[✔️] July 12, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Tue Jul 12 09:52:05 EDT 2022

/*July 12, 2022*/

/[ more heat to existing waters means...] /
*Lake Evaporation on the Rise*
Earth is truly an ocean planet. Only 3 percent of Earth’s water is
fresh, most of which is locked up in ice. Of the fraction of remaining
fresh water, more than 87 percent resides in lakes. The amount of water
lost from lakes by evaporation is a critical component of Earth’s water
and energy budgets. (About 75 percent of the energy, or heat, in the
global atmosphere is transferred through the evaporation of water from
the Earth’s surface.)

Now, researchers have found that the amount of water evaporating from
lakes is significantly more than previously thought, and that reservoirs
may play an outsized role in the process, according to a new NASA-funded
study published in Nature Communications...
- -
Additionally, the team found that the rate of water loss accelerated by
3.12 cubic kilometers per year between 1985 and 2018. The increasing
volume loss was driven by three factors, all influenced by climate
warming: an increase in the evaporation rate, a decrease in ice cover,
and an increase in lake surface area. The latter includes the
construction of new reservoirs, which have increased the amount of open
water by more than 500 square kilometers per year over the 34-year study
period.

“Both climate change and the construction of new reservoirs have
contributed to increased lake surface area,” Gao said. “For instance,
the lake area in the Tibetan Plateau has been increasing due to glacier
melt and increasing precipitation.”

The researchers also highlighted the data on reservoirs. While
reservoirs account for only 5 percent of the volume, and 10 percent of
the surface area, of all lakes, they contribute 16 percent of the
evaporative loss. Additionally, while evaporation is increasing from
lakes overall at a rate of 2.1 percent per decade, the rate of
evaporation from reservoirs is increasing at a rate of 5.4 percent per
decade.

“From a global perspective,” Zhao said, “the total reservoir evaporation
can be larger than the combined use of domestic and industrial water,”
not including agriculture, the largest user of water. “This suggests
that reservoir evaporation is an indispensable factor in water
management, especially in times of drought and global warming.”

The global lake evaporation volume (GLEV) dataset is the first
long-term, monthly time series with data on such a large number of
individual lakes. It is publicly available as an Earth Engine App.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/150067/lake-evaporation-on-the-rise

- -

/[ research study ]/
Published: 28 June 2022
*Evaporative water loss of 1.42 million global lakes*
Gang Zhao, Yao Li, Liming Zhou & Huilin Gao
Nature Communications volume 13, Article number: 3686 (2022)
*Abstract*
The evaporative loss from global lakes (natural and artificial) is a
critical component of the terrestrial water and energy balance. However,
the evaporation volume of these water bodies—from the spatial
distribution to the long-term trend—is as of yet unknown. Here, using
satellite observations and modeling tools, we quantified the evaporation
volume from 1.42 million global lakes from 1985 to 2018. We find that
the long-term average lake evaporation is 1500 ± 150 km3 year−1 and it
has increased at a rate of 3.12 km3 year−1. The trend attributions
include an increasing evaporation rate (58%), decreasing lake ice
coverage (23%), and increasing lake surface area (19%). While only
accounting for 5% of the global lake storage capacity, artificial lakes
(i.e., reservoirs) contribute 16% to the evaporation volume. Our results
underline the importance of using evaporation volume, rather than
evaporation rate, as the primary index for assessing climatic impacts on
lake systems.

*Introduction*
Covering about 5 million km2 of the Earth’s land area, lakes (natural
and artificial) are key components of global ecological and hydrological
systems1,2,3,4. Lakes support aquatic and terrestrial biodiversity, and
are an important water resource for humans5,6. Due to their large open
water areas—and the strong vapor pressure gradient at the
water-atmosphere interface—lakes can lose a massive volume of water
through evaporation (i.e., latent heat flux)7,8. The dynamics of lake
evaporative water loss depend on water area and evaporation rate, both
of which vary by geographical location and are sensitive to the
manifestations of a complex changing environment9. For instance,
evaporation rate can be altered by warming temperatures10,11 and by
elevated solar radiation8, while open water areas can increase from
shrinking lake ice cover12 or decrease from extreme drought
conditions13. Thus, it is crucial to understand the spatiotemporal
changes and drivers of evaporative water loss from lakes for better
aquatic ecosystem and water resources management.

/[  Climate Scientist post a serious scientific explanation  ] /
*A new entry titled ‘The CO2 problem in six easy steps (2022 Update)’
has been posted to RealClimate.*
You can view it from this link :
https://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2022/07/the-cos2-problem-in-six-easy-steps-2022-update/

/[  the conclusion to this article says it all  (Thanks JN)  ]
/*How One Restaurateur Transformed America’s Energy Industry*
Charif Souki’s longshot bet on liquid natural gas, or L.N.G., paid off
handsomely — and turned the United States into a leading fossil-fuel
exporter.
/- - [ concluding paragraphs  ]/
“All of a sudden, Europe has put all of its climate aspiration on the
back burner,” he told me, reviewing the early events of the war.
Countries like the Czech Republic, Italy and Romania were warning that
they might have to reactivate their shuttered coal plants or extend the
life spans of those that had been scheduled to close. “We’re going to
need gas,” he said, “especially if you’re serious about climate issues.”

He was quick to clarify that this wasn’t his concern. “As a company, I
couldn’t care less about the climate,” he said. “Of course I care, OK?
But my responsibility is not to care about the climate. My job is to
make a product that people need and sell it to them at the cheapest
possible price to me.” This was not going to be very difficult, provided
Souki could finish his new facility. By the summer, gas prices in Europe
were six times as high as in the United States; once Souki’s terminal
was up and running, he would be able to reap the entirety of that price
differential, a jaw-dropping arbitrage. Yet again, he would have proved
everyone wrong.

Still, the facility in Louisiana would need to export gas for years to
pay itself off, which meant that Tellurian would need to keep fracking
more gas to supply it, and that people around the world would need to
keep buying and burning that gas, dumping more methane and carbon
dioxide into the atmosphere. Souki’s gamble depended on the energy
transition moving at a very specific pace, neither too fast nor too slow
— his customers were countries that wanted to move away from the
dirtiest fuels but weren’t ready or willing to shift toward altogether
clean energy. For as long as the transition moved at this halting pace,
it would be gamblers and tycoons like him who set the course of global
climate policy, selling people the fuels they wanted for as long as they
wanted them. Souki himself might have an exit strategy, but the industry
he created would outlast him, spraying flames into the night sky for
decades to come.

I asked Souki what he thought the long-term trajectory of the L.N.G.
boom might be. The fuel might be necessary right now, but what about in
20, 30, 40 years? He was betting that the world wasn’t ready to give up
fossil fuels. But someday it would, and the facilities he built would be
effectively useless. What would happen then?

He smirked and waved his hand, as if to swat the question away.

“I’ll be dead,” he said, “so it won’t matter.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/06/magazine/us-export-liquid-natural-gas.html

- -

/[ important quote from Harvard Business Review]/
*"If we choose to enrich our lives in the present at the cost of the
quality of life of future generations, that is a choice of values that
we rarely like to make explicitly. We have to be willing to look in the
mirror and say that we are willing to live our lives selfishly, without
regard to the lives of our children and grandchildren. And if we are not
willing to own that selfish value, then we have to make a change in our
behavior today." * Art Markman, PhD,  in Harvard Business Review 2018

/[  something different -  reaching into the future ] /
*War Virtually: Can Military Attempts to “Predict the Future” Have
Crossover to Climate Predictions*
Jul 10, 2022  Within the Pentagon and US Department of Defence Agencies,
there is an ongoing quest to automate conflict, militarize data, and
predict the future.

A new book (2022) called “War Virtually” by Anthropologist Roberto J.
Gonzalez delves into this mostly secretive quest.

I was wondering whether the “predict the future” part examined abrupt
climate system change as the core for these predictions, and was very
surprised to find out that climate was hardly considered, if at all.

I discuss the details of what is actually considered, and really wonder
what is going on and why climate change is hardly even mentioned.

As you probably already know, I always have multiple books on the go. As
well as War Virtually, I highly recommend the fiction by Clive Cussler
called “Arctic Drift” published in 2008; it is chock full of Arctic and
Canadian settings, and covers Arctic sea ice and science quite well. I
also recommend Erik Larson’s 2020 non-fiction called “The Splendid and
the Vile” covering Sir Winston Churchill WWII leadership and the darkest
days for Britain in 1939 and 1940 as they stood alone and withstood the
German Blitzkrieg and Luftwaffe military might. Another great read, and
great insights into the true leadership of Churchill. Very sad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-jdNQed8pM

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*July 12, 2013*/
July 12, 2013: USA Today reports:

    "U.S. energy supplies will likely face more severe disruptions
    because of climate change and extreme weather, which have already
    caused blackouts and lowered production at power plants, a
    government report warned Thursday.

    "What's driving these vulnerabilities? Rising temperatures, up 1.5
    degrees Fahrenheit in the last century, and the resulting sea level
    rise, which are accompanied by drought, heat waves, storms and
    wildfires, according to the U.S. Department of Energy."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/11/climate-change-energy-disruptions/2508789/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*