[✔️] June 5, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sun Jun 5 09:12:57 EDT 2022

/*June  5, 2022*/

/[  Game, set, match, love...demonstrate activate ]/
*Climate Change Activist Ties Herself To The Net At French Open - Watch*
An activist wearing a T-shirt with the message “We have 1028 days left”
interrupted the French Open semi-final between Casper Ruud and Marin
Cilic...
https://www.outlookindia.com/sports/climate-change-activist-attached-herself-to-the-net-at-french-open-watch-news-200276

/[  White House disfunctionality ] /
*Biden’s Climate Office Is So Dysfunctional Even Leftists Want To
Abolish It: REPORT*
THOMAS CATENACCI
ENERGY & ENVIRONMENT REPORTER
June 03, 2022

Democrats and far-left climate activists have privately complained in
recent weeks that the White House climate office is increasingly
blocking key priorities, Politico reported Friday.
The White House Office of Domestic Climate Policy has prioritized
politics ahead of actual progress on its own climate agenda, nine
anonymous Democrats both inside and outside the White House told
Politico. Some activists have even suggested that the office, headed by
President Joe Biden’s climate czar Gina McCarthy, should be abolished
altogether.

“With that czarship in place the climate agenda under Biden has been
stifled,” Jean Su, a senior attorney at the major environmental group
Center for Biological Diversity, told Politico.
Biden established the office via executive action shortly after taking
office, ordering it to coordinate his administration’s
“all-of-government approach to tackle the climate crisis.”

The anonymous Democratic officials, which include congressional staff
and current and former administration officials, accused the office of
micromanaging federal agencies, being more focused on avoiding legal
battles and avoiding disrupting climate talks with Democratic West
Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, according to Politico.
https://dailycaller.com/2022/06/03/democrats-white-house-officials-gina-mccarthy-climate-agenda/

/[ good idea for 1980 ]/
*Let’s Not Pretend Planting Trees Is a Permanent Climate Solution*
June 4, 2022
Zeke Hausfather
Dr. Hausfather was a contributing author to the IPCC Sixth Assessment
Report. He is the climate research lead at Stripe and a research
scientist with Berkeley Earth.

Trees are our original carbon removal technology: Through
photosynthesis, they pull carbon dioxide out of the air and store it.
They have lately been touted as a climate savior, a way to rapidly
reduce the carbon dioxide that has accumulated in the atmosphere as we
cut our emissions.
- -
The scale of permanent carbon removal that will be needed to meet our
most ambitious climate goals is staggering compared to the small amount
of removal that has taken place to date. We are playing catch-up here,
as we are on many climate fronts. We need to use this decade to figure
out what works and what can scale in the decades to come: experimenting
with a wide variety of approaches like direct air capture, enhanced rock
weathering, ocean alkalinity enhancement, biomass carbon removal and
storage, and ocean biomass sinking among others.

To tackle climate change, we need to reduce emissions as quickly as
possible. But we also need to invest in bringing down the cost of
technologies to remove billions of tons of carbon dioxide from the
atmosphere in the future. Trees and soil are not a panacea for removing
carbon. While governments should be encouraged to enhance the amount of
carbon stored in trees, plants, and soil, we should be skeptical of
claims that rely on temporary removals to justify additional “forever”
emissions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/04/opinion/environment/climate-change-trees-carbon-removal.html

/[ WAPO headline show how we adjust to reality ]/
*Climate change is forcing schools to close early for ‘heat days’*
With no air conditioning and no money to install it, districts are
sending students home
/https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/06/04/school-heat-days-climate-change//

By Laura Meckler and Anna Phillips
June 4, 2022
“Teaching in these conditions is untenable. Learning in these conditions
is unbearable. We can’t allow whether or not your school is equipped for
AC to dictate the quality of your education,” she wrote.

And in D.C., city council member Robert C. White Jr., a candidate for
mayor, voiced concern about the heat’s impact on schools. “[P]arents and
teachers are sending us SOS tweets about hot classrooms & broken HVAC
systems,” he tweeted Wednesday. “It is unacceptable that our students,
teachers & administrators are dealing with this.”
- -
“Teaching in these conditions is untenable. Learning in these conditions
is unbearable. We can’t allow whether or not your school is equipped for
AC to dictate the quality of your education,” she wrote.

And in D.C., city council member Robert C. White Jr., a candidate for
mayor, voiced concern about the heat’s impact on schools. “[P]arents and
teachers are sending us SOS tweets about hot classrooms & broken HVAC
systems,” he tweeted Wednesday. “It is unacceptable that our students,
teachers & administrators are dealing with this.”

*Melting paints*
If it’s steamy outside of Erica Weisfelner’s classroom in Farmingdale,
N.Y., it’s a safe bet that it’s at least 80 degrees inside her
cinder-block walls. The elementary school art teacher’s
un-air-conditioned room on Long Island is swampy this time of year.
Sheets of paper stick together. Oil pastels turn to mush in her
student’s hands. The Wikki Stix projects made of yarn and wax melt together.

“I have 500 students who pass through my room each week, and when it is
uncomfortable in here, it’s like trying to stop wet noodles from
sticking to the wall,” she said.

On suffocating days, it’s “lights off, free draw,” she said. It’s not
her first choice, but it’s the only option when it’s over 90 degrees
inside and heat is turning the tempera paints strange colors.

“This is a problem for the whole Northeast,” she said. “We’re now
starting to get hot and muggy days even in late April.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/06/04/school-heat-days-climate-change/

/[  Bill Nye speaks in USA Today ]/
*What is climate change?*
Nye: So global warming is causing climate change. By holding this extra
heat in the atmosphere, we are changing the world's climate faster than
ever in recorded history, but faster than ever in Earth's history with
the exception of when asteroids hit the Earth...
*What is global warming?*
Nye: Humans are adding an extraordinary amount of extra greenhouse
gases; the biggest one is carbon dioxide, and then methane. We're adding
these gases to the atmosphere so fast that the world has never gotten
this warm this fast.

Visible light comes through past these molecules, like carbon dioxide,
hits the Earth's surface where it goes to a longer wavelength, to
infrared. These gases hold in a lot of that infrared, that heat.
- -
The world is getting warmer, and with a warmer world, we have more heat
energy in the ocean and storms are bigger and stick around longer. We're
changing global weather patterns where it's getting to be this huge
drought out West and very rainy out East.

Downpour:People haven't just made the planet hotter. We've changed the
way it rains.

Is global warming real? Do you have any response to people who say it's
not real?
Nye: Well, to the people who say it's not real, you're wrong. The
scientific consensus on human-caused climate change is overwhelming.
People who are in denial have been influenced too strongly by the fossil
fuel industry. (The fossil fuel industry) has been able to introduce the
idea that plus or minus 2% is the same as plus or minus 100%.

For example, this ice sheet in Antarctica, this huge slab of ice is
going to break off of Antarctica and fall into the sea. Antarctica is
the only continent under water; it's under ice. When a big piece of this
ice falls into the ocean, we're going to add a lot more freshwater to
the ocean, and a lot more water to the ocean. Sea levels are going to
rise and the salinity of the ocean, especially in the south, is going to
change very fast.

People say, "Well, when is that going to be? Is it going to be tomorrow
or 10 years from now?" When it comes to geological processes, plus or
minus 10 years is extraordinarily accurate. Some people, they say "Well,
then that's too much uncertainty. You don't know what you're talking
about." That's wrong. The uncertainty of climate change is very small.
Humans are causing it. It's global. It's changing climates around the world.
- -
*How can we stop global warming?*
Nye: You probably cannot stop global warming in anybody's lifetime
that's alive now.

What we can do is address it and deal with it, get ready for it, and
reduce the rate at which it's happening.

We can do that by stopping the addition of carbon monoxide, especially,
and then methane into the atmosphere; stop that as soon as we can. The
way to stop that is to stop burning fossil fuels. The way to stop that
is to provide alternative sources of electricity. This is where we get
into wind, solar, geothermal, and perhaps one day nuclear fusion, where
we'd have virtually unlimited supplies of electricity distributed around
the world. We can stop burning fossil fuels. We could then slowly remove
carbon dioxide from the atmosphere using the same unlimited amount of
electricity.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/06/04/bill-nye-climate-change-recycling/7498049001/

/[ How can we stop wildfires? //]/
*Why Prescribed Burning is Not a Panacea*
BY GEORGE WUERTHNER - JUNE 3, 2022
Many people in New Mexico are calling for an investigation of the
practice of prescribed burning in light of the recent immense Calf
Canyon and Hermits Peak wildfires that began as prescribed burns.

The combined fires have scorched 312,000 acres as of May 28th and remain
out of control. At least 330 homes have been destroyed. Drought and
hurricane-force winds are driving these blazes.

Recently, the Forest Service chief Randy Moore has implemented a 90-day
moratorium on prescribed burns to examine what may have gone wrong and
what could be done better.

The FS is unwilling to say, and politicians and much of the public do
not want to hear that climate change is the culprit, not fuels. The
warming climate and higher windvelocity are driving large fires. And no
amount of “active forest management” will slow wildfires or limit their
size...
- -
The Forest Service is in a very difficult position. The public has the
expectation that they can control and reduce large fires. What the
agency is unwilling to admit is that thinning, logging or prescribed
burning aren’t effective under extreme fire weather conditions. And the
only fires that grow to large size, occur under such conditions which
includes high temperatures, low humidity, drought and most importantly
high winds.

Ultimately we have to reckon with climate warming as the culprit behind
large blazes, but many conservative politicians continue to deny that
climate change is a human-caused event. Without a change in fossil fuel
burning, we can expect more and more large fires in the future. And no
amount of prescribed burning (or logging) will have a significant
influence on the outcome.

The better solution is to harden homes and communities. Working from the
home outward is the best strategy for living with the new fire regime
conditions.

Whether we like it or not, wildfires are resetting the ecological
parameters of plant communities, so they are better adapted for drier,
hotter conditions.

Prescribed burning could be a part of the plan if you are willing to
meet the conditions mentioned above about return treatments. But I
typically do not see funding or commitment to reburns.

George Wuerthner has published 36 books including Wildfire: A Century of
Failed Forest Policy.
https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/06/03/why-prescribed-burning-is-not-a-panacea/

/[ melting, upsetting, downletting ] /
*Will more ‘mouths to hell’ open up because of climate change? We asked
a permafrost expert*
By Lottie Limb   04/06/2022 - 07:00
You may have seen photos of a cavernous chunk of land in Siberia
recently, accompanied by headlines on the growing ‘mouth of hell’.

The Batagaika crater in Yakutia, Russia, has recently entered the news
again, though there’s no major update on its spread.

Resembling the rocky outline of a stingray from above, this giant hole
first formed in the 1960s when nearby forest clearances caused the
underground permafrost to thaw and collapse.

The Indigenous Yakut people who live in the area have reported hearing
strange booming sounds for years, as more chunks of frozen wall fall in.
While the recovery of a 42,000 year old extinct foal in 2019 - preserved
with liquid blood inside - has added to the mysterious aura and
scientific possibilities of this site where worlds seem to collide.
Scary as it sounds, the most alarming facts lie not with the dimensions
of the biggest ‘abrupt thaw’, as they’re known. Instead it is the rate
at which other permafrost-induced craters are forming in the Arctic, and
the huge stores of greenhouse gases they unleash that are worrying.
Permafrost is any land that stays frozen all year (or, more precisely,
for two years straight). The northern permafrost region spans 15 million
square kilometres - roughly three times the entire area of the EU plus
the UK.
By Lottie Limb  -  June 4, 2022
You may have seen photos of a cavernous chunk of land in Siberia
recently, accompanied by headlines on the growing ‘mouth of hell’.

The Batagaika crater in Yakutia, Russia, has recently entered the news
again, though there’s no major update on its spread.

Resembling the rocky outline of a stingray from above, this giant hole
first formed in the 1960s when nearby forest clearances caused the
underground permafrost to thaw and collapse.

The Indigenous Yakut people who live in the area have reported hearing
strange booming sounds for years, as more chunks of frozen wall fall in.
While the recovery of a 42,000 year old extinct foal in 2019 - preserved
with liquid blood inside - has added to the mysterious aura and
scientific possibilities of this site where worlds seem to collide.

Google Satellite imagery shows the unusual terrain of the thaw slump
near Batagay, Siberia.Google
Scary as it sounds, the most alarming facts lie not with the dimensions
of the biggest ‘abrupt thaw’, as they’re known. Instead it is the rate
at which other permafrost-induced craters are forming in the Arctic, and
the huge stores of greenhouse gases they unleash that are worrying.

Permafrost is any land that stays frozen all year (or, more precisely,
for two years straight). The northern permafrost region spans 15 million
square kilometres - roughly three times the entire area of the EU plus
the UK.

The permafrost region contains three times as much carbon as all living
vegetation on Earth.
Its compact soils contain more carbon because the plants that grow
during the Arctic summer are frozen into the permafrost before they can
decompose. This means the region’s frozen ground contains an estimated
1,500 billion tonnes of carbon.
It is a staggering amount that equates to three times the mass of all
living vegetation on Earth, explains Gustaf Hugelius, a permafrost
expert at Stockholm University.

As the landscape heats up, microbes start feeding on the plant remains,
producing CO2 and methane as byproducts.

Hugelius co-authored a 2020 report which found that these abrupt thaws
could double the impact of permafrost thaw accounted for in climate
models, including those used by the IPCC.

We spoke to the professor of physical geography, a member of the
Permafrost Carbon Network, to understand more about this strange and
concerning phenomenon.
- -
https://static.euronews.com/articles/stories/06/74/45/08/1100x619_cmsv2_d0daf460-8374-5407-b909-e8e6a89f3be1-6744508.jpg
- -
*When will the Batagaika crater stop growing?*
Alexander Kizyakov
Loeka Jongejans, a PhD student from AWI’s Permafrost Research Station in
Germany visited the Batagay thaw slump with a group of international
researchers in 2019.

They found it to be growing rapidly. “Every summer, huge amounts of
sediments, water and organic matter are mobilised from this possibly
biggest thaw slump in the world,” she tells Euronews Green.

Jongejans collected samples from the 55-metre high headwall and blocks
on the slump floor for laboratory analyses, to better understand the
amount and vulnerability of permafrost carbon.

The crater is likely to keep expanding backwards and upwards - eating
into the hill - until it hits sediments with significantly less ice, or
bedrock, adds Hugelius.
https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/06/04/will-more-mouths-to-hell-open-up-because-of-climate-change-we-asked-a-permafrost-expert

/[The news archive - looking back at how money seeks safety ]/
/*June 5, 2015 */
The New York Times also reports:

    "Norway’s $890 billion government pension fund, considered the
    largest sovereign wealth fund in the world, will sell off many of
    its investments related to coal, making it the biggest institution
    yet to join a growing international movement to abandon at least
    some fossil fuel stocks.

    "Parliament voted Friday to order the fund to shift its holdings out
    of billions of dollars of stock in companies whose businesses rely
    at least 30 percent on coal. A committee vote last week made
    Friday’s decision all but a formality; it will take effect next year.

    "The decision is certain to add momentum to a push to divest fossil
    fuel stocks that emerged three years ago on college campuses. The
    Church of England announced last month that it would drop companies
    involved with coal or oil sands from its $14 billion investment
    fund, and the French insurer AXA said it would cut some $560 million
    in coal-related investments from its portfolio.

    "Members of the Rockefeller family, whose fortune derives from
    Standard Oil, also pledged last year to remove fossil fuel
    investments, beginning with coal, from their philanthropic
    Rockefeller Brothers Fund."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/06/science/norway-in-push-against-climate-change-will-divest-from-coal.html?mwrsm=Email

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/06/05/3666697/norway-divests-from-coal/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*