[✔️] March 19, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Sat Mar 19 10:11:33 EDT 2022

/*March 19, 2022*/

/[ Always talking about the weather ]/
*It’s 70 degrees warmer than normal in eastern Antarctica. Scientists
are flabbergasted.*
‘This event is completely unprecedented and upended our expectations
about the Antarctic climate system,’ one expert said
By Jason Samenow and Kasha Patel
March 18, 2022
The coldest location on the planet has experienced an episode of warm
weather this week unlike any ever observed, with temperatures over the
eastern Antarctic ice sheet soaring 50 to 90 degrees above normal. The
warmth has smashed records and shocked scientists...
- -
The average high temperature in Vostok — at the center of the eastern
ice sheet — is around minus-63 (minus-53 Celsius) in March. But on
Friday, the temperature leaped to zero (minus-17.7 Celsius), the warmest
it’s been there during March since record keeping began 65 years ago. It
broke the previous monthly record by a staggering 27 degrees (15 Celsius)...
--
The historically high temperatures in Antarctica follow a pulse of
exceptional warmth on the planet’s opposite end. On Wednesday,

- -

[ another from the Washington Post ]
*Biden’s chance to tackle climate change is fading amid global energy
upheaval*
High fuel prices have led to calls for a supercharged clean energy
transition, but Democrats still lack a legislative strategy to advance
their climate agenda
By Anna Phillips and Tony Romm
March 18, 2022...
- -
“I worry all the time we’re going to miss this moment to take bold
action on climate,” Sen. Tina Smith (D-Minn.) said in an interview
Thursday. “Taking steps right now to lower energy prices for Americans …
I think is a good thing. But that’s not going to be a real solution if
we don’t come up with long-term solutions.”

Sustained opposition by Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) has bogged down a
bill that includes about $300 billion of tax credits for wind, solar and
nuclear energy producers and other incentives to boost the clean
hydrogen and battery storage industries.

Last month, Democratic Sens. Ron Wyden (Ore.), Patty Murray (Wash.) and
Thomas R. Carper (Del.) — who oversee key tax, education, and health and
environment committees — each tried to engage Manchin in formal,
detailed negotiations, according to two people familiar with the matter
who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private
outreach. But Manchin wouldn’t engage, they said: His focus remained
fixed on other fiscal matters and on curbing inflation...
- -
On Thursday, the left-leaning Congressional Progressive Caucus issued a
litany of recommendations for Biden to act unilaterally, stressing that
the country no longer can wait on Congress. The list included ending
subsidies for fossil fuels and declaring a “national climate emergency.”

“It is a myth you could drill and suddenly lower oil prices,” said Rep.
Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), the caucus’s leader, adding that climate
investments would instead “show the world that is the direction we need
to move.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/03/18/russian-energy-ukraine-climate-change/

/[//opinion with global warming, everything is connected -- "inimical"
adjective - tending to obstruct or harm.//
//"actions inimical to our interests"  audio podcast ]/
*PLAYING WITH FIRE: RUSSIA, UKRAINE AND THE GEOPOLITICS OF ENERGY*
March 18th, 2022 - Greg Dalton in Climate One
The past several weeks have shaken the world order and given us a lot to
process all at once. The IPCC released its latest report the same day
the U.S. Supreme Court heard the most environmentally significant case
in a decade, all while Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is dominating
headlines and policy agendas.
West Virginia v. EPA deals with the central ability of the U.S. federal
government to respond to carbon pollution. Erwin Chemerinsky, dean of
Berkeley Law, says there's a huge range of possible outcomes on the
case, ranging from the court dismissing it because there’s no regulation
being challenged to ruling on the breadth of the EPA’s authority to
reduce emissions.
“West Virginia argues in this case that the Supreme Court should find
that the broad delegation of power to the Environmental Protection
Agency is unconstitutional…If the Supreme Court were to say that
Congress can't give agencies broad authority to deal with problems, it
would put the EPA’s authority under the Clean Air Act and other statutes
in jeopardy, but it would put in jeopardy the authority of every federal
agency.”
Oral arguments in the case were heard on the same day that the IPCC
released its latest assessment report, which says nations aren’t doing
nearly enough to protect people from the climate disruption we’ve
already seen – like droughts, fires, rising sea levels – let alone from
the greater hazards we expect as warming continues. If we don’t
decarbonize more quickly, we are likely to see changes faster than we
can adapt to them.
UN Secretary-General António Guterres described the report as “an atlas
of human suffering and a damning indictment of failed climate leadership.”
All this comes as Russia continues its war on Ukraine, which could
impact the global energy system for decades.
Russia’s economy is heavily dependent on fossil fuels. Just last year,
the EU was getting about 25% of its oil and 45% of its gas from Russia.
Since WWII, the dominant thinking has been that trade among nations
promotes economic interdependence and reduces the chances of armed
conflict. But Amy Myers Jaffe, managing director of the Climate Policy
Lab at Tufts University, says Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is disproving
that view:
“For those who were not on board with the speed and pace of change we
needed from the climate emergency, many of those citizens are now
understanding that this high dependence on Russian oil or oil from other
countries that might be inimical to Western democracy, that this is a
problem,” she says.
Europe is now faced with trying to move away from Russian fossil fuels
quickly. One option could be more liquid natural gas from the U.S.,
which would require building new expensive and environmentally
controversial LNG terminals. Jaffe says there are ways to reduce the
carbon emissions from methane gas production in the U.S., and we could
also explore new tools like virtual power plants – installing batteries
and solar panels across a region that a utility can tap into at times of
high demand.
As gasoline prices rise, President Biden has been pressured to ramp up
domestic drilling – even though that would not lower short-term gasoline
prices set by global markets. Biden did release oil from the strategic
reserve to help temporarily. But he rejects the notion that the U.S.
should relax environmental protections to boost drilling. He says we
should instead accelerate the transition to more renewable energy sources.
High gas prices will almost certainly cause additional pain for
Democrats in the midterms. But Jaffe says those who can should also
reconsider their own use of fossil fuels: “We're in a war. We can feel
like that war is far away and doesn't involve us, but…that involvement
means we need to reduce how much oil is used in the world.”
“When you think about the climate emergency and you think about wanting
to support democracy in Europe, the action is the same,” she says. “You
need to think about ways to reduce your carbon footprint, which are also
ways that are going to reduce the amount of money going to Russia. All
of those things are the same. We're waiting for someone to do it
outside, or we could do it ourselves.”
Listen now https://t.e2ma.net/click/8d3pjj/k7tzj3v/cttr3ib
https://www.climateone.org/audio/playing-fire-russia-ukraine-and-geopolitics-energy

- -

/[commentary on Supreme Court about to rule ]/
*Erwin Chemerinsky: *There's a huge range of possible outcomes. One is
the court will dismiss the case as certiorari improvidently granted,
realizing there's no regulation being challenged. So there's no need for
a decision. Another possible outcome is the court could write an opinion
saying that there's no standing at this point because West Virginia, the
coal companies aren't injured. Or the Supreme Court could find there is
standing to review the DC circuit decision. Chief Justice Roberts seemed
to indicate he thinks so at the oral argument, and then the court would
construe the EPA’s authority. And if it does that, the question is, will
they do so narrowly, as West Virginia and the coal companies want,
saying that the EPA can regulate only within the fence line of the power
plant, or would it take the position of the DC circuit and the Obama
administration that the EPA has much broader authority to have the best
reduction in emissions. The court could have even go further than that.
There's briefs that were filed in this case, West Virginia argues in
this case that the Supreme Court should find that the broad delegation
of power to the environmental protection agency is unconstitutional. If
the Supreme Court goes there, it could put in jeopardy countless federal
statutes in the environmental and other areas. There's also a lot of
discussion about the so-called major questions doctrine. What is a major
question? What does it mean if it's a major question? When is it that
only Congress can rule on major questions? So all of these are before
the court and depending on what the court decides, it could be a
relatively unimportant case or one of the most significant in our lifetime.

*Greg Dalton: *And that significance being that if it really curtails
the EPA’s ability to address greenhouse gasses.

*Erwin Chemerinsky:* If the Supreme Court were to say that Congress
can't give agencies broad authority to deal with problems, it would put
the EPA’s authority under the clean air act and other statutes in
jeopardy, but it would put in jeopardy the authority of every federal
agency. This isn't fanciful. There very well may now be a majority of
justices on the court who want to say that Congress can't give agencies
broad authority.
*
**Greg Dalton: *Right. One of the big battle lines between the
conservative about the power of government. We should note that you
issued an amicus brief in this case. And based on what you heard in the
hearings, care to make a prediction on which way it will go?
*
**Erwin Chemerinsky: *I long ago learned that making predictions of
Supreme Court arguments is like reading tea leaves and I've gotten it
wrong in many instances, including in cases that I argued. But you're
right. I did write a brief, it was on behalf of Senator Sheldon
Whitehouse, and also senators Richard Blumenthal, Bernie Sanders, and
Elizabeth Warren. And it made exactly the points we're talking about
here. Why there's no case properly before the court and why the court
needs to give the EPA the authority to deal with the urgent problem of
climate change...
Erwin Chemerinsky is Dean of Berkeley Law.
https://www.climateone.org/audio/playing-fire-russia-ukraine-and-geopolitics-energy

/[  Teaching climate change -- a wonderful video ] /
*“Teaching Climate Change” with Krista Hiser*
Mar 8, 2022
The Poetry of Predicament
Krista Hiser teaches English among other things at Kapi'olani Community
College in Hawaii.

She is part of a gathering of educators, scientists and concerned people
from a wide range of fields who are coming together to explore new
dimensions, new methods of communicating some of the most challenging
topics of our predicament-laden world.

*** That 'organization'... Existential Toolkit.
Their YouTube channel... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPU_...
_____
Krista covers a lot of very useful and informative material about
climate change education - and more importantly, offers us a sampling of
how some people are able to engage more of their hearts, their
relationships, what matters most to them beyond the content or the facts.
__
find some of her writings:
Kristahiser at teachingclimatechange.medium.com
_____
 From the original show notes for this posting...

Krista Hiser is a professor at Kapiʻolani Community College where she
teaches composition, climate communication, and climate fiction. Her PhD
in Educational Administration focused on students as stakeholders in
sustainability curriculum. Krista serves as Director of the UH System
Center for Sustainability Across the Curriculum, where she supports
faculty in updating and transforming courses to include sustainability
and climate change education. She is active in sustainability
organizations including AASHE, Global Council for Science and the
Environment, and the Sustainability Curriculum Council. Krista also
publishes a Field Notes blog on Medium, Teaching Climate Change in
Higher Education.
_____

The Poetry of Predicament Podcast.
Living Resilience / Deep Academy: Offering transformative support and
resources to people bravely facing the human-caused Collapse of Earth
and Human Systems…

Dancing at the Edge: Transformative Resilience facing our very human
Predicament.
_____
Find many other resources and subscribe to our newsletter on our
website: https://livingresilience.net

* Safe Circle Support Groups / Tuesday nights 6p-730p Pacific Time
* Transformational Resilience Coaching for Individuals and Groups
_____
And, on the Deep Academy Programs page:
https://livingresilience.net/deepacademy/
- Online Learning Series:
Start with our two-part Introductory Series: Living in Two Worlds and,
Resilience.

Subscribe to our special focus podcast series: Take My Hand: Conscious
Parenting in a Time of Stolen Dreams

For those ready for a deep dive into the Collapse-Aware conversation,
and the expansion of capacity for presence in the face of larger and
larger stressors... consider joining us in our ongoing Community of
Practice.
Contact Dean Walker for further details...
__

Contact: Dean Spillane - Walker
safecircle at gmail.com
https://livingresilience.net
Podcast: The Poetry of Predicament (YouTube channel)

Deep Academy Online Learning

Safe Circle Support
Dean’s Coaching / Guidance Practice as described in his Deep Adaptation
Forum listing:
https://guidance.deepadaptation.info/guide/dean-spillane-walker/#more-1059
Support this work financially through Paypal: safecircle at gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfCfX8IssoE

/[   From Columbia Journalism Review ] /
*Journalists grapple with the American energy crisis*
By Andrew McCormick, CJR
MARCH 17, 2022
- -
So, ...a lot of the fossil fuel boosterism on display from industry
representatives and their friends in government “may be more rhetorical
ploy than reality,” as Somini Sengupta wrote recently in the New York
Times. “There are labor and supply chain constraints, and, anyway,
drilling for more oil and gas in the United States now would do nothing
to bring down prices in the short term.”

The Times has been among several outlets to cut through the noise in
recent weeks, evidenced by this notably direct headline: “Republicans
Wrongly Blame Biden for Rising Gas Prices.” Vox’s Rebecca Leber was also
on point with an explainer that unpacks and debunks the energy-related
myths that dominate right-wing talking points. “There are many problems
with these claims, and the stakes of this conversation are very high,”
Leber wrote. “The way western Europe and the US respond to this crisis
could determine the course on climate change and energy costs in the
long run.”

Strong work like this was counterweighted, however, by clumsier coverage
elsewhere. Headlines like “GOP blames Biden for gas prices after pushing
for Russian oil ban” (ABC News) and “Republicans cheer Russian oil ban
and jeer Biden for rising gas prices” (NBC News)—pointed out by Jennifer
Rubin in the Washington Post—gave credence to Republican messaging while
also reducing a complex and, for many, personal topic to a political
spit fight. To boot, on television news programs, Rubin observed, many
hosts and anchors were failing to push back on guests making verifiably
false claims.

A quick search yielded similar problems in Politico, The Hill, Forbes,
and many other outlets. Not all these stories skipped over expertise
entirely, but in most the facts of America’s energy situation were
buried well beneath the political back-and-forth. In some cases, even
outlets aiming to set the record straight struggled. A handful of local
news stations, for example, ran with some version of the question “Will
opening the Keystone pipeline lower gas prices?” These articles were
well-intentioned and answered, unambiguously, “No,” but disinformation
experts advise that open-ended framing like this, given that many people
will never read past the headline, tends to reinforce the false narrative.

Why does all this matter? Set aside for a moment journalists’
responsibility to be honest moderators of American political discourse.
In late February, just after Russia invaded Ukraine, a major new report
by the UN warned that climate change is advancing rapidly and might soon
outpace humanity’s ability to adapt, unless we halt fossil fuel
consumption and rein in other sources of greenhouse gas emissions. The
report had its moment in the headlines, but as bombs fell over Kyiv and
Russian troops advanced farther into Ukraine, understandably it faded
from the news cycle. The fact remains, however, that humanity has
vanishingly little time to implement far-reaching change if it hopes to
limit global heating to 1.5 degrees Celsius and thereby avoid the worst
climate impacts.

For the foreseeable future, every government decision related to fossil
fuels and clean energy carries direct implications for our collective
climate fortunes. For journalists, then, clarity and accuracy on these
subjects aren’t just journalistic best practices—they’re existential
imperatives. We should leave cynical politics to the politicians; even
in the context of a frightening new war, this is a climate change story.
Much coverage of the current energy debate has not mentioned climate at all.

And journalists worried that accuracy here might result in the
appearance of partisan bias should rest easy. Planetary survival isn’t a
question of Republicans and Democrats—to be certain, it’s not only
politicians on the right pushing dubious energy policies. Disinformation
in the climate space is challenging enough already; for a long time,
journalists fell for it, contributing in no small part to humanity’s
current predicament. At this critical juncture, let’s stop doing favors
for those willing to argue in bad faith.

Has America ever needed a media watchdog more than now? Help us by
joining CJR today.
Andrew McCormick is an independent journalist and former CJR Delacorte
Fellow. His work has appeared in the New York Times, The Atlantic, the
South China Morning Post, and more. Follow him on Twitter @AndrewMcCormck.
https://www.cjr.org/covering_climate_now/energy-crisis-ukraine-russia-trump.php

/[   great audio interview  ]/
*Confronting the crisis: Systems, solutions and stories | Ugo Bardi*
Nov 23, 2021
Planet: Critical
Ugo Bardi is a Professor in Physical Chemistry at the University of
Florence, and a member of the Club of Rome. His work focuses on
promoting a sustainable transition to renewable energy on the basis of a
quantitative energy yield analysis. In his blog, he examines among other
things the “Seneca Effect”, a biophysical interpretation of the collapse
of complex systems.

In this fascinating interview Ugo ranges from discussing what killed the
dinosaurs to revealing a theory of evolution that could radically
transform how we combat the climate crisis. He also provides details on
some of the most exciting technological advancements which could help us
navigate our energy, economic and ecological crises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQxHFzrJpNo

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*March 19, 1989*

Senator Al Gore (D-TN), writing in the New York Times, observes, "In
1987, carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere began to surge with record
annual increases. Global temperatures are also climbing: 1987 was the
second hottest year on record; 1988 was the hottest. Scientists now
predict our current course will raise world temperatures five degrees
Celsius in our lifetimes. The last time there was such a shift, it was
five degrees colder; New York City was under one kilometer of ice. If
five degrees colder over thousands of years produces an ice age, what
could five degrees warmer produce in a lifetime? In a classic
experiment, a frog dropped in boiling water jumps out. The same frog,
put in the water before it is slowly boiled, remains in the pot. Our
environment is at the boiling point. Will we react?"

    *An Ecological Kristallnacht. Listen.
    *By Albert Gore
    March 19, 1989*

    Humankind has suddenly entered into a brand new relationship with
    our planet.**
    *
    Unless we quickly and profoundly change the course of our
    civilization, we face an immediate and grave danger of destroying
    the worldwide ecological system that sustains life as we know it.

    It is time to confront this danger.

    In 1939, as clouds of war gathered over Europe, many refused to
    recognize what was about to happen. No one could imagine a
    Holocaust, even after shattered glass had filled the streets on
    Kristallnacht. World leaders waffled and waited, hoping that Hitler
    was not what he seemed, that world war could be avoided. Later, when
    aerial photographs revealed death camps, many pretended not to see.
    Even now, many fail to acknowledge that our victory was not only
    over Nazism but also over dark forces deep within us.

    In 1989, clouds of a different sort signal an environmental
    holocaust without precedent. Once again, world leaders waffle,
    hoping the danger will dissipate. Yet today the evidence is as clear
    as the sounds of glass shattering in Berlin.

        -- The earth's forests are being destroyed at the rate of one
        football field's worth every second, one Tennessee's worth every
        year.

        -- An enormous hole is opening in the ozone layer, reducing the
        earth's ability to protect life from deadly ultraviolet radiation.

        -- Living species die at such an unprecedented rate that more
        than half may disappear within our lifetimes.

        -- Chemical wastes, in growing volumes, seep downward to poison
        ground water and upward to destroy the atmosphere's delicate
        balance.

        -- Huge quantities of carbon dioxide, methane and
        chlorofluorocarbons dumped in the atmosphere have trapped heat
        and raised global temperatures.

    Why are these dramatic changes taking place? Because the human
    population is surging. (It took a million years to reach two billion
    people. In the last 40 years, world population has doubled. And in
    the next 40 years, the number of people could double again.) Because
    the industrial, scientific and technological revolutions magnify the
    environmental impact of these increases, and because we tolerate
    self-destructive behavior and environmental vandalism on a global scale.

    Why, once again, do we fail to rally our forces? Much of the world
    closed its eyes as Hitler marched because the only adequate response
    was a horrible war many hoped to avoid. Do we now shrink from the
    unimaginably difficult response demanded by the global environmental
    crisis, and hope against hope that it will yet prove unnecessary?
    This crisis is so different from anything before that it is hard to
    believe it is real. We seize scientific uncertainties, however
    small, as excuses for inaction. Some, like Prime Minister Neville
    Chamberlain in Munich, would rather adapt to the threat than
    confront it. This time, they are protected not by an umbrella but by
    floppy hats and sunglasses.

    Our complacency stems in part from a standard of living dependent on
    rapid consumption of the earth's resources. Our generation has
    inherited the idea that we have the right to appropriate for
    ourselves the earth's accumulated treasures as quickly as we can
    consume them. We reach back through millions of years for the
    deposits that fuel our industrial civilization.

    Just as a drug addict needs increasing doses to produce the same
    effect, our global appetite for the earth's abundance grows each
    year. We transform the resources of the past into the pollution of
    the future, telescoping time for self-indulgence in the present.

    In 1987, carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere began to surge with
    record annual increases. Global temperatures are also climbing: 1987
    was the second hottest year on record; 1988 was the hottest.
    Scientists now predect our current course will raise world
    temperatures five degrees Celsius in our lifetimes. The last time
    there was such a shift, it was five degrees colder; New York City
    was under one kilometer of ice. If five degrees colder over
    thousands of years produces an ice age, what could five degrees
    warmer produce in a lifetime? In a classic experiment, a frog
    dropped in boiling water jumps out. The same frog, put in the water
    before it is slowly boiled, remains in the pot. Our environment is
    at the boiling point. Will we react?

    The 1990's are the decade of decision. Profound changes are
    required. We must create a new global compact for sustainable
    development -for example, trading debts for shared environmental
    stewardship. Our agenda must include the following:

        -- A worldwide ban in five years on chlorofluorocarbons, which
        simultaneously destroy the protective ozone layer and cause up
        to 20 percent of global warming.

        -- Rapid reductions in carbon dioxide emissions, through
        increased vehicle mileage standards, increased energy efficiency
        and development of alternative energy sources.
        --A global halt to destruction of forests and swift
        implementation of worldwide reforestation programs.

        -- A ban within five years on packaging that is neither
        recyclable nor naturally degradable, a comprehensive waste
        minimization program and aggressive efforts to control emissions
        of methane from landfills and other sources.

        -- A series of global summit meetings to seek the unprecedented
        international cooperation the environmental crisis will demand.

    In the 1940's, as victory neared over the dark forces unleashed on
    Kristallnacht, Gen. Omar Bradley offered advice that is once again
    relevant to the challenge that confronts humanity: ''It is time we
    steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/19/opinion/an-ecological-kristallnacht-listen.html

More daily summaries
---------------------------------------
Climate Nexus https://climatenexus.org/hot-news/

Carbon Brief Daily https://www.carbonbrief.org/newsletter-sign-up

The Daily Climate   Subscribe https://ehsciences.activehosted.com/f/61*
Other newsletters too
more at https://www.dailyclimate.org/originals/

- -

[After you get news, it's time to check the listings in databases]
*SourceWatch and DeSmogBlog*
https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=SourceWatch
https://www.desmog.com/databases/