[✔️] March 31, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest.

👀 Richard Pauli richard at theclimate.vote
Thu Mar 31 07:41:36 EDT 2022

/*March 31, 2022*/

/[ Originally a 1965 Teach-Ins interrupted classrooms to learn about the
VietNam war ]/
*Penn State Behrend holds teach-in on climate change*
by: Jordana Elder
Mar 30, 2022
Students and staff at a local college came together in hopes of sparking
change.

A world-wide teach-in on climate change justice took place at Penn State
Behrend on March 30.

The global event, which spanned over 50 countries, focused on broadening
the discussion around climate change, and included ways that people
could help reduce stress on the planet.

Organizers said that several disciplines across campus play a role in
this issue and there’s something everyone can do.

“Climate change is occurring globally. It really requires global
actions, global conversations, it needs all of us kind of thinking about
this and being part of the change,” said Sherri Mason, Director of
Sustainability for Penn State Behrend.

This is the inaugural year for the world-wide teach in at Behrend.
Organizers are hoping to make this an annual event on campus.
https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-news/penn-state-behrend-holds-teach-in-on-climate-change/
/[Penn State Behrend is a commonwealth campus of Pennsylvania State
University and it is located in Erie, Pennsylvania. ]/

- -

/[ Nationwide, classes were interrupted in 1967  - Wikipedia describes
it well ]/
*Teach-in*
 From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A teach-in is similar to a general educational forum on any complicated
issue, usually an issue involving current political affairs. The main
difference between a teach-in and a seminar is the refusal to limit the
discussion to a specific time frame or a strict academic scope.
Teach-ins are meant to be practical, participatory, and oriented toward
action. While they include experts lecturing on their area of expertise,
discussion and questions from the audience are welcome, even
mid-lecture. "Teach-ins" were popularized during the U.S. government's
involvement in Vietnam. The first teach-in, which was held overnight at
the University of Michigan in March 1965, began with a discussion of the
Vietnam War draft and ended in the early morning with a speech by
philosopher Arnold Kaufman...
- -
The Michigan teach-in received national press, including an article
published in the March 25, 1965 issue of the New York Times. It went on
to inspire 35 more teach-ins on college campuses within the next week.
By the end of the year, there had been teach-ins at 120 campuses.
Antiwar teach-ins were held until the end of the Vietnam War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teach-in

/[ Two geeky-deep NASA talks about science and services available --
videos]/
*NASA ARSET: Climate Change Monitoring & Impacts Using Remote Sensing
and Modeled Data, Part 1/2*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnnIz2C5Ny4

*NASA ARSET: Climate Change Future Scenarios, Impact Projection, and
Adaptation, Part 2/2*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vC6_H_0iI

Oct 7, 2021
NASA Videos
Introduction to NASA Resources for Climate Change Applications

*NASA ARSET: Climate Change Monitoring & Impacts Using Remote Sensing
and Modeled Data, Part 1/2*
Sep 30, 2021
NASA Video
Introduction to NASA Resources for Climate Change Applications

Part 1: Climate Change Monitoring & Impacts Using Remote Sensing and
Modeled Data

Speakers: Amita Mehta & Sean McCartney
- Introduction to the main components relevant to climate change decision
   making
- The role of Earth observations in climate change assessment
- Monitoring climate change impacts using NASA data

*NASA ARSET: Climate Change Future Scenarios, Impact Projection, and
Adaptation, Part 2/2*
- Climate simulation - overview of CMIP6 and NASA climate models
- Different types of climate information across time scales
- How climate projections and sectoral models (e.g., crop models)
support adaptation planning
- Importance in recognizing uncertainty across models

You can access all training materials from this webinar series on the
training webpage:
https://appliedsciences.nasa.gov/what-we-do/capacity-building/arset

This training was created by NASA's Applied Remote Sensing Training
Program (ARSET) in collaboration and the NASA Goddard Institute for
Space Studies (GISS). ARSET is a part of NASA's Applied Science's
Capacity Building Program. Learn more about ARSET:
https://appliedsciences.nasa.gov/join-mission/training/english/arset-introduction-nasa-resources-climate-change-applications

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vC6_H_0iI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnnIz2C5Ny4

/[ Blame Trump ] /
*Two stark reminders about the political challenge of tackling climate
change*
By Philip Bump
National correspondent
March 28, 2022
There was an unappreciated irony to the placard that graced the lectern
from which former president Donald Trump spoke over the weekend. “Save
America,” it said, reflecting Trump’s preferred descriptor for the
threat the country faces should it fail to acquiesce to his whims. But
it was from behind this apocalyptic imperative that Trump laughed off an
actual threat the country faces.

Well, not “laughed off,” really.

Trump claimed we were at the “single most dangerous time for our country
in history” thanks to the threat of nuclear weapons, somewhat
downplaying decades in which the exact same threat lingered.

“And yet you have people like John Kerry worrying about the climate! The
climate!” Trump continued. “Oh, I heard that the other day. Here we are,
[Russian President Vladimir Putin is] threatening us [and] he’s worried
about the ocean will rise one-hundredth of one percent over the next 300
f----n’ years.”
The crowd, pleasantly surprised by the vulgarity, cheered loudly...
- -
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/28/two-stark-reminders-about-political-challenge-tackling-climate-change/

/[ Financial Times $ ] /
*Climate graphic of the week: Renewable energy pushes ahead of coal for
the first time*
(Subscribe to read)
https://www.ft.com/content/f4c3f541-4fd3-4ca0-b79b-0fcacd27f851

/[  neighbors to Woods Hole Oceanographics Institute -- video starts
about 3 min in  ] /
*Beyond 1.5 Series | Tipping points: Is there a point of no return?*
Oct 12, 2021
Woodwell Climate Research Center
Arctic permafrost and tropical forests are two of the most powerful
natural drivers of our climate system, and both are approaching the
point of tipping from carbon sinks to carbon sources–with potentially
catastrophic consequences. At the same time, the ice sheets of Greenland
and Antarctica are nearing points of no return, beyond which they may be
committed to complete melting that would cause massive sea-level rise.
Continuing to emit greenhouse gases without knowing where these tipping
points lie is like driving toward a cliff in the fog. This gripping
event will explore what we know–and need to know–to avoid going over the
cliff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k9oW2rnBpQ

/
//[ New video reporter lives in California ]/
Is California really a climate-friendly state? (feat. at Ankur Shah)
Mar 30, 2022
Beckisphere Climate Corner

Do you think California's doing a good job to reduce emissions? Which
state should I look at next? Let me know in the comments below.
Ankur's video: https://youtu.be/BeZvkg5Kbzs

If you like the work I do, please consider joining the Beckisphere
Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/beckisphere or buying me a cup of
coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/beckisphere. Remember to talk
about the climate crisis every day and support your local news
organizations!
Timestamps-

     00:00 Intro
     01:55 Climate impacts & adaptations
     07:29 Emissions overview
     11:53 Transportation emissions
     22:42 Industry emissions
     24:42 Energy emissions
     42:51 Agriculture emissions
     44:32 GWP emissions
     44:58 Waste emissions
     46:03 Closing notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPNh7g2JSU

/[The news archive - looking back]/
*March 31, 2009*
  MSNBC's Keith Olbermann rips denialist Rep. John Shimkus (R-IL):

    "But our winner, Congressman John Shimkus, Republican of Illinois,
    with two fascinating and utterly contradictory statements.  A,
    Congressman Shimkus on why there isn‘t global warming.  'Today we
    have about 388 parts per million of Carbon Dioxide in the
    atmosphere.  I think in the age of the dinosaurs, when we had most
    flora and fauna, we were probably at 4,000 parts per million.
    There‘s a theological debate that this is a carbon-starved planet,
    not too much carbon.'

    "Number one, Carbon and Carbon Dioxide are not the same thing.
    Number two, the only theological debate over how much carbon the
    plan needs would be taking place in the church of the Labrea Tar
    Pits.  Number three, didn‘t the freaking dinosaurs go extinct?  Or
    do they just have a bad public relations person?

    "But I‘m digressing.  B, Congressman Shimkus on why it doesn‘t
    matter anyway.  'The Earth will end only when God declares it‘s time
    to be over.  A man will not destroy this Earth.  This Earth will not
    be destroyed by a flood.  I appreciate having panelists here who are
    men of faith, and we can get into the theological discourse of that
    position.  But I do believe that God‘s word is infallible,
    unchanging, perfect.'

    "So a man pressing a button to start a nuclear war, that would be
    God‘s infallible word?  Why do we bother trying to govern?  Can‘t he
    do something about the budget deficit?  By the way, as you hit me
    over the head with your Bible, Congressman, there ain‘t a word in it
    about those dinosaurs you mentioned earlier.

    "Congressman John Shimkus of Illinois, today‘s worst person in the
    world!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBf75v2k3EE

More information from daily summaries
Climate Nexus https://climatenexus.org/hot-news/