[✔️] March 20, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sun Mar 20 08:58:26 EDT 2022

/*March 20, 2022*/

/[  Jane Fonda starts a new campaign - 2 min video message ]
/*Jane Fonda Climate PAC*
Mar 16, 2022
Jane PAC
https://youtu.be/gGTet_0OT3U

[ Jon Stewart commentary video ]
*Do We Even Need Fossil Fuels? Jon w/ Kendra Pierre-Louis | The Problem
With Jon Stewart Podcast*
Mar 19, 2022
The Problem With Jon Stewart
We don’t want to send the message that criticizing us on Twitter is a
ticket to the podcast...but that’s what climate reporter Kendra
Pierre-Louis did, and now here she is. Kendra had some issues with our
climate episode on Apple TV+, so Jon invited her on for a conversation.
And just like our planet, things heated up—insofar as you can call a
thoughtful exchange of ideas “heated up.”

Subscribe to The Problem with Jon Stewart podcast:
https://theproblem.link/ApplePodcast

Subscribe to The Problem with Jon Stewart’s YouTube channel:
https://theproblem.link/YouTube

Apple TV+ is a streaming service with original stories from the most
creative minds in TV and film. Watch now on the Apple TV app:
https://apple.co/AppleTVapp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J69ZPCtSLVg

/[ on the complexity of combustion ]/
*In a World on Fire, Stop Burning Things*
The truth is new and counterintuitive: we have the technology necessary
to rapidly ditch fossil fuels.
By Bill McKibben  -  March 18, 2022
- -
...here is one ethical element of the energy transition that we can’t
set aside: the climate crisis is deeply unfair—by and large, the less
you did to cause it, the harder and faster it hits you—but in the course
of trying to fix it we do have an opportunity to also remedy some of
that unfairness. For Americans, the best part of the Build Back Better
bill may be that it tries to target significant parts of its aid to
communities hardest hit by poverty and environmental damage, a residue
of the Green New Deal that is its parent. And advocates are already
pressing to insure that at least some of the new technology is owned by
local communities—by churches and local development agencies, not by the
solar-era equivalents of Koch Industries or Exxon.

Advocates are also calling for some of the first investments in green
transformations to happen in public-housing projects, on reservations,
and in public schools serving low-income students. There can be some
impatience from environmentalists who worry that such considerations
might slow down the transition. But, as Naomi Klein recently told me,
“The hard truth is that environmentalists can’t win the
emission-reduction fight on our own. Winning will take sweeping
alliances beyond the self-identified green bubble—with trade unions,
housing-rights advocates, racial-justice organizers, teachers, transit
workers, nurses, artists, and more. But, to build that kind of
coalition, climate action needs to hold out the promise of making daily
life better for the people who are most neglected right away—not far off
in the future. Green, affordable homes and water that is safe to drink
is something people will fight for a hell of a lot harder than carbon
pricing.”

These are principles that must apply around the world, for basic
fairness and because solving the climate crisis in just the U.S. would
be the most pyrrhic of victories. (They don’t call it “global warming”
for nothing.) In Glasgow, I sat down with Mohamed Nasheed, the former
President of the Maldives and the current speaker of the People’s
Majlis, the nation’s legislative body. He has been at the forefront of
climate action for decades, because the highest land in his country, an
archipelago that stretches across the equator in the Indian Ocean, is
just a few metres above sea level. At cop26, he was representing the
Climate Vulnerable Forum, a consortium of fifty-five of the nations with
the most to lose as temperatures rise. As he noted, poor countries have
gone deeply into debt trying to deal with the effects of climate change.
If they need to move an airport or shore up seawalls, or recover from a
devastating hurricane or record rainfall, borrowing may be their only
recourse. And borrowing gets harder, in part, because the climate risks
mean that lenders demand more. The climate premium on loans may approach
ten per cent, Nasheed said; some nations are already spending twenty per
cent of their budgets just paying interest. He suggested that it might
be time for a debt strike by poor nations.

The rapid fall in renewable-energy prices makes it more possible to
imagine the rest of the world chipping in. So far, though, the rich
countries haven’t even come up with the climate funds they promised the
Global South more than a decade ago, much less any compensation for the
ongoing damage that they have done the most to cause. (All of
sub-Saharan Africa is responsible for less than two per cent of the
carbon emissions currently heating the earth; the United States is
responsible for twenty-five per cent.)

Tom Athanasiou’s Berkeley-based organization EcoEquity, as part of the
Climate Equity Reference Project, has done the most detailed analyses of
who owes what in the climate fight. He found that the U.S. would have to
cut its emissions a hundred and seventy-five per cent to make up for the
damage it’s already caused—a statistical impossibility. Therefore, the
only way it can meet that burden is to help the rest of the world
transition to clean energy, and to help bear the costs that global
warming has already produced. As Athanasiou put it, “The pressing work
of decarbonization is only going to be embraced by the people of the
Global South if it comes as part of a package that includes adaptation
aid and disaster relief.”

I said at the start that there is one sublime exception to the rule that
we should be dousing fires, and that is the use of flame to control
flame, and to manage land—a skill developed over many millennia by the
original inhabitants of much of the world. Of all the fires burning on
Earth, none are more terrifying than the conflagrations that light the
arid West, the Mediterranean, the eucalyptus forests of Australia, and
the boreal woods of Siberia and the Canadian north. By last summer,
blazes in Oregon and Washington and British Columbia were fouling the
air across the continent in New York and New England. Smoke from fires
in the Russian far north choked the sky above the North Pole. For people
in these regions, fire has become a scary psychological companion during
the hot and dry months—and those months stretch out longer each year.
The San Francisco Chronicle recently asked whether parts of California,
once the nation’s idyll, were now effectively uninhabitable. In Siberia,
even last winter’s icy cold was not enough to blot out the blazes;
researchers reported “zombie fires” smoking and smoldering beneath feet
of snow. There’s no question that the climate crisis is driving these
great blazes—and also being driven by them, since they put huge clouds
of carbon into the air.

There’s also little question, at least in the West, that the fires,
though sparked by our new climate, feed on an accumulation of fuel left
there by a century of a strict policy which treated any fire as a threat
to be extinguished immediately. That policy ignored millennia of
Indigenous experience using fire as a tool, an experience now suddenly
in great demand. Indigenous people around the world have been at the
forefront of the climate movement, and they have often been skilled
early adopters of renewable energy. But they have also, in the past,
been able to use fire to fight fire: to burn when the risk is low, in an
effort to manage landscapes for safety and for productivity.

Frank Lake, a descendant of the Karuk tribe indigenous to what is now
northern California, works as a research ecologist at the U.S. Forest
Service, and he is helping to recover this old and useful technology. He
described a controlled burn in the autumn of 2015 near his house on the
Klamath River. “I have legacy acorn trees on my property,” he
said—meaning the great oaks that provided food for tribal people in ages
past—but those trees were hemmed in by fast-growing shrubs. “So we had
twenty-something fire personnel there that day, and they had their
equipment, and they laid hose. And I gave the operational briefing. I
said, ‘We’re going to be burning today to reduce hazardous fuels. And
also so we can gather acorns more easily, without the undergrowth, and
the pests attacking the trees.’ My wife was there and my five-year-old
son and my three-year-old daughter. And I lit a branch from a
lightning-struck sugar pine—it conveys its medicine from the
lightning—and with that I lit everyone’s drip torches, and then they
went to work burning. My son got to walk hand-in-hand down the fire line
with the burn boss.”

Lake’s work at the Forest Service involves helping tribes burn again.
It’s not always easy; some have been so decimated by the colonial
experience that they’ve lost their traditions. “Maybe they have two or
three generations that haven’t been allowed to burn,” he said. There are
important pockets of residual knowledge, often among elders, but they
can be reluctant to share that knowledge with others, Lake told me,
“fearful that it will be co-opted and that they’ll be kept out of the
leadership and decision-making.” But, for half a decade, the Indigenous
Peoples Burning Network—organized by various tribes, the Nature
Conservancy, and government agencies, including the Forest Service—has
slowly been expanding across the country. There are outposts in Oregon,
Minnesota, New Mexico, and in other parts of the world. Lake has
travelled to Australia to learn from aboriginal practitioners. “It’s
family-based burning. The kids get a Bic lighter and burn a little patch
of eucalyptus. The teen-agers a bigger area, adults much bigger swaths.
I just saw it all unfold.” As that knowledge and confidence is
recovered, it’s possible to imagine a world in which we’ve turned off
most of the man-made fires, and Indigenous people teach the rest of us
to use fire as the important force it was when we first discovered it.

Amy Cardinal Christianson, who works for the Canadian equivalent of the
Forest Service, is a member of the Métis Nation. Her family kept
trapping lines near Fort McMurray, in northern Alberta, but left them
for the city because the development of the vast tar-sands complex
overwhelmed the landscape. (That’s the hundred and seventy-three billion
barrels that Justin Trudeau says no country would leave in the ground—a
pool of carbon so vast the climate scientist James Hansen said that
pumping it from the ground would mean “game over for the climate.”) The
industrial fires it stoked have helped heat the Earth, and one result
was a truly terrifying forest fire that overtook Fort McMurray in 2016,
after a stretch of unseasonably high temperatures. The blaze forced the
evacuation of eighty-eight thousand people, and became the costliest
disaster in Canadian history.

“What we’re seeing now is bad fire,” Christianson said. “When we talk
about returning fire to the landscape, we’re talking about good fire. I
heard an elder describe it once as fire you could walk next to, fire of
a low intensity.” Fire that builds a mosaic of landscapes that, in turn,
act as natural firebreaks against devastating blazes; fire that opens
meadows where wildlife can flourish. “Fire is a kind of medicine for the
land. And it lets you carry out your culture—like, why you are in the
world, basically.”
https://www.newyorker.com/news/essay/in-a-world-on-fire-stop-burning-things

/[ The book is called Overshoot - the author Catton gives us an
"evaporation of judgement "]/
* "Overshoot" author William R. Catton, Jr.*

"Our day-to-day experiences over the past decade have taught us that
there must be limits to our tremendous appetite for energy, natural
resources, and consumer goods. Even utility and oil companies now
promote conservation in the face of demands for dwindling energy
reserves". ... Google Books

from Amazon - Catton’s “  Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of
Revolutionary Change” is one of the great and profoundly disturbing
books of the 20th century. It is a point of departure for anyone
desiring, first and foremost, to view the world through an ecological
lens, rather than a faulty and dubious political or cultural one. Catton
was a big influence on some of our best contemporary writers on the
phenomena of why civilizations tend to rise and then inevitably
collapse. John Michael Greer, James Kunstler, Richard Heinberg, Paul
Chefurka, George Mobus- among the many, and then Peter Goodchild who
stated that his worldview was defined simply by those who have read
“Overshoot" and those who haven’t. Unfortunately, awareness of the
existential predicament we face is not widely understood -so the road to
crash and die-off is looking more and more like an eighteen lane, no
speed limit, super highway..."

https://www.amazon.com/Overshoot-Ecological-Basis-Revolutionary-Change-ebook/dp/B00VVH4UGG/ref=sr_1_1
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&tn=overshoot&an=Catton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPMPINPcrdk
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2snsx2

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/319810.Overshoot
*Interview with "Overshoot" author William R. Catton, Jr.*
littlebigfred

"This is an interview with William R. Catton, Jr., conducted on August
9, 2008 at his home near Tacoma, Washington, USA. Catton is the author
of the seminal book, "Overshoot: The Ecological Basis of Revolutionary
Change," published in 1980. In the interview he outlines the major
themes of his book: stealing from the future, exuberant growth, takeover
and drawdown, industrialization, carrying capacity deficit, the absence
of real
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2snsx2

- -

[ Today in Arizona ]
*Arizona drought conditions are expected to worsen through the spring,
forecast says*
Zayna Syed - - Arizona Republic

Arizona drought conditions are expected to worsen through the spring,
forecast says

Drought will continue into the spring months across Arizona, increasing
wildfire risk and stress on water resources and agriculture, according
to a new forecast by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The projected level of drought means there will likely be a
below-average snowpack in the mountains, drier than normal soil moisture
and a lack of water availability in places, according to Brad Pugh, a
meteorologist with the Climate Prediction Center at NOAA.

Arizona has experienced a long-term drought dating back to 1996, which
was exacerbated by a dry monsoon season in 2020, when the state received
little rain in July, August and September...
- -
The latest drought monitor shows wide areas of drought in Arizona.
Svoma said unlike the Colorado River system, SRP’s reservoir levels
haven’t changed much since Arizona’s 26-year drought began. The
reservoir is currently at 72% capacity. In May 1995, it was at 75%
capacity.

“This drought is thought to be the worst in the last 700 years and SRP
storage is pretty much the same now as it was at the beginning of the
drought,” he said. “And that is certainly not the case for the Colorado
River reservoir system, which has steadily gone down through that severe
drought.” ..
“It's important to look at drought through where you get your water
from,” Svoma said. “So if you get your water from the Colorado River,
then your drought’s tied to storage in Lake Mead and Lake Powell, which
is a multi-decade thing, bleak to climate change. If you get your water
from Salt River Project, then this last dry winter is not really having
a big impact. If you get your water from wells, then maybe you got to
think a little harder about how a single wet winter impacts your water
situation.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-environment/2022/03/19/forecast-calls-for-worsening-drought-conditions-in-arizona/7100076001/

/[  The messages may change, but the physical laws over reality remain
ruthless and rigid ] /

*There’s a Messaging Battle Right Now Over America’s Energy Future*
Climate scientists and fossil fuel executives use the same terms when
they talk about an energy transition. But they mean starkly different
things.

/[ 12 min video explaining mis+dis-information from mass media -- talk
about talking about global warming ]/
//*It's hard to care about climate change*
Mar 18, 2022
DW Planet A
Bringing up climate change is one tried and true way to ruin a dinner
party — and leave people feeling helpless and apathetic. But it doesn't
have to be that way, if we change how we communicate. So let's talk,
about how we talk, about climate change.

Reporter: Amanda Coulson-Drasner

We're destroying our environment at an alarming rate. But it doesn't
need to be this way. Our channel explores the shift towards an
eco-friendly world — and challenges our ideas about what dealing with
climate change means. We look at the big and the small: What we can do
and how the system needs to change. Every Friday we'll take a truly
global look at how to get us out of this mess.
Read more:
Climate disinformation database:
https://www.desmog.com/climate-disinf...

Barriers to climate reporting:
https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox....

How to have a climate conversation:
https://climateoutreach.org/reports/h...

Discourses of delay:
https://www.celinekeller.com/discours...

(Almost) all scientists agree on climate change:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...

Media attention on climate change:
https://sci-hub.se/10.1016/j.gloenvch...

IPCC Report: https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg1/do...

    00:00 Intro
    01:26 How bad is it?
    02:45 Climate science is complicated
    05:12 Balance as bias
    08:22 How we feel
    10:26 Solutions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7g6pgaC7I

/[ Ooops.  too high, good bye, ]/
*Recent Megafire Smoke Columns Have Reached the Stratosphere,
Threatening Earth’s Ozone Shield*
New research warns that wildfire emissions could unravel progress made
under the Montreal Protocol to shrink atmospheric ozone holes.

Scientists researching how the recent spike in extreme wildfires affects
the climate say that just a few weeks of smoke surging high into the
stratosphere from one intense fire can wipe out years of progress
restoring Earth’s life-protecting ozone layer.

Close study of Australia’s intense Black Summer fires in late 2019 and
early 2020 suggests the smoke they emitted was a “tremendous kick” to
the atmosphere, depleting the ozone layer by 1 percent, said MIT
scientist Susan Solomon.

“The ozone layer protects all life on the planet from ultraviolet
radiation,” said Solomon, who was one of the pioneers in explaining how
pollution depletes ozone while she was a researcher with the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “You know that, if you’ve ever
been sunburned, it increases the risk of skin cancer and eye damage.”

“Of course if it does those things to you, you can only imagine what it
does to plants and animals,” she added. With numerous studies showing
how UV radiation can damage certain crops and other plants, there is
“good reason to be worried about safeguarding the ozone layer in a
healthy state.”

The impacts of declining atmospheric ozone are not isolated to the poles.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/17032022/megafire-stratosphere/

/[  interesting video interview with the director and editor  ] /
*‘Don’t Look Up’: THR Presents Q&A With Adam McKay and Hank Corwin*
Mar 18, 2022
The Hollywood Reporter
The Hollywood Reporter’s Scott Feinberg sat down with writer/director
Adam McKay and film editor Hank Corwin to discuss their film ‘Don’t Look
Up’ in a THR Q&A powered by Vision Media.
https://youtu.be/Q44-xnKpQ8M

/[ Something about Palm Oil  - look for certified oils ]/
*Palm oil isn't as bad as you think*
Mar 4, 2022
DW Planet A
Few ingredients are as widespread or as notorious as palm oil. But
although this crop is a major driver of deforestation, this oil might
just be our most sustainable option. So what can we do to make palm oil
production more sustainable?

Reporter: Adam Levy
Camera: Adam Levy
Video Editor: Adam Levy & Frederik Willmann
Supervising Editor: Kiyo Dörrer & Joanna Gottschalk

We're destroying our environment at an alarming rate. But it doesn't
need to be this way. Our channel explores the shift towards an
eco-friendly world — and challenges our ideas about what dealing with
climate change means. We look at the big and the small: What we can do
and how the system needs to change. Every Friday we'll take a truly
global look at how to get us out of this mess.

Read More:
How palm oil production can grow without converting rainforests,
peatlands: https://sustainabilitycommunity.sprin...

Eight things to know about palm oil:
https://www.wwf.org.uk/updates/8-thin...

Palm oil and global warming: https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/...

Global Forest Watch: https://www.globalforestwatch.org/

Palm oil in cosmetics: https://www.treehugger.com/palm-oil-c...

Special thanks for the background interviews:
Rory Padfield, University of Leeds
Patricio Grassini, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Inke Van Der Sluijs, Roundtable for Sustainable Palmoil
Erik Meijaard, Borneo Futures
Fitrian Ardiansyah, The Sustainable Trade Initiative
Jocelyn Zuckerman, Reporter and author
Adam Tomassi-Russell, PhD Oxford, for chemistry consultation
Chapters:

    00:00 Intro
    00:41 Why palm oil is popular
    03:17 The problems with palm oil
    04:42 Palm oil's incredible production
    06:24 Certification?
    07:09 Watch from the skies
    08:12 Palm oil from the lab
    08:53 Conclusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTSLzEJnYIw

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*March 20, *
March 20, 2007: In a published interview, then-Rep. Wayne Gilchrest
(R-MD) notes that he was blocked from being appointed to the bipartisan
Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming by House
Minority Leader John Boehner because Gilchrest refused to disavow the
overwhelming evidence of human-caused climate change. Gilchrest also
notes that fellow Republican Roy Blunt of Missouri "…said he didn't
think there was enough evidence to suggest that humans are causing
global warming," Gilchrest said. "Right there, holy cow, there's like
9,000 scientists to three on that one."
http://www.orangepower.com/threads/global-warming-panel-makeup-questioned.33589/

More information from daily summaries
Climate Nexus      https://climatenexus.org/hot-news/