[✔️] February 3, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Feb 3 08:31:51 EST 2022

/*February 3, 2022*/

/[ The World Isn't Ready for Climate-Change-Driven Inflation - says The
Atlantic ]/
*The Rise of Greenflation*
Extreme weather and energy uncertainty are already sending prices soaring.
By Robinson Meyer
- -
Imagine, now, that the kingdom’s outlying farms were destroyed by a
dragon: The price of food would increase inside the castle walls, but it
would be the dragon’s fault, not the royal mint’s. And the solution
would be neither to raise taxes nor to slow the minting of coins from
the king’s mines. In fact, if the king tried to claw back coins, then he
could prolong the crisis: The townspeople would still use their meager
earnings to bid up the price of food, but they would have less money to
do it with, so everyone would be poorer and hungry. The king would
instead need to import more grain, or ration out supplies, or plant more
farms (hopefully in dragon-proof regions).

Though it might sound silly, the modern global economy is closer to that
fabled realm than we might think: Yes, container ships and jumbo jets
connect far-flung farms and factories to consumers, which has permitted
a planetary smoothing out of prices. But ultimately globalization has
stretched the castle walls as far as they can go, and the realm remains
dependent on certain key and vulnerable places. A single woodland
province furnishes timber for most American homes; a single highland
country grows nearly half of the world’s magic beans; a single foundry
on a distant island makes most of the thinking rocks that go inside
American phones. Yet if something were to happen to the supply of goods
from those places, we always have the same answer: The royal mint can
fix it.

In truth, some combination of the two fairy tales now besets the
American economy. The king probably threw too many free coins out the
window last year, and some of our outlying lands are dragon-scarred. Yet
if the climate scars on supply continue to grow, does the Federal
Reserve have the right tools to manage? Stinson Dean, the lumber trader,
is doubtful. “Raising interest rates will blunt demand for housing—no
doubt. But if you blunt demand enough to bring lumber prices down,
you’re destroying the economy,” Dean told me. “For us to have lower
lumber prices, we can only build a million homes a year. Do you really
want to do that?

“Raising rates,” he said, “doesn’t grow more trees.” Nor does it grow
more coffee, end a drought, or bring certainty to the energy transition.
And if our new era of climate-driven inflation takes hold, America will
need more than higher interest rates to bring balance to supply and demand.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/02/greenflation-prices-inflation-climate-change-coffee-lumber/621456/

/[ door closed, only forward now ]/
*ENVIRONMENTAL CATASTROPHE PASSED “POINT OF NO RETURN” EIGHT YEARS AGO,
SCIENTISTS SAY*
"EXTREME CLIMATE CHANGE IS HERE, IT’S IN THE OCEAN, AND THE OCEAN
UNDERPINS ALL LIFE ON EARTH."
Point of No Return
Climate researchers are that warning extreme heat in the Earth’s oceans
has passed the “point of no return” back in 2014, The Guardian reports.

It’s damning new evidence that underlines our path towards climate
catastrophe — or, rather, that we’re already living in one.

“By using this measure of extremes, we’ve shown that climate change is
not something that is uncertain and may happen in the distant future —
it’s something that is a historical fact and has occurred already,” Kyle
Van Houtan, researcher at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and co-author of a
new study about the findings published in the journal PLOS Climate, told
The Guardian.

“Extreme climate change is here, it’s in the ocean, and the ocean
underpins all life on Earth,” he warned.

Extreme Heat
Van Houtan and his colleagues looked at temperature data recorded from
1920 to 2019. By 2015, temperatures had surpassed their 50-year record
high, in what the researchers are calling the “point of no return.”

“For the global ocean, 2014 was the first year to exceed the 50 percent
threshold of extreme heat thereby becoming ‘normal,’ with the South
Atlantic (1998) and Indian (2007) basins crossing this barrier earlier,”
the researchers write in the paper.

And 1998 “was 24 years ago — that is astounding,” Van Houtan told The
Guardian.

The first wildlife to really feel the pressure are species like lobster
and scallops in the areas off the northeast coast of the US and Canada.
In fact, 14 fisheries in Alaska alone have already declared federal
disasters.

The research paints a devastating picture, and should serve as a warning
of what’s still to come.

“Oceans are critical to understanding climate change,” University of St
Thomas professor John Abraham told the newspaper. “They cover about 70
percent of the planet’s surface and absorb more than 90 percent of
global warming heat.”
https://futurism.com/the-byte/environmental-catastrophe-point-no-return

/[ just present the information  ]/
*Revealed: The 11 slides that finally convinced Boris Johnson about
global warming*
A scientific briefing that UK prime minister Boris Johnson says changed
his mind about global warming has been made public for the first time,
following a freedom-of-information (FOI) request by Carbon Brief.

Last year, on the eve of the UK hosting COP26 in Glasgow, Johnson
described tackling climate change as the country’s “number one
international priority”. He also published a net-zero strategy and told
other countries at the UN General Assembly to “grow up” when it comes to
global warming.

However, just a few years earlier, Johnson was publicly doubting
established climate science. For example, in a Daily Telegraph column
published in 2015 he claimed unusual winter heat had “nothing to do with
global warming”. And, in 2013, he said he had an “open mind” to the idea
that the Earth was heading for a mini ice-age.

Last year, acknowledging his past climate scepticism, Johnson told
journalists that he had now changed his mind, largely due to a
scientific briefing he received shortly after becoming prime minister in
2019.

Johnson admitted he had been on a “road to Damascus” when it comes to
climate science:

“I got them [government scientists] to run through it all and, if you
look at the almost vertical kink upward in the temperature graph, the
anthropogenic climate change, it’s very hard to dispute. That was a very
important moment for me.”

The Sunday Times later reported that this briefing had been given by Sir
Patrick Vallance, the government’s chief scientific advisor, and,
according to one of the prime minister’s close allies, it “had a huge
impact”...
- -
(Carbon Brief has learned that Boris Johnson received at least one
further science briefing on climate change following this January 2020
presentation. In March 2021, for example, he was specifically briefed
about, among other topics, the projected climate impacts at 2C and 4C of
global warming. The information about these impacts was prepared by Prof
Richard Betts from the Met Office and the University of Exeter using
findings from the EU-funded HELIX project. Prof Betts also provided UK
examples from the Technical Report of the Third UK Climate Change Risk
Assessment, often known as CCRA3. Carbon Brief also understands that,
even though Sir Patrick Vallance led the briefing at No 10 Downing
Street on 28 January 2020, the 11 slides themselves were presented by
Prof Belcher.)
https://www.carbonbrief.org/revealed-the-11-slides-that-finally-convinced-boris-johnson-about-global-warming

/[  World Economic Forum says ] /
*Global Risks 2022: The 'disorderly' net-zero transition is here and
it’s time to embrace it*
This article is part of the The Davos Agenda

    -- This year’s Global Risks Report highlights fears of a disorderly
    net-zero transition.

    -- But the net-zero transition still represents the best and only
    chance of achieving the climate goals.

    -- We must not let the risks of a disorderly transition become an
    excuse for slowing the journey to net-zero. Instead, we should grasp
    the opportunities that this change will create.

The 2022 Global Risks Report has “climate action failure” as the number
one risk over the coming decade. The most documented risks associated
with climate action failure are physical risks, such as an increase in
the frequency and severity of severe weather.

Undoubtedly the climate crisis is the biggest long-term threat facing
humanity.

But the risks linked to the transition to a net-zero future are getting
more attention. A disorderly transition would exacerbate these risks,
impacting the ability for organizations to conduct business, causing
economic volatility and destabilizing the financial system...
- -
https://assets.weforum.org/editor/responsive_large_webp_gs1ztJhJIkw2rVRwjXW5HLl7fWPXVCVOUmecIBiX_eY.webp
- -
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/01/global-risks-2022-disorderly-net-zero-transition

/[  big interactive explanation -- scroll through screens and check
audio to listen to a reading ]/
*Probable Futures */
/For decades, scientists have accurately predicted how Earth’s
temperature would respond to carbon emissions. They warned of rising
temperatures, more frequent extreme weather, and the possibility of
entering an unpredictable—or even unstable—climate. This looming
forecast had a simple, though not easy, solution: Reduce the amount of
greenhouse gases we emit into the atmosphere.

Our efforts to reduce emissions haven’t matched the urgency of this
forecast, and the impacts of global warming are already here. Earth’s
temperature continues to rise and will likely reach 1.5°C above the
pre-industrial climate by 2030. Unless we reduce emissions drastically,
it will be 3°C around mid-century.

Probable Futures was founded in 2020 by a group of concerned leaders and
citizens who started asking climate scientists direct, practical
questions about what climate change would be like in different places
around the world:

What does the world look like at 1.5°C of warming? What will it feel
like? At 2°C? 3°C?

Do these different levels of warming mean radically different outcomes
for society?

Could we communicate the consequences of each increment of warming so
vividly that everyone—from parents and teachers to poets and CEOs—can
better understand, prepare for, and address what is coming?

These conversations led to a collaboration with the renowned team of
climate scientists at the Woodwell Climate Research Center. Together, we
leveraged well-established climate models to produce maps depicting
temperature, precipitation, drought, and other phenomena, around the
world and at different increments of global warming.

With these maps, climate change was no longer an abstraction. The
results were stark, even for those who had been studying climate change
for decades. The consequences became real and personal. We found these
portrayals of the future to be useful, intuitive, and profound. We
wanted to share them with others, so we set out to share these maps with
the world and translate them into practical tools, stories, and
resources available online to everyone, everywhere.

Founder Spencer Glendon chose the name Probable Futures, inspired by the
idea that we could all have an understanding of the basics of climate
science and then envision the future in ways that would positively
affect how we think, feel, act, and relate to others. The plural Futures
conveys the existence of a range of future outcomes, while Probable
indicates that this range should be used as a guide: Some futures have
zero probability, others are likely, and still others have low
probabilities but would be so catastrophic that ignoring them would be
grossly negligent. His vision for Probable Futures was that we could be
frank about the range of outcomes we face and also encouraging to anyone
who wants to participate in creating the future we and our successors
will live in./
/https://probablefutures.org/

/[ oops.  Darn. //oopsie.//]/
*Extreme heat in oceans ‘passed point of no return’ in 2014*
Formerly rare high temperatures now covering half of seas and
devastating wildlife, study shows
Extreme heat in the world’s oceans passed the “point of no return” in
2014 and has become the new normal, according to research.

Scientists analysed sea surface temperatures over the last 150 years,
which have risen because of global heating. They found that extreme
temperatures occurring just 2% of the time a century ago have occurred
at least 50% of the time across the global ocean since 2014.

In some hotspots, extreme temperatures occur 90% of the time, severely
affecting wildlife. More than 90% of the heat trapped by greenhouse
gases is absorbed by the ocean, which plays a critical role in
maintaining a stable climate.

“By using this measure of extremes, we’ve shown that climate change is
not something that is uncertain and may happen in the distant future –
it’s something that is a historical fact and has occurred already,” said
Kyle Van Houtan, at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, US, and one of the
research team. “Extreme climate change is here, it’s in the ocean, and
the ocean underpins all life on Earth.”...
- -
The heat content of the top 2,000 metres of the ocean set a new record
in 2021, the sixth in a row. Prof John Abraham at the University of St
Thomas in Minnesota, one of the team behind the assessment, said ocean
heat content was the most relevant to global climate, while surface
temperatures were most relevant to weather patterns, as well as many
ecosystems.

“Oceans are critical to understanding climate change. They cover about
70% of the planet’s surface and absorb more than 90% of global warming
heat,” Abraham said. “The new study is helpful because the researchers
look at the surface temperatures. It finds there has been a big increase
in extreme heat at the ocean’s surface and that the extremes are
increasing over time.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/feb/01/extreme-heat-oceans-passed-point-of-no-return-high-temperatures-wildlife-seas

- -

[Plos Climate journal ]
*The recent normalization of historical marine heat extremes*
Kisei R. Tanaka ,Kyle S. Van Houtan
Published: February 1, 2022
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pclm.0000007
*Abstract*

    Climate change exposes marine ecosystems to extreme conditions with
    increasing frequency. Capitalizing on the global reconstruction of
    sea surface temperature (SST) records from 1870-present, we present
    a centennial-scale index of extreme marine heat within a coherent
    and comparable statistical framework. A spatially (1° × 1°) and
    temporally (monthly) resolved index of the normalized historical
    extreme marine heat events was expressed as a fraction of a year
    that exceeds a locally determined, monthly varying 98th percentile
    of SST gradients derived from the first 50 years of climatological
    records (1870–1919). For the year 2019, our index reports that 57%
    of the global ocean surface recorded extreme heat, which was
    comparatively rare (approximately 2%) during the period of the
    second industrial revolution. Significant increases in the extent of
    extreme marine events over the past century resulted in many local
    climates to have shifted out of their historical SST bounds across
    many economically and ecologically important marine regions. For the
    global ocean, 2014 was the first year to exceed the 50% threshold of
    extreme heat thereby becoming “normal”, with the South Atlantic
    (1998) and Indian (2007) basins crossing this barrier earlier. By
    focusing on heat extremes, we provide an alternative framework that
    may help better contextualize the dramatic changes currently
    occurring in marine systems.

https://journals.plos.org/climate/article?id=10.1371/journal.pclm.0000007

/[The news archive - looking back - cough, cough ]/
*On this day in the history of global warming February 3, 2016*

February 3, 2016:

The Los Angeles Times reports:

"Southern California Gas Co. on Tuesday was charged with failing to
immediately notify state authorities about the natural gas leak in Aliso
Canyon.

"L.A. County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey filed four misdemeanor criminal
charges against the gas company, accusing it of releasing air
contaminants and neglecting to report the release of hazardous materials
until three days after the leak began Oct. 23."

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-attorney-general-lawsuit-aliso-canyon-leak-20160202-story.html