[✔️] January 24, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Mon Jan 24 11:00:40 EST 2022

/*January 24, 2022*/

/[  "lessons not learned, will be repeated" -- video report from VICE
News  8 mins ] /
*Wildfires Are Coming to the Suburbs*
Jan 23, 2022
VICE News
The changing nature of the environment in the West means that people who
want to live there might need to change how they live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Zmh2YHvus

/[ students show their activism  -- long text and brief video report
//https://www.indystar.com/videos/news/2022/01/24/students-confront-climate-crisis-legislative-advocacy-day-indiana-statehouse/6569194001/]
/
*Indiana students demand action on climate change. Lawmakers respond
with hard 'no.'*
Sarah Bowman Indianapolis Star
- -
Three pieces of legislation have been proposed this session. Two bills
would create task forces to tackle climate change issues. The other is a
resolution that says “the Indiana General Assembly acknowledges climate
change as a serious problem for Indiana.”..
- -
Sen. Mark Messmer, R-Jasper, who chairs the Senate Environmental Affairs
Committee, told IndyStar he does not plan to hear the senate
legislation. The chair of the House committee, Rep. Mike Speedy,
R-Indianapolis, did not respond to IndyStar requests for comment...
- -
“We’re the ones who will grow up and inherit the state and deal with the
future they are leaving for us,” said Rahul Durai, a sophomore at West
Lafayette Jr./Sr. High School who also serves as a legislative director
for the group.

That future looks challenging, according to research from Purdue
University's Indiana Climate Change Impacts Assessment.
- -
*'Start the climate conversation' *
Confront the Climate Crisis held an action day at the Statehouse on
Tuesday, talking with legislators about the bills and trying to build
support. Durai and his fellow students said they had hoped to speak with
Messmer to discuss hearing the bills, but never got the chance.

Messmer told IndyStar Wednesday that he does not plan to hear the task
force bill or the resolution...
- -
Not only is the state legislature not taking action on climate change,
it sometimes has taken steps in the opposite direction during recent
sessions, according to climate advocates.

Last year, the General Assembly passed a law prohibiting municipalities
from putting restrictions on natural gas in new development. It also
approved a bill stripping protections for wetlands, which serve a
crucial role in filtering water and preventing flooding.
In previous years, the legislature has also eliminated Indiana’s energy
efficiency program and phased out a mechanism called net metering that
is meant to help more homeowners install solar panels...
- -
The fact that the legislature won’t even hear or consider legislation on
climate change is ironic, said Kerwin Olson, executive director of
consumer-advocacy group Citizens Action Coalition. That’s because
several other bills being discussed this session — ones about building
nuclear reactors in Indiana or capturing and storing carbon dioxide
underground — rely on the claim these technologies are needed to help
reduce carbon emissions that cause climate change...
- -
“The state of Indiana only wants to capitalize on a small piece of this
rather than looking at the big picture,” Olson said. “Let’s hope the
older generation starts to listen to the younger generation, because
this is one of the main issues where we are passing on a huge debt to
our children.”...
- -
Yoder said she finds it “absolutely atrocious” that her generation isn’t
doing more and is saying “bravo” and “we are proud of you” to the next
generation for their work on climate change...
- -
“They don’t want our pride. They want our activism, they want our voice,
and they want us to actively pass bills to create a future for them,”
she said. “They can’t wait until our generation is out so they can
actually make a difference. They need us to act now to create the future
they are asking for and demanding.”
Durai said every year without action is a missed opportunity to start
making changes. Without making changes now, the United Nations said the
world won’t be able to avoid warming beyond dangerous levels that could
further exacerbate climate disasters, hunger and drought worldwide.

Still, the students plan to come back every year until the Indiana
legislature listens.

“We will have to strategize about if we push for something more
ambitious that meets the moment,” Durai said. “But we are persistent,
and our movement isn’t going anywhere.”
Call IndyStar reporter Sarah Bowman at 317-444-6129 or email at
sarah.bowman at indystar.com. Follow her on Twitter and Facebook:
@IndyStarSarah. Connect with IndyStar’s environmental reporters: Join
The Scrub on Facebook.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/environment/2022/01/24/climate-change-action-demanded-indiana-students-lawmakers-say-no/6561634001/

- -

/[ Indiana Student video provides a template for activism /]
*Confront the Climate Crisis Official Video*
This is Confront the Climate Crisis. We're a coalition of students
across Indiana who are fighting for climate action from our legislators
for the sake of our future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZErD16aoeo

- -

/[ Student website shows some smarts ]/
*Confront the Climate Crisis*
We have the power to confront the climate crisis—and that is what we
will do.
https://www.confronttheclimatecrisis.com/our-team
https://www.confronttheclimatecrisis.com/

/[   Another technical breakthrough that we will see by 2025. Video ] /
*Solar PV efficiency - new breakthrough!*
Jan 23, 2022
Just Have a Think
Solar photovoltaic panels are currently limited to a maximum efficiency
of about 30%, and in practice only actually achieve about 20% to 23%
efficiency. Now a team in Cambridge has developed a film that can
amplify the number of photons that the panel can use, with a potential
increase in efficiency to as much as 35%. So how do they do that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHhP6cjAvPE

/[ Fighting over fuel bills... big money  - if I buy gas, I have to pay
first  ]/
*Cruise ship changes course to Bahamas after U.S. issues arrest warrant*
Ivana Saric
A Crystal Cruises ship bound for Miami changed course Saturday and
sailed toward the Bahamas when U.S. authorities issued an arrest warrant
for the vessel due to unpaid fuel bills, USA Today reported.

What they're saying: "We all feel we were abducted by luxurious
pirates!" one passenger posted on Facebook, according to CBS News.

The big picture: A federal judge in Miami issued an arrest warrant for
the ship on Thursday, meaning that a U.S. Marshal would have boarded and
taken over the ship once it reached U.S. waters, per CBS News.

The ship, the Crystal Symphony, was meant to dock in Miami on Saturday
but kept passengers on board an extra day when it changed course for the
Bahamas.
Tracking data indicates that the Crystal Symphony is currently docked on
the island of Bimini, and passengers were transported by ferry to Fort
Lauderdale on Sunday, CBS News reported.
State of play: Peninsula Petroleum Far East filed the lawsuit to try to
recover $4.6 million in unpaid fuel bills from Crystal Cruises and Star
Cruises, which chartered or managed Crystal Symphony, per CBS News.

Seizing the Crystal Symphony will repay about $1.2 million of the debt,
Bloomberg reported.
https://www.axios.com/cruise-ship-bahamas-debt-2252e700-53e1-45e1-a1f9-00f85f84283d.html

/[ Aspen opinion from the tall slopes ]/
*Roger Marolt: Technically, it will take a miracle to stop global warming*
OPINION | January 20, 2022
Roger Marolt
What if there was a way to cut your carbon tire track by 25% without
reducing the miles you drive or switching cars? Well you can, and the
way to do it is not too good to be true. It is only too unpalatable to
be acceptable.

According to numerous studies, the optimal driving speed for maximum gas
mileage is somewhere between 50 and 60 mph. It’s different for all
vehicles, but the sweet spot for most is in this range. Most cars will
burn about 25% more gas at 70 mph than they will putting along at a
grandfatherly 50 mph.

And there you have it, driving at 50 mph on the highways would make a
tremendous difference in slowing down global warming. The problem is,
nobody is going to do it. So few drivers would do this that it would
actually be dangerous to try it yourself.

The paradox is that by burning up more of our own travel time, we could
give the planet more time to exist as we know it. For humanity, that
trade is very good. For us individually, it is, well, a waste of time.

We can tweak the discussion a bit to make it more relevant to Aspenites,
if we have the stomach for it. Let’s talk skiing. We love to ski. Even
though this recreational activity is completely irrelevant to almost
everyone else on this huge planet, it is our identity. It’s our economy.
We will fight to save skiing, and even lobby to create more of it!

But, defending skiing to the bitter end leads down a slippery slope not
found on Ajax. Once we stop dealing in absolutes for limiting greenhouse
gases and allow picking and choosing solutions to address our changing
climate, we must allow for everyone else to do the same. Carving turns
on deforested mountains is off the table for us. Highly modified
four-wheel drives grinding through the desert are non-negotiable for
people in Moab. Power boating on the coasts anyone? Perhaps you would
rather just build a giant house with all the amenities to relax in. We
all have our things.

We want to halt global warming to save skiing, but we won’t give up
skiing to halt global warming. The first part of the sentence is an
expression of a passion. That’s easy. The second demands too much.

Of course we can debate which non-negotiable destructive passion is
worse, but there are no winners in that. The best we can hope for is to
“agree to disagree.” The saying makes skin crawl, but that’s about it.

We’re driving electric cars. We recycle bottles and cans. We compost. We
don’t eat (much) meat anymore. Our houses are efficient. We are aware
and so are the kids. The low hanging fruit is picked and stored in
reusable bushel baskets. We have done the easy work, harvested the sweet
things, the ones we didn’t have to climb up a ladder and lean out for.
There’s no sense risking a fall. Yet, when we count the inventory, we’ll
find its not enough to get us through the winter, even an unseasonably
warm one.

There are only two choices left: We can endure some extreme pain and
give up something like skiing, or depend on technology to save our
soy-based bacon.

I vote for technology! A 10-pound electric car battery that provides a
driving range of 500 miles that can be fully recharged in three minutes
would be something, huh?

COVID may be the warm-up act. The problem is big. We’ve done the little
things. After we gave up socializing completely for a time, we kept our
distances to slow the spread. We wear masks. We wash our hands longer,
with stronger soaps, doubling up with sanitizers. We avoid crowds. But,
even while these individual acts indisputably help, with them alone
COVID would enjoy a longer, more deadly existence. Vaccines and new
medicines are the game-changers. It will be the same with global
warming. Our small efforts alone will not save the planet. Global
warming is an enormous problem that will take gigantic scientific
breakthroughs to overcome.

In the meantime, instead of the small acts we skiers are performing
toward a solution being a trigger for indignant righteousness against
4WD enthusiasts in Moab who are probably doing much of the same things
we are doing when they are not burning fossil fuels, let’s let these
acts be a sign of unity and caring for each other. We have to come
together even though we recreate miles apart.

Roger Marolt does his part by skiing moguls more often than groomers.
roger at maroltllp.com
https://www.aspentimes.com/opinion/roger-marolt-technically-it-will-take-a-miracle-to-stop-global-warming/

/[  News of financier quote Coleridge about another part of the globe
text and audio ] /
*Climate change on Anand Mahindra's mind? UAE beach resort offers insight*
Mahindra Group chairman Anand Mahindra.
Livemint
The Mahindra group chairman mulled over the fact that if the sea level
rises, various cities would go under water as climate change and its
results ravage the planet earth.
As climate change remains the most discussed topics in bureaucracy and
otherwise, amongst world leaders and school syllabus, Mahindra Group
chairman Anand Mahindra on Saturday took to microblogging site Twitter
to express a fear best understood in Coleridge's words, “Water, water,
every where,/ Nor any drop to drink."

The Mahindra group chairman mulled over the fact that if the sea level
rises, various cities would go under water as climate change and its
results ravage the planet earth. ..
- -
Netizens replied to his tweet stating how they have witnessed small
islands at various parts of the world have already gone under water.

“I had actually seen a huge wave come in and wash out half of a tiny
island in Maldives... where I was conducting a health camp... way back
in 2008," one wrote attaching a picture with the tweet.
https://www.livemint.com/news/india/climate-change-on-anand-mahindra-s-mind-uae-beach-resort-offers-insight-11642848659528.html

/[The news archive - looking back transcript and video ]/
*On this day in the history of global warming January  24, 2014*
January 24, 2014:
Bill Moyers condemns the American right-wing's denial of the reality of
human evolution and human-caused climate change.
Bill Moyers Essay: When Congressmen Deny Climate Change and Evolution

Bill Moyers takes on radical-right Republicans for denying the science
behind evolution and climate change, showing a video clip of Rep. Paul
Broun (R-GA), chairman of oversight and investigations for the Science,
Space and Technology Committee of the US House of Representatives, who
says evolution is a lie “straight from the pit of hell” and climate
change, a hoax.
This essay was originally broadcast with part three of Bill’s interview
with Neil deGrasse Tyson on January 24, 2014.
Transcript:

    *BILL MOYERS: *The battle never ends. And the choices we make in
    democracy often pit religious or partisan beliefs against scientific
    evidence that contradicts them. And beliefs can be stubborn, hard to
    give up. They even determine which facts we choose to accept.
    Partisans, especially – and who among us is not sometimes a partisan
    – will twist the facts to fit their preconceived notions. So, when
    people do stupid things, journalists and politicians included,
    cherished beliefs are often driving them, sometimes right over the
    cliff. As people in recovery say, denial is not just the name of a
    river in Egypt. And that’s what makes it dangerous.

    Right now, two powerful belief systems have converged to counter
    facts staring us right in the face. Just as the number of Americans
    who question the science of evolution has gone up, so too has the
    number who deny that global warming is happening, and that human
    activity is causing it. This, at a time when the global scientific
    community is more certain than ever that you and I, and everyone
    else, are helping to turn up the heat and seal our fate. And here’s
    the scary political reality: on both fronts, evolution and climate
    change, radical right Republicans have made denial a litmus test.
    You can see it embodied in this man, Paul Broun, Republican
    congressman from Georgia, and a physician with strong religious beliefs:

    *PAUL BROUN:* I've come to understand that all that stuff I was
    taught about evolution, and embryology, and Big Bang theory, all
    that is lies straight from the pit of hell. And it’s lies to try to
    keep me and all the folks who are taught that from understanding
    that they need a savior. You see there are a lot of scientific data
    that I found out as a scientist that actually show that this is
    really a young earth. I don’t believe that the earth’s but about
    9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know
    them. That’s what the Bible says.

    *BILL MOYERS: *And when he took on the science of global warming,
    his fellow Republicans in the House of Representatives
    enthusiastically applauded:

    *PAUL BROUN on CSPAN: *Now we hear all the time about global
    warming. Well, actually we’ve had a flat line temperatures globally
    for the last eight years. Scientists all over this world say that
    the idea of human-induced global climate change is one of the
    greatest hoaxes perpetrated out of the scientific community. It is a
    hoax.

    *BILL MOYERS: *Not true, simply not true. Up to a point, we might
    agree that Representative Broun’s personal beliefs are his own
    business, even when he is telling the extremist John Birch Society
    that this entire concept of man-made global warming is a conspiracy
    to, and I’m quoting, “destroy America.” But remember, this man is
    chairman of oversight and investigations for the Science, Space, and
    Technology Committee of the United States House of Representatives,
    passing judgment on public policy and science. God help us.

http://billmoyers.com/segment/bill-moyers-essay-when-congressmen-deny-climate-change-and-evolution/