[✔️] June 11, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Sat Jun 11 07:08:08 EDT 2022

/*June 11, 2022*/

/[ warning of high heat fails to mention global warming or the cause ]/
*Heatwave Engulfing The West Coast*
Jun 10, 2022  On the West Coast, tens of millions of Americans are
suffering from a dangerous heat wave gripping the region. The heat is
being felt from Texas to California, and cities like Las Vegas and
Phoenix are already hitting temperatures in the triple digits. Tonight,
concerns grow to see if power grids will hold up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxgyziQB-DY
- -
/[ CNBC forecast - yes it is is that unusual   ]/
*Heatwave Engulfing The West Coast*
Jun 10, 2022  On the West Coast, tens of millions of Americans are
suffering from a dangerous heat wave gripping the region. The heat is
being felt from Texas to California, and cities like Las Vegas and
Phoenix are already hitting temperatures in the triple digits. Tonight,
concerns grow to see if power grids will hold up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYN9WT48Sq4

/- -/

/[Martha and the Vandellas music from 1963]
/*Heatwave*
9,522,379 views since posted Oct 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE2fnYpwrng

/[ new book explains how ]/
*Climate crisis is ‘battering our economy’ and driving inflation, new
book says*
Climatenomics lays out how ‘supply chain disruptions’ has become a
euphemism for the effects of climate change
- -
Climatenomics, by former White House reporter and director of
Environmental Entrepreneurs (E2) Bob Keefe, is a narrative account of
how the climate crisis is fundamentally altering not just the US but
global economies.

Within its pages, Keefe lays out what he sees as the false choice
between creating jobs and driving economic growth and protecting the
planet, and how “supply chain disruptions” has become a euphemism for
the effects of climate change.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jun/11/climate-crisis-inflation-economy-climatenomics-book

//[  Perhaps they should use a time machine, or maybe repeal the laws of
thermodynamics ] /
/*Opinion  As climate catastrophes multiply, Republicans rethink denialism*
By Dana Milbank - - June 8, 2022
Each day seems to bring us a zombie step closer to the climate apocalypse.
Drought in the West. Fires in the Southwest. Power outages coming to the
Midwest. Monkeypox and other strange diseases spreading. Food prices
soaring. Migration and crime exploding. Giant spiders arriving with
young that can parachute from the sky. The National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration going full Lake Wobegon, forecasting a
seventh consecutive “above-average” hurricane season.
It might feel as if The End Is Near. But fear not: House Republicans are
swinging into action...
- -
“House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) plans to unveil a
strategy Thursday outlining how Republicans would address climate
change, energy and environmental issues.”. .
- -
Facing so many disasters, it’s only natural for people to try to look
the other way. “It’s an important defense mechanism that allows people
to go about their day by pretending that this is not happening,” says
LaUra Schmidt, who founded the Good Grief Network, which uses a 10-step
program inspired by Alcoholics Anonymous to help people “metabolize
collective grief, eco-anxiety and other heavy emotions that arise in
response to daunting planetary crises.”

But as climate disasters shift from abstract to imminent, the look-away
strategy starts to fail. “It’s a defense mechanism until it’s on our
doorstep, until the fires are here,” Schmidt says.
That moment has arrived. A belated decision by Republicans to abandon
the denialism and join the fight sure could brighten our doomsday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/08/climate-change-deniers-republican-catastrophe/

///[  60-Minutes on Juliana vs US may move forward -- 13 min video  ]/
*Juliana v. United States: The climate lawsuit*
Jan 23, 2020  The lawsuit alleges the U.S. government knowingly failed
to protect 21 young people from climate change. 60 Minutes first
reported on the suit last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm3EAPlT89I

- -

[ More information about Juliana...]
*Juliana v. The United States: Landmark Precedent in Climate Change
Litigation by Julia Olson*
Feb 21, 2018  Julia Olson is co-lead counsel for Juliana v. The United
States, an unprecedented lawsuit that involves 21 youth plaintiffs suing
the federal government for its affirmative actions that have contributed
to climate change. In this lecture, Julia details how the federal
government actively promoted, subsidized, and bolstered a
fossil-fuel-based energy system in the United States for more than 50
years while knowing about the pressing need for a broad-scale renewable
energy transition. She describes why this case was brought against the
federal government, what aspects of the U.S. Constitution have framed
the claims of the case, and how the plaintiffs seek a unique remedy.
Julia also describes the Fifth Amendment substantive due process claim
and public trust rights claim that frame the innovative nature of the
case’s legal framework. Additionally, Julia highlights the 21 youth
plaintiffs that represent different stories of American young people
from across the country. Instead of money or damages for the injuries
they are experiencing, the plaintiffs are asking the federal government
to create a legally mandated Climate Recovery Plan that would transition
the current U.S. energy system to a clean energy system by mid-century.
This talk is a part of the Bedrock Lectures on Human Rights and Climate
change, organized by the Spring Creek Project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmJm_W2rH8w

- -

/[ more technical information in a discussion about Juliana v...]/
*Juliana v. United States: The Constitutional Implications of Climate
Change*
Streamed live on Nov 14, 2018  Duke Law panelists disuss Juliana v.
United States, a case the Supreme Court allowed to proceed in the 9th
Circuit, which concerns the constitutional and public trust implications
of climate change. Specifically, the youth plaintiffs argue that (1) the
United States' actions that have contributed to climate change have
unconstitutionally deprived future generations' right to life, liberty,
and property; and (2) that the atmosphere is protected by the Public
Trust Doctrine.

Co-sponsored by Duke's Environmental Law Society, American Constitution
Society, Federalist Society, and Environmental Law and Policy Clinic...
Duke University School of Law
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvOp2WimR4

/( Parts 1 & 2 -  video links https://youtu.be/U3GB191UDiI and
https://youtu.be/SfZu23ya-AY ) /
///[I try to listen to every lecture that Dr. William Rees delivers --
his wisdom assaults my mind like a tsunami.  I have to restart and
replay -- so repeating in waves.//]/
*Will Modern Civilization be the Death of Us? (Part 1 — with Dr. William
Rees)*
Jan 23, 2022  Will Modern Civilization be the Death of Us? Does our
modern techno-industrial society destroy the biophysical basis of our
existence?
William Rees is a population ecologist, ecological economist, Professor
Emeritus and former Director of the University of British Columbia’s
School of Community and Regional Planning. His research focuses on the
biophysical requirements for sustainability and on the implications of
global ecological trends for global civilization. In this context, he
has special interests in cities as particularly vulnerable components of
the human ecosystem and in both psycho-cognitive and cultural barriers
to rational ‘environmental’ behavior and associated public policy. Prof
Rees is perhaps best known as the originator and co-developer (with his
graduate students) of ‘ecological footprint analysis’ (EFA), a
quantitative tool that shows the extent to which humanity is in
‘ecological overshoot’. Overshoot poses a serious challenge to policies
promoting the continued growth of the human enterprise—we would need
almost five Earth-like planets to support just the present world
population sustainably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3GB191UDiI/  [move to the 1:01.0 mark
for his concluding statement ]/

- -

/[ second half of the lecture series - video ]/
*Will Modern Civilization be the Death of Us? (Part 2 — with Ruben Nelson)*
Jul 6, 2020  Will Modern Civilization be the Death of Us? Envisioning
Tomorrow’s Earth. with Ruben Nelson.

Ruben Nelson, Executive Director of Foresight Canada, is an
internationally respected futures researcher and practitioner of
strategic foresight. He was first to apply the concept of 'paradigm
change' to whole cultures in 1975. He coined the term 'civilization
overshoot' in 2018. He explores the new reading of human history that
will enable us to see why our Modern Techno-industrial cultures are
almost wholly blind to (1) destroying biophysical existence (2) the
emerging reality that the modern techno-industrial civilization has
already entered a long, irrevocable decline (3) accepting that Modernity
is our past, but not our future, and (4) realizing that our new work is
to transcend our past at every scale, from personal-to-civilizational,
becoming Consciously Co-creative.

Moderator Ron Cole-Turner teaches at Pittsburgh Theological Seminary,
where he holds the H. Parker Sharp Chair in Theology and Ethics, a
position relating theology and ethics to developments in science and
technology. He is an ordained United Church of Christ minister and a
founding member of the International Society for Science and Religion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZu23ya-AY

/[The news archive - looking back at moments of denialism ]/
/*June 11, 2001*/

June 11, 2001: In a Rose Garden speech on climate change, President
George W. Bush repeatedly attacks the Kyoto Protocol.

http://c-spanvideo.org/program/GlobalClimateChang

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2001/06/20010611-2.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*