[✔️] December 30, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Dec 30 09:18:13 EST 2022

/*December 30, 2022*/

/[  small list and a video] /
*These lies about climate change just wouldn't die in 2022*
Elizabeth Weise
USA TODAY
Dec 29, 2022

    - - Climate change hasn't always been so polarizing and even today
    relatively few Americans deny global warming is real.
    - - Experts say easily disprovable narratives about the climate
    keeps circulating.
    - - These lies and distortions target renewable energy, economics
    and political polarization.

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news/justthefaqs/2022/12/14/scientists-made-breakthrough-fusion-energy-heres-what-means/10897142002/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/12/29/global-warming-myths-disinformation-and-lies-circulated-2022/10802959002/

/[  Global News - YouTube video 18 mins the New Realit/y ]
*Climate change, Russian aggression make for a perfect storm in Canada’s
north*
Global News
110,772 views  Premiered Nov 12, 2022  #GlobalNews #climatechange
As climate change reshapes our planet, the geopolitical landscape is
also changing.

In Canada’s north, the melting ice has led to a power play for influence
and resources. Russian aggression on the world stage has created new and
urgent attention on the security of Canada’s Arctic.

Earlier this fall, a Canadian navy icebreaker sailed to an area in the
far north for the first time.

For this week’s episode of The New Reality, Jeff Semple spent time on
board as the crew navigated uncharted waters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5GdlEQkOfU

/[ lessons in deception and disinformation classroom study -- YouTube -
lecture - it is rare to have a denialist stand to justify his work ]/
*Scientific Certainties and Uncertainties in our Climate Future - Steven
Koonin and David Romps*
BerkeleyNUC
16,366 views  Sep 7, 2022
Society’s response to the changing climate expresses values and
priorities in balancing factors like risk, development, and equity.
These choices are best informed by scientific understanding. This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieGcx3IXSBY

- -

/[ Koonin is boring and seems to deploy academic confusion. DeSmog
Database of Deniers has a listing for Steve Koonin -- clips below
https://www.desmog.com/steve-koonin/]/
*Steve Koonin*
Credentials
Ph.D., Theoretical Physics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1975).1
B.S., Physics, California Institute of Technology (1972).2
Stance on Climate Change
October 25, 2021

The following is from a a PragerU video titled “Is There Really a
Climate Emergency?” featuring Koonin:12
“Hubris is a Greek word that means dangerously overconfident. Based on
my research, hubris fairly describes our current response to the issue
of climate change.

“Here’s what many people believe:
“One: The planet is warming catastrophically because of certain human
behaviors.

“Two: Thanks to powerful computers we can project what the climate will
be like 20, 40, or even 100 years from now.

“Three: That if we eliminate just one behavior, the burning of fossil
fuels, we can prevent the climate from changing for as long we like.

“Each of these presumptions—together, the basis of our hubris regarding
the changing climate—is either untrue or so far off the mark as to be
useless.

“Yes, it’s true that the globe is warming, and that humans are exerting
a warming influence upon it. But beyond that, to paraphrase a line from
the classic movie The Princess Bride, ‘I do not think “The Science” says
what you think it says.”
September 19, 2014

Koonin wrote an article at The Wall Street Journal titled “Climate
Science Is Not Settled.” Some excerpted quotes below:13
“The idea that ‘Climate science is settled’ runs through today’s popular
and policy discussions. Unfortunately, that claim is misguided. It has
not only distorted our public and policy debates on issues related to
energy, greenhouse-gas emissions and the environment.”
[…]
“The crucial scientific question for policy isn’t whether the climate is
changing. That is a settled matter: The climate has always changed and
always will. […] Nor is the crucial question whether humans are
influencing the climate. That is no hoax: There is little doubt in the
scientific community that continually growing amounts of greenhouse
gases in the atmosphere, due largely to carbon-dioxide emissions from
the conventional use of fossil fuels, are influencing the climate. There
is also little doubt that the carbon dioxide will persist in the
atmosphere for several centuries. The impact today of human activity
appears to be comparable to the intrinsic, natural variability of the
climate system itself.

“Rather, the crucial, unsettled scientific question for policy is, ‘How
will the climate change over the next century under both natural and
human influences?’”
[…]
“Even though human influences could have serious consequences for the
climate, they are physically small in relation to the climate system as
a whole.”
[…]
“We often hear that there is a ‘scientific consensus’ about climate
change. But as far as the computer models go, there isn’t a useful
consensus at the level of detail relevant to assessing human influences.”
[…]
“Policy makers and the public may wish for the comfort of certainty in
their climate science. But I fear that rigidly promulgating the idea
that climate science is “settled” (or is a “hoax”) demeans and chills
the scientific enterprise, retarding its progress in these important
matters.”

*Key Quotes*
April 20, 2017

“The outcome of a Red/Blue exercise for climate science is not
preordained, which makes such a process all the more valuable. It could
reveal the current consensus as weaker than claimed. Alternatively, the
consensus could emerge strengthened if Red Team criticisms were
countered effectively. But whatever the outcome, we scientists would
have better fulfilled our responsibilities to society, and climate
policy discussions would be better informed,” Koonin wrote in the Wall
Street Journal.

*Key Actions*
February 11, 2022
Koonin appeared on The Joe Rogan Experience where he argued “that the
data show that the climate is changing, that it is man-made, and that it
is happening slowly enough that we have time to adapt to the changes. He
says that policy makers, the media, and scientists need to examine the
data honestly and stop the alarmism,” according to the American
Enterprise Institute‘s description of the podcast.15
October 25, 2021
- -
Koonin was featured in a PragerU video titled “Is There Really a Climate
Emergency?” where he claimed it is “hubris” and “either untrue or so far
off the mark as to be useless” that “the planet is warming
catastrophically because of certain human behaviors,” that we can
project climate change from models, or that we can prevent the climate
from changing.16
Transcript below:
[...]

“For example, government reports state clearly that heat waves in the US
are now no more common than they were in 1900.
- -
“Hurricane activity is no different than it was a century ago.
- -
“Floods have not increased across the globe over more than seventy years.
- -
“Greenland’s ice sheet isn’t shrinking any more rapidly today than it
was 80 years ago.
- -
“Why aren’t these reassuring facts better known?
- -
“Because the public gets its climate information almost exclusively from
the media.
- -
“And from a media perspective, fear sells.
- -
“‘Things aren’t that bad’ doesn’t sell.
- -
“Very few people, and that includes journalists who report on climate
news, read the actual science. I have. And what the data—the hard
science—from the US government and UN Climate reports say is that…
‘things aren’t that bad.’
  - -
“Nor does the public understand the questionable basis of all
catastrophic climate change projections: computer modeling.
- -
“Projecting future climate is excruciatingly difficult. Yes, there are
human influences, but the climate is complex. Anyone who says that
climate models are “just physics” either doesn’t understand them or is
being deliberately misleading. I should know: I wrote one of the first
textbooks on computer modeling.
- -
“While modelers base their assumptions upon both fundamental physical
laws and observations of the climate, there is still considerable
judgment involved. And since different modelers will make different
assumptions, results vary widely among different models.
- -
“Let’s just take one simple, but significant assumption modelers must
make: the impact of clouds on the climate.
- -
“Natural fluctuations in the height and coverage of clouds have at least
as much of an impact on the flows of sunlight and heat as do human
influences. But how can we possibly know global cloud coverage say 10,
let alone 50 years from now? Obviously, we can’t. But to create a
climate model, we have to make assumptions. That’s a pretty shaky
foundation on which to transform the world’s economy.
- -
“By the way, creating more accurate models isn’t getting any easier. In
fact, the more we learn about the climate system, the more we realize
how complex it is.
- -
“Rather than admit this complexity, the media, the politicians, and a
good portion of the climate science community attribute every terrible
storm, every flood, every major fire to ‘climate change.’ Yes, we’ve
always had these weather events in the past, the narrative goes, but
somehow ‘climate change’ is making everything ‘worse.’
- -
“Even if that were true, isn’t the relevant question, how much worse?
Not to mention that ‘worse’ is not exactly a scientific term.
- -
“And how would we make it better?
“For the alarmists, that’s easy: we get rid of fossil fuels.
- -
“Not only is this impractical—we get over 80% of the world’s energy from
fossil fuels—it’s not scientifically possible. That’s because CO2
doesn’t disappear from the atmosphere in a few days like, say, smog. It
hangs around for a really long time.
- -
“About 60 percent of any CO2 that we emit today will remain in the
atmosphere 20 years from now, between 30 and 55 percent will still be
there after a century, and between 15 and 30 percent will remain after
one thousand years.
- -
“In other words, it takes centuries for the excess carbon dioxide to
vanish from the atmosphere. So, any partial reductions in CO2 emissions
would only slow the increase in human influences—not prevent it, let
alone reverse it.
- -
“CO2 is not a knob that we can just turn down to fix everything. We
don’t have that ability. To think that we do is… hubris.
- -
“Hubris leads to bad decisions.

“A little humility and a little knowledge would lead to better ones.

“I’m Steve Koonin, former Undersecretary for Science in the Obama
Administration, and author of Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us,
What It Doesn’t, and Why It Matters, for Prager University.”
During the interview, Koonin claimed climate science is distorted by the
time in reaches the public.

Steve Koonin: [00:03:56] What the public sees is that the end of a long
game of telephone that starts with that information, but goes through
the assessment reports to the summaries for policymakers in those
reports and then on to the media and ultimately to the politicians and
other people talking to the public. And there’s so many opportunities
and motives to distort what the real science says that that’s why the
public dialog often reminds me of what you hear in The Princess Bride,
where one character says, you know, you keep using that word, but I
don’t think it means what you think it means. [00:04:34]

On severe weather events, Koonin claimed looking at the records showed
there is no human influence:

Steve Koonin: [00:10:25] You can do the same sort of thing for record
high temperatures in the U.S., which are not increasing over the U.S. as
a whole. You can do the same for hurricanes. And that’s one that really
surprises people. The official reports say there are no human influence.
I’m sorry. The right way to say is that there are no detectable long
term trends in almost all hurricane properties. [00:10:51]

Koonin claimed variations in sea ice are not caused by man:

Steve Koonin: [00:12:31] On the other hand, as I mentioned in the book
and you quoted when you look at the rate at which Greenland is losing
ice, it’s highly variable and it was high in the 30s and then it was
going and then it was high again, even as the globe was warming
steadily. So there’s very likely a large natural variability in the ice
sheets. And you’ve got to take that into account as a scientist, if
you’re going to say it’s humans that are causing the recent melting.
[00:13:07]

Steve Koonin: [00:13:25] The other thing to say is that if the ice
started to melt, all expectations are it would be quite gradual and we
would have plenty of time, even according to the IPCC reports. [00:13:39]

*He criticized the IPCC’s analysis of sea level rise:*

    Steve Koonin: [00:16:30] The important thing to understand about sea
    level is not that it’s rising. It’s been doing that for 15000 years.
    The real question is whether it’s rising more rapidly in recent
    decades because of human influence as opposed to its natural rate.
    And the IPCC, while it talks about how the rate in the last few
    decades is a lot greater than the average in the 20th century and so
    on, they entirely do not mention, let alone show, a graph showing
    you that around 1940 it was rising almost as rapidly as it is today,
    and then it went through a minimum and now is rising rapidly. Again,
    I would say I fail the student if they did that, because that is not
    at all an honest presentation of the data and they get away with it.
    [00:17:23]

*Koonin further questioned interpretations of the recent IPCC reports:*
Steve Koonin: [00:21:01] So by and large, you see these kind of
apocalyptic predictions or statements coming from non-scientists, you
know, with the release of the recent U.N. report, Guterres said code red
for Humanity. But if you actually read the report, it doesn’t say that
at all. And so these are people who are making a gloss on science that
they don’t understand in order to again persuade or motivate people.
[00:21:31]
- -
Steve Koonin: [00:21:32] When you read more deeply in the reports, as
opposed to people who are trying to interpret the reports, you also
discover that you know there’s a lot of fudging going on. […] [00:21:44]
- -
Steve Koonin: [00:22:13] The world has more than enough food right now,
and you can bet that we will be able to adapt just fine as the climate
changes slowly. […]The same is true of deaths. People make outrageous
projections using extreme emissions scenarios and very sensitive models,
and then just report the a little bit in the media. [00:22:42]
- -
Later quoting H.L. Mencken, Koonin lists immigration, vaccination, and
climate among “an endless series of hobgoblins” to “keep the populace
alarmed”:
- -
Steve Koonin: [00:24:21] I’ll read the quote. “The whole aim of
practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and hence cameras to
be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins,
most of them imaginary.” And you see this played out. Not only was
climate poor here in the US with immigration, with vaccination. You can
go on whatever the issue of the day is. [00:24:48]
- -
Steve Koonin: [00:24:49] And you know, politicians need to motivate
people and the strongest motivator is fear. Probably the next is greed
after that and then may be lost, but the politicians don’t get involved
with that last one. And so, you know, it’s natural for the politicians
to do that. And climate is such a great motivator because it’s diffuse.
It’s out there in the future. And to the extent that it involves energy,
it touches just about everything that society does. So how could you
resist, right? What disappoints me most are the scientists who know
better, who remain silent while the issue is exaggerated and played up
for fear. [00:25:36]
- -
*Koonin suggested climate science has been “corrupted” by activists:*
Steve Koonin: [00:30:47] I really think that the climate scene has been
corrupted by some scientists. You know, in fact, a small minority who
have shifted over to an activist mode and are doing activism under the
mantle of science. [00:31:06]

*Koonin described the idea of Net Zero as “immoral” for the developing
world:*
Steve Koonin: [00:33:39] If the world were to go to net zero by 2050 is
being allocated by many politicians in the UK, the US and more broadly.
Nobody ever answers the question of how are we going to get adequate
energy to the three billion people who do not have adequate energy in
the developing world? They need that energy to develop who is going to
provide that? If you can’t do coal and gas because those are the most
inexpensive and convenient ways of getting them the energy right now.
And until you answer that question, advocating for net zero is frankly
immoral, in my view. [00:34:21]

He later expanded on this:
Steve Koonin: [00:35:31] Eco imperialism is a term I’ve heard people use
for that. And again, I think it’s immoral, [00:35:38][6.5]

Koonin added his views changed when working with BP:
Steve Koonin: [00:36:08] I did not have the kind of global understanding
I have now until I got into a big international company like BP. [00:36:17]

October 1, 2021
Koonin joined the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) as a nonresident
senior fellow “focusing on climate science and energy policy studies.”18
19...
- - clips -- more at DeSmog listing
https://www.desmog.com/steve-koonin/

/[The news archive - looking back at past deceptions ]/
/*December 30, 2015*/
December 30, 2015:

In a Washington Post op-ed, Martin Luther King III observes:

"For months now, the National Black Chamber of Commerce has been
warning communities of color that the Obama administration’s Clean
Power Plan will cause job losses and generate higher energy bills.

"In fact, the opposite is true.

"The Environmental Protection Agency’s first-ever limits on carbon
pollution from power plants will create clean- energy jobs, improve
public health, bring greater reliability to our electric power grid,
bolster our national security, demonstrate the United States’ resolve
to combat climate change and maybe even reduce our utility bills.

"By limiting the emission of carbon dioxide, the Clean Power Plan also
will slow a main driver of extreme weather, which has inflicted
widespread economic damage and human misery, including death.

"That’s what the National Black Chamber of Commerce neglects to mention.

"Why? As it turns out, the money behind the chamber’s campaign comes
from polluters who stand to gain if the Clean Power Plan is blocked.
According to The Post, the chamber received more than $800,000 over
the past decade from ExxonMobil, and among the sponsors of the group’s
national conference in August were other companies that oppose strong
action to combat climate change."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-the-polluter-backed-national-black-chamber-misleads-minorities/2015/12/29/12b1ac3e-ae2f-11e5-b820-eea4d64be2a1_story.html?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-e%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli