[✔️] July 11, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Mon Jul 11 09:15:52 EDT 2022

/*July 11, 2022*/

/[ Smoke explanes stunning sunset and sunrise ]/
*NOAA has issued their forecast for the distribution of smoke for 10
a.m. PDT July 11, 2022. The smoke is primarily originating from
wildfires in California and Utah.*
https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/07/10/smoke-forecast-for-july-11-2022/

- -

/[ Wildfire report - Bay Area video a few minutes  ]/
*Still growing Washburn Fire in Yosemite continues to threaten park's
giant sequoias*
13,976 views  Jul 10, 2022  Team coverage of the Washburn Fire burning
in Yosemite National Park (7-10-2022(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vajLquYwiU
- -
/[ Holt Hanley - Wildfire Forecasting and briefing for risk to Sequoia
forests ]/
*Update and Forecast for the Washburn Fire in Yosemite National Park*
July 10, 2022 The Washburn Fire is burning in Yosemite National Park and
is threatening structures as well as giant sequoias. In this video, we
will look at where the fire is now, and where it is likely to spread in
the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flouJxjk-k0

- -

/[ Europe heatwave forecast ]/
*43c Next Weekend from GFS as Heatwave Arrives! 9th July 2022*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wQWQ1kkJFU

/[ flooding in Pakistan ]/
*Flooding in Pakistan kills dozens as monsoon rains lash country*
In the southern province of Balochistan 57 people including women and
children have been killed and hundreds left homeless.
Intense floods have killed dozens of people and left hundreds homeless
in Pakistan as heavy monsoon rains battered the country, officials said.

In the southern province of Balochistan, 57 people, including women and
children, were killed after being swept away in rising flood waters,
Ziaullah Langove, the disaster and home affairs adviser to the
province’s chief minister, said on Saturday.
Eight dams had burst due to the heavy rains, Langove said.

Hundreds more people were left homeless after their homes collapsed
under the rain and flood waters, he said, adding that the torrential
monsoon rains were continuing.

In Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province two people,
including a six-year-old, died and four were injured when their house
collapsed, according to a district official statement.

Heavy rains have lashed Pakistan in recent days, leaving large swathes
of the largest city, Karachi, inundated with water.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/9/flooding-in-pakistan-kills-dozens-amid-heavy-monsoon-rains

/[  Some excellent economic thinking that respects the reality of global
warming - -23 min video] /
*System Change - [ECO]NOMICS Part 4*
May 18, 2022  Encouraged by economists, current mainstream policy on
climate change has been too focused on "green growth", and reliant on
market-based solutions, which have proven inadequate to the challenge.
Professor Juliet Shor emphasizes it is time to reject business as usual
and build a new economy.

In this fourth and last part of [ECO]NOMICS, Prof. Schor explores the
structural changes necessary to live within planetary boundaries.

For starters, we need to improve our understanding of human well-being.
Public policy has focused on a single flawed number - GDP - ignoring
that higher quality of life can be achieved on other dimensions, like
fewer working hours. While growth is essential for poor countries to
achieve decent standards of living, after a certain threshold, the
incremental benefits of increasing GDP are fewer and unequally
distributed. Prof. Schor shows it is both economically and technically
feasible to achieve high levels of well-being without fossil fuels.

Climate policy should jettison the growth imperative, but it cannot
overlook the equality imperative. We are in a climate crisis because of
inequalities of power and resources, both within countries and
globally.  Prof. Schor outlines what needs to be done to address climate
destabilization successfully and efficiently: mandate shifts to clean
renewable energy, democratic control of investment flows, and a just
transition with equity at its core. The State needs to be at the center
of this response. But Prof. Schor warns that concentrations of wealth
often translate into control of the State and policy inaction, so we
need to also address the  distribution of power and democratization. In
light of recent tendencies, a large and vigorous social movement may be
necessary to spur our governments to act.
learn more at - https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/videos/eco-nomics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT0tp3OfF64

/[ Virginia is one state with this widespread risk ] /
*Sea level rise from climate change is threatening home septic systems
and public health*
Rebecca Mann, Cassidy Pearson, and Jenny Schuetz  - - June 29, 2022
- -
Nationally, older homes are more likely to have septic systems, with
only 15% of newly built homes on septic. Unlike sewer systems, which are
typically owned and maintained by public agencies or regulated
utilities, septic systems are owned and maintained by individual
property owners. Existing data is not well structured to identify which
homes—and homeowners—with septic systems are both in high-risk locations
and face tight financial constraints.

Communities that rely on septic systems run the gamut from high-income,
high-priced suburbs and exurbs to low-income rural areas. Smaller
communities face especially limited financial resources and staff, both
in public agencies and private contractors who typically install and
service septic systems. In Virginia’s Tidewater region, the median rural
county has just under 12,000 residents—less than half the size of most
cities and counties across the state.

Expecting thousands of local governments across the country to
simultaneously develop solutions to the same problem is both ineffective
and inefficient. Solutions to problems created by climate change will
require extensive financial resources, monitoring, data collection, and
technical expertise—not to mention coordination across multiple
government agencies.
*
**MORE COORDINATION AND FUNDING FROM STATE AND FEDERAL AGENCIES CAN HELP
LOCAL GOVERNMENTS ADDRESS CLIMATE RESILIENCE *
Septic tank failure due to sea level rise is only one example of how
climate change harms public health in ways that local governments alone
cannot address. State and federal support—especially for small
communities with limited financial and staff capacity—is essential to
help local governments assess options and implement solutions.
Researchers and policymakers at all levels of government should
collaborate to answer several key questions:

    -- Could some homes with septic tanks be connected to existing
    public sewer systems? What are the physical obstacles to doing this?
    -- For communities that face the highest, most persistent risk from
    sea level rise, is it necessary to relocate people and/or homes to
    safer areas?
    -- Are there technical innovations (e.g., better designed septic
    systems) that could be implemented?
    -- What are the estimated costs of different options? How would
    these costs be shared among affected property owners, insurance
    companies, and government agencies?
    -- Which options face the highest political hurdles? What are the
    equity implications—would subsidies to individual property owners be
    contingent on financial need?

Without major policy action, the consequences and risks of septic tank
failure will only increase as sea levels and water tables continue to
rise. Human health will suffer as a result of sewage and resulting
pollution, so policymakers must work to come up with big-picture solutions.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2022/06/29/sea-level-rise-from-climate-change-is-threatening-home-septic-systems-and-public-health/

/[ mass media misinformation and disinformation ]/
*Peter Dykstra: Climate change denial and me*
Since the 1990’s, I’ve had a front row seat for TV news's abject failure
in covering climate change.
Peter Dykstra  - - July 10, 2022
In the year 2000, I was overseeing CNN’s science and environment
coverage. One day in our daily editorial meeting, one of the top bosses
asked me why there seemed to be such scientific doubt about climate change.

I told him there was little doubt among credentialed scientists, but
that news organizations tended to cover science controversies by the
same standard as the one that decided criminal trials: Any reasonable
doubt was entertained.

But science worked more on the standard of civil trials: A preponderance
of evidence ruled the day. Reasonable doubt is what got O.J. Simpson
criminally acquitted of murder, but a preponderance of evidence found
him liable for millions of dollars in wrongful death judgements to the
surviving family members of his (alleged) victims.

After a year and a half of wall-to-wall coverage of O.J.’s mid-90s
criminal trial, a room full of cable news execs and middle managers
needed no more explanation of how reasonable doubt worked.

In 2010, Naomi Oreskes and Erik Conway thoroughly explained how
petrochemical and tobacco makers masterfully used this in their book
Merchants of Doubt.

In my 18 years at CNN, I never had more success in persuading top execs
that climate change was real than I did by explaining the climate-O.J.
connection. Really.
*
**Go-to climate denier *
Around the same time, Pat Michaels complained that he was blackballed
from appearing on CNN due to his denialist views. Michaels was the go-to
climate denier in the 1990’s. His science credentials were strong: A
Ph.D. in ecological climatology from the University of Wisconsin;
Virginia’s semi-official state climatologist; and Laureate of a
minuscule slice of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s
(IPCC’s) Nobel Peace Prize. He was glib and almost always available for
a short-notice TV interview.

Michaels’ work screamed of potential conflict, though. Some of his
publications were funded by the Western Fuels Association, a coal
industry trade group; more were fronted by the Greening Earth Society,
an industry-funded outfit that argued for the blessings of atmospheric
carbon as a sort of plant food for a hungry Earth.

Blackballed? l checked the CNN videotape library to learn that Michaels
had appeared more often than any scientist commenting on climate –
denier or not – through the ’90’s decade.

But it took the better part of the next 20 years for most “mainstream”
news organizations to divest themselves from including climate deniers
in their coverage. Right wing outlets like Fox News still feature
climate deniers, and, of course, denial runs rampant in one of our two
major political parties, the White House from 2017 to 2020, and the
Supreme Court from now till who knows when.
*
**Perfect storms *
I took over management of CNN’s weather operations in late 2003, just in
time for the outlandishly busy Atlantic Hurricane seasons. In ’04, four
major storms – Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne – raked Florida,
causing unprecedented damage.

Who could have believed 2005 would be worse? Dennis, Rita, and Wilma
were all major storms, each costing billions in damage. The list of
hurricane names ran through the alphabet for the first time ever.

And Hurricane Katrina topped them all: More than a thousand lives lost
and $125 billion in damage. The images of swamped neighborhoods and
ill-prepared rescuers touched America like never before.

The two seasons also re-ignited mostly dormant public concerns about
climate change. And in 2006, climate evangelist Al Gore hit his stride.
His PowerPoint presentation. “An Inconvenient Truth,” won a documentary
Oscar, and the former Vice President shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize
with 1,500 IPCC scientists, including the aforementioned Pat Michaels.

In late 2008 as the world economy tanked, climate interest had waned.
CNN shut down its science and environment coverage, laying off a superb
correspondent in Miles O’Brien and several producers, including me.

*One party issue *
 From about 2008 to 2012, climate change became a one-party issue.
Republican heavy-hitters including John McCain, Mitt Romney, Newt
Gingrich and even Sarah Palin backed off words and deeds on climate.

In 2014, CNN President Jeff Zucker provided a moment of sincerity when
asked about the near-absence of climate coverage in TV news, he said,
“We haven’t figured out how to engage the audience in that story in a
meaningful way.”

Well before his departure in 2021, Zucker delivered.

Former ABC correspondent Bill Weir is a consummate storyteller who has
held the title of Chief Climate Correspondent for several years. But
Weir’s stories compete for airtime with Trump, Biden, Putin,
Kardashian(s), Ukraine, COVID, inflation, mass shootings, Shinto Abe’s
murder, and more. Climate rarely wins that competition.

For the rest of this year, the midterms loom not only as the newest top
story, but one that could re-capture both the House and Senate for a
party that’s reaping the rewards of climate denial. And two years hence,
denial could return to the White House.

That might be one way to bring climate reporting to American TV. But at
what cost?

Peter Dykstra is our weekend editor and columnist and can be reached at
pdykstra at ehn.org or @pdykstra.
https://www.ehn.org/climate-change-news-tv-2657635524/go-to-climate-denier

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*July 11, 1990*/
July 11, 1990: The Los Angeles Times observes that President George H.
W. Bush seems to have dissociative identity disorder when it comes to
climate:

    "The tension is often explained as a dispute between Bush's
    strong-willed chief of staff, John H. Sununu, who is deeply
    suspicious of environmentalists, and his Environmental Protection
    Agency chief, William K. Reilly.

    "That explanation, however, is an inaccurate characterization,
    Administration officials say. Although Reilly has advocated a
    stronger environmental policy, he has neither the clout nor the
    access to Bush to challenge Sununu, the officials say. In fact,
    Reilly has been conspicuous by his absence from the economic summit,
    virtually the only senior Administration official with an interest
    in the summit issues whom Bush left in Washington.

    "Instead, the disputes within the Administration reflect Bush's own
    ambivalence about the issues. Throughout his Administration, he has
    been pulled in opposite directions on the environment, tugged
    between his desire to placate environmentally-conscious voters on
    the one side and his instinct to protect business people from
    government regulation on the other."

The Times also notes:

    "Bush's top aides are unanimous in believing that the scientific
    evidence is shaky on all aspects of global warming--the problem's
    dimensions, its potential effects and its causes."

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-07-11/news/mn-224_1_global-warming-issue

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*