[✔️] July 25, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Mon Jul 25 07:08:37 EDT 2022

/*July 25, 2022*/

/[ Michael Mann video commentary  ]/
*Global climate crisis hits home in the U.S. amid record heat and
pervasive wildfires*
15,779 views  Jul 24, 2022  A fast-spreading wildfire burning out of
control in California on the doorstep of Yosemite National Park has
forced thousands to flee their homes. Hot and dry conditions, linked to
climate change, are making it a tough fire to fight. Michael Mann, a
professor of atmospheric science at Penn State University and author of
“The New Climate War,” joins Geoff Bennett to discuss climate change's role.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM0QOfh7ZqY

/[   Homeland Security News Wire   ] /
*When Disaster Strikes, Some Americans May Not Be Ready*
Study identifies the ‘socially vulnerable’ who aren’t prepared:
Researchers found that households led by women, those with children
under age 18, renters, those of low socioeconomic status, African
Americans and Asians were all less likely than others to be at least
minimally prepared for disasters.

A new national study shows which Americans are least likely to be
prepared to take necessary actions when faced with disasters such as
hurricanes, floods and wildfires.

Researchers found that households led by women, those with children
under age 18, renters, those of low socioeconomic status, African
Americans and Asians were all less likely than others to be at least
minimally prepared for disasters.

People in these groups need special attention before disasters occur to
make sure they have the tools necessary to respond, said Smitha Rao,
lead author of the study and assistant professor of social work at The
Ohio State University.

“Focusing on vulnerable groups, understanding their specific barriers,
and connecting them to resources within the community are key strategies
to ensure no one is left behind when disaster strikes,” Rao said.

The study appears in the July 2022 issue of the International Journal of
Disaster Risk Reduction. Other co-authors were Fiona Doherty, a doctoral
student in social work at Ohio State, and Samantha Teixeira, associate
professor of social work at Boston College.

The researchers used data from the 2018 Federal Emergency Management
Agency National Household Survey. The survey involved a nationally
representative sample of 4,743 respondents from across the country who
were asked a variety of questions about their preparedness for disasters.

The issue is becoming increasingly crucial in the United States, Rao said.

2021 came in second to 2020 in terms of the number of billion-dollar
disasters in the United States (20 in 2021, 22 in 2020), according to a
federal government report. Even more ominous is the fact that there were
123 separate billion-dollar disasters in the 2010s, versus only 29 in
the 1980s.

“For many Americans, it is not a question of if you’re going to be
impacted by a disaster, but when,” she said.

For the new study, Rao and her colleagues considered people ‘minimally
prepared’ if they had the most essential elements necessary for
immediate evacuation or sheltering in place for three days.  These
included emergency funds, access to supplies to get through three days
without power or running water, and access to transportation.

“It really is just the minimum.  We should all have a ‘go bag’ with
non-perishable foods, important medications, a flashlight and some
emergency cash,” she said.

In addition to looking at the preparation status of socially vulnerable
groups, the researchers also examined socio-cognitive factors that could
be associated with preparedness.

Results showed that a belief in the usefulness of preparing for
disasters was associated with being at least adequately prepared.

Those who had less confidence in their personal ability to act in the
face of an emergency were less likely to be minimally prepared.

“Confidence was an important aspect of being prepared. We can’t tell for
sure from these data, but part of this may be how much confidence they
have that government institutions will help them when necessary,” Rao said.

“Socially vulnerable groups that we found were less likely to be
minimally prepared may also lack confidence in institutions that are
supposed to help during disasters.”

It was no surprise that lower socioeconomic groups were less likely to
be prepared for disasters, she said.

Those who are struggling to meet day-to-day needs often don’t have the
ability and resources to plan for everyday events, let alone for
disasters, Rao said.

But the findings showed that even a slight jump from the lowest income
group was associated with a higher readiness score in the study’s sample.

Another key finding was that those survey participants who had received
information related to disaster preparedness within the last six months
were more likely to be prepared.

“But more than half of the sample – 56% - reported not receiving any
information on preparedness in the past six months, so this is an
important area of intervention,” Rao said.

Overall, the results suggest that social workers and other health and
helping professionals should work specifically with the groups
identified in this study to help them become prepared before disasters
occur.

“Disasters don’t affect everyone evenly,” Rao said. “We need to find
ways to help those who are most at risk of the consequences of disasters.”
https://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20220719-when-disaster-strikes-some-americans-may-not-be-ready

/[  ouch... The Chris Hedges Report  ] /
*The Dawn of the Apocalypse*
We were warned for decades about the death march we are on because of
global warming. And yet, the global ruling class continues to frog-march
us towards extinction.
Chris Hedges
July 24, 2022
The past week has seen record-breaking heat waves across Europe.
Wildfires have ripped through Spain, Portugal and France. London’s fire
brigade experienced its busiest day since World War II. The U.K. saw its
hottest day on record of 104.54 Fahrenheit. In China, more than a dozen
cities issued the “highest possible heat warning” this weekend with over
900 million people in China enduring a scorching heat wave along with
severe flooding and landslides across large swathes of southern China.
Dozens of people have died. Millions of Chinese have been displaced.
Economic losses run into the billions of yuan. Droughts, which have
destroyed crops, killed livestock and forced many to flee their homes,
are creating a potential famine in the Horn of Africa. More than 100
million people in the United States are under heat alerts in more than
two dozen states from temperatures in the mid-to-upper 90s and low 100s.
Wildfires have destroyed thousands of acres in California. More than 73
percent of New Mexico is suffering from an “extreme” or “severe”
drought. Thousands of people had to flee from a fast-moving brush fire
near Yosemite National Park on Saturday and 2,000 homes and businesses
lost power.

It is not as if we were not warned. It is not as if we lacked scientific
evidence. It is not as if we could not see the steady ecological
degeneration and species extinction. And yet, we did not act. The result
will be mass death with victims dwarfing the murderous rampages of
fascism, Stalinism and Mao Zedong’s China combined. The desperate
response is to burn more coal, especially with the soaring cost of
natural gas and oil, and extend the life of nuclear power plants to
sustain the economy and produce cool air. It is a self-defeating
response. Joe Biden has approved more new oil drilling permits than
Donald Trump. Once the power outages begin, as in India, the heat waves
will exact a grim toll.

“Half of humanity is in the danger zone, from floods, droughts, extreme
storms and wildfires,” U.N Secretary General António Guterres told
ministers from 40 countries meeting to discuss the climate crisis on
July 18. “No nation is immune. Yet we continue to feed our fossil fuel
addiction.”

“We have a choice,” he added. “Collective action or collective suicide.”

The Anthropocene Age – the age of humans, which has caused extinctions
of plant and animal species and the pollution of the soil, air and
oceans – is accelerating. Sea levels are rising three times faster than
predicted. The arctic ice is vanishing at rates that were unforeseen.
Even if we stop carbon emissions today – we have already reached 419
parts per million – carbon dioxide concentrations will continue to climb
to as high as 550 ppm because of heat trapped in the oceans. Global
temperatures, even in the most optimistic of scenarios, will rise for at
least another century. This assumes we confront this crisis. The earth
is becoming inhospitable to most life.

The average global temperature has risen by about 1.1 Celsius (1.9
degrees Fahrenheit) since 1880. We are approaching a tipping point of 2
degrees Celsius when the biosphere will become so degraded nothing can
save us.

The ruling class for decades denied the reality of the climate crisis or
acknowledged the crisis and did nothing. We sleepwalked into
catastrophe. Record heat waves. Monster droughts. Shifts in rainfall
patterns. Declining crop yields. The melting of the polar ice caps and
glaciers resulting in sea level rise. Flooding. Wildfires. Pandemics.
The breakdown of supply chains. Mass migrations. Expanding deserts. The
acidification of the oceans that extinguishes sea life, the food source
for billions of people. Feedback loops will see one environmental
catastrophe worsen another environmental catastrophe. The breakdown will
be nonlinear. These are the harbingers of the future.

Social coercion and the rule of law will disintegrate. This is taking
place in many parts of the global south. A ruthless security and
surveillance apparatus, along with heavily militarized police, will turn
industrial nations into climate fortresses to keep out refugees and
prevent uprisings by an increasingly desperate public. The ruling
oligarchs will retreat to protected compounds where they will have
access to services and amenities, including food, water and medical
care, denied to the rest of us.

Voting, lobbying, petitioning, donating to environmental lobby groups,
divestment campaigns and protesting to force the global ruling class to
address the climate catastrophe proved no more effective than scrofula
victims’ superstitious appeals to Henry VIII to cure them with a royal
touch. In 1900 the burning of fossil fuel – mostly coal – produced about
2 billion tons of carbon dioxide a year. That number had risen threefold
by 1950. Today the level is 20 times higher than the 1900 figure. During
the last 60 years the increase in CO2 was an estimated 100 times faster
than what the earth experienced during the transition from the last ice
age.

The last time the earth’s temperature rose 4 degrees Celsius, the polar
ice caps did not exist and the seas were hundreds of feet above their
current levels.
- -
There are three mathematical models for the future: a massive die-off of
perhaps 70 percent of the human population and then an uneasy
stabilization; extinction of humans and most other species; an immediate
and radical reconfiguration of human society to protect the biosphere.
This third scenario is dependent on an immediate halt to the production
and consumption of fossil fuels, converting to a plant-based diet to end
the animal agriculture industry – almost as large a contributor to
greenhouse gasses as the fossil fuel industry – greening the deserts and
restoring rainforests.

We knew for decades what harnessing a hundred million years of sunlight
stored in the form of coal and petroleum would do to the climate. As
early as the 1930s British engineer Guy Stewart Callendar suggested that
increased CO2 was warming the planet. In the late 1970s into the 1980s,
scientists at companies such as Exxon and Shell determined that the
burning of fossil fuels was contributing to rising global temperature.

“[T]here is concern among some scientific groups that once the effects
are measurable, they might not be reversible and little could be done to
correct the situation in the short term,” a 1982 internal briefing for
Exxon’s management noted.

NASA’s Dr. James Hansen told the U.S. Senate in 1988 that the buildup of
CO2 and other gasses were behind the rise in heat.

But by 1989 Exxon, Shell and other fossil fuel corporations decided the
risks to their profits from major curbs in fossil fuel extraction and
consumption was unacceptable. They invested in heavy lobbying and
funding of faux research and propaganda campaigns to discredit the
science on the climate emergency.

Christian Parenti in his book Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the
New Geography of Violence quotes from “The Age of Consequences: The
Foreign Policy and National Security Implications of Global Climate
Change,” a 2007 report produced by the Center for Strategic and
International Studies and the Center for a New American Security. R.
James Woolsey, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency,
writes in the report’s final section:

In a world that sees two meter sea level rise, with continued flooding
ahead, it will take extraordinary effort for the United States, or
indeed any country, to look beyond its own salvation. All of the ways in
which human beings have dealt with natural disasters in the past…could
come together in one conflagration: rage at government’s inability to
deal with the abrupt and unpredictable crises; religious fervor, perhaps
even a dramatic rise in millennial end-of-day cults; hostility and
violence towards migrants and minority groups, at a time of demographic
change and increased global migration; intra-and interstate conflict
over resources, particularly food and fresh water. Altruism and
generosity would likely be blunted.

The profits from fossil fuels, and the lifestyle the burning of fossil
fuels afforded to the privileged on the planet, overroad a rational
response. The failure is homicidal.

Clive Hamilton in his Requiem for a Species: Why We Resist the Truth
About Climate Change describes a dark relief that comes from accepting
that “catastrophic climate change is virtually certain.”

“But accepting intellectually is not the same as accepting emotionally
the possibility that the world as we know it is headed for a horrible
end,” Hamilton writes. “It’s the same with our own deaths; we all
‘accept’ that we will die, but it is only when death is imminent that we
confront the true meaning of our mortality.”

Environmental campaigners, from The Sierra Club to 350.org, woefully
misread the global ruling class, believing they could be pressured or
convinced to carry out the seismic reconfigurations to halt the descent
into a climate hell. These environmental organizations believed in
empowering people through hope, even if the hope was based on a lie.
They were unable or unwilling to speak the truth. These climate
“Pollyannas,” as Hamilton calls them, “adopt the same tactic as
doom-mongers, but in reverse. Instead of taking a very small risk of
disaster and exaggerating it, they take a very high risk of disaster and
minimize it.”

Humans have inhabited cities and states for 6,000 years, “a mere 0.2
percent of the two and a half million years since our first ancestor
sharpened a stone,” the anthropologist Ronald Wright notes in A Short
History of Progress. The myriad of civilizations built over these 6,000
years have all decayed and collapsed, most through a thoughtless
depletion of the natural resources that sustained them.

The latest iteration of global civilization was dominated by Europeans,
who used industrial warfare and genocide to control much of the planet.
Europeans and Euro-Americans launched a 500-year-long global rampage of
conquering, plundering, looting, exploiting and polluting the earth – as
well as killing the indigenous communities, the caretakers of the
environment for thousands of years – that stood in the way. The mania
for ceaseless economic expansion and exploitation, accelerated by the
Industrial Revolution two and a half centuries ago, has become a curse,
a death sentence.

Anthropologists, including Joseph Tainter in The Collapse of Complex
Societies, Charles L. Redman in Human Impact on Ancient Environments and
Ronald Wright in A Short History of Progress, have laid out the familiar
patterns that lead to systems breakdown. Civilizations, as Tainter
writes, are “fragile, impermanent things.” Collapse, he writes, “is a
recurrent feature of human societies.”

This time the whole planet will go down. There will, with this final
collapse, be no new lands left to exploit, no new peoples to subjugate
or new civilizations to replace the old. We will have used up the
world’s resources, leaving the planet as desolate as the final days of a
denuded Easter Island.

Collapse comes throughout human history to complex societies not long
after they reach their period of greatest magnificence and prosperity.

“One of the most pathetic aspects of human history is that every
civilization expresses itself most pretentiously, compounds its partial
and universal values most convincingly, and claims immortality for its
finite existence at the very moment when the decay which leads to death
has already begun,” the theologian Reinhold Niebuhr writes in Beyond
Tragedy: Essays on the Christian Interpretation of Tragedy.

The very things that cause societies to prosper in the short run,
especially new ways to exploit the environment such as the invention of
irrigation or use of fossil fuels, lead to disaster in the long run.
This is what Wright calls the “progress trap.”

“We have set in motion an industrial machine of such complexity and such
dependence on expansion,” Wright notes, “that we do not know how to make
do with less or move to a steady state in terms of our demands on nature.”

The U.S. military, intent on dominating the globe, is the single largest
institutional emitter of greenhouse gasses, according to a report from
Brown University. This is the same military that has designated global
warming a “threat multiplier” and “an accelerant of instability or
conflict.”

The powerlessness many will feel in the face of ecological and economic
chaos will unleash further collective delusions, such as fundamentalist
beliefs in a god or gods who will come back to earth and save us. The
Christian right provides a haven for this magical thinking. Crisis cults
spread rapidly among Native American societies in the later part of the
19th century as the buffalo herds and the remaining tribes faced
extermination. The Ghost Dance held out the hope that all the horrors of
white civilization — the railroads, the murderous cavalry units, the
timber merchants, the mine speculators, the hated tribal agencies, the
barbed wire, the machine guns, even the white man himself — would
disappear. Our psychological hard wiring is no different.

The greatest existential crisis of our time is to at once be willing to
accept the bleakness before us and resist. The global ruling class has
forfeited its legitimacy and credibility. It must be replaced. This will
require sustained mass civil disobedience, such as those mounted by
Extinction Rebellion, to drive the global rulers from power. Once the
rulers see us as a real threat they will become vicious, even barbaric,
in their efforts to cling to their positions of privilege and power. We
may not succeed in halting the death march, but let those who come after
us, especially our children, say we tried.
https://chrishedges.substack.com/p/the-dawn-of-the-apocalypse

/[   5 min video top climate scientist  "resonance amplification" ] /
*Michael Mann on The Weather Channel Talking About Record Heat and
Climate Change Jul 20 2022*
Jul 24, 2022  This giant mirror https://www.meer.org/ will stop the
fires floods and hurricanes immediately
But those aren’t what scientists are really afraid of..  im not a
scientist so here I will let Exeter University Professor Peter Cox
Explain the urgency of this situation https://youtu.be/_QKUO0B24PE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaw08o8Qhrc

/- -
/

/[  YouTube likes to delete content  ] /
*Methane Apocalypse Now : Peter Cox in 2005 - Siberian Sea RiGHT NOW! *
https://youtu.be/_QKUO0B24PE

- -

/[ another 5 min clip ]/
*Fossil Methane Venting into the Atmosphere - Not Predicted So Not in
Climate Computer Models*
Feb 10, 2022  Im not a scientist so here I will let Exeter University
Professor Peter Cox Explain the urgency of this situation
https://youtu.be/_QKUO0B24PE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub8sbCoJAMQ&t=1s

/[The news archive - words of Walter Sullivan - what if had heard and
acted then ]/
/*July 25, 1977*/
July 25, 1977: The New York Times runs a front-page story
entitled:*"Scientists Fear Heavy Use of Coal May Bring Adverse Shift in
Climate."*
“Highly adverse consequences” may follow if the world, as now seems
likely, depends increasingly on coal for energy over the next two
centuries, according to a blue‐ribbon panel of scientists.

    In a report to the National Academy of Sciences on their
    two‐and‐a‐half‐year study, the scientists foresee serious climate
    changes beginning in the next century. By the latter part of the 22d
    century a global warming of 10 degrees Fahrenheit is indicated, with
    triple that rise in high latitudes.

    This, it is feared, could radically disrupt food production, lead to
    a 20‐foot rise in sea level and seriously lower productivity of the
    oceans.
    The focus of concern is the addition of carbon dioxide to the
    atmosphere by fuel burning. While that gas represents less than
    one‐tenth of 1 percent of the atmosphere, it acts like glass in a
    greenhouse. That is, it permits passage of sunlight to heat the
    earth but absorbs infrared radiation that would otherwise return
    some of that heat to space.

    In recent months several scientists have warned of the consequences
    of increasing, long‐term dependence on fossil fuels, notably coal,
    as the chief energy source because of what could be disastrous
    effects on climate. The argument has been seized on by advocates of
    nuclear energy.

    The new study does not deal with alternative energy sources. Nor
    does it call for early curtailment of coal burning. Heavy use of
    such fuel is being promoted by the Carter Administration as a means
    of avoiding excessive dependence on nuclear energy.

    The central recommendation of the re port, prepared with help from a
    number of Government agencies, laboratories and computer facilities,
    is initiation of farreaching studies on a national and international
    basis to narrow the many uncertainties that affect assessment of the
    threat.

    To this end, it proposes creation by the Federal Governmment of a
    climatic council to coordinate American efforts and to participate
    in the development of international studies. Representatives of the
    White House and Government agencies that would be involved in such
    an effort were at the academy on Friday to hear presentations on the
    281‐page report.
    These were offered by Roger R. Revelle, chairman of the 15‐member
    panel, and by Philip H. Abelson and Thomas F. Malone, co‐chairmen of
    the academy's geophysics study committee, which initiated the project.

    Dr. Revelle heads the Center for Population Studies at Harvard
    University and was formerly director of the Scripps Institution of
    Oceanography in La Jolla, Calif. Dr. Abelson heads the Carnegie
    Institution of Washington. Dr. Malone, who directs the Holcomb
    Research Institute at Butler University in Indianapolis, has for
    many years been a leader in weather research.

    Dr. Malone said that the report was not a red light on coal use, nor
    a green light, but rather a “flashing yellow light” saying, “Watch
    out.” Dr. Revelle, in a summary of the findings, said that early
    action was needed because it would take decades to narrow the
    uncertainties and then a full generation to shift to new energy
    sources if that, as expected, proves necessary.

    *Problem of Change Stressed*

    “An interdisciplinary effort of an almost unique kind” is needed, he
    said, bringing together specialists from such fields as mathematics,
    chemistry, meteorology and the social sciences. A major challenge
    would be to find ways to bring about the needed institutional
    changes, persuading governments and people to act before it was too
    late.

    By the end of this century, Dr. Revelle said, it is expected that
    the carbon dioxide content of the air will have risen 25 percent
    above its level before the Industrial Revolution. By the end of the
    next century, it will have doubled, based on predicted increases in
    population and fuel consumption.

    By the middle of the 22d Century, he added, it should have increased
    from four to eight times and, even if fuel burning diminishes then,
    it will remain that high “at least 1,000 years thereafter.”

    It is estimated that in the last 110 years 127 billion tons of
    carbon derived from fuel and from limestone used to make cement have
    been introduced into the atmosphere. Cement manufacture accounted
    for 2 percent of that amount and burning for the rest.
    A considerable part of the carbon dioxide increase is attributed to
    clearing land for agriculture. This added 70 billion tons, according
    to an estimate that Dr. Revelle, however, described as “very
    uncertain.” He noted that one acre of a tropical forest removes 100
    tons of carbon from the atmosphere. When the land is cleared that
    carbon, through burning or decay, returns to the air. More than half
    of land clearing for agriculture has occurred since the mid‐19th
    Century, he said.

    Dr. Revelle termed the predicted worldwide rise of 11 degrees in the
    22d century “a very shaky conclusion” based on inadequate knowledge.
    But, he added, it is “a possibility that must be taken seriously.”
    Part of the uncertainty concerns the amount of added atmospheric
    carbon dioxide that would be absorbed by the oceans and plant
    growth. He predicted that a research program to achieve more
    reliable estimates would cost $20 million to $100 million.

    *Shift in Corn Belt Seen*

    Much of the report deals with expected effects of a global warming.
    Agricultural zones would be transferred to higher latitudes. The
    corn belt, for example, would shift from fertile Iowa to a Canadian
    region where the soil is far less fertile, Dr. Revelle said.

    Particularly vulnerable, he added, would be the fringes of arid
    regions, where a large part of the world population derives its
    sustenance, though the effect is difficult to predict. Marine life
    would suffer from lack of nutrients because a “lid” of warm water
    would impede circulation that normally brings nutrients to the surface.

    On the other hand, plant productivity, Dr. Revelle noted, could rise
    50 percent because plants would be “fertilized” by the higher carbon
    dioxide content of the air. The warmer climate could melt the
    floating pack ice of the Arctic Ocean, leading to radical changes in
    the Northern climate.

    The report suggests that increased snowfall on Antarctica could
    overload the West Antarctic ice sheet, sending large sections of it
    into the sea. This would raise global sea levels 16 feet. The oceans
    would swell from being warmed to make the total rise 20 feet.

    The study assumed a world population of 10 billion by late in the
    next century and a fivefold increase over present ener‐i gy
    consumption. The direct effect of heat from such energy use would be
    insignificant except locally, the report says.

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0F11F8395E137B93C7AB178CD85F438785F9

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*