[✔️] July 27, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Wed Jul 27 11:01:39 EDT 2022

/*July 27, 2022*/

/[ New and very impressive government website  - all about surviving the
HEAT  - easy to remember]/
*HEAT.gov**
**National Integrated Heat Health Information System*
About Heat.gov
Heat.gov serves as the premier source of information regarding heat and
health for the nation. This portal seeks to improve federal, state, and
local information and capacity to reduce the health, economic, and
infrastructural impacts of extreme heat.

Heat.gov is the webportal for the National Integrated Heat Health
Information System (NIHHIS).
https://www.heat.gov//

/[  Joe Biden was trained as a Senator -- restrained and waiting to
act.  Trump spent billions on his great wall of hubris based on an
executive emergency ] / *Joe Biden’s Own Staff Are Now Saying He’s Not
Doing Enough on Climate Change*
BY JULIA ROCK, DAVID SIROTA
The Biden administration’s climate inaction is so bad that his own
agency experts have signed a letter begging him to act to roll back
emissions while there’s still time.
- -
Summarizing academic testimony to lawmakers, climate reporter David
Wallace-Wells noted in a recent column that “the public health costs of
air pollution [are] so high that a total decarbonization would entirely
pay for itself through the public health benefits alone. You don’t even
need to consider climate, in other words, for decarbonization to make
sense, even according to the strictest cost-benefit analysis.”

On the other hand, Manchin is a millionaire who has made his fortune in
coal and has taken more campaign contributions from the oil and gas
industry than any other senator. Every year, Manchin receives hundreds
of thousands of dollars from a coal brokerage that he founded and which
his son now runs.

After Manchin’s declaration imperiling the climate spending, Biden urged
Democratic congressional leadership to move ahead with a much smaller
spending package that would only include an extension of Affordable Care
Act subsidies and a prescription drug price negotiation provision.

Last Wednesday, Schumer confirmed that the Senate would move forward
with the health care–only reconciliation bill, saying they would make a
renewed push for climate spending after July’s inflation numbers are
published. “There is always a second reconciliation bill available to
us,” he told E&E News.

Other senators have been less willing to give up on a climate package.

“We’re much closer to a climate deal than people realize,” Senator John
Hickenlooper (D-CO) tweeted after Schumer announced the Senate would
proceed with a health care–only package. “Let’s not throw in the towel
just yet.”

But, by publishing this letter, staffers are telling the public that
Biden and Schumer have given up too early, especially when the stakes
are so high.
https://jacobin.com/2022/07/joe-biden-administration-staff-letter-climate-change-legislation

/[  Activism alert  ]/
*We’re planning school strikes across the world to protest climate inaction*
Youth activists involved in End Fossil: Occupy!
We can’t keep sitting in school, pretending everything is all right, and
studying as if the planet wasn’t on fire
Tue 26 Jul 2022

School and university students all over the world are planning to take
school strikes one step further and occupy our campuses to demand the
end of the fossil economy. Taking a lesson from student activists in the
1960s, the climate justice movement’s youth will shut down business as
usual. Not because we don’t like learning, but because what we’ve
learned already makes it clear that, without a dramatic break from this
system, we cannot ensure a livable planet for our presents and futures.

Why occupy? Because we’ve marched. We’ve launched petitions. We’ve
written open letters. We’ve had meetings with governments, boards and
commissions. We’ve struck. We’ve filled squares, streets and avenues
with thousands and, all together, millions of people in continents
across this Earth. We’ve screamed with all our lungs. Some of us have
even participated in blockades, sit-ins and die-ins. And just as it
seemed the seed for deep and radical social transformation was taking
root in the midst of the massive 2019 climate mobilizations, Covid-19
came, and our momentum drastically decreased. What didn’t decrease,
however, was the greenhouse gas emissions, the exploitation of the
global south and the unimaginable profits hoarded by the fossil fuel
industry.

It’s no secret that our enemy, the fossil fuel industry, rules the
world. And it is far from falling; in fact, it is stronger than ever.
Proof is a recent investigation by the Guardian that revealed to the
world that the fossil fuel empire has 195 “carbon bomb” projects that
threaten our hope for a global warming of up to 1.5C, the safe barrier.
That’s right: despite our politicians’ and institutions’ indeed
hilarious show at Cop26 in 2021, the biggest oil companies are on track
to spend $103m on planetary destruction projects every day for the rest
of the decade.

What’s more, the climate crisis is not a fair crisis. The latest IPCC
reports show that the ones who are most affected by climate change are
often the ones who have done the least in causing it in the first place.
As young people born right at the edge of the biggest catastrophe in
human history, it is our historic responsibility to rise up to stop it.

So, what do we do? Since giving in to defeatism will never be an option
for us, we must now organize at a massive scale. We need to create a new
peak of mobilization, even bigger than 2019. If we were waiting for a
sign, this is it. With temperatures climbing faster and faster, we have
never been so certain that mobilizing bigger than ever is not only
possible, but existentially necessary.

We cannot repeat previous mistakes. We need to be more disruptive than
ever, as that’s our only chance for survival. The youth’s innovation and
creativity, combined with a fierce appetite for disruption and
liberation, can change the world. As a global generation of students, we
need to disrupt business as usual, and start with the spaces where we
have the power to mobilize and organize – our schools and universities.
Sometimes they are directly implicated in the destruction business, as
is the case of the many universities that invest in the fossil fuel
industry, such as Oxford, Stanford, Princeton, Yale, McGill,
Northwestern, MIT, etc. In other cases, they are indirectly linked to
it. They train us for a world that has no future, a world of fossil
capitalism. They want us to sit in school and learn as if everything was
fine. But the world we are learning for – the world that created the
climate crisis – has no future. The big question of our generation, “How
do we create a world without climate catastrophe?”, will not be answered
by sitting in school.

The bottom line is: we can’t keep pretending everything is all right,
studying as if the planet wasn’t on fire. As other students did before
us – from the students of May of ’68 in France to the Arab spring, from
the Chilean Penguin Revolution and Primavera Secundarista in Brazil to
Occupy Wall Street, we will stop our business-as-usual lives to show our
governments and society that we need to change everything, now. From
Lisbon to California, from Peru to Germany and from Madrid to Ivory
Coast, we call on young people to get together and organize an
international revolutionary generation that can change the system.

Between September and December 2022, we will occupy hundreds of schools
and universities worldwide to end the fossil economy at the
international level under the callout to action “End Fossil: Occupy!”.
We invite anyone and everyone to join us and organize occupations in
their school or universities, as long as they follow our three
principles: youth-led occupation, climate justice framework, and occupy
until we win. We will revive the youth movement, create new alliances,
radicalize, engage the whole of society to support and occupy, and
envision the world we want – where life and not profit is at the center
– through this sparking international action moment. We will rise up in
justice and liberation to crush the fossil fuel industry. We shall have
no doubt: the youth are a revolutionary subject. We will turn the tide,
change history, and smash the fossil economy.

We are here. We are radical. We are ready to occupy.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/26/school-strikes-climate-protests-activists

/[ Because they think it more important ]/
*Why tech workers are quitting great jobs at companies like Google to
fight climate change*
JUL 26 2022

    -  As the sense of urgency around climate change is increasing, some
    tech workers are ditching their ultra-desirable, high-paying tech
    jobs to work at companies fighting climate change.
    -  CNBC spoke with a collection of people who have left their tech
    jobs to work at climate-first companies. Here’s what they told us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/26/tech-to-climate-career-changes-why-these-workers-left-jobs-like-google.html

/- -/
/[ see this and keep working, or resume work, or change careers ]/
*Make climate your career*
Discover jobs at thousands of exciting climate tech companies and
nonprofits around the world.
https://climatebase.org/

/[ GW video ]/
*Live: Beyond extreme weather: How the climate crisis changes life on
Earth | News Desk*
July 26, 2022  Extreme weather events are making the news more and more
often, everything from droughts to floods. Climate change also affects
us in other ways: shifting shorelines, declining agricultural
productivity, food supply chains, water availability and population
health. And whether you believe humans are the cause or not, it looks
like our way of life is going to have to change. Depending on where you
live the impacts of the climate crisis will be felt very differently.
Can we adapt? Or are these trends reversible? Join our hosts Amien Essif
and Staci Bivens for the chance to put your questions to our guests.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3bn-A-D2kU

/[meanwhile what IS the GOP doing about climate heating ?    aside from
making it worse ]/
*Where On Earth Is the GOP on Climate Policy?*
They may have abandoned denialism, but that doesn’t mean they’ve made
much progress.
- -
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/07/where-on-earth-is-the-gop-on-climate-policy/

/[  Let's go jump in a lake ] /
*Climate change is turning up the heat on lakes*
Climate change is wreaking havoc on the planet's 117 million lakes.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/07/climate-change-is-turning-up-the-heat-on-lakes/

/[ The news archive - remember toxic waste?  It "just happens" to assist
with fracking -]/
/*July 27, */
July 27, 2014: The Los Angeles Times reports:

    "Every weekday, about a dozen large garbage trucks peel away from
    the oil boom that has spread through western North Dakota to bump
    along a gravel road to the McKenzie County landfill.

    "The trucks drive up to a scale flanked by something seldom found in
    rural dumps — two 8-foot-tall yellow panels that essentially form a
    giant Geiger counter.

    "Two or three times a day, the radiation detector blares like a
    squad car, because under tons of refuse someone has stashed
    yard-long filters clotted with radioactive dirt from drilling sites.

    The 'socks' are supposed to be shipped to out-of-state processing
    plants. But some oil field operators, hoping to save tens of
    thousands of dollars, dump the socks in fields, abandoned buildings
    and landfills.

    "'It's a game of cat-and-mouse now,' said Rick Schreiber, the
    landfill's director. 'They put the sock in a bag inside a bag inside
    a bag.'

    "The huge majority of waste, if it had to be tested for hazardous
    characteristics, wouldn't register as hazardous waste - Scott A.
    Radig, director of North Dakota's health department waste management
    division.

    "Nearly 1,000 radioactive filters were found last year at the
    landfill, part of a growing tide of often toxic waste produced by
    the state's oil and gas rush. Oil field waste includes drill
    cuttings — rock and earth that come up a well bore — along with
    drilling fluids and wastewater laced with chemicals used in fracking.

    "To many local and tribal officials, environmentalists and some
    industry managers in North Dakota, the dumping of the socks and the
    proliferation of other waste shows the government falling short in
    safeguarding the environment against oil field pollution.

    "The Environmental Protection Agency decided during the Reagan era
    to classify oil field waste as not hazardous, exempting it from
    tight controls and leaving it to be managed by widely varied state
    laws. Nationally, no one tracks how many millions of tons of waste
    the fossil fuel boom generates, or where it ends up.

    "The EPA exempts the waste, in part, because it considers state
    oversight adequate, despite what the agency calls 'regulatory gaps
    in certain states.'"

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-oil-drilling-radioactive-20140727-story.html#page=1

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*