[✔️] December 31, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Sat Dec 31 06:57:52 EST 2022

/*December 31, 2022*/

/[ See the difference - from YALE School of the Environment ] /
*Stunning Satellite Images of Our Changing Planet in 2022*
E360 DIGEST
DECEMBER 30, 2022
Humans are reshaping the Earth in unprecedented ways, both by turning
vast tracts of wilderness into farms and cities and by altering the
global climate, fueling more intense fires, floods, heat, and drought.
Scientists at NASA have captured the astounding breadth of humanity’s
impact in stunning satellite images. The photos below, all published in
the past year by NASA’s Earth Observatory, reveal the profound changes
now underway. Click photos to enlarge.
https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/_1500x1500_fit_center-center_80/Pakistan.png
https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/California.png
https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/_1500x1500_fit_center-center_80/Bolivia.png
https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/_1500x1500_fit_center-center_80/Mexico.png
https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/_1500x1500_fit_center-center_80/Bahrain.png
https://e360.yale.edu/assets/site/_1500x1500_fit_center-center_80/Greenland.png
*https://e360.yale.edu/digest/nasa-satellite-images-earth-2022*

/[ Your cash $ --  follow the money, notice Canada, where gasoline tax
is rebated ]/
*Climate Action Incentive payment amounts for 2023-24*
The federal government applies a price on pollution in jurisdictions
that do not have their own pollution pricing systems which meets the
federal benchmark. Specifically, in 2023-24, the federal fuel charge
will continue to apply in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Ontario,
and will come into effect as of July 1, 2023 in Newfoundland and
Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.
www.canada.ca
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/news/2022/11/climate-action-incentive-payment-amounts-for-2023-24.html

/[ In praise of positive progress  ]/
*Have We Made ANY Progress on Climate Change? Here's The Data, You Decide*
PBS Terra
Dec 20, 2022
Watch the Earthshot Prize Ceremony: https://youtu.be/8BsBYOMFaQg

PBS Member Stations rely on viewers like you. To support your local
station, go to: http://to.pbs.org/DonateTerra.

RCP 8.5 has often been referred to as “business as usual.” It describes
a world without action on climate policy and continued fossil fuel use
expanding unchecked, leading to a truly apocalyptic future for our
climate and everything living on our planet – including us.

For this episode we wanted to see where we are in terms of “business as
usual,” and if we are still headed towards an apocalypse of sorts… or
if, perhaps, all of the technological innovations in renewables and EVs
along with new climate policy such as the Paris Agreement might have
bent down the curve on global warming. So tune into this episode of
Weathered to see where we’ve been in our race against the clock, where
we’re going, and how the RCP scenarios can help us understand this story
as well as our future on this planet.

Weathered is a show hosted by weather expert Maiya May and produced by
Balance Media that helps explain the most common natural disasters, what
causes them, how they’re changing, and what we can do to prepare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFDnknU0h0s

/[  NPR reports -- ESG stands for Environmental, Social, and Governance
(ESG) investing  --- is a set of standards for a company’s behavior used
by socially conscious investors to screen potential investments.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/environmental-social-and-governance-esg-criteria.asp.
] /
*Republicans plan more attacks on ESG. Investors still plan to focus on
climate risk*
December 29, 2022
MICHAEL COPLEY
Republicans are planning to use their control of the House of
Representatives in 2023 to intensify attacks on companies that account
for climate-related risks when they're making investment decisions.

GOP officials in Washington and more than a dozen states say they're
focusing on firms that are using their financial power to push a
so-called woke political agenda, rather than trying to maximize profits.
As part of the campaign, Florida, Louisiana and Missouri have
collectively pulled more than $3 billion from BlackRock over the
investment firm's consideration of environmental, social and governance
(ESG) issues. Faced with the political backlash, Vanguard, another large
asset manager, said it decided to withdraw from a group of investors
that's working to zero out greenhouse gas emissions by midcentury.

Republicans say they're fighting a coordinated effort by big investors
to impose progressive policies that threaten capitalism itself.

Rep. Andy Barr, a Republican from Kentucky and a senior member of the
House Financial Services Committee, says ESG investing is aimed at
"politicizing capital allocation and actively discriminating against
fossil energy."

ESG is "a cancer in our capital markets that must be eradicated," Barr
said in a statement to NPR.

The Republican offensive might dissuade some investors from publicizing
what they're doing to address climate threats, like rising sea levels
and worsening drought. But financial experts say it isn't shaking a
belief that's spreading among many investors that global warming is
creating risks to the bottom line that have to be reckoned with.

"ESG isn't particularly controversial within the investment field or
among public companies," says Jon Hale, head of sustainability research
at Morningstar, a financial services company. "To the asset managers who
run [investment funds] and to the public companies in which they invest,
things like climate change are real and pose a real threat to many
businesses."
*ESG goes mainstream, inviting attacks*
A lot of investors had a bad year in 2022. Through November, investors
had pulled more than $250 billion out of U.S. investment funds as stock
prices fell, inflation rose and the threat of recession grew, according
to Morningstar. However, funds that have made ESG a central focus of
their investing strategy fared better, taking in around $3 billion
during the same period and "painting a much brighter picture than the
overall U.S. fund market," the firm says.

Sustainable investors "tend to be more connected with their
investments," Hale says. "They're more long-term oriented. And so when
things go South, I think we see sustainable investors staying the course
more so than investors overall."

Now, the sorts of considerations that are at the heart of ESG investing
are showing up across the world of business and finance, he says. Most
big companies and investment fund managers have set their own ESG
initiatives or consider those kinds of issues when they're making
investment decisions, Hale says, even if sustainability isn't their core
focus.

The fact that ESG has become a more common concern embedded across
businesses helps explain why it's being attacked, says Mindy Lubber, CEO
of Ceres, a nonprofit focused on sustainability.

A December hearing that Texas lawmakers held on ESG investing could be a
preview of things to come in Congress. Texas lawmakers said the practice
of analyzing climate risks to make investment decisions is threatening
fossil fuel companies in the state and the entire American economy.

Under questioning in Texas, Dalia Blass, BlackRock's head of external
affairs, said the firm considers ESG issues that pose financial risks
and opportunities for clients in order to deliver "the best
risk-adjusted returns we can for them."

Blass said only a small fraction of the investment funds that BlackRock
manages in the U.S. are labeled as ESG. She also said the firm found
that ESG index funds usually performed better than their non-ESG
counterparts over a three-year period.

"Going forward, Republicans control the House, they seem bent on
investigations, so, perhaps after Hunter Biden, we may see some effort
to try to haul in ESG proponents," says Hale of Morningstar. "But I
think when they do that, they'll find that this is not a group of
leftist ideologues that they seem to expect, but rational business
people and investors."

Rep. Patrick McHenry, a Republican from North Carolina and the incoming
chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, said in a statement
to NPR that GOP lawmakers will "conduct appropriate oversight of
activist regulators and market participants who have an outsized impact."
*Blowback could make investors more conservative in dealing with climate
change*
Voters seem to think that investors should be free to act on concerns
about climate risk. In a September poll by ROKK Solutions and Penn State
University's Center for the Business of Sustainability, 63% of
registered voters said the government shouldn't limit ESG investing.

"They're essentially saying that businesses should have the autonomy to
do [what] they see fit and act in the best interest of their
stakeholders," says Tessa Recendes, an assistant professor of business
at Penn State.

But congressional hearings could still be damaging — or at least
embarrassing — for some investors.

"I think both sides have probably overstated their case: the ones
attacking ESG and the ones who, perhaps, oversold ESG for selfish,
opportunistic reasons," says Shivaram Rajgopal, a professor at Columbia
Business School.

Financial experts say ESG isn't a substitute for government action to
deal with climate change. And there have been complaints that some
companies misrepresent their environmental actions, a practice known as
greenwashing.

As the political backlash grows, some ESG critics are focusing on
investment firms that worked together to apply new standards for
sustainability, saying that sort of collaboration could violate
antitrust laws.

"I'm sure lawyers are spending a lot of time going over minutes,
statements, conversations to make sure that lines weren't crossed, and
where lines were crossed, they have defense strategies," says Witold
Henisz of corporations that could be the focus of Republican scrutiny.
Henisz is faculty director of the ESG Initiative at The Wharton School
of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. "I don't think they
anticipate huge liabilities, huge penalties. But could some firms be
embarrassed? Could there be some conversations that crossed a line that
lead to some fines? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised."

Henisz says one of the biggest risks from the GOP attacks is that
investors will be less willing to take aggressive action to deal with
climate change. But he says there's no sign that investors are wavering
in their belief that ESG issues like global warming pose a serious
financial threat.

Vanguard says that while it's no longer part of the Net Zero Asset
Managers initiative, it will continue focusing on climate risk and
offering investors information and investment products to help them meet
goals of zeroing out greenhouse gas emissions.
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/29/1141838065/republicans-plan-more-attacks-on-esg-investors-still-plan-to-focus-on-climate-ri

/[ Gizmodo report  ]/
*The Climate Disasters That Defined 2022*
Widespread drought, deadly monsoons, and record-breaking temperatures
swept the globe this year.
By Angely Mercado
Dec 30, 2022

    July heat waves cooked the United States...

    Heat waves roasted Argentina in January...

    A prescribed burn went wrong in New Mexico...

    Thousand-year floods pummeled Yellowstone...

    Landslides devastated a mountain community in Brazil...

    India’s heat waves shocked the worldDeadly flash flooding in St.
    Louis...

    Wildfires and heat waves raged across Europe this summer...

    Floods formed a lake in the middle of Pakistan...

    Hurricane Fiona’s trail of destruction from the Caribbean to Canada...

    Hurricane Ian wrecked Florida and flooded Coastal North Carolina...

    Longtime drought has completely dried up a Peruvian lagoon...

https://gizmodo.com/worst-natural-disasters-weather-climate-2022-1849885088/slides/3

/[  This means tidal flooding is amplified by weather  ]/
*Sea level on steroids: Record tides flood Washington coastlines*
JAN 09, 2022
BY Johnryan John Ryan
Some of the highest tides ever recorded hit Seattle and much of the
Washington coast during the first week of January 2022...
- -
Extreme high tides, along with extreme low tides, were expected this
week, though not this high.

The swollen waters known as "king tides" come to Washington every
winter, driven by the relative positions of the earth, moon, and sun.

This week, those extraterrestrial forces combined with low atmospheric
pressure and strong winds to push Puget Sound much higher than forecast.

The powerful influence of air pressure on the sea is sometimes called
the “inverse barometer effect.”

Atmospheric or barometric pressure is the weight of all the air above you.

When the barometer drops, the ocean can expand beyond what tide tables
forecast, much like your pillow rising when you lift your head off it.

Mariners a century ago had a saying: “fog nips the tide,” a slight
misstating of the fact that high-pressure weather systems that often
bring coastal fog also push down the tides.

Washington Sea Grant oceanographer Ian Miller says low-pressure storms
can boost tides in Puget Sound as much as 3 feet.
https://www.kuow.org/stories/record-setting-tides-flood-washington-coastlines

/[ and now for something completely different - entertaining education -
YouTube  15 min]/
*'Confirmation Bias' | Tim Minchin: BACK*
Tim Minchin
407,248 views  Dec 18, 2022  #timminchin #BACK
Here’s a short - arguably funny - lecture from my show ‘Back’. It
discusses among other things the science behind why we are becoming more
divided, and why progressives need to learn that it is improbable that
the path to more empathy will be paved with less empathy.
'Back' details: https://bit.ly/BACK_Digital_DVD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1juPBoxBdc

/[ Major climate events from 2022 - collected by Jeffrey St. Clair ]/
*CounterPunch*
DECEMBER 26, 2022
*Roaming Charges: Hotrails to Hell, the Year in Climate*
BY JEFFREY ST. CLAIR
Starting January 7th 2022 ---- through December 23, 2022
https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/12/26/roaming-charges-hotrails-to-hell-the-year-in-climate/

/[  Discourse built over decades from Michael Dowd - helping us face
reality ]/
*Sanity 101: Living Fully in an Age of Decline (Basic Training)
Essential Wisdom for Hard Times*
thegreatstory
Dec 27, 2022
This 90-min program (four 20-25 minute sections), "Sanity 101: Living
Fully in an Age of Decline (BASIC TRAINING) Essential Wisdom for Hard
Times" gives voice to a decade of research into (1) the unstoppable
nature of denial regarding biospheric and civilizational collapse, and
(2) how we can live fully and contribute meaningfully even in the worst
circumstances.
and in an age of chaos and breakdowns. Even those with no understanding
of the runaway nature of biospheric and civilizational decline feel the
stress. Just to read or watch today’s propaganda, formerly known as “the
news”, is a sobering (or un-sobering!) experience. So... How do we
cope?  How can we stay positive? And, perhaps most importantly, how can
we be of support to others who are confused, angry, depressed, or filled
with fear, blame, or guilt? That's what this "basic training" in living
life fully and loving the life you live even in the worst of times is
all about.
THESIS: The stability of the biosphere has been in decline for centuries
and in runaway (unstoppable) collapse for decades. This “Great
Acceleration” of technology- and market-driven ecocide is an easily
verifiable fact. The scientific evidence is overwhelming. Evidence is
also compelling that the vast majority of people will deny this,
especially those still benefitting from the existing order, those
legitimately concerned about the consequences of collapse, those who
fear that accepting reality means “giving up”. The history of 80+
previous boom and bust societies clearly reveals how and why Homo
colossus (industrial civilization) is in terminal decline and destined
for near-term extinction. Paradoxically, acceptance of collapse and its
inevitable consequences may be the single most important thing any of us
can do to live fully, fearlessly, and inspiringly in this Age of
Decline: at TEOTWAWKI (The-End-Of-The-World-As-We-Know-It).

"CLIFF NOTES" -- 30 minute intro/overview/short version of this
material, for those who are already collapse accepting and/or who have
watched previous videos of mine: https://youtu.be/cLBJjBcSSnY

WEBSITE: https://postdoom.com
RESOURCES: https://postdoom.com/resources/
CONVERSATIONS: https://postdoom.com/conversations/
GALLOWS HUMOR, COPING, DISCUSSIONS: https://postdoom.com/discussions/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDcreVILTE/
/

/[ Read about climate change ]
/*As the Climate Changes, Climate Fiction Is Changing With It*
In four new novels set in the present and future, writers confront the
contradictions of our climate-addled age.
By Kiley Bense
December 17, 2022
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/17122022/warming-trends-climate-fiction/
//

/[The news archive - looking back many of these have links to videos ]/
/*December 31, 2014*/
December 31, 2012: The 11 Dumbest Things Conservative Media Said About
Climate Change in 2014
BY KEVIN KALHOEFER - PUBLISHED 12/30/14
*11. Bill O'Reilly:  “It's Easier To Believe In A Benevolent God, The
Baby Jesus” *Than Manmade Climate Change. On the December 16 edition of
Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor, Bill O'Reilly led a discussion on whether
or not it is easier to believe in the birth story of Jesus than in
manmade climate change, positing that it is “easier to believe in a
benevolent God, the baby Jesus, than it is in some kind of theory about
global warming.” When his guest pointed out that 97 percent of climate
scientists agree that human activities are driving global warming,
O'Reilly baselessly countered, “I wouldn't put it that high. I've read a
lot about it.” He concluded: "[I]t's a choice -- people choose to believe."

*10. Forbes on Fox Panelists: Global Warming Is A “Massive Human
Delusion” *Because The Free Market Disproves It. In a panel discussion
dismissing the science behind climate change on the January 4 edition of
Fox News' Forbes on Fox, panelist John Tamny derided global warming as
“a massive human delusion” and “left-wing hubris at its worst.” Tamny
concluded: “If global warming were real, Solyndra would be booming today
and ExxonMobil would be going out of business ... market signals say
[addressing global warming] is a big, economy-sapping waste of time.”
Disregarding that market economics do not prove or disprove scientific
literature, companies like Solyndra are the exception rather than the
rule, with 98 percent of the businesses in the the Department of
Energy's loan guarantee program -- from which Solyndra received its
loan-- being successful ventures. In addition, a study released by the
Risky Business Project this year on the economic impacts of climate
change showed that failing to address climate change could results in
costs of tens of billions of dollars in coastal property and infrastructure.

*9. Fox's Bolling Denies Existence Of Decades Of Science. On the
February 28 edition of Fox News' *The Five, co-host Eric Bolling
proclaimed: “There's no science to global warming.” But the scientific
basis for manmade climate change stretches back decades, with the first
scientific evidence of the greenhouse effect traced back to the 1800s. A
search in Google scholar for “manmade climate change” produces over
50,000 results. And the overwhelming majority of scientific literature
taking a stance on climate change agrees with the consensus: of nearly
11 thousand scientific papers published in 2013 alone, only two rejected
the notion of manmade global warming. Unfortunately for Bolling, simply
saying something doesn't exist doesn't make it go away.

*8. Fox's Kilmeade Likens Addressing Climate Change To Committing
Treason.* On the June 26 edition of Fox News Radio's Kilmeade & Friends,
host Brian Kilmeade made a stretched analogy between the present and the
“record warm” temperatures that colonists encountered at Jamestown,
noting that warm temperatures did not prevent the colonists from
settling the town. Kilmeade then derided President Obama for discussing
climate change, suggesting he should “wait till [he] get[s] out of
office” to address climate change so he can “attend to” other “crises.”
Kilmeade concluded: “It's almost treason for [Obama] to be focusing” on
climate change.

*7. CNBC's Joe Kernen Compares Climate Science To “Witchcraft” And
“Orwellian Groupthink.” C*NBC co-host Joe Kernenmade his contempt for
climate science very clear this year. On the February 27 edition of
Squawk Box,he likened climate change to “witchcraft,” saying, “In the
Middle Ages, you would attribute adverse weather events to witchcraft.
Now we just have CO2.” In a subsequent edition of Squawk Box, Kerner
also called belief in climate change “Orwellian Groupthink,” adding,
“You know what's going to happen? Pitchforks, and people are going to be
outside of CNBC, I'm not going to argue on what's faith-based... but I
don't want them protesting out in front... because any dissent at this
point is totally not tolerated.”

*6. Fox Guest Predicts We Are Heading Into An “Ice Age.” *On April 14,
Fox host Eric Bolling interviewed David Archibald, who has no scientific
credentials other than a bachelor's degree in geology yet claims to be a
“climate scientist,” to advance his claim of “an impending ice age.” In
the segment, Bolling warned that harsh, cold winters “could be the new
norm,” and Archibald claimed that the globe will enter a “20- to 30-year
cooling period” because the sun is “going to sleep.” Yet Archibald
blaming the solar cycles for global warming has been debunked as solar
cycles and global temperatures have been moving in opposite directions,
and much of the research Archibald conducted to make these assertions
has been criticized as “too erroneous to meet the standards in standard
peer-reviewed journals.”

*5. Sean Hannity Announces That “Nothing” Will Convince Him Global
Warming Is Not A Hoax.* On the January 29 edition of Premiere Radio
Networks' The Sean Hannity Show, Sean Hannity claimed that “climate
change hysteria has been politically motivated” and that scientists have
altered data “so they could make a political point.” His guest brought
up a recent report showing that only one out of of 9,136 scientists that
authored scientific papers published from November 12, 2012, to December
31, 2013, rejected manmade global warming, but Hannity dismissed it
immediately. He asserted: “I don't care what your liberal friends say...
It means nothing to me. I think global warming is a hoax, there's
nothing you're going to say here today that's going to convince me
otherwise.”
*
**4. Fox News Host Ignores Decades Of Arctic Sea Ice Decline To Cast
Doubt On Climate Change. *On his show Cashin' In, host Eric Bolling
attempted to cast doubt on global warming by displaying a graphic
showing an increase in Arctic sea ice from 2012 to 2013, claiming that
the Arctic has seen a “full icecap recovery.” It was an egregious case
of cherry-picking; while Arctic sea ice reached record lows in 2012
which it recovered from slightly in 2013, the ice cap has been in
decline for decades, and is nowhere near recovery. One year's increase
does not negate the long-term trend.

*3. Fox News Cites Birther To Claim NASA “Faked” Global Warming. *On
June 24, Fox & Friends co-host Steve Doocy claimed that 1934 was the
hottest year on record contrary to NASA's current data, “at least until
NASA scientists fudged the numbers to make 1998 the hottest year to
overstate the extent of global warming.” The Fox hosts based their
comments on a blog post -- published under pseudonym Steven Goddard --
by Tony Heller, even though experts and even climate skeptic Anthony
Watts identified fundamental flaws in his analysis. Heller touting
conspiracy theories is nothing new: he previously promoted the myth that
President Obama was born in Kenya.

*2. Eric Bolling: Climate Change Is A Scam To Fund “Vacations Up In The
Antarctic” *And Researchers' “Lifestyles.” In a segment on climate
change on the January 3 edition of Fox News' The Five, host Eric Bolling
said that he did not believe in climate change because if scientists did
not say there was global warming, there would be “no reason for them to
get billions upon billions of dollars to fund their research projects”
and “vacations in the Antarctic.”

*1. CNBC's Climate “Expert”: “Demonization Of Carbon Dioxide Is Just
Like” Demonization Of “Jews Under Hitler.” *CNBC's Squawk Box invited
Princeton professor William Happer to discuss climate change on the July
14 edition of the show, even though he has never written a peer-reviewed
paper on the issue. When co-anchor Andrew Ross Sorkin brought up
Happer's past comments comparing climate science to Nazi propaganda,
Happer defended his analogy, saying, “the demonization of carbon dioxide
is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler; carbon
dioxide is actually a benefit to the world.” Happer is the chairman of
the Marshall Institute, which has received more than $800K from ExxonMobil.

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-hannity/11-dumbest-things-conservative-media-said-about-climate-change-2014

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli