[✔️] July 26, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Tue Jul 26 08:31:51 EDT 2022

/*July 26, 2022*/

/[ News seems to have changed its tone]/
*Climate Expert On Extreme Heat: ‘We’re Not Going To Be Able To Find
Solutions’*
Jul 19, 2022  Climate scientist Dr. Sweta Chakraborty, writer-at-large
at The Bulwark Tim Miller, NBC News Correspondent Emilie Ikeda and NBC
Foreign Correspondent Meagan Fitzgerald join Chris Jansing to discuss
the climate change-induced, record-breaking heatwave engulfing Europe.
“We need to mitigate against worst case warming scenarios because at
some point we're not going to be able to find solutions to this runaway
heat and to the many impacts of climate change that are ripple effects
from this temperature warming,” says Dr. Chakraborty. “So let's actually
proactively prepare and adapt to this new temperature point from which
we can anticipate continued and increased hot days around the world. And
let's prevent real worst case scenarios from coming into reality.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nADhWieuFLc

/[ BBC report -- video news ]/
*US consider declaring climate emergency as wildfires tear through
California - BBC News*
Jul 25, 2022  US President Joe Biden is said to be considering whether
to declare a climate emergency as wildfires tear across California.

Around 6,000 people have already been evacuated from their homes as
firefighters admit high temperatures are hampering their efforts.

A state of emergency has already been declared around Yosemite National
Park where ancient woodland and wildlife could fall victim to the fires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtF9h_JnpM0

- -

/[ Dave Roberts ]/
JUL 25
*Volts podcast: how Biden can address climate change through executive
action*
Jean Su & Maya Golden-Krasner from the Center for Biological Diversity
run it down.
David Roberts
It now seems fairly clear that no climate legislation is going to pass
this Congress before the midterm elections. After the midterms,
Democrats are highly unlikely to retain control of both houses, so there
likely will not be any federal climate legislation in the US for many
years to come. This is, obviously, to the country's immense shame.

That means Biden finds himself in the same situation that Obama ended up
in: if he wants anything at all to get done on climate change during his
term, he's going to have to do it himself, through executive action. He
has already begun announcing some executive orders.

However, there is a case to be made that the president has the power to
do much, much more. Two senior attorneys at the Center for Biological
Diversity — Jean Su, director of CBD’s energy justice program, and Maya
Golden-Krasner, deputy director of its Climate Law Institute — have been
aggressively making that case for the past three years, laying out a
broad suite of actions available to a president and accompanying them
with arguments rooting those powers in statutory authority.

They've just released a new report called “The Climate President’s
Emergency Powers,” which digs into what it would mean for Biden to
declare a state of emergency over climate change and what sort of
statutory powers that would grant him.

In this moment of utter legislative failure, I wanted to talk to Su and
Golden-Krasner about the kind of things Biden is capable of doing, which
actions he ought to prioritize, how he should think about the hostile
Supreme Court, and the political optics of governing so aggressively and
unilaterally...
https://www.volts.wtf/p/volts-podcast-how-biden-can-address?utm_source=podcast-email&utm_medium=email#details

- -

/[ Summary of the new report ]/
*THE CLIMATE PRESIDENT’S EMERGENCY POWERS*
A LEGAL GUIDE TO BOLD CLIMATE ACTION FROM PRESIDENT BIDEN
Executive Summary
“The United States and the world face a profound climate crisis. We have
a narrow moment to pursue
action at home and abroad in order to avoid the most catastrophic
impacts of that crisis and to seize the
opportunity that tackling climate change presents.”
– U.S. President Joe Biden, Jan. 27, 2021
The climate emergency presents a “code red for humanity,”1
  and its devastating impacts are
already here. More than 40% of Americans live in a county hit by
climate-related extreme
weather last year. At least 656 people died as climate-driven disasters
including wildfires,
heat domes, deep freezes and hurricanes ravaged the country, costing
upwards of $100 billion.
These disasters capture only a fragment of the climate emergency’s
global impact: intensifying food
insecurity, climate migration, political unrest and irreversible
biodiversity loss.
Fortunately President Biden has the tools to lead a tectonic shift. Now
is the moment for Biden to turn
the page on a first year marked by stalled climate legislation and
fossil fuel expansion. The president
possesses unused executive pathways — through both ordinary and
emergency executive powers — to
protect the country from increasingly dire climate threats and build a
just and regenerative energy
system.
A course change is crucial. Largely through burning fossil fuels, we’ve
already heated the planet about
1.2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels — enough for 80% of the
United States to experience
a heat wave last year. Scientists expect sea levels on U.S. coasts to
rise a foot in the next 30 years.
To avert far worse climate consequences and limit warming to 1.5°C, the
target of the 2015 Paris
Agreement, climate science makes clear that all governments must
significantly replace fossil fuels
with renewable energy by 2030. Instead the Biden administration has
galloped past Trump in its
approvals of oil and gas drilling permits on federal lands and held the
largest offshore lease sale in
U.S. history.
Climate change is a compounding crisis. Every delay makes it worse and
harder to solve. It breeds
glaring injustice, with Black, Latino, Indigenous, Asian American and
Pacific Islanders, and other
communities of color and low-wealth communities experiencing the gravest
impacts. Unless we
ignite a technological and economic transformation now, we will spiral
toward a dangerous and
increasingly unlivable planet.
By declaring a national climate emergency, Biden can unlock emergency
executive powers already
granted by Congress to aggressively combat the crisis. This paper
identifies five key climate actions the
president can take using three emergency and defense framework statutes:
the National Emergencies
Act, the Defense Production Act, and the Robert T. Stafford Disaster
Relief and Emergency Assistance
Act. This discussion complements the Center for Biological Diversity’s
2019 legal report, which
identified the most significant ordinary executive powers that could be
used for bold climate action —
including a permanent end to the federal fossil fuel leasing and
drilling program.
- -
Congress enacted emergency powers to allow the executive branch greater
flexibility to respond to extraordinary events.
The climate emergency is the pinnacle of extraordinary events faced in
our lifetimes. Biden should lawfully use emergency
powers to address this existential threat.
The use of emergency powers to respond to the climate crisis is
precisely the purpose for which the laws are intended and
should be employed. In fact, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, Sens.
Jeff Merkley and Bernie Sanders, and House
Reps. Earl Blumenauer and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, with 50 additional
representatives, have directly urged Biden to use
his lawful emergency powers to declare a national climate emergency and
take significant action. The public has echoed
these calls in peaceful protest and legal petitions.
The use of emergency powers is not new. Since the National Emergencies
Act was enacted in 1976, every president has
declared at least one national emergency during their term of office.
Further, presidents have routinely used the Defense
Production Act and Stafford Act to deal with emergency situations
threatening national security. In fact Biden has already
employed his executive powers under both statutes to address the
coronavirus pandemic and climate-related disasters in
his administration’s first year.
How the administration confronts the climate emergency will define not
just the Biden presidency but the lives of future
generations. President Biden can save lives and homes, create
good-paying jobs and transform a punishing and racist energy
system into a clean, regenerative one – all with the stroke of a pen.
It’s time for Biden to, in his own words, “seize the opportunity” of
this watershed moment and secure the renewable, just, and equitable
transformation the country needs.
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/energy-justice/pdfs/Climate-Emergency-Powers-Report.pdf

/[ Thwaits Glacier is moving faster than expected -- waters warmer than
expected. ]/
*The Doomsday Glacier | Antarctica's Ticking Time Bomb*
Jul 21, 2022  In Western Antarctica along the Amundsen Sea lies the
Thwaites Glacier, one of the largest glaciers on the continent. From a
glance, it may seem like any other glacier in Antarctica - but dig a
little deeper, and you'll discover why some refer to it as 'The Doomsday
Glacier.'
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndClimatology
Discord: https://discord.gg/S3CK3KVGZy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2y_eh40BXQ

/[ YouTube video ]/
*Live: Beyond extreme weather: How the climate crisis changes life on
Earth | News Desk*
Jul 26, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3bn-A-D2kU

/[ opinion -- adaptive activism  ] /
*Berating climate sceptics isn’t enough – disruptive protest now seems
the only way forward*
John Harris
The time has come to choose: do you trust the people in suits
downplaying this emergency, or the activists lying in roads in an
attempt to ward off catastrophe?

For the past year or so, I have been repeatedly listening to a
critically acclaimed album, Ignorance, released in 2021 by the Canadian
band the Weather Station. Its music is graceful, poised and smooth, but
it is also an almost conceptual set of songs about the urgency of the
climate crisis and the disorientation of living in a culture that still
refuses to acknowledge it. According to its chief creator, the
singer-songwriter and former actor Tamara Lindeman, many of its songs
evoke what happens when “this veneer of ‘everything will be OK’
disappears”. That moment of revelation is perfectly captured in one song
I have played over and over again – which is simply called Loss, and
finds Lindeman recalling a conversation: “What was it last night she
said? At some point you’d have to live as if the truth was true.”

Amid unprecedented temperatures, fires and the grim pantomime that will
eventually end with the selection of our next prime minister, I suspect
more people than ever would now understand those words as a matter of
direct emotional experience. For millions of us, this summer’s heat is
synonymous with an anxiety that is now impossible to shake off, and a
renewed awareness of the small transgressions and outright hypocrisies
that are required to get through each day. We perform them because of
something that Lindeman’s lyrics consummately describe: that very human
talent for just about averting our eyes from what is directly in front
of us, so as to live a quiet life; and a political culture that just
about keeps the “everything will be OK” veneer in place.

These are things evident across the planet, and the UK has its own grim
versions of them. One of the two remaining Tory leadership candidates
has pledged to retain the current de facto ban on onshore windfarms; the
other wants to reconsider some of the key policies built into the
government’s milquetoast 2050 net zero target (the positions of Rishi
Sunak and Liz Truss, respectively). The Labour party has one big climate
policy – its £28bn-a-year climate investment pledge – but is still not
putting global heating anywhere near the centre of its basic message,
and is thereby failing to acquire much consent for action on it.

Meanwhile, for a certain kind of media voice, the past week has been all
about raging against climate sceptics and deniers and their influence on
politics, as if pointing out that they are mendacious and dangerous is
an act of bravery. The former BBC presenter Andrew Marr provided a good
example in a monologue broadcast on his new show on LBC: “I for one have
had enough of being told by pallid, shadowy, old businessmen and lazy
ignorant hacks and sleazy lobbyists – who aren’t real scientists, any of
them – that the science is wrong and that what is happening isn’t
happening,” he said. “Enough!”

The key question of 2022 is not whether those people are wrong, both
factually and morally: we know the answer to that. For the moment, I
don’t think many people need to be thinking very much about particular
parties or politicians. What we surely need to focus on is the deep
attachment to fossil fuels still locked into our economy and political
system, and how to help the movements that definitely want to end it:
Extinction Rebellion (XR), Insulate Britain, Just Stop Oil and the other
forces that clearly understand the unspeakable gravity of the moment.
This comes down to a question that still does not intrude on politics
nearly enough: as these groups take the most direct kind of action, do
you support them? And if – or, rather, as – the climate emergency
deepens and the awful gap between politics and the sheer scale of what
we are faced with only widens, what will you think if their actions take
new, ever-more disruptive forms?

To some extent, the way our media and politicians fend off the climate
crisis accidentally confronts people with exactly those arguments. In
one of our most regular national rituals, mainstream politics barely
intrudes and instead, a protester fresh from some or other climate
action is berated by Piers Morgan, Richard Madeley or one of the
presenters from GB News or TalkRadio, and the only real options become
clear: meaningful and radical action or nothing at all. An editorial
last week in the Sun insisted that “we need a sober debate, free from
the extremists’ juvenile panic, on how we inch towards Net Zero in
decades to come”, which made panic look like much the more sensible
option. In April, the Labour party demanded that the government take
legal action to effectively ban climate protests that disrupt traffic
and oil production. When he stood to be his party’s leader, Keir Starmer
took donations from a former boss of the RAC and AA, and the latter
company-cum-lobby group’s former chief financial officer. The people he
apparently thinks should be locked up, by contrast, are motivated by a
comparatively pure mission to confront the car industry and quickly
finish the hydrocarbon era, and thereby avoid catastrophe. So who do you
choose?

In some cases – Occupy is a good example here – sustained support for
protesters and activists has bumped up against their lack of a coherent
agenda. But the modern climate movement is not like that. The basic
position shared by the central handful of groups is clear enough: net
zero by a much earlier date than 2050. XR and the people backing the
climate and ecology bill – including such politicians as the Greens’
Caroline Lucas and Labour’s Clive Lewis – envisage that change being
driven by citizens’ assemblies, set up to decide how such an aim will be
reached. In the context of Westminster politics, such ideas may seem so
unlikely as to be barely worth considering. But remember: Brexit is a
madcap, massively disruptive project that defies just about every
element of political and economic sense, but was until recently the
preserve of cranks and obsessives and only became a reality when David
Cameron decided to bypass MPs and ask the rest of us to decide. Less
than a decade after it decisively burst into the political foreground,
moreover, we are locked into it for keeps, with the support of both main
parties. By comparison, is trying to set an example to other countries
by doing exactly what the climate demands really so fanciful?

Activism and protest often trigger a kneejerk suspicion that they will
alienate people and kill whatever cause they advocate. But experience
suggests the exact opposite: just as successive waves of social
reformers, the suffragettes and the anti-apartheid movement were
stubborn, daring and creative enough to make their demands irresistible,
so the people now lying in roads and charging into airports and
refineries have conveyed the urgency of climate breakdown more
successfully than anyone in a suit. There is a very good reason for
that: it is only well outside centres of power that you can find the
answer to a question that power and politics are dodging more than ever
– how to live as if the truth is actually true.

  John Harris is a Guardian columnist
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/24/climate-sceptics-protest-emergency-activists

/[ A radical statement from any politician - looking back what Senator
Hillary Clinton said about global warming]/
/*July 26, 2015*/
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton releases a campaign
commercial directly calling out climate deniers and laying out a bold
vision for a clean-energy future.
http://climatecrocks.com/2015/07/26/clinton-campaign-video-make-america-the-clean-energy-superpower/

http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/la-na-hillary-clinton-climate-policy-20150726-story.html

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/07/26/3684585/hillary-clintons-climate-plan-released/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*