[✔️] June 10, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Fri Jun 10 10:44:25 EDT 2022

/*June 10, 2022*/

/[ "This is the beginning of a potentially scorching summer." ] /
*More Than 30 Million in Southwest Brace for Dangerous Heat*
Temperatures will rise well above 100 degrees in large swaths of
California, Nevada and Arizona through the weekend. Meteorologists are
warning residents to prepare now.
Dangerous and potentially deadly heat will settle over the Southwestern
United States through much of the weekend, with temperatures in some
locations expected to break records and exceed 100 degrees.

More than 30 million people in California, Nevada and Arizona are under
some sort of heat-related alert through at least part of the weekend,
the National Weather Service said. A heat wave is defined as a period of
abnormally and uncomfortably hot and unusually humid weather that lasts
for two or more days.

“Please protect yourself,” the Weather Service office in Phoenix warned
residents, while the office in Sacramento said that the heat would
affect everyone, not just people most sensitive to heat risk.
Meteorologists in San Diego advised residents to learn the signs of heat
exhaustion and heat stroke...
- -
It’s going to be dry and very hot. An excessive heat warning was in
effect through Sunday night for the San Diego area, where temperatures
were forecast to reach up to 116 degrees. Similar sweltering conditions
were expected around the Grand Canyon and other parts of central and
southwest Arizona. Las Vegas, a city used to soaring temperatures, could
reach 109 degrees. Some of the most extreme heat is predicted in Death
Valley, along the California-Nevada border, where the mercury could rise
to 120 degrees.

A heat advisory was in effect through Saturday for a large swath of
South Central California and western Nevada. Temperatures up to 100
degrees were expected around the Los Angeles area and up to 106 degrees
in the San Joaquin Valley. The Weather Service in Reno, Nev., said
temperatures were forecast to max out around 100 degrees on Friday and
that the potentially record-setting highs were unusually early in the
summer season. On average, Reno doesn’t usually hit the 100 degree mark
until about July 10, meteorologists said...
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/us/heat-wave-california-arizona-nevada.html

[ New technology  ]
*Google's 'Dynamic World' Offers a Real-Time Sense of Humanity's
Devastation of Earth*
In addition to features to display the planet’s changes to environmental
disasters, the company is promoting new air quality layers on Google Maps.
Kyle Barr - June 8, 2022
https://gizmodo.com/google-dynamic-world-google-maps-1849041302
- -
[ Google Earth]
*Land cover data just got real-time*
https://blog.google/products/earth/dynamic-world-land-cover-data/

/[  Weather of a changed climate ]/
*Europe in Ruins! Crazy Storm in Germany, France and Italy (Jun. 06, 2022)*
Jun 6, 2022  Intense storms in southern and western Germany saw
hailstones pile up to half a metre high.
So much hail fell in the village of Weiler, in Bavaria, over such a
short period of time that some roads were entirely blocked with ice.

Scary Storm hit Delhi, India - https://youtu.be/wRoJVB2mh8U

Heavy Storm in Ontario, Canada - https://youtu.be/LqDht51u1DI

Tornado in Paderborn, Germany - https://youtu.be/sEsPc9wTqbk

Tornado in Kansas, USA - https://youtu.be/GYi47hGZ3a8

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WildWeatherUS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZlwpA9BxO4

/[   valid criticism - so what do we say?  (we should not steal the
future from our children) ] /
*Stop telling kids that climate change will destroy their world*
Some “climate anxiety” is the product of telling kids — falsely — that
they have no future.
By Kelsey Piper  Jun 8, 2022
- -
“You see children saying things like ‘The world’s going to burn up,
we’re all going to be dead in 20 years,’ and that’s pretty unlikely,”
Susan Clayton, a conservation psychologist who studies how climate
change affects mental health, told National Geographic in an article
about kids and climate anxiety.

Clayton has some good advice on what to do with a climate-anxious child.
But it’s worth pausing on her quote. Why do we see kids saying that?
Because books, stories, and protest messaging aimed at them tell them
that! There’s pessimism in the water around climate change, and kids
often take that pessimism far more literally than adults do.

A child holding a protest sign that reads, “I’m sure the dinosaurs
thought they had time too.”
Rodger Bosch/AFP via Getty Images
In some cases, it feels like adults are displacing our own frustration
at political inaction on climate onto kids — and doing it by telling
them things that aren’t true, and that they don’t have the perspective
or context to take with the appropriate grain of salt.

The problem permeates advice about what kids can do about climate
change, too.

I imagine the tendency of advice for kids about climate change to urge
them to challenge their grownups, recycle, ride bikes, and attend
protests is out of a well-intentioned urge to give them advice they can
use right now. But I worry it sets them up for frustration, and is
fundamentally not very honest about how they can solve climate change.

Kids who throw themselves wholeheartedly at those problems for their
entire childhood, but who aren’t themselves Greta Thunberg, aren’t
likely to get anywhere, and they won’t be positioned to get anywhere as
an adult either.
The best way a 7-year-old can improve the world probably isn’t by
pleading with adults. It’s by learning more and developing new skills
that she’ll be able to directly bring to bear on problems like climate
change when she gets older.

*Raising a better future*
When our daughter asks about environmental issues, I like to tell her
that a few generations ago, there was smallpox, but some kids studied
hard and grew up into grownups who fought to eradicate it. I tell her
that there was leaded gasoline, but we learned it was bad and phased it
out. I tell her that today there is climate change, and solving it is
going to require new inventions and new ideas — and she can be the one
to invent them.

I explain that if we had better batteries, then we could use solar for
more of our power grid, so maybe she can learn how to invent better
batteries. I explain that if we could grow beef without cows, they
wouldn’t belch methane, so maybe she’ll be the one who figures out how
to do that in a cost-effective way.

But I have yet to find a children’s book that frames the climate crisis
that way: as a challenge, but one like the many that humanity has
overcome, and one that our kids can overcome by learning about the world
and inventing new solutions. If you know of one, I’m in the market for
recommendations; if you don’t know, I invite you to think about where
this hole in our messages for children leaves them.
https://www.vox.com/23158406/climate-change-tell-kids-wont-destroy-world

/[ From 2014, her "Universal Map of Doom" a //brilliant, funny and
important//summary of our condition -- from the great Gail Zawacki - her
last day was yesterday June 9th ] /
*"The Apocalypse Library at the End of the World" *
200 and 1 Essentials to Navigate the Doomosphere Map...for the Novice
(and the Obsessed!)

Surely you can't have failed to notice the bellicose headlines warning
of various and sundry paths that lead inexorably to Apocalypse Soon?
Perhaps you want to know more, but just don't have time to sort it all
out?  Maybe you can't decide what is worse - disappearing bees, bats and
frogs; rising seas or lowered sperm counts...droughts, floods,
hailstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes and tsunamis; exorbitant
prices; or just ordinary pollution (and lots of it)?

Welcome and rejoice, doomer fans and neophytes too, you have found the
most capacious and concise virtual map of converging catastrophes ever
devised - a dynamically current compendium...because YOU can add to it!
/[ henceforth, Gail will be unavailable to approve any blog posts ]/

Don't be mad about redundancies, or annoyed about omissions, or
perplexed by non sequiturs. It's a BIG subject, and it is presented
unfinished (because it will never be finished, until the grid goes
down).  Contribute, don't - whine.  And do it soon, before the lights go
out for good and this list is lost forever!..
http://doomfordummies.blogspot.com/ /( also available on Archive.org )/

/[ Author's essay, his new book is _Mother Ocean Father Nation_ --  ] /
*Why All Fiction is Climate Fiction Now*
Nishant Batsha on When Art Intersects with Unavoidable Reality
By Nishant Batsha - June 7, 2022
Perhaps everyone can now lay claim to moments of frightful clarity,
memories of when the climate crisis becomes terrifyingly close, when it
ceased to be a series of global meteorological events and more a waking
nightmare of daily life. There are two from recent memory that stick out
for me.

The first: it is October 2017, and I am still living in the Bay Area. My
wife is out of town on a business trip, leaving me and the cat in our
quiet home. The night has been unusually warm and windy—weather that
conjures only fear in California. I wake up at one in the morning with a
sense of panic deep in some limbic part of my brain: something is on
fire; the house smells like smoke.

I frantically search our one-bedroom apartment, but everything is fine.
I poke my head out the door and the neighborhood is quiet, darkened. The
next day, it begins to rain ash. The Tubbs Fire rages to the north,
pushing smoke across California.

The second: it is November 2019, and we have decided to leave California
for Buffalo, where my wife will take up a job at a local university. We
have a child now who is five-months old, and the Bay Area is too
expensive to live, and fire season too stressful to navigate. We go to
my parents’ house to celebrate Diwali, and the weather again is warm and
windy.

On Highway 24, we see a fire break out on a hillside. Traffic slows to a
crawl to rubberneck the dreadful Diwali light. It is eerily close to my
sister’s home. We call her: “Are you okay?” They are given a few minutes
to leave, but ultimately, she and her family are fine—the firefighters
established a perimeter around her house, saving the structure...
We are living in a time of climate collapse.
- -
Perhaps it’s a slow accumulation of these events over years; perhaps
it’s the inundation of headlines regarding the climate; perhaps it’s the
feeling that the seasons themselves are being shifted: accelerated here,
elongated there—regardless, the conclusion for me feels inescapable. The
Anthropocene is a fundamental part of what it means to be human.

As a novelist, I’ve wondered what this conclusion means for my work.
Does it mean that all my fiction has to be cli-fi? In a way, I know the
answer is yes. And after writing my debut novel, Mother Ocean Father
Nation, I feel like I’ve written a climate fiction book without
realizing it...
My novel is set in 1985 and grapples with the fallout from a military
coup in an unnamed South Pacific island nation. The story follows a
brother and sister: one forced to stay behind, another forced to leave
as a refugee to California. On its surface, the novel is about
belonging, state power, migration, family, and identity—not necessarily
anything to do with the climate.

But as I wrote the book, I found myself grappling with a question: what
exactly is it that makes up the daily lived reality of collapse?

The climate collapse is not simply the destruction of the natural world
and the processes couched therein, but also the human response
inextricably meshed within that collapse. There’s the movement of
people: single migration events, double migration, triple
migration—moving from one place, then to another, then to still another,
to find some semblance of home. It’s also the human capacity within
these movements, the banal day-to-day life that one must live, even as
everything falls apart. It’s the jobs that must be completed, the
relationships that must be tended to, the day-in day-out of lives that
trudge onwards...
My conclusion was simple: to write climate fiction is to write fiction
that understands that the only constant is collapse.
But to live amidst disaster is not all suffering and pain. I wanted to
ensure that my characters continued to desire—and find outlets for all
that was pent-up within them. In moments of great crisis, rather than
ceasing to exist, desires can begin to take an outsize role, coming to
almost define the totality of someone’s internal—and external life.

In Mother Ocean Father Nation, Jaipal is a bisexual man used to finding
gratification in the island’s resort hotels with foreigners: quick, easy
encounters with men and women who don’t stay for long. But when the coup
scares off all the tourists and the hotels begin to shut down, he is
forced to contend with the depths of his own loneliness, even as he
becomes the primary provider for his mother and father. He finds an
outlet in an old friend, but also in communities driven underground,
hidden places where he can explore the contours of his sexuality—places
that comingle joy with the terror of something terrible happening to
them all.
- -
These are the human environments of climate fiction: how does joy harden
and encase itself when surrounded by misery? How can loneliness find a
release? How does one continue the process of personal growth when
forced to contend with circumstances unplanned and unpredictable?

If Jaipal must figure out answers to these question inside a country
falling apart, it is Bhumi who must contend with them in exile. The
academic standout of the family, she is forced to leave the country—and
her studies—behind when a friendship with the daughter of a government
official becomes a liability. Stuck in California, she’s in limbo.
Without papers, she cannot continue her studies officially.

Her questions (Who am I? What defines me? What do I want out of this
brief, haggard life?) are those existential questions which perhaps come
to fore in any moment of crisis. Over the past few years, every day has
brought a tremendous amount of anxiety for us all, sometimes through
death and illness, but other times through the barrage of day-to-day
inconsistencies: childcare shutdowns, school closures, the absence of
work—the list goes on and on. And yet, even among all this suffering (or
perhaps even because of this suffering), there remains the inconstant
pain of growth, of trying to differentiate between the essential and
frivolous, of attempting to distill the self into something truer.
The news is an infinite scroll of anxiety. Outside the window is the
warmth of another out-of-season day. Getting through the day means
ignoring the dread, putting aside the feeling that everything is simply
a portent of what’s to come.

We are living in a time of collapse, and the writing of human beings
caught in fire and food and in between political upheaval and daily life
is the task I’ve set forth for myself. But what is written is not simply
the recounting of miseries—even as things crumble, we’re caught inside
the matrix of our own feeling. Perhaps, then, my climate fiction finds
the stories that settle and grow from the dust of it all, the lives that
somehow continue on, even when it seems like nothing can go another day.
https://lithub.com/why-all-fiction-is-climate-fiction-now/

/[The news archive - looking back to the briefest moment when Fox News
slipped ]/
/*June 10, 2008*/
  Fox News Channel personality Shepard Smith states that climate-change
deniers are "just a little crazy."
https://archive.thinkprogress.org/foxs-smith-people-who-get-stuck-in-toilets-are-a-little-crazy-just-like-global-warming-deniers-d12af034504d/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*