[✔️] December 15, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Thu Dec 15 09:37:20 EST 2022

/*December 15, 2022*/

/[  water nowhere ] /
*Drought emergency declared for all Southern California*
BY HAYLEY SMITH, IAN JAMES
DEC. 14, 2022
As California faces the prospect of a fourth consecutive dry year,
officials with the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California
have declared a regional drought emergency and called on water agencies
to immediately reduce their use of all imported supplies.

The decision from the MWD’s board came about eight months after
officials declared a similar emergency for 7 million people who are
dependent on supplies from the State Water Project, a vast network of
reservoirs, canals and dams that convey water from Northern California.
Residents reliant on California’s other major supply — the Colorado
River — had not been included in that emergency declaration.

“Conditions on the Colorado River are growing increasingly dire,” MWD
Chairwoman Gloria Gray said in a statement. “We simply cannot continue
turning to that source to make up the difference in our limited state
supplies. In addition, three years of California drought are drawing
down our local storage.”...
- -
“One of the biggest areas where we use water is outdoor irrigation,”
Houston said. “That’s really one of the best tools in our toolbox right
now to reduce the need for some of that imported water.”

As officials continue to weigh their options for the Colorado River, the
mandatory measures in State Water Project-dependent areas will continue
through at least June and possibly longer, the MWD said.

“Some Southern Californians may have felt somewhat protected from these
extreme conditions over the past few years,” Gray said. “They shouldn’t
anymore. We are all affected.”
https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2022-12-14/drought-emergency-declared-for-all-southern-california

/[ I don't like to point out misinformers -- unless they are interesting
or entertaining ]/
*Bizarre Tucker Carlson Guest Rambles About 'Climate Vaccines,' 'Phony
Climate War'*
The Fox News host's recent segment took some surprising turns—including
an unintentionally smart proposal to ban private jets.
By Molly Taft
Published 12-14-22
Remember when Tucker Carlson claimed climate activists want to shrink
America’s kids? Well, buckle up: The Fox News host aired another
nonsense climate segment on his show on Monday evening, during which his
guest mused that the Left could have “climate vaccines” ...
- -
I don’t write about this stuff to make everyone feel like they’ve lost
grip on reality, although I’m happy to have you join me in feeling like
your brain is melting out of your ears. Carlson is an incredibly
influential figure in Republican politics and a juggernaut of
conservative cable news. Wild, nonsensical shit with zero basis in
science or reality is a good look at how the Republican party is
pitching climate science to its base. And there are seeds of tired
rhetoric in the slop served up here: the idea that climate regulations
are Communist, the familiar Republican obsession with trees being a
fix-all climate solution, the comparative lack of focus on actual
science—a hands-off “we don’t know what CO2 is actually doing, but
regulations are bad” kind of approach. (Even Bastardi’s jokes about
weather control are close to some Q-Anon conspiracies members of
Congress have espoused.)...
https://gizmodo.com/tucker-carlson-joe-bastardi-climate-vaccines-1849893515

/[ Critical Planet - video discussion ]/
*Message From The Future | Wendy Schultz*
Planet: Critical
Dec 14, 2022
Wendy Schultz is an academically trained futurist with over thirty-five
years of global foresight practice. Director at Infinite Futures, she
has designed futures research projects for NGOs, government agencies,
and businesses.

Wendy and I discuss the Law in the Emerging Bio-Age report she recently
published, which asked how legal structures can support second chances
at improving human relations with living systems and our planet. We also
discuss how to bridle the finance industry to support a just transition,
the role of activism, governments’ relationship to information, and,
more generally, how to solve wicked problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MC5kLrY_rs

- -

/[ Web site for Wendy Schultz  University of Cambridge  ]/
*Improving public policy through the more effective use of evidence and
expertise*
CSaP creates opportunities for public policy professionals and academics
to learn from each other through our Policy Fellowships, workshops and
professional development activities.
Pioneering new ways of bringing academia and government together
CSaP’s mission is to help improve the quality of public policy making
through the more effective use of evidence and expertise. CSaP starts
with the questions from policy professionals and fosters networks
between policy and science based on mutual understanding, respect and
trust. The experience and diversity of our unique network provides fresh
perspectives and critical challenges to conventional thinking, and helps
research from all disciplines contribute more effectively to society.
https://www.csap.cam.ac.uk/network/wendy-schultz/

/[ the top physicist of YouTube - Sabine Hossenfelder has a
multi-subject science report that fascinates ]/
*Yellowstone Volcano Has More Liquid Magma Than Scientists Thought*
Sabine Hossenfelder
39,829 views  Dec 14, 2022
Sign up for Morning Brew here: https://morningbrewdaily.com/sabine It's
free!
Today we’ll talk about the 50-year anniversary of Apollo’s blue marble,
the Square Kilometre Array, talking to robots, the Yellowstone volcano,
nanoparticles that help with carbon capture, a forest bubble – on Mars,
a new method of spacecraft propulsion, tests for cancer, earthquake
tracking from space, and of course, the telephone will ring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa_PN7XjsTs

/[from the news archive - We are "shocked, SHOCKED to discover",
deliberate disinformation at Fox News ]/
/*December 15, 2010*/
December 15, 2010: Media Matters reports on a leaked memo that reveals
the Fox News Channel's unfairness and imbalance with regard to climate
science:

"In the midst of global climate change talks last December, a top Fox
News official sent an email questioning the 'veracity of climate change
data' and ordering the network's journalists to 'refrain from asserting
that the planet has warmed (or cooled) in any given period without
IMMEDIATELY pointing out that such theories are based upon data that
critics have called into question.'

"The directive, sent by Fox News Washington managing editor Bill Sammon,
was issued less than 15 minutes after Fox correspondent Wendell Goler
accurately reported on-air that the United Nations' World Meteorological
Organization announced that 2000-2009 was 'on track to be the warmest
[decade] on record.'

"This latest revelation comes after Media Matters uncovered an email
sent by Sammon to Fox journalists at the peak of the health care reform
debate, ordering them to avoid using the term 'public option' and
instead use variations of 'government option.' That email echoed advice
from a prominent Republican pollster on how to help turn public opinion
against health care reform.

"Sources familiar with the situation in Fox's Washington bureau have
expressed concern about Sammon using his position to 'slant' Fox's
supposedly neutral news coverage to the right."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2010/12/15/foxleaks-fox-boss-ordered-staff-to-cast-doubt-o/174317

http://youtu.be/Kh0AmjHke1M

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli