nobel peace prize.
She has previously published three books, two co-authored by her parents
and sister: Scenes from the Heart and Our House Is on Fire, and one
collection of speeches, No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference. This
new book is set to be her most comprehensive work yet, pulling together
ideas and knowledge from experts with a view to “equip us all” to make
positive change.

“Greta has proven herself to be one of our finest and most galvanising
new writers”, said Chloe Currens, Thunberg’s editor at Penguin. “In a
series of sharp, insightful and impassioned chapters, which knit the
book’s different parts together, she shares her own experiences and
responds to what she’s learned.”
Currens went on to call The Climate Book “unique” and “alive with moral
purpose”. It “aims to change the climate conversation forever” she said.
The Climate Book is due to be published in the UK on 27 October 2022,
with a US release planned for early 2023.
The full list of contributors can be found [here at
https://uploads.guim.co.uk/2022/03/31/Contributors.pdf ].
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/mar/31/greta-thunberg-the-climate-book-crisis

/[ NYT tells us ] /
*How Bad Is California’s Drought Ahead of Dry Season?*
Moving into April means the end of the state’s rainy season — and hope
of improving drought conditions.
By Soumya Karlamangla - - March 31, 2022

Today marks the final day of California’s rainy season.

December, January and February are typically the wettest months in the
Golden State, with 75 percent of the state’s annual precipitation
falling between November and March.

Now we’re about to enter our dry season, and the drought is nowhere near
over. Gov. Gavin Newsom this week, in an attempt to curb water usage,
proposed banning businesses from watering their lawns. More than 93
percent of California is considered to be in severe or extreme drought.

“We are definitely very much at the tail end of our wet season in
California,” Jeanine Jones, drought manager with the California
Department of Water Resources, told me. “We are not expecting any
significant amount of additional precipitation — certainly not something
that would make any difference for the drought.”

Jones added: “In other words, most of what we’re going to get, we have
gotten.”

So where does that leave us?
All of California’s major reservoirs are currently at below-average
levels. The state’s snowpack on Wednesday was a dismal 39 percent of
what it typically is this time of year, according to state data. Newsom
hasn’t yet announced mandatory water cuts for Californians but faces
increasing pressure to do so.

The water year in California runs from Oct. 1 to Sept. 30 and is defined
that way so that the winter rainy season falls within a single water year.

Between October and December — the start of this water year — California
received more rainfall than it had over the previous 12 months.
Atmospheric rivers shattered records and replenished reservoirs.

But then we entered 2022. January and February represented the driest
two-month start to a year on record in California, according to state
officials. March is unlikely to be much better, even after this week’s
storms.

The whiplash isn’t unusual in the Golden State; we have more climate
variability than any other state in the nation, Jones said. And the
weather has recently become even more unpredictable because of the
effects of climate change...
Still, the heavy rains from the end of 2021 were not enough to overcome
the past three exceptionally dry months.

At the end of December, the state had received 150 percent of the
precipitation it typically has at that point in the water year. That
figure has since dropped to below average — to roughly 70 percent.

Unfortunately, with March coming to a close and no storms on the
horizon, we can say with near certainty that California’s drought in
2022 will keep getting worse.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/31/us/california-rain-drought.html

/[ reconsidering measurements ]/
Estimates of the carbon cycle—vital to predicting climate change—are
incorrect, researchers show
by Virginia Tech -- APRIL 1, 2022
"Either the amount of carbon coming out of the atmosphere from the
plants is wrong or the amount coming out of the soil is wrong," said
Meredith Steele, an assistant professor in the School of Plant and
Environmental Sciences in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences,
whose Ph.D. student at the time, Jinshi Jian, led the research team. The
findings are to be published Friday in Nature Communications.

"We are not challenging the well-established climate change science, but
we should be able to account for all carbon in the ecosystem and
currently cannot," she said. "What we found is that the models of the
ecosystem's response to climate change need updating."
https://phys.org/news/2022-04-carbon-cyclevital-climate-changeare-incorrect.html

/[ no joke from National Geographic video ] /
*2 Degrees Till The End. Global Warming Documentary*
Dec 1, 2021
Science
Global warming is sure to cause many cataclysms. Poisonous methane is
overcoming the atmosphere. The new Flood is coming. These are not usual
tabloid scary stories. United Nations have stated the point of no return
for the climate on Earth. They say, we have only two degrees Celsius
left. If the weather gets two degrees warmer, the consequences will be
crucial for humanity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCIeAqusDuk

/[ A big issue - video panel ]/
*The Middle East's Climate Change Wake-Up*
Feb 17, 2022
Carnegie Endowment
In the Middle East, climate change poses an unchecked threat as it
sharpens socio-economic inequalities and further jeopardizes the plight
of vulnerable communities already challenged by poor governance, water
shortages, and conflict-induced displacement. While some Middle East
governments have been proactive in the transition to renewable energy,
there is still much more they can and should do to adapt to the
far-reaching effects of climate change through better governance and
inclusion.

Join a panel of distinguished scholars for a wide-ranging discussion on
the cascading impacts of climate change in the Middle East and how
governments and citizens can prepare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5GHyZGziSM

/[  Potholer54  has a great journalistic analysis in this video ] /
*A close look at Roy Spencer's claims on global warming*
Mar 19, 2022
potholer54

CORRECTIONS:
1:47 GRL paper is 2019, not 2020
2.52 RSS is 5 degrees short of worldwide, N & S latitiudes
10:15 date should be 85mya not 50mya

Charity donations:
https://healthinharmony.org/donate/

Table of troposphere results:
climatefeedback.org/claimreview/noaa-shows-clear-global-warming-trends-over-the-past-58-years-based-on-radiosonde-data
2 copy 2

UAH wrong, the Earth is warming:
https://archive.is/zfd3D

'Global Warming Conference: The State of Climate Change Science'
by Dr. Roy Spencer (COMPETITIVE ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE) 1997
http://web.archive.org/web/2002112722...

Graph of hindcast/forecast from 2000
    From "Study Confirms Climate Models are Getting Future Warming
Projections Right" https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2943/st...

"There isn't a problem with the measurements that we can find,"
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news...

" Evaluating the Performance of Past Climate Model Projections"
   -- Hausfather et al 2019
https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.c...

NOTE: Models don't actually project temperatures in degrees centigrade
per decade, they predict the forcing effect of the various feedbacks for
a given rise in carbon gas concentration, and the temperature rise per
decade is inferred from that. In the case of the 17 models reviewed in
the Geophysical Research Letters journal, ten of them accurately
predicted the actual CO2 concentration increase and matched actual
temperature data. Four matched actual temperature data when their CO2
assumptions were adjusted to match actual CO2 concentration. Two were
overestimates, and one was an underestimate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29QDGEJC1fg

- -

/[ DeSmogBlog Database entry for Roy Spencer ]/
*Roy W Spencer*
Background
Roy W. Spencer is a research scientist at the University of Alabama,
Huntsville. He operates his own blog on global warming where he
describes himself as a “climatologist, author, [and] former NASA
scientist.” [1]

Spencer is an advisor to the Cornwall Alliance, formerly the Interfaith
Steward Alliance (ISA), an evangelical Christian group that claims
environmentalism is “one of the greatest threats to society and the
church today.” [2], [3], [4]

According to “Global Warming 101,” a section of Spencer’s website, “the
extra carbon dioxide we pump into the atmosphere is not enough to cause
the observed warming in the last 100 years.” [5]
https://www.desmog.com/roy-spencer/

/[The news archive - looking back - is anybody keeping score?   ]/
*April 1, 2009*
The New York Times reports:

    "The debate on global warming and energy policy accelerated on
    Tuesday as two senior House Democrats unveiled a far-reaching bill
    to cap heat-trapping gases and quicken the country’s move away from
    dependence on coal and oil.

    "But the bill leaves critical questions unanswered and has no
    Republican support. It is thus the beginning, not the end, of the
    debate in Congress on how to deal with two of President Obama’s
    priorities, climate change and energy.

    "The draft measure, written by Representatives Henry A. Waxman of
    California and Edward J. Markey of Massachusetts, sets a slightly
    more ambitious goal for capping heat-trapping gases than Mr. Obama’s
    proposal. The bill requires that emissions be reduced 20 percent
    from 2005 levels by 2020, while Mr. Obama’s plan calls for a 14
    percent reduction by 2020. Both would reduce emissions of carbon
    dioxide, methane and other greenhouse gases by roughly 80 percent by
    2050."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/us/politics/01energycnd.html?pagewanted=print

*More daily summaries*

*Climate Nexus https://climatenexus.org/hot-news/*