[✔️] June 27, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Mon Jun 27 09:35:11 EDT 2022

/*June 27 , 2022*/

/[ going forward, this will be the coolest year ever.  ]/
*Japan tops 104 degrees for first time in June amid record heat wave*
By Jason Samenow
June 25, 2022
On Saturday, temperatures there shot above 104 degrees (40 Celsius) for
the first time on record during the month, another clear sign of the
sweeping effects of human-caused climate change...
- -
Record heat has extended as north as Arctic Circle and as far south as
the Middle East this month. The Russian city of Norilsk, above the
Arctic Circle, posted its hottest June day on record Thursday, climbing
to 89.6 degrees (32 Celsius). In early June, AccuWeather reported Kuwait
saw temperatures as high as 127 degrees (52.7 Celsius).

In Japan, the heat comes after its government asked residents on Tuesday
to conserve electricity during the hot summer months, Reuters reported.
Three regions, including Tokyo, could see their power supply stretched.

While the heat may ease some over China after the weekend, brutal heat
is forecast to remain entrenched over Japan for much of the next week.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/06/25/japan-heat-wave-climate-record/

- -

/[ collecting data ] /
*Heat waves shattered records on 2 continents before summer began*
Andrew Freedman, author of Axios Generate
Two extraordinary heat waves sent temperatures soaring into uncharted
territory in Europe and the U.S. prior to the summer solstice, setting
new benchmarks for the month of June in several European countries.

*Why it matters: *The early season extreme heat is a development
meteorologists are calling "unsettling" and "unprecedented." These
events are a clear warning sign of global warming's growing influence on
day-to-day weather.

Heat waves are deceptively deadly, with heat illnesses striking the most
vulnerable among us, from the homeless to the elderly, along with poorer
residents who cannot afford air conditioning.
Such events are particularly dangerous when they occur in late spring or
early in the summer, before people are accustomed to the high temperatures..
- -
*The big picture:* The jet stream, which is a fast-flowing river of air
flowing from east to west at high altitudes in the Northern Hemisphere,
connects the two continental heat waves via a pattern of atmospheric
waves. During the past week, the jet stream across Europe and North
America have both been dominated by strong ridges of high pressure, also
known as heat domes.

    - In Europe, the heat wave began weeks ago as hot air built up over
    north Africa. This air mass eventually made its way northward into
    Spain. Aided by a highly amplified jet stream setup, the heat then
    surged into France and on to Central Europe.
    - A persistent area of low pressure centered west of Portugal helped
    draw the hot air northward through its counterclockwise airflow.
    - Across the U.S., the jet stream has been contorted aloft like a
    snake, with the heat dome currently centered in the middle of the
    country. Temperatures across the Midwest are forecast to reach the
    triple-digits Tuesday...

- -
*By the numbers: *The heat in Europe and the U.S. has not been your
typical summertime hot weather, in fact, the temperatures would be
unusual for midsummer, let alone mid-June. National June heat records
were set in Switzerland, Poland and the Czech Republic over the weekend.

     >200: Total number of monthly records set or tied in France, along
    with more than a dozen all-time heat records, according to weather
    historian Maximiliano Herrera.
    102.6°F (39.2°C): High temperature in Cottbus, Germany, on Sunday,
    which was the hottest day ever recorded in that location dating back
    to 1888.
    102.2°F (39.0°C): High temperature Sunday in Husinec, Czech
    Republic, which is now the hottest June temperature on record for
    the country.
    110.3°F (43.5°C): High temperature June 18 in San Sebastián, Spain,
    which was the hottest day ever recorded in that location.
    109.2°F (42.9°C): High temperature on June 18 at Biarritz, France,
    for its hottest day on record. This crushed the previous record,
    from August 2003, by 4°F.

- -
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/21/heat-wave-records-europe-north-america-summer

/[ Down Under ]/
*Sydney climate protests: Activists block streets and harbour tunnel*
By Tiffanie Turnbull
Climate protesters have brought parts of Sydney to a standstill,
blocking key roads and a tunnel during rush hour.

The Blockade Australia activists began disruptions on Monday in protest
of "Australia's ecological destruction".

Police said the protesters were "violent" and "erratic" while marching
through the city and blocking streets with barricades and bins.

Their actions angered some motorists, with one filmed driving through
the protest and colliding with people...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-61947201

/[ Global warming lets us whine over wine - what about beer? ] /
*Full-Bodied With Notes of Band-Aid and Medicine*
Climate change is altering wine as we know it.
By Ula Chrobak and Katarina Zimmer
- -
Compounds called free volatile phenols, produced when wood is burned,
seep into grapes, and accumulate mainly in the skins. The phenols are
bound up with sugars into odorless compounds called glycosides—until
fermentation, when some of these phenols break free, imparting the
distinct, overpowering flavor. (The breakdown continues in bottle or
barrel and mouth.) The taste is most pronounced when the berries are
bathed in fresh smoke rather than older smoke.

The experience is “retronasal,” meaning the aroma rises into your
sinuses once the wine is on your tongue; it’s estimated that about 20
percent of people can’t taste it. It’s primarily a threat to red wines,
because reds are fermented with the grape skins...
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/06/glass-fire-climate-change-impact-wine/661396/

/[  classic lecture on climates in the past  - using fossil proxies ...
video ] /
*Lessons From Paleoclimatology*
Apr 30, 2022  This is a "re-make" of a Zoom lecture recently given to
the ICSF and CLINTEL groups.  The content is identical to the original,
but this version has higher graphics resolution.  The presenter is Tom
Gallagher.
Tom looks back through 66 million years of the earth's history, and
reviews the factors that affected the climate.  He points out how
commonly-used climate "models" ignore this historical data, and end up
focusing on the wrong factors.
Here is the original ICSF/CLINTEL lecture: https://youtu.be/pj-Iu1i317E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6uhbNyK5GI

/[   Free book -- ] /
*CLIMATE TRAUMA RECONCILIATION & RECOVERY*
Zhiwa Woodbury
Panpsychologist & Spiritual Counselor
"The world today hangs by a thin thread, and that thread is the psyche
of man." C.G. Jung

We have a stark choice between our own eventual extermination or a near
term transformation. Such a transformation of human culture and the
global economy will not come about without a simultaneous shift in
collective consciousness. Trauma always raises questions of identity,
whether considered at the scale of the individual, a culture, or now
with the climate crisis, at the scale of an entire species. The choices
we humans are making now - and will continue to make - in response to
this spiritual emergency will determine whether we engender spiritual
emergence, the messy rebirth of our species, or instead we repeat the
kind of Great Dying that once wiped out 95% of all life on the planet,
and took 10 million years for the biosphere to recover. My purpose in
writing this book is to offer guidance and succor to all who those
natural healers and existential professionals in the world, all those
who hear the cries of the Earth, and all those advocating for climate
sanity in every arena of life, so that we may attend Gaia’s bedside and
serve as her spiritual midwives in planetary hospice. Whether Gaia is
now dying, just ill, or about to give birth is largely dependent on how
we, as a species, respond to her signals and attend to her needs.
https://www.global-witness.com/
[ pdf here ]  https://thubtenzhiwa.academia.edu/research#papers

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*June  27, 2006*/
'Countdown with Keith Olbermann' for June 27, 2006
transcript to the Tuesday show

    OLBERMANN:  There is also word that the Supreme Court will now hear
    a case that will decide whether or not the EPA, under the Bush
    administration, must legislate appropriate levels of carbon
    emissions by automobiles and power plants.

    We‘re joined now by Elizabeth Kolbert, writer from the “New Yorker”
    magazine, author of the book “Field Notes from a Catastrophe:  Man,
    Nature, and Climate Change.”

    Thank you for your time.

    ELIZABETH KOLBERT, “NEW YORKER”:  Thank you for having me.

    OLBERMANN:  Fact check on us the president‘s remarks from a little
    earlier.  A.  I have said that consistently that global warming is a
    serious problem; and B.  There‘s a debate over whether it‘s manmade
    or naturally caused.

    KOLBERT:  Well, he has said that it‘s a serious problem, so I have
    to give him that.  However, the debate, on the debate question he
    loses out, because there is no debate as he should show and really,
    to be honest, as many members of his own, you know, administration
    have told him.

    OLBERMANN:  There is, of course, a debate in the media.  Al Gore‘s
    documentary, we know about.  We also know now there are these
    television ads from the Competitive Enterprise Institute.  If
    anybody has not seen these, they are amazing.  Basically they‘re pro
    carbon emissions.  Let me play this one right now.

             (BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)
        ANNOUNCER:  It‘s called carbon dioxide, CO2, the fuels that
        produce CO2 have freed us from back breaking labor, lighting up
        our lives, allowing us to create and move the things we need,
        the people we love.  Now some politicians want to label carbon
        dioxide a pollutant.  Imagine if they succeed.  What would our
        lives be like then?  Carbon dioxide, they call it pollution, we
        call it life.
            (END VIDEOTAPE)

    OLBERMANN:  Apart from the end there, where we‘re flash back to the
    Lyndon Johnson “Daisy Ad” and we‘re expecting this little girl to
    start counting backwards from 10, is that the thrust of the
    arrangement being made against doing anything about CO2, that if we
    do there‘ll be no more electricity and we‘ll have to live in caves
    at the outskirts of town and pound ground with rocks for energy or
    something?

    KOLBERT:  Yeah, exactly.  George Bush has said, you know, that if we
    regulate CO2 it would ruin our economy and that‘s an argument that
    you hear all the time.  Unfortunately, it is probably just not true
    and in the meantime we‘re just wasting a lot of time, because I
    think everyone acknowledges eventually we are going to have to do that.

    OLBERMANN:  Give me the political playing field on this.  We know,
    obviously, where Mr. Gore stands.  Who are the other, if any,
    political figures who are picking up the global warming cajole (ph).

    KOLBERT:  Well, John McCain has been very outspoken.  He has a bill,
    the McCain-Lieberman Bill, that‘s been brought up twice, but
    unfortunately both times it‘s been defeated, that would regulate CO2
    emissions.

    OLBERMANN:  Is there anybody else or does it boil down to him and Gore?

    KOLBERT:  Well, there are—when McCain has brought his bill up, he‘s
    gotten a lot of democratic votes, he hasn‘t gotten a lot of
    republican votes.  He‘s gotten Hillary Clinton‘s vote, for example.
    Hillary Clinton has been very outspoken.  I know she and John McCain
    have actually taken trips together to the Arctic, to view where you
    can see the affects of climate change very, very dramatically up in
    places like Alaska and northern Canada.

    OLBERMANN:  Is there any hope to be drawn out of the news that the
    Supreme Court‘s going to hear arguments on the Bush administration
    and the need to regulate carbon emissions.  Can you describe what
    this case is and what implications might be of it?

    KOLBERT:  Sure, 12 states, including New York, where I‘m sitting
    now, and Massachusetts, where I live, have brought to the Supreme
    Court a case that demands, basically that the EPA regulates CO2
    under the Clean Air Act, classify it as a pollutant, a harmful
    pollutant, and therefore they‘d have to regulate it.  And then
    whether or not there‘s any chance that this could succeed is a
    really good question.  I don‘t think that anyone who watches the
    court carefully could say there‘s a terribly good chance, but on the
    other hand, you have to hope that the court took it—it was a divided
    lower court decision, and you have to hope the court took it in good
    faith and is really going to listen to the arguments on both sides.

    OLBERMANN:  Elizabeth Kolbert of the “New Yorker” magazine, and
    author of “Field Notes from a Catastrophe.”   Great thanks for your
    time.

    KOLBERT:  Thanks for having me.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna9354636

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*