[✔️] July 24, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sun Jul 24 09:25:30 EDT 2022

/*July 24, 2022*/

/[  ] /

/[  This is an easy idea, since it is inevitable that the fossil fuel
industry will disappear completely.  Or be completely transformed.    We
have only to choose how and when ] /

*Opinion | Tom Nelson: Let's nationalize the oil industry*
By Tom Nelson | guest column

As Wisconsinites confront high gas prices and record inflation and the
world suffers from record heat waves, hurricanes and forest fires, I
called for the only solution to get us out of this mess: the
nationalization of the oil industry. I am the only Senate candidate in
the country to have done so.

I’m told nationalization is a radical concept. Hardly. Our country has
nationalized hundreds of companies and industries over the years, like
GM and Chrysler during the Great Recession (2009) and financial
institutions during the savings and loans scandal (1989). President
Roosevelt converted scores of manufacturers of everyday household items
into armaments factories during World War II.

Few commodities are more integral to life in our country than oil. Few
commodities can bring an economy crashing down or pinch working families
so tight. Households spend an estimated $5,000 per year on gasoline.

Fossil fuel dependency undermines national security. We will always be
dependent on the Russians, Saudis and other pariah states until we break
our dependence on oil. (We went to war twice in the Middle East because
of oil.) Count on U.S. presidents to keep fist-bumping crown princes who
greenlight assassinations of journalists and conduct illegal wars — with
U.S. armaments — to lower gas prices in the name of shoring up approval
ratings and improving political fortunes.

Fossil fuels are the number-one contributor to climate change. If global
warming continues unabated, huge swaths of the planet will be
uninhabitable by the end of the century. Europe is already suffering an
unprecedented heat wave and states of emergency have been declared in
many countries.

We can do better. We must do better.

We can lower gas prices, stick it to Putin, strengthen national security
and heal the planet by nationalizing the oil industry.

Here’s how: Meet consumer demand with massive investments in renewable
energy. The more money we pour into wind or solar or electric vehicles
the cheaper prices will be in the short term and the sooner we can fully
transition to a green energy economy. In the meantime, we can maintain
oil production knowing that it will soon fall. Moreover we can use
proceeds (i.e. profits) to further invest in green technology,
businesses and supply chains — all built with the hands and minds of
Americans — a virtuous cycle that would continue well past net-zero
targets are met and climate restoration work is underway.

The oil industry is on the ropes and it's only a matter of time before
it is bailed out or nationalized. Since 2015 there have been 560 North
America-based oil company bankruptcies. Meanwhile the federal government
continues to shovel billions in public subsidies to keep the other
companies afloat.

Bankruptcies, tax giveaways, high gas prices, compromised national
security, global warming: That’s the price of continuing down our
current path. The industry needs to be put out of its misery and placed
into the hands of the people.

Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson is a Democratic candidate for U.S.
Senate.

Share your opinion on this topic by sending a letter to the editor to
tctvoice at madison.com. Include your full name, hometown and phone number.
Your name and town will be published. The phone number is for
verification purposes only. Please keep your letter to 250 words or less.

At the U.S. Senate debate, Tom brought up nationalizing the oil industry
and then wrote an OpEd. In case of interest.

https://twitter.com/nelsonforwi/status/1550565338424672258?s=21&t=Y8k8a_Cfnza2ECbFAQmvQg

https://captimes.com/opinion/guest-columns/opinion-tom-nelson-lets-nationalize-the-oil-industry/article_896e77ba-e1dd-52e5-9f75-eeaef21ef8f3.html

/[ clips from an  article  adapted from Madeline Ostrander’s forthcoming
book At Home on an Unruly Planet: Finding Refuge on a Changed Earth////] /

*The Era of Climate Change Has Created a New Emotion*
What word might describe losing your home while staying in one place?

By Madeline Ostrander
JULY 23, 2022
- -

In moments of collective distress, people have tried to name the pain
that comes from the disruption of home: a complex set of feelings that
includes longing, love, grief, existential angst, and even a lurking
sense of dread. Loss of home can evoke the pain of dispossession,
profound cultural and personal disorientation, and righteous anger, all
of which can haunt a society for generations.

-- -
After the English invaded Wales in the 1200s, the word hiraeth
(pronounced “here-eyeth”) became a fixture in the Welsh language, in
part to express the societal disruption of living under colonial rule.
“Hiraeth is a protest,” writes the essayist Pamela Petro. “It’s a
sickness [that comes on] because home isn’t the place it should have
been.” In 1688, Johannes Hofer, then a medical student at the University
of Basel in Switzerland, assembled a set of case studies to document the
pain of home disruption. Hofer was born in southern Alsace two decades
after the Thirty Years’ War—a conflict that turned the region into “a
smoldering land, amputated of half its population,” writes the historian
Thomas Dodman, and left this part of Europe in a state of economic
stagnation and political instability. Later, Hofer’s hometown became a
sanctuary to refugees fleeing religious persecution in France. At the
time, young Swiss mercenaries, hired out across Western Europe,
reportedly suffered a common, chronic heartbreak, la maladie du pays,
literally “the disease of the country” in French, or Heimweh, “home-woe”
in Swiss German. Hofer gave a scientific name to the pain of home loss
that he had witnessed throughout his life. He called it nostalgia,
derived from Greek, “composed of two sounds, the one of which is Nosos
[now more often spelled nostos], return to the native land; the other,
Algos, signifies suffering or grief,” he wrote.

To Hofer, nostalgia was also a medical condition whose symptoms included
fever, nausea, sleep disturbance, fatigue, and respiratory problems,
along with “palpitations of the heart, frequent sighs, also stupidity of
the mind.” Untreated, it could be fatal, and there were documented
deaths among Swiss soldiers attributed to this malady. By the 19th
century, the symptoms of nostalgia included “tachycardia, skin rashes,
hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating), hearing difficulties, convulsions,
heartburn, vomiting, diarrhea, and any rales or wheezing that a
stethoscope might pick up in the chest,” according to Dodman. We would
probably now attribute many of these symptoms to other psychological
ailments, such as post-traumatic stress disorder.

In the 20th century, the meaning of nostalgia became more detached from
home; instead, it signified a longing for the real or imagined comforts
of the past.

But in discarding the original notion of nostalgia, we may have
underestimated the impact that place and home have on the human body and
our ability to navigate our lives. Having a home is part of human
well-being; when home is disrupted, it can make us literally sick. It is
a kind of trauma. The social psychiatrist Mindy Fullilove has described
the pain felt by displaced communities—especially Black communities
uprooted because of gentrification, discrimination, and urban
development—as “root shock,” or “the traumatic stress reaction to the
loss of some or all of one’s emotional ecosystem.” In an era of climate
crisis, we will have to reckon with new complexities in our
relationships to home, and even more people will experience the shock of
being uprooted. In the long run, if we fail to address the crisis,
hardly any safe refuge will be left.

Like Hofer, Albrecht thought it would be useful to name the experience
of watching one’s home environment unravel. Around the turn of the
millennium, he decided to coin his own word. (There are words in
Indigenous languages that could have filled the gap, but none had yet
migrated into the English language.) “With my wife Jill, I sat at the
dining table at home and explored numerous possibilities. One word,
‘nostalgia,’ came to our attention as it was once a concept linked to …
homesickness,” he wrote. Hunter Region residents were homesick, but they
hadn’t gone anywhere—the place they lived in just no longer offered the
kind of comfort, solace, or safety one would expect from home. Albrecht
came up with the word solastalgia, using the suffix -algia, meaning
“pain,” and the same Latin root in the words solace, console, and
desolation. In Latin, solacium means “comfort,” and desolare, “to leave
alone,” so the word solastalgia suggested the loss of comfort, the
loneliness of being estranged from home. He published the first academic
paper on the idea in 2005.

Some neologisms never make it out of the realm of private conversation,
and some molder in the corners of academic journals as useless jargon.
But occasionally a word like this catches a bit of zeitgeist, like wind,
and gets borne aloft into the culture at large.

Over the next several years, Albrecht’s mellifluous word seemed to tap
into a kind of angst about life on a warming planet. A British trip-hop
band produced an instrumental track called “Solastalgia,” and a
Slovenian artist recorded an album also called Solastalgia. At the
beginning of 2010, The New York Times Magazine ran a profile of Albrecht
and commissioned the sculptor Kate MacDowell to create a porcelain
representation of solastalgia—a brain full of delicate trees and
Australian wildlife.

The neologism also offered a useful means of describing and studying how
the impacts of climate change reach beyond tangible, physical, and
economic damages. A team of social scientists identified feelings of
solastalgia among people from rural northern Ghana, a region devastated
by climate change–related drought and crop failure. A collaboration of
environmental scientists and public-health researchers observed
solastalgia in communities affected by hurricanes and oil spills in the
Gulf of Mexico. A Los Angeles physician named David Eisenman stumbled
across the idea of solastalgia when interviewing survivors of the 2011
Wallow Fire, the largest wildfire on record in Arizona. Over and over,
he heard them express “the sense that they were grieving [for the
landscape] like for a loved one.” He and his team found that the more
uneasy they felt about the landscape itself, the more at risk they were
for other kinds of psychological distress.

Writers, artists, and scholars are now talking more openly about the
emotions of the climate crisis. We have even more ways to name the
experiences of people living through mega-disasters and the slow
attrition of beloved places—including climate grief, ecological grief,
and environmental melancholia. In a 2020 survey by the American
Psychological Association, more than two-thirds of American adults said
they’d experienced “eco-anxiety.” We are moving into an era defined by
homesickness.

Does it matter if we name or even notice this kind of angst?

Recent years have made it abundantly clear how much our actual, physical
homes and lives are at risk, all over the world. In 2019 alone, 24.9
million people around the globe were effectively evicted from their
homes by natural disasters and climate-change impacts. Communities that
survive disasters, both large and small, face damage that is hard to
even tally. Various economists have tried to estimate the harm of
climate change to our societies in monetary terms. Others have made
calculations of potential economic losses based on factors such as
wage-earning potential and gross domestic product. The world could lose
up to 18 percent of GDP by 2050 if nothing is done about climate change.
But such calculations strike me as profound underestimates of a
phenomenon that could easily tear apart the basic fabric of our
societies, economically and physically.

In the past several years, a whole field of study has emerged to
quantify the intangible losses associated with climate change. Losses
related to culture, identity, heritage, emotional well-being, and the
sacredness or spirituality of people’s relationship to a place or a
community—not to mention experiences such as the joy, love, beauty, or
inspiration found in a cherished landscape—are nearly impossible to
quantify in economic terms. So scholars of intangible loss are now
trying to find other ways to account for them, formally, for the
Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. “We have to find a better way
to make visible what is often overlooked, ridiculed, dismissed as too
personal, not generalizable, not quantifiable,” says Petra Tschakert,
who is a geography professor at Curtin University, in Australia, and who
has also studied solastalgia in Ghana.

Even these measures, though, do not quite capture what I have long
wondered: Have we failed in some more personal realm? Have too many of
us convinced ourselves for too long that climate change is the problem
of others and that the storms will never rattle our own roof? And if we
all faced our grief, would we find the collective will to take the kind
of drastic action required to stanch the destruction?

In 2013, I met Glenn Albrecht while I was on a writing fellowship in
Perth, a city of Spanish-style architecture, white-sand beaches,
brightly colored wild cockatoos, and some of the most profuse
biodiversity of any city in the world. He had moved back to the
country’s west coast in 2009 to take a post as a professor of
sustainability at Murdoch University and was living with and caring for
his elderly mother in a house about 30 miles outside Perth that they had
nicknamed Birdland. He had also broadened his work beyond solastalgia
and was creating an entire lexicon of polysyllabic words related to
climate change. At a seminar at a local university, I watched him—a
gangly, energetic man—urge the few dozen people in the room to pronounce
several other neologisms, waving his arms like a drum major as we
sounded out in unison “SUM-BI-OS-IT-Y,” sumbiosity, which refers to a
utopian-sounding state in which people live in balance with Earth. (I
had doubts about whether this word would catch on, though I appreciated
the sentiment.)

Meanwhile, the idea of solastalgia has taken on a life of its own, and
in the Hunter, the concept had been used in a 2013 court ruling to stop
the expansion of a coal mine by the company Rio Tinto: The solastalgic
pain of local residents was named as one of several reasons to halt the
project. Albrecht had testified on the negative impacts on citizens and
how the project would likely make one village unlivable. It was maybe
the first time that something as intangible as love of home had nearly
as much legal standing as pure economics. The decision was overturned
again in 2015, but the community group there has continued to try to
fight the mine.

After Albrecht’s mother died, he returned to southeastern Australia
full-time in 2014—to a place at the edge of the Hunter Region that he
and his wife named Wallaby Farm, where they could live nearly off the
grid with solar power and a farm full of fruits, herbs, and vegetables.
But in 2019, wildfires raged around his property—part of the massive
outbreak of flames called the Black Summer that would devastate much of
Australia and draw international attention. One fire ignited about a
mile from Albrecht’s house. Albrecht wore a face mask much of that
season to cope with the searing smoke. He kept watch for any embers that
might drift through the air and alight on his property. When I spoke
with him not long thereafter, he said, “We’re actually in the process of
trying to sell it and move. We’re being driven out by climate change.”
(I later heard that he and his wife had stayed put.)
- -
In our interview—just after the explosion of the coronavirus outbreak
worldwide—he took the same slightly detached, professorial tone that I
had always heard from him. I couldn’t hear his emotion in his voice.
“The bushfires were a massive psychoterratic experience,” he observed,
drawing on another Latinate word he had coined. I asked him about a post
he had placed on Facebook during the height of the fires. It was full of
expletives and occupied some space between humor and rage. “The land
that we love is being fried … because the joint is getting fucking
hotter,” he had proclaimed. This post was, he said, an expression of his
anger in the Australian vernacular.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/07/climate-change-damage-displacement-solastalgia/670614/

/[ Dr Jennifer Francis explains the science of the stratospheric polar
vortex - video interview ] /
*The Arctic Meltdown: Why It Matters to Us All | Dr. Jennifer Francis |
28th Kuehnast Lecture*
Oct 29, 2021  (Talk by Dr. Jennifer Francis begins at 10:47.)
The 28th Kuehnast Lecture in the Fields of Meteorology and Climatology

The Arctic seems very far away, but the momentous changes occurring
there affect us all. Global warming, sea-level rise, tropical storms,
and extreme weather events are all connected to the rapidly melting and
warming Arctic. I'll discuss recent research into this "hot" topic.

Event Speaker
Dr. Jennifer Francis is Acting Deputy Director and Senior Scientist at
Woodwell Climate Research Center in Falmouth, Massachusetts. Her
interest in Arctic weather and climate was sparked by a summer spent
sailing near Svalbard in her twenties. Throughout her career, she has
pioneered the use of satellite data to understand the dramatic changes
taking place in the Arctic, and how disproportionate warming there is
affecting temperate regions on Earth—where billions of people live. Her
groundbreaking work suggests that rapid Arctic warming may be linked to
shifting weather patterns in North America and Eurasia, driving more
persistent weather regimes that can generate periods of extreme
temperature and/or precipitation.

Dr. Francis’ work has sparked scientific debate and drawn public
attention. Dr. Francis is frequently quoted in major media outlets and
has authored two articles in Scientific American. She testified to the
U.S. House of Representatives Science Committee in 2019 and to the
Senate Committee on the Environment and Public Works in 2013.

Sailing has been an enduring source of inspiration for Dr. Francis’
work. She has circumnavigated the globe and currently lives aboard her
sailboat, Saphira.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJPPvKu1-xk&t=38s

/[from a news archive - gosh, whatever happened to this ad campaign? ]/
/*July 24, 2000*/

*July 24, 2000: BP launches its controversial "Beyond Petroleum"
advertising campaign.*

http://web.archive.org/web/20010525195935/http://www.commondreams.org/news2001/0508-09.htm

http://youtu.be/GVsPT6ePKPw -- this is a great video from a fossil fuel
company.

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*