[✔️] February 4, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Fri Feb 4 09:51:58 EST 2022

/*February 4 , 2022*/

[ 3:49 audio report ]
*Medical schools add climate change into curriculum*
February 03, 2022
Emily Jones, WABE
Climate change affects health in many ways. At the urging of some
medical students, some medical schools have started to teach future
doctors about the health impacts of a warming planet.
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2022/02/03/medical-schools-climate-change

/[ academic paper  ]/
*Young People's Voices on Climate Anxiety, Government Betrayal and Moral
Injury: A Global Phenomenon*
Elizabeth Marks  University of Bath
Caroline Hickman - University of Bath
Panu Pihkala - University of Helsinki
Susan Clayton - College of Wooster
Eric R. Lewandowski - New York University (NYU) - Langone Health Center
Elouise E. Mayall - University of East Anglia (UEA)
Britt Wray - Stanford University
Catriona Mellor - Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
Lise van Susteren - Independent

Abstract

    Background: Climate change has significant implications for the
    health and futures of children and young people, yet they have
    little power to limit its harm, making them vulnerable to increased
    climate anxiety. Qualitative studies show climate anxiety is
    associated with perceptions of inadequate action by adults and
    governments, feelings of betrayal, abandonment and moral injury.
    This study offers the first large-scale investigation of climate
    anxiety in children and young people globally and its relationship
    to government response.

Methods: We surveyed 10,000 young people (aged 16-25 years) in ten
countries. Data were collected on their thoughts and feelings about
climate change, and government response.

    Significant levels of climate-related distress are reported
    globally, with children and young people
    particularly vulnerable.15 A recent review found that children of
    present and future generations will bear
    an unacceptably high disease burden from climate change.

Findings: Respondents were worried about climate change (59% very or
extremely worried, 84% at least moderately worried). Over 50% felt sad,
anxious, angry, powerless, helpless, and guilty. Over 45% said their
feelings about climate change negatively affected their daily life and
functioning, and many reported a high number of negative thoughts about
climate change. Respondents rated the governmental response to climate
change negatively and reported greater feelings of betrayal than of
reassurance. Correlations indicated that climate anxiety and distress
were significantly related to perceived inadequate government response
and associated feelings of betrayal.

    The psychological stress of climate change is also grounded in
    relational factors; studies among children
    have demonstrated that they experience an additional layer of
    confusion, betrayal, and abandonment
    because of adult inaction towards climate change.

Interpretation: Climate change and inadequate governmental responses are
associated with climate anxiety and distress in many children and young
people globally. These psychological stressors threaten health and
wellbeing, and could be construed as morally injurious and unjust. There
is an urgent need for increases in both research and government
responsiveness.
Suggested Citation:
Marks, Elizabeth and Hickman, Caroline and Pihkala, Panu and Clayton,
Susan and Lewandowski, Eric R. and Mayall, Elouise E. and Wray, Britt
and Mellor, Catriona and van Susteren, Lise, Young People's Voices on
Climate Anxiety, Government Betrayal and Moral Injury: A Global
Phenomenon. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3918955 or
http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3918955
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3918955

/[ clips from NYTimes  -- culture helps understand global warming ]/
*Apocalypse When? Global Warming’s Endless Scroll*
 From “Don’t Look Up” to Greta Thunberg videos to doomsaying memes, we
are awash in warnings that we are almost out of time. But the climate
crisis is outpacing our emotional capacity to describe it.
By Amanda Hess - Feb. 3, 2022
I can’t say precisely when the end began, just that in the past several
years, “the end of the world” stopped referring to a future cataclysmic
event and started to describe our present situation. Across the ironized
hellscape of the internet, we began “tweeting through the apocalypse”
and blogging the Golden Globes ceremony “during the end times” and
streaming “Emily in Paris” “at the end of the world.” Often the features
of our dystopia are itemized, as if we are briskly touring the
concentric circles of hell — rising inequality, declining democracy,
unending pandemic, the financial system optimistically described as
“late” capitalism — until we have reached the inferno’s toasty center,
which is the destruction of the Earth through man-made global warming...
- -
Ours is a banal sort of apocalypse. Even as it is described as
frightfully close, it is held at a cynical distance. That is not to say
that the rhetoric signals a lack of concern about climate change. But
global warming represents the collapse of such complex systems at such
an extreme scale that it overrides our emotional capacity. This creates
its own perverse flavor of climate denial: We acknowledge the science
but do not truly accept it, at least not enough to urgently act. This
paralysis itself is almost too horrible to contemplate. As global
warming cooks the Earth, it melts our brains, fries our nerves and
explodes the narratives that we like to tell about humankind — even the
apocalyptic ones...
- -
Global warming is what the ecophilosopher Timothy Morton calls a
hyperobject, a concept that is too large to be adequately comprehended
by human beings. (McKay’s production company is called Hyperobject
Industries.) Its scale is not just world-historical but geological, and
though it is already very bad, it will only fulfill its catastrophic
potential many lifetimes from now. Its effects are distributed
unequally; what I experience as an ambient stressor may cause strangers
to suffer or die. Global warming suggests that humans are powerful
enough to destroy the world but too weak to stop it. Though we are
driven toward world-changing innovation, we are inflexible, fearful of
abandoning the destructive comforts we once saw as progress — our cars,
our meats, our free next-day deliveries...
- -
We may not fully comprehend global warming, but we can feel it, and not
just in the weather. A whole lexicon has arisen to attempt to describe
its psychological impact: climate nihilism, climate grief, climate
melancholia, eco-anxiety, pre-traumatic stress. A global survey of young
people, released last year, found that more than half of respondents
between the ages of 16 and 25 “felt sad, anxious, angry, powerless,
helpless, and guilty” about it, and believed “humanity is doomed.”...
- -
We are getting accustomed to the idea that global warming feels bad, and
this provides its own sense of comfort, as if our psychological distress
proves that we are taking the problem seriously. “Civilians love to
panic,” says an epidemiologist in Hanya Yanagihara’s novel “To
Paradise,” which is partially set in an unbearably hot, totalitarian
future Manhattan ruled by blinkered scientists. “Survival allows for
hope — it is, indeed, predicated on hope — but it does not allow for
pleasure, and as a topic, it is dull.” In our response to global
warming, we resemble the frog who does not hop from the heating water
until it’s too late. Except we are aware that the water is boiling; we
just can’t imagine leaving our tumultuous little pot.

Perhaps one of the many creature comforts we must abandon to address
global warming is the anesthetizing stream of global warming content
itself. As David Wallace-Wells writes in his 2019 book “The
Uninhabitable Earth,” climate-themed disaster films do not necessarily
represent progress, as “we are displacing our anxieties about global
warming by restaging them in theaters of our own design and control.”
Even YouTube videos of climate conferences can slip into this role. As
we frame an activist like Thunberg as a kind of celebrity oracle, we
transfer our own responsibilities onto a teenager with a preternatural
command of dismal statistics. We once said that we would stop climate
change for the benefit of our children, but now we can tell ourselves
that our children will take care of it for us.

The internet is often criticized for feeding us useless information, and
for spreading disinformation, but it can enable a destructive
relationship with serious information, too. If you’re a person who
accepts the science, how much more do you really need to hear? The
casual doomsaying of social media is so seductive: It helps us signal
that we care about big problems even as we chase distractions, and it
gives us a silly little tone for voicing our despair.

Most of all, it displaces us in time. We are always mentally skipping
between a nostalgic landscape, where we have plenty of energy to waste
on the internet, and an apocalyptic one, where it’s too late to do
anything. It’s the center, where we live, that we can’t bear to
envision. After all, denial is the first stage of grief.

Amanda Hess is a critic at large for the New York Times.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/03/arts/climate-change-doomsday-culture.html

/[  bringing back the ghost of  "Joe Camel" ]/
*Kids are falling victim to disinformation and conspiracy theories.
What’s the best way to fix that?*
Although children are prime targets, educators cannot figure out how
best to teach them to separate fact from fiction. By Melinda Wenner Moyer.
By MELINDA WENNER MOYER - Feb. 3, 2022
When Amanda Gardner, an educator with two decades of experience, helped
to start a new charter elementary and middle school outside of Seattle
last year, she did not anticipate teaching students who denied that the
Holocaust happened, argued that Covid is a hoax and told their teacher
that the 2020 presidential election was rigged. Yet some children
insisted that these conspiracy theories were true. Both misinformation,
which includes honest mistakes, and disinformation, which involves an
intention to mislead, have had “a growing impact on students over the
past 10 to 20 years,” Gardner says, yet many schools do not focus on the
issue. “Most high schools probably do some teaching to prevent
plagiarism, but I think that’s about it.”

Children, it turns out, are ripe targets for fake news. Age 14 is when
kids often start believing in unproven conspiratorial ideas, according
to a 2021 study in the British Journal of Developmental Psychology. Many
teens also have trouble assessing the credibility of online information.
In a 2016 study involving nearly 8,000 U.S. students, Stanford
University researchers found that less than 20 percent of high schoolers
seriously questioned spurious claims in social media, such as a Facebook
post that said images of strange-looking flowers, supposedly near the
site of a nuclear power plant accident in Japan, proved that dangerous
radiation levels persisted in the area.

Disinformation campaigns often directly go after young users, steering
them toward misleading content. A 2018 Wall Street Journal investigation
found that YouTube’s recommendation algorithm, which offers personalized
suggestions about what users should watch next, is skewed to recommend
videos that are more extreme and far-fetched than what the viewer
started with. For instance, when researchers searched for videos using
the phrase “lunar eclipse,” they were steered to a video suggesting that
Earth is flat.

One tool that schools can use to deal with this problem is called media
literacy education. The idea is to teach kids how to evaluate and think
critically about the messages they receive and to recognize falsehoods
masquerading as truth. For many children, school is the one place where
they can be taught skills to evaluate such claims objectively.

Yet few American kids are receiving this instruction. Last summer,
Illinois became the first U.S. state to require all high school students
to take a media literacy class. Thirteen other states have laws that
touch on media literacy, but requirements vary widely. A growing number
of students are being taught some form of media literacy in college, but
that is “way, way too late to begin this kind of instruction,” says
Howard Schneider, executive director of the Center for News Literacy at
Stony Brook University. When he began teaching college students years
ago, he found that “they came with tremendous deficits, and they were
already falling into very bad habits.”

Even if more students took such classes, there is profound disagreement
about what those courses should teach. Certain curricula try to train
students to give more weight to journalistic sources, but some
researchers argue that this practice ignores the potential biases of
publications and reporters. Other courses push students to identify
where information comes from and ask how the content helps those
disseminating it.

Most media literacy approaches “begin to look thin when you ask, ‘Can
you show me the evidence?’” says Sam Wineburg, a professor of education
at Stanford University, who runs the Stanford History Education Group.
The approaches in use have not been compared head-to-head, and some have
only small studies supporting them. Like online media sources
themselves, it is hard to know which ones to trust.

Some programs, such as Schneider’s Stony Brook program, teach students
to discern the quality of the information in part by learning how
responsible journalism works. They study how journalists pursue news,
how to distinguish between different kinds of information and how to
judge evidence behind reported stories. The goal, Schneider wrote in a
2007 article for Nieman Reports, is to shape students into “consumers
who could differentiate between raw, unmediated information coursing
through the Internet and independent, verified journalism.”

Other approaches teach students methods for evaluating the credibility
of news and information sources, in part by determining the goals and
incentives of those sources. They teach students to ask: Who created the
content and why? And what do other sources say? But these methods are
relatively new and have not been widely studied.

The lack of rigorous studies of the different approaches is indeed a
major roadblock, says Paul Mihailidis, a civic media and journalism
expert at Emerson College. “Most of the science done is very small
scale, very exploratory. It’s very qualitative,” he says. That is not
simply because of a lack of resources, he adds. “There’s also a lack of
clarity about what the goals are.”

Moreover, the small amount of research that does exist has largely been
conducted with college students. The various approaches that are being
used in K–12 classrooms have hardly been tested. As part of his current
research initiative, Mihailidis and his team interviewed the heads of
all major organizations that are part of the National Media Literacy
Alliance, which works to promote media literacy education. “We are
finding, repeatedly, that many of the ways in which they support schools
and teachers — resources, guidelines, best practices, etc. — are not
studied in much of a rigorous fashion,” he says.

  Some researchers, including Wineburg, are trying to fill in the
research gaps. In a study published in 2019, Wineburg and his team
compared how 10 history professors, 10 journalism fact-checkers and 25
Stanford undergraduates evaluated websites and information on social and
political issues. Historians and students were often fooled by
manipulative websites, but journalism fact-checkers were not. In
addition, their methods of analysis differed significantly: historians
and students tried to assess the validity of websites and information by
reading vertically, navigating within a site to learn more about it, but
fact-checkers read laterally, opening new browser tabs for different
sources and running searches to judge the original website’s credibility.
But what about the longer-term impact of media literacy? Once students
learn how to evaluate websites and claims, how confident can we be that
they will retain these skills and use them down the line? And will these
methods lead students to become civically engaged members of society?
“There’s always this kind of leap into ‘that will make our democracy and
news systems stronger.’ And I don’t know if that’s necessarily the
case,” Mihailidis says.

At the same time, pressing students to be skeptical about all
information also may have unexpected downsides. “We think that some
approaches to media literacy not only don’t work but might actually
backfire by increasing students’ cynicism or exacerbating
misunderstandings about the way news media work,” says Peter Adams,
senior vice president of education at the News Literacy Project.
Students may begin to “read all kinds of nefarious motives into everything.”

Some say that the way around this might be to help students develop
mindsets in which they become comfortable with uncertainty. According to
educational psychologist William Perry of Harvard University, students
go through various stages of learning. First children are
black-and-white thinkers — they think there are right answers and wrong
answers. Then they develop into relativists, realizing that knowledge
can be contextual. This stage can be dangerous, however. It is the one
where, as Russell notes, people can come to believe there is no truth.
When students think everything is a lie, they can also think there is no
point in engaging with difficult topics. But instead of driving students
to apathy, the goal is to steer them toward awareness and engagement.

Schools still have a long way to go before they get there, though. One
big challenge is how to expand these programs so they reach everyone,
especially kids in lower-income school districts, who are much less
likely to receive any news literacy instruction at all. And teachers
already have so much material they have to impart — can they squeeze in
more, especially if what they have to add is nuanced and complex?

More investment in media literacy education is also critical if
America’s young people are going to learn how to navigate this new and
constantly evolving media landscape with their wits about them. And more
research is necessary to understand how to get them there.

But many more studies will be needed for researchers to reach a
comprehensive understanding of what works and what doesn’t over the long
term. Education scholars need to take “an ambitious, big step forward,”
Schneider says. “What we’re facing are transformational changes in the
way we receive, process and share information. We’re in the middle of
the most profound revolution in 500 years.”

Melinda Wenner Moyer is a journalist who covers parenting, science and
medicine. She is also the author of How to Raise Kids Who Aren’t Assholes.
https://www.niemanlab.org/2022/02/ready-for-2-1-or-afterkids-are-falling-victim-to-disinformation-and-conspiracy-theories/

/[ get info on your computer ]/
*Probable Futures*
This platform offers interactive maps of future climate scenarios using
widely accepted climate models, along with stories and explanations
designed to help you understand our changing world. We designed it to be
experienced like a book, so we encourage you to read to the bottom of
each page and follow the arrows.
https://probablefutures.org/

/[  Burial is a musician ] /
*Listening to Burial at the end of the world*
When climate crisis came to a reporter's backyard, only music made it
make sense
February 2, 2022
MIGUEL OTÁROLA
A few years ago, during what would be my last of four frigid Minneapolis
winters, I noticed a ritual had embedded itself into my evening commute.
I was reporting for a local newspaper at the time, my first job out of
college, in a city where people take pride in their ability to withstand
the elements.

Each time, the same sequence unfolded from muscle memory: wait to board
the bus, find a seat by the window, pull my headphones on over my
beanie, choose a soundtrack. On nights when I felt particularly
introverted, the honor went to songs by the British electronic producer
Burial. I would burrow inside the worlds he created, comforted by the
vinyl crackle that runs like a current under his music, as the blurry
streetlights outside dotted my own reflection. Listening turned my mere
loneliness into solitude, making the long winter nights — and the
sadness that came with them — make sense.

Since his earliest releases, Burial has made music for secret, hidden
moments like these, informed by the fog and rain of his own South
London. Though his palette — an array of distorted vocals, broken beats
and falling shell casings — hasn't changed much over the years, the
worlds he paints with it have. After 2013's Rival Dealer, he ventured
away from the dance floor, writing starker pieces about smoldering
"Beachfires" and a forgotten "State Forest." There were no drums, only
echoes. These landscapes were dimmer and even further removed from
society, and in time it became harder to see myself in them, harder to
relate.

That all changed in December. I was finishing my first year as a climate
and environment reporter in Colorado. We had reached the end of the year
without a major wildfire, unlike in 2020, when the three largest fires
in state history burned hundreds of thousands of acres of forest land.
We were still in extreme drought — Denver went a disturbing 232 days
without a significant snowfall — but it seemed like we had avoided the
worst for now.

On Dec. 30, 2021, two days before the new year, a grass fire ignited
about 26 miles northwest of Denver. Winds gusting at more than 100 miles
an hour fanned the flames toward the suburban communities of Superior
and Louisville, torching neighborhoods and clouding the skies with
thick, gray smoke. The fire kept spreading through the night, until the
winds died down and snow fell over the smoldering towns. The Marshall
fire would become the most destructive in Colorado history, with more
than 1,000 homes burned to the ground and at least one confirmed death...
- -
Back in Denver, I filed my interviews and wrote my stories. Later that
week, unable to sleep and staring at my phone, I saw that Burial had
released his latest EP, ANTIDAWN. "Just the vapours," read the online
promotional blurb. I put it on and fell back to bed.

At 43 minutes, ANTIDAWN is Burial's longest project since his 2007
breakthrough, Untrue. Its five long tracks seem to exist in spaces where
light does not — the edges of the solar system, the depths of a cavern,
the bottom of the ocean. Mournful organs and synths fill the open space
with the kind of chords that carried '90s pop ballads like Sinead
O'Connor's version of "Nothing Compares 2 U." Sampled vocals drift in
and out of frame, stretched out and frayed, haunting whatever happens to
pass in their direction. "Nowhere to go," croaks a voice in the opening
track, "Strange Neighbourhood." "I'm in a bad place," moans another,
distorted and despondent. A thin voice sings for "somewhere, in the
darkest night," cosmic synths swelling underneath...
- -
As a reporter covering climate change, I've always felt swallowed by
these calamities. There are always new fires, new record temperatures,
new reports warning us of what lies ahead. Looking at the Marshall fire
burn scar with my own eyes, I couldn't even comprehend the destruction
in front of me. I kept wishing that it had never happened, that the
winds weren't as strong that day, that there was some snow on the ground
to keep the flames from spreading. I struggled with the idea that only a
few miles away, my apartment and neighborhood were standing like they
were the day before.

And yet, the music was a relief. If Burial's discography had often felt
to me like a foreboding signal from the near future, I could see in
ANTIDAWN that the future was already here. This is the reality we live
in, it assured me. The consequences of climate change are playing out
right in front of us. In that moment, I was at peace with whatever
lurked in the darkness. The threat persisted, but in terms I could
grasp, in ruined remnants I could perceive with my own senses. Feeling
grounded, I was ready to move forward.

To me, Burial is music made for these ruins and the people left to see
them. His vocal samples remind you that someone is there, or was there,
or is lighting the way just a little further ahead. His drums, though
rarer in his music now, still pulse you forward. The crackle and hiss
still keep you warm. It may not be the same world that once existed, but
it's still our world, one where it's not too late to learn from what
we're seeing. A voice in "Come Down to Us," the melodramatic centerpiece
of Rival Dealer, offers a bridge between what was and what is: "Don't be
afraid to step into the unknown."

"If you alone could hear someone upset on the other side of the world,
then maybe then you could do something about it," Burial told journalist
Mark Fisher in 2007, around the release of Untrue. "I was once in these
mountains. You'd see these fires, other people sleeping out in the
mountains, traders across the border. And that gives you this feeling:
nighttime, awareness of other people sleeping. But all it is just a
firelight. You see their firelight and you know they are there. That's
all you need."

As I finished my tour of the burn scar, snow began to fall, obscuring my
vision and blanketing the ground in white. Driving back toward the
highway, I felt some of that same quiet, secret solitude I'd felt riding
the bus on those dark winter nights in Minneapolis. The cars on the road
moved slowly, carefully, headlights cutting through the snow, guiding us
all home. The snow is falling outside my window now, as I write and
listen. But beyond it, the firelights burn, letting me know we're still
here.

Miguel Otárola is a climate and environment reporter for Colorado Public
Radio.
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/02/1077344526/burial-antidawn-wildfires-colorado-marshall-climate-environment
- -
*Burial - ANTIDAWN EP*
Jan 7, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KEa4I775ug
- -
*State Forest *
Burial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcWbx5WCrIc
- -
*Beachfires *
Burial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGPV8eDrx9M

/[  Crypto currency is  a form of carbon consumption and exhaustion ] /
*Crypto-Art, the climate killer*
https://www.carbondrop.art/
https://www.dw.com/en/retailers-play-in-the-metaverse-as-meta-shares-plummet/a-60646685

/[  stunning hour long video  ]/
*What Are The Signals Of An Extinction Event? | Earth's Survival | Earth
Stories*
Nov 13, 2021
Earth Stories - Climate Change Documentaries
0:00 - Intro
2:40 - Water Crisis
9:30 - Changing Ecosystems
16:12 - Rise of Oceans
23:20 - Rate of Change
33:33 - Human Health
40:00 - Renewable Energy
44:00 - Window of Opportunity

Made in consultation with the IPCC and world leading climate scientists,
this groundbreaking documentary explains how we may be in the middle of
the most crucial moment of Earth’s history.

Blue-chip, panoramic, and visually rich, this one hour special moves
across the globe from the Himalayas to Antarctica, the Amazon Rainforest
to the High Arctic/
/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d54_vMmxCE/

/[  Yawn, maybe.  I dunno.  see the trailer  - opens today in theaters -
oh that's the difference ]
/*Roland Emmerich Wants To Destroy The World Again With Another Global
Warming Movie [Exclusive]*

    Moonfall (2022 Movie) Official Trailer – Halle Berry, Patrick
    Wilson, John Bradley
    Jan 6, 2022
    Lionsgate Movies
    MOONFALL - IN THEATERS FEBRUARY 4, 2022! Halle Berry, Patrick
    Wilson, John Bradley, Michael Peña, Charlie Plummer, Kelly Yu, Eme
    Ikwuakor, Carolina Bartczak, and Donald Sutherland.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIwdQBlS10

Asked what sort of story that urgency might be wrapped up in, Emmerich
fired off a summary from the hip:

"Probably the story of, maybe in Africa, a doctor [from Doctors Without
Borders] with his family is friends with the whole hospital, and he's
the last one to leave, and he cannot leave without taking these people
with him. Because of that, he gets really, really in trouble. And
sometimes they have to help him, and he has to help them, but it's more
of a travelogue where you kind of see the whole world, in a way, be
totally changed. The biggest problem, probably, is the ending here,
because you want to keep a little bit of hope that things will change."
For all of the glee Roland Emmerich takes in tearing the planet apart,
he seems to think that the world is still a fine place worth fighting for.

https://www.slashfilm.com/755376/roland-emmerich-wants-to-destroy-the-world-again-with-another-global-warming-movie-exclusive/

/[ The news archive - looking back at video ]/
*On this day in the history of global warming February  4, 1992*
February 4, 1992: In one of the worst examples of mainstream media
false-balance in US history, Ted Koppel hosts a “debate” on ABC's
"Nightline" between Sen. Al Gore (D-TN) and Rush Limbaugh on global
warming and other environmental issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9rZKJt4ZC4 (Part 1)

http://youtu.be/WbC-yWycHfM (Part 2)