[✔️] August 12, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Aug 12 05:54:02 EDT 2022

/*August 12, 2022*/

/[ video attracts our attention - Google offers 150,000 firenado videos ]/
*'Firenado' sparked by hot winds and wildfires burns in California – video*
https://youtu.be/ncA3C7dJfVE
Thu 11 Aug 2022
Smoke and flames swirled in a tornado-like pattern as hot winds met a
wildfire in southern California.
The fire near Quail Lake in Gorman closed portions of Route 138
northwest of Los Angeles.
The LA county fire department tweeted that crews were making good
progress on the fire and that no structures were threatened
Death toll rises to four in California’s biggest wildfire this year
Source: ABC7 Los Angeles | @FIRIS | Twitter
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2022/aug/11/firenado-sparked-by-hot-winds-and-wildfires-burns-in-california-video
https://youtu.be/ncA3C7dJfVE

/[ Heat waves fan flames ]/
*Wildfires Rip Through France, Again, Weeks After Last Heat Wave*
In the southwest, a blaze that started in July has reignited because of
the heat and the dry air, scorching an additional 26 square miles of
bushes and forest.
- -
“It’s a real slap in the face,” said Mr. Allione, of the firefighter
federation. “Experts were telling us that these kind of events would
occur between 2030 and 2050,” he said. “Today, it’s 2022. Almost a
decade earlier.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/world/europe/france-wildfires-heat-wave.html

/[ like driving faster than the posted speed limit? ]/
*Arctic Warming Is Happening Faster Than Described, Analysis Shows*
The warming at the top of the globe, a sign of climate change, is
happening much faster than previously described compared with the global
average, scientists said Thursday.
By Henry Fountain
Aug. 11, 2022
The rapid warming of the Arctic, a definitive sign of climate change, is
occurring even faster than previously described, researchers in Finland
said Thursday.

Over the past four decades the region has been heating up four times
faster than the global average, not the two to three times that has
commonly been reported. And some parts of the region, notably the
Barents Sea north of Norway and Russia, are warming up to seven times
faster, they said.

One result of rapid Arctic warming is faster melting of the Greenland
ice sheet, which adds to sea-level rise. But the impacts extend far
beyond the Arctic, reaching down to influence weather like extreme
rainfall and heat waves in North America and elsewhere. By altering the
temperature difference between the North Pole and the Equator, the
warming Arctic appears to have affected storm tracks and wind speed in
North America...
- -
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/climate/arctic-global-warming.html

- -

/[ printed nature journal Communications Earth and Environment, ]/
Published: 11 August 2022
*The Arctic has warmed nearly four times faster than the globe since 1979*
Mika Rantanen, Alexey Yu. Karpechko, Antti Lipponen, Kalle Nordling,
Otto Hyvärinen, Kimmo Ruosteenoja, Timo Vihma & Ari Laaksonen
Communications Earth & Environment volume 3, Article number: 168
https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-022-00498-3/figures/1
*Abstract*

    In recent decades, the warming in the Arctic has been much faster
    than in the rest of the world, a phenomenon known as Arctic
    amplification. Numerous studies report that the Arctic is warming
    either twice, more than twice, or even three times as fast as the
    globe on average. Here we show, by using several observational
    datasets which cover the Arctic region, that during the last 43
    years the Arctic has been warming nearly four times faster than the
    globe, which is a higher ratio than generally reported in
    literature. We compared the observed Arctic amplification ratio with
    the ratio simulated by state-of-the-art climate models, and found
    that the observed four-fold warming ratio over 1979–2021 is an
    extremely rare occasion in the climate model simulations. The
    observed and simulated amplification ratios are more consistent with
    each other if calculated over a longer period; however the
    comparison is obscured by observational uncertainties before 1979.
    Our results indicate that the recent four-fold Arctic warming ratio
    is either an extremely unlikely event, or the climate models
    systematically tend to underestimate the amplification.

/[ I once lived on Sleeping Giant Drive - now the world lives beside the
sleeping giant ]/
*Antarctica’s ‘sleeping giant’ risks melting, threatens spike in sea levels*
By Rachel Pannett
August 10, 2022
Scientists say the window for protecting the world’s largest ice sheet
from significantly shrinking is narrowing, with troubling new
predictions that it has the potential to unleash sea level rises of up
to 16½ feet over the long term if greenhouse gas emissions targets
aren’t met.
Australian scientists are embarking on a campaign over the next few
years to deepen their understanding of the Denham glacier region, a
12-mile-wide stream of ice that flows over the deepest undersea canyon
in the East Antarctica Ice Sheet. Scientists have previously warned that
the canyon could provide a potential pathway for the ocean to infiltrate
deep into Antarctica’s center.

“We understand the Moon better than East Antarctica. So, we don’t yet
fully understand the climate risks that will emerge from this area,”
said Matt King, co-author of the latest study and an expert in sea level
and ice sheet change at the University of Tasmania.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/08/10/east-antarctic-ice-sheet-melting-climate-change/

/[ I would prefer the term 'global warming', but it still applies ]/
*Climate change’s impact intensifies as U.S. prepares to take action*
As U.S. prepares to pass landmark bill, the planet isn’t waiting around
By Chris Mooney, Brady Dennis and Sarah Kaplan
August 11, 2022
- -
Over the past 40 years, as the world’s largest historical emitter of
greenhouses gases repeatedly failed to take significant action on the
climate, the region surrounding Svalbard has warmed at least four times
as fast as the global average, according to significant research
published Thursday.

The study suggests that warming in the Arctic is happening at a much
faster rate than many scientists had expected. And while U.S. lawmakers
this summer hashed out the details of a massive bill to speed their
nation’s shift toward cleaner energy — the culmination of months of
deliberations — the new findings were just the latest visceral reminder
that the planet’s changing climate isn’t waiting around for human action.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/08/11/climate-changes-impact-intensifies-us-is-poised-pass-major-bill/

/[ Gleick is a highly respected climate scientist ]/
Tweet
Peter Gleick 🇺🇸
@PeterGleick
*Climate change continues to accelerate/worsen:*
The Arctic is warming 4x faster than expected.
The Antarctic is losing ice faster than expected.
The drought hitting Europe is the worst in 500 yrs.
Extreme floods/droughts are hitting the US.
Data sources in image description below.
https://twitter.com/PeterGleick/status/1557823383441514496

- -

Pinned Tweet
Peter Gleick 🇺🇸
@PeterGleick
Mar 13, 2020
There's a reason every disaster movie starts with the government
ignoring a scientist.
When you degrade, ignore, and dismiss the warnings of science you
threaten all of us.
https://twitter.com/PeterGleick/status/1238576767759253504/photo/1

- -

https://twitter.com/JMarkDodds/status/1475966601044373509/photo/1

/[  learning about Hydrogen colors -- color is only a name of how it was
made ] /
*What is hydrogen energy? And what's the difference between blue and
green hydrogen? | News glossary*
Jul 18, 2022  Hydrogen could possibly be the next big thing in energy
but do you know what it actually is? And why have the discussions around
a colourless gas involved so many colours?

In this episode of News glossary, Matilda Boseley gives us a rundown of
what hydrogen energy is and what the difference between all the colours
are. And before you ask, yes, there really is pink hydrogen and
turquoise hydrogen. Pink hydrogen is generated through electrolysis