[✔️] July 9, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sat Jul 9 08:58:56 EDT 2022

/*July 9, 2022*/

/[ Opinion from the Guardian  ] /
*We’ve overexploited the planet, now we need to change if we’re to survive*
Patrick Vallance
The relationship between humans and nature is under intense and
increasing strain. The report released today by Ipbes, the
Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem
Services (akin to the IPCC reports on climate change), provides
compelling evidence that humans are overexploiting wild species and
habitats. Harmful activities, including habitat destruction, poor
farming practices and pollution, have altered ecosystems significantly,
driving many species past the point of recovery. In Great Britain alone,
of the 8,431 species assessed in the 2019 State of Nature report, 1,188
are threatened with extinction. Globally, there are an estimated one
million at risk, with biodiversity declining at a faster rate than at
any time in human history.

We cannot ignore biodiversity loss. Biodiversity is the variability that
exists among all living organisms, between different species, within
species including genetic makeup, and in wider ecosystems. Billions of
people rely on wild species for food, clean water, energy, income and
health and wellbeing. Annually, crops worth up to £480bn are pollinated
by a variety of wild animals, and an estimated 4 billion people depend
on natural medicines for their healthcare. These vital ecosystem
services are fundamentally based on a healthy environment, and this
requires biodiversity. Losing biodiversity leaves species and ecosystems
less resilient to challenges such as invasive species or pests, meaning
there is an increased risk of whole populations being wiped out and
destabilising the entire ecological network. Nature is a finite
resource, and human self-interest alone should determine that
biodiversity must be protected.

Alongside overexploitation, humans are driving biodiversity loss by
destroying, polluting and fragmenting habitats across the globe. Many of
the UK’s important peatlands, which provide a home for rare species such
as the hen harrier, have been drained for agricultural use. The Amazon
rainforest is being cleared to such an extent that it may be near a
tipping point beyond which it cannot recover.
The climate crisis is exacerbating the issue. Many species simply cannot
adapt to the scale and pace of changing temperatures. For example,
warming seas and ocean acidification are devastating coral reefs around
the world. This year, the Great Barrier Reef suffered its sixth mass
bleaching event since 1998 with more than 90% of reefs affected. In many
cases, when an ecosystem loses biodiversity, it becomes less able to
store carbon, contributing to further climate change. We have a vicious
cycle: climate change leads to biodiversity losses, which in turn leads
to further climate change. As governments around the world develop plans
to reduce carbon emissions and conserve biodiversity, the message is
simple: we must solve both problems together...
- -
What can be done? Just as science has diagnosed the problem, it can
provide solutions. Using strong evidence, such as this Ipbes report,
governments can develop effective policy. Integrated and collaborative
planning can deliver sustainable solutions which address climate change
and biodiversity loss simultaneously, protecting and enriching human
lives...   https://ipbes.net/
- -
CBD Cop15 could deliver landmark action and be as important for
biodiversity as the Paris Agreement is proving for reducing greenhouse
gas emissions. It will set the direction for the next decade of
international action and beyond. Governments should agree to halt and
reverse biodiversity loss by 2030, and develop evidence-based,
actionable plans to do so. An important challenge is to define a
reliable and simple integrated metric, like carbon emissions have been
used for climate goals. At the end of June, negotiators met in Nairobi
for their latest attempt to agree the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity
Framework, and while progress was made, it did not go far enough.

The last decade’s targets were not met; the next decade’s must be.
Credible delivery plans will be required, and we need a robust mechanism
for monitoring progress and holding ourselves to account. CBD Cop15 is
the time to finalise the framework, and countries must come to the table
prepared to make and support ambitious commitments. This is our chance
to secure long-lasting agreements to protect our planet.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/08/climate-crisis-biodiversity-decline-overexploited-planet-change-to-survive-aoe

- -

https://ipbes.net/

/[  the answer is long and complicated, but mostly it is "No" ] /
*Can FEMA Keep Up With Climate Change?*
JULY 08, 2022
https://slate.com/transcripts/Vm40VEdDN2tYbzBTYXNnY0ltVi9kUWh1WGlvcVFWR28yNmM0WmpxTHFjWT0=

/[  British view of US politcs ] /
*The supreme court has left the US with no plan for the climate crisis*
Oliver Milman
In mid-June, a ferocious “heat dome” brought roasting temperatures to
much of the US, placing around a third of Americans under hazardous-heat
warnings. It came soon after a record heatwave in India so brutal birds
fell from the sky. Floods, meanwhile, have been the worst in a century
in Bangladesh and so fierce in America’s Yellowstone national park that
entire bridges and buildings were washed away.

Amid this tumult, the US supreme court has restricted the ability of the
world’s largest historical carbon polluter to address the climate
crisis. Last week, the rightwing-dominated court ruled that the US
government cannot use its existing powers to reshape the country’s power
generation away from coal towards a cleaner future.

In another country, this would be surmountable by simply passing
legislation to remedy the shortfall. Many places, such as the UK, have,
after all, enshrined climate targets and stipulations to phase out coal
and other fossil fuels within certain timeframes.

Our planet’s leading superpower, however, has contrived to turn global
heating into a partisan, ideological argument that sees climate action
wax and wane depending on which party is in power. It has been almost
four decades since then-president George HW Bush boasted: “Those who
think we are powerless to do anything about the greenhouse effect forget
about the White House effect.” And yet the US still has no national
climate or energy policy in place. Having no such plan in 2022 as the
world hurtles into a new reality of electric cars and wind turbines has
left it oddly out of place in the modern world.

Governments do not have a further four decades to address escalating
temperatures, and the window of opportunity to avoid the worst is now
severely shrivelled. It’s unlikely we will dodge disastrous heating
without strong action from the US and yet that first-ever climate bill
is stalled in Congress – held up by a centrist senator who owns a
coal-trading firm – and there is little time to strike a deal ahead of
midterm elections in November, where Democrats are expected to lose.

The political failure for Joe Biden, who campaigned as the first climate
president and presided over slender Democratic control of the Senate and
Congress, would be enormous. But the real losers will be those left
bereft of life, limb and property from the latest heatwave or flood. The
next few months will be critical in deciding how many will have to
suffer that fate.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/06/the-us-supreme-court-is-turning-the-constitution-into-a-suicide-pact

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*July 9, 2008*/
July 9, 2008: The UK Daily Telegraph reports that prior to leaving the
G8 Summit in Japan, President George W. Bush, "who has been condemned
throughout his presidency for failing to tackle climate change, ended a
private meeting with the words: 'Goodbye from the world's biggest
polluter.' He then punched the air while grinning widely, as the rest of
those present including [British Prime Minister] Gordon Brown and
[French President] Nicolas Sarkozy looked on in shock."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/2277298/President-George-Bush-Goodbye-from-the-worlds-biggest-polluter.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/bush-to-g8-goodbye-from-the-worlds-biggest-polluter-863911.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*