[✔️] April 26, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Tue Apr 26 07:26:58 EDT 2022

/*April 26, 2022*/

/[ follow the investment money ]/
*Warren Buffett Faces Renewed Climate Change Challenge by Investors*
Mr. Buffett has pushed back against investors who want to force
Berkshire Hathaway to do more to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/25/business/energy-environment/warren-buffett-climate-change.html

/[ Self-immolation as demonstration ] /
*Climate Activists Hail Man Who Burned Himself Alive on SCOTUS Steps*
By Paul Bois - APR 25, 2022
Climate activists called Wynn Bruce a martyr because he burned himself
alive before the U.S. Supreme Court stepped in to protest climate change.

As Housekaart News previously reported, 50-year-old Wynn Bruce died of
his injuries after setting himself on fire in front of the Supreme Court
to raise awareness of climate change:

    In an incident report, the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police
    Department (MPD) said Wynn Bruce, 50, of Boulder, Colorado,
    committed the act around 6:05 p.m. Friday. HILL famous. MPD, Supreme
    Court police and Capitol Police responded to the scene. Bruce died
    of his injuries after being helicoptered to a local hospital.

According to Bruce’s Facebook page, he is a practicing Buddhist and is
setting himself on fire. In the hours after his untimely death, climate
activists hailed him on social media as a hero who displayed
compassionate acts of self-sacrifice.

“Climate activist Wynn Alan Bruce set himself on fire in front of the
Supreme Court on Earth Day. He died in this act of self-immolation. Heed
his warning. Take the climate crisis seriously. End fossil fuels,”
Washington congressional candidate Rebecca Parson said in a statement.
wrote on Twitter.

“This man is my friend. He meditates with our Sangha. This act is not
suicide. It is a very fearless act of compassion to draw attention to
the climate crisis. We are piecing together the message, but he It has
been planned for at least a year. #winbrus I’m so touched,” tweeted Dr.
Kritee K Zen monk and senior scientist at the Environmental Protection
Foundation (EDF).

Twitter comment emptywheel @emptywheel

    I invite you to pre-pitch the headline you want NYT to use when the
    human race collectively commits climate suicide.

    Go.

    We're all committing suicide. Wynn Bruce just did it after great
    reflection...
    - -
    Tara 🐯 Brown Ⓥ
    On Earth Day, Wynn Bruce, a Buddhist, perished outside the Supreme
    Court in a self-immolation protest against climate crisis inaction.

    The media needs to report this story better, and politicians need to
    address it.

http://housekaart.com/index.php/2022/04/25/climate-activists-hail-man-who-burned-himself-alive-on-scotus-steps/

- -

/[NYTimes]/
*Climate Activist Dies After Setting Himself on Fire at Supreme Court*
A friend described the actions of Wynn Bruce, of Boulder, Colo., as “a
deeply fearless act of compassion to bring attention to climate crisis.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/24/us/politics/climate-activist-self-immolation-supreme-court.html

- -

/[ an easy  phone call ]/
*Suicide prevention services: *USA: 800-273-8255 or text TALK to 741741
Canada: 1.833.456.4566 | Text 45645
https://afsp.org/

/[ basic nutrition and CO2   ] /
*Link between CO2 and less nutritious food*
Cutting greenhouse gas emissions would not only slow global heating, it
would also ensure our food remains nutritious. When plants absorb excess
CO2, they produce less protein and fewer nutrients like zinc and iron.
Deficiencies in those nutrients can result in many health problems,
especially in children. If CO2 keeps rising, hundreds of millions more
people will face chronic undernutrition.

https://www.dw.com/en/what-to-expect-from-the-worlds-sixth-mass-extinction/a-60360245

- -

/[ CO2 damage ]/
*Climate Change & Nutrition*
  Rising carbon dioxide levels from human activity can make staple crops
like rice and wheat less nutritious.
  - -
If extra CO2 in the atmosphere makes those crops less nutritious, it
will be even harder to feed the world's growing population. The details:
In most of the places where food is grown today, crop yields are likely
to be lower because of more frequent heat waves, worse air pollution,
floods, and droughts.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/c-change/

/[ Avoiding Extinction ]/
*EXTINCTION IS UPON US*
One hundred new species are disappearing every day
Insects are especially vulnerable with more than 40% of species
experiencing population declines in the past decade*

 From The Guardian:
“Human nature isn’t driving mass extinction – as some have argued – but
our acceptance of capitalism is, according to Professor Ashley Dawson.
In his recent, slim, eye-opening book, Extinction: A Radical History,
Dawson lays out the case that our current global economic system is
pushing the Earth ever closer to a mass extinction event – one not seen
since a rogue comet ended the reign of the dinosaurs.

But he also argues there are potential solutions, including giving a
universal guaranteed income to populations living in or near
biodiversity hotspots to counter poaching, deforestation, and other
harmful activities.

Dawson’s book [is] an elegant, controversial thesis about how we got
here and why.”
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28479937-extinction

/[   Big dreams for flooding Australia ] /
*Australia’s insane plan to green the Outback*
Apr 24, 2022
CaspianReport
Check out Storyblocks and sign up for the Unlimited All Access Plan:
https://www.storyblocks.com/caspian
Major infrastructure projects have been proposed to master #Australia's
forbidding #geography and turn its #deserts into arable land.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGrDOR7lBQ4

/[  BBC uncovers misinformation campaign ] /
*How high-profile scientists felt tricked by group denying climate change*
By Marco Silva and Merlyn Thomas - BBC climate disinformation reporters
April 26, 2022

A dozen scientists, politicians, and campaigners say they have been
tricked into participating in online events promoting climate-change denial.

The events were organised by the Creative Society, an international
activist group that denies global warming is being caused by human activity.

The overwhelming majority of scientists agree greenhouse gases - which
trap the Sun's heat - are causing a rise in global temperatures...
- -
But the Creative Society alleges, without any credible evidence, a
conspiracy and condemns what it calls the "CO2 fraud".

The group told BBC News it "provides a platform for all ideas to be
expressed" and rejected allegations it tricked anyone into participating
in its events.

*From 'cosmic pulses' to 'corrupted scientists'*
The Creative Society says it has supporters in more than 100 countries
but seems to be most popular in Eastern and Central Europe.

The group runs a network of more than 200 accounts - with hundreds of
thousands of followers - across all major social media platforms.  And
through them, bad information about global warming is being spread.
- -
BBC News has seen dozens of posts denying elementary facts of climate
change.

The group has uploaded videos on YouTube falsely describing greenhouse
gases as "the scam of the century".

On TikTok, it links - without credible evidence - the melting of
glaciers to "cosmic pulses of galactic interactions".

And on Facebook, it has paid to promote videos wrongly describing
renewable energies as a "scam".

It also tweeted memes about "corrupted scientists... lying about the
causes of climate change"...
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/CFAA/production/_124226135_3.jpg

Asked why it was using social media to promote climate denial, Alexey
Prudkov, coordinator of the Creative Society project in Switzerland,
told BBC News: "Climate denialism is a very catchy and at the same time
totally misleading term."

But asked whether global warming was being primarily caused by human
activities - such as the burning of fossil fuels - he replied: "No, it's
not.

"CO2 is only 0.04% of the total gases in our atmosphere."

This figure is accurate but fails to show how effective carbon dioxide
is in trapping the Earth's heat.

How do we know climate change is caused by humans?
"The problem with 99% of scientific literature is that it only studies
one factor," Mr Prudkov said.

"We call for true science that studies the problem from all angles."

TikTok, Meta, which owns Facebook and Instagram, Twitter, and Google,
which owns YouTube, said they had opened investigations into Creative
Society accounts, after being contacted by BBC News.

*11 hours to find 'the truth'*
On social media, the organisation drums up support for its online
conferences, featuring sharp-looking volunteers speaking from their
carefully lit living rooms...

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/6A74/production/_124225272_apocalypticalfootage_cropped.jpg
Footage of natural disasters was edited into cinematic sequences and
shown at the conferences
They also include short films depicting footage of natural disasters,
played over loud, apocalyptic tracks.

The group's last two conferences went on for more than 11 hours.

Broadcast in dozens of languages, they have amassed thousands of views
online.

In these videos, the Creative Society promises to reveal "the truth"
about the climate crisis.

They offer testimonies from high-profile guests from around the world -
all seemingly backing the group and its ideas.

But several told BBC News they regretted participating.

Some said they had been unaware of the group's views on climate change,
others their interviews had been manipulated.

*The invitations*
"I have been tricked," Dr Saleemul Huq, director of the International
Centre for Climate Change and Development, in Bangladesh, said.

Dr Huq has contributed to major reports by the Intergovernmental Panel
on Climate Change, a UN body considered to set the gold standard for
climate science.

When Creative Society volunteers invited him for an interview, he simply
"didn't think very much about it".

He had been told the footage would be shown at an international
conference, he said, but had not asked who the other contributors would be.

And only after it aired, last year, did he realise something was amiss.
- -
Dr Saleemul Huq ... describes the Creative Society as a "denialist group"
"I got a message from a couple of people saying, 'Do you know who these
people are and what they believe in?'" Dr Huq said.

"That's when I looked into it - and saw they were not what I had thought
they were."

The Creative Society denies it deceived any of its guests.

"It was a certain lack of due diligence [from the guests]," Mr Prudkov
told BBC News.

Information about the group and links to its website had been included
in each invitation.

"We have been actively communicating about climate change for several
years," he said.

"We always openly stated our position.

"Before any interview recording, we have a pre-call via Zoom where we
explain what we are talking about and who the other participants are.

"We took the time to reach out to every contributor after the
conferences aired, asking them to share their impressions."

One of the invitation letters sent out by Creative Society volunteers

BBC News has seen several of the invitations.
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/336A/production/_124226131_montage-letter.jpg

They clearly identify climate change as one the topics of these
conferences. But there is no mention of the group's views or denial of
human-driven climate change.

Dr Huq has asked the Creative Society to stop using his interview in
online materials.

In response, Mr Prudkov told BBC News, it would not include Dr Huq's
footage "in any future material".

And the interview has been removed from the group's website and most
social-media accounts.

*Selective editing and 'manipulation'*
Several others invited to contribute to Creative Society conferences
last year told BBC News they had been unaware of the group's views on
climate change when they had accepted an interview request.
- -
The office of Juraj Smatana, a State Secretary at Slovakia's Ministry of
Environment, said his pre-recorded contribution had been "manipulated"
to give the impression he agreed with the views presented at the
conference. Mr Smatana is one of the ministry's highest ranking officials.

It told BBC News legal action against the Creative Society was being
considered.

Other guests have also suggested their pre-recorded contributions were
misrepresented.

Portuguese Euro-MP Carlos Zorrinho said he had been "urged several
times" during his interview to praise the work of the Creative Society.

"That did not please me," he told BBC News.

/Portuguese MEP Carlos Zorrinho delivers a pre-recorded message at a
Creative Society conference../
- -
Portuguese MEP Carlos Zorrinho hopes his experience will serve as a
"warning" for others
Jeff Masters, a US meteorologist who studies extreme weather events,
said: "They were definitely selective about what I said.

"They did not include any of the parts where I talked about human-caused
climate change."

The Creative Society denies accusations of manipulation or coaching.

"Media outlets edit the material to fit the time constraints and present
the viewers with only the most essential information," Mr Prudkov said.

And the group was promoting "truthful information about the true causes"
of climate change.

Anyone unhappy with their appearance on the videos should contact the
society, which will "accommodate their requests", it says...
- -
But why would the group interview people it fundamentally disagrees with?

It did not target anyone in particular and believed in allowing a
platform for a wide spectrum of opinions, Mr Prudkov said...
- -
US meteorologist Jeff Masters says the Creative Society was "selective"
about what he said
But some of the guests told BBC News its real intent was to gain
credibility.

"They're drawing on the legitimate voices but then debunking what we are
saying, in the overall impression that they are giving information," Dr
Huq said.

*The star factor*
Mr Prudkov told BBC News "thousands of people" had been invited to
Creative Society conferences.

In online posts, volunteers can be seen handing invitations to Hollywood
stars including Johnny Depp, Javier Bardem and Elijah Wood.

None of them attended and there is no suggestion any back the group or
its ideas - but it has allowed it to feature stars in its videos.

Another conference is scheduled in May.

*Pseudoscience and conspiracy links*
The Creative Society calls itself as a "project of all humanity" that,
Mr Prudkov said, was "aiming to take our civilization out of this
deadlock of self-destruction".

But its structure and finances are opaque.

And while it claims to have no leaders, one man features prominently in
the group's social-media posts.

Igor Mikhailovich Danilov, a soft-spoken chiropractor, is also a leading
figure in the AllatRa Ukrainian spiritual movement, whose members are
among the founders of the Creative Society.

Mr Prudkov told BBC News Mr Danilov described himself as a "participant,
a volunteer" of the Creative Society.

AllatRa is known for promoting pseudoscience and wild conspiracy
theories involving aliens and secretive powerful elites that sacrifice
children...

- -
In 2017, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate warned
against AllatRa's "destructive activities", describing it as an "occult
para-religious organisation".

Three years later, the Church's Chelyabinsk diocese, in west-central
Russia, said it was concerned about what it considered a "psychocult".

The AllatRa movement did not respond to BBC News requests for comment.

It remains unclear how the Creative Society is funded but Mr Prudkov
insists members are volunteers devoting their free time to the cause.

"We don't have any external funding," he said.

"This is all done by people themselves.

"There is no oil funding, or any other sources of income.

"We are not sponsored by any government or any institution."

With additional reporting from Ilona Hromliuk (BBC Ukrainian)

Do you have a story for us? Get in touch.
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-61166339

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*April, 26, 1978*
April 26, 1978: The Supreme Court explicitly gives private-sector
entities (including polluters) 1st Amendment rights in the First
National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti case.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1977/76-1172

*More daily summaries*
*Climate Nexus https://climatenexus.org/hot-news/*

*The Daily Climate   Subscribe https://ehsciences.activehosted.com/f/61*