[✔️] May 16, 2022 - Daily Global Warming News Digest

Mon May 16 12:17:24 EDT 2022

/*May 16, 2022*/

/[ Your house has a defined risk for fire ]/
*Every home in America now has a wildfire threat score, and some areas
see a 200% jump in risk*
MAY 16 2022/
/

    -- Wildfire risk is increasing, likely due to global warming, and
    its destruction is becoming ever more expensive.

    -- New technology from a Brooklyn-based nonprofit, First Street
    Foundation, is mapping the threat with house-by-house specificity.

    -- First Street gives every home a unique score and unique
    probabilities of risk.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/16/first-street-foundation-scores-wildfire-risk-for-every-home-in-america.html/
/

/- -/

/[ before you buy that house ]/
*Find your home's Risk Factors*
Past events, current risks, and future projections based on
peer-reviewed research from the world’s leading flood, fire, and climate
modelers.
https://www.riskfactor.com/

- -

/[New Mexico wildfire]/
*Update: Calf Canyon – Hermits Peak Fire May 15*
Bill Gabbert -- May 15, 2022
https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/05/15/update-calf-canyon-hermits-peak-fire-may-15/

/[ BBC  -- Was this video shot last summer?  5 min ] /
*Siberian Permafrost Burning HD CO2 Apocalypse*
2 views  May 15, 2022  According to:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/20...
2020 was 8GT CO2
2021 was 300% worse so 24GT CO2 from Fires Globally
2022 is Double 2021 so 48GT CO2 2022?
I think That is how Positive Feedback Loops work, but so Quickly?

this giant mirror https://www.meer.org/ will stop the fires floods and
hurricanes immediately
But those aren’t what scientists are really afraid of..  im not a
scientist so here I will let Exeter University Professor Peter Cox
Explain the urgency of this situation
https://youtu.be/_QKUO0B24PE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvDf3o8GN08

/[  Misinformation - we have seen this before.  Time to stop it. ]/
*‘Fun in the sun’ photos are a dangerous distraction from the reality of
climate breakdown*
Saffron O’Neill
Think of the images that defined our understanding of war or protest.
Similar ones can tell the truth about this disaster
Sat 14 May 2022
//
Open a British newspaper as a heatwave looms and you’ll likely see
headlines about the unprecedented nature of the upcoming heat, the cost
to lives and livelihoods, and even deaths caused by the extreme heat.
But accompanying the same story you are also likely to see images of
people having fun in the sun – kids splashing in city fountains, crowded
beaches, blue seas, azure skies and holiday happiness.

How the media communicates about climate breakdown reflects and shapes
how societies engage with the issue. Behind every picture that makes it
into the news is a person mirroring and perpetuating how society thinks
about climate breakdown. Images are a key part of any media
communication: they are often vivid and colourful, drawing readers in
and helping them to remember a story...
They also shape news production: compelling visuals help stories rise up
the media agenda. Think about the image of the man blocking a line of
tanks in Beijing’s Tiananmen Square, a young girl fleeing her village
after being burned by napalm in the Vietnam war, smoke billowing from
the twin towers. These images become part of our collective psyche –
through them we remember the power of protest, the horror of war, and
the moments everything changed. Images of the climate crisis can hold
the same power, something the Guardian recognised in its sector-leading
2019 editorial decision to rethink the images accompanying climate stories.

Our new research, led by the University of Exeter, highlights a distinct
problem with how the European media visually represents news of extreme
heat. We examined media coverage from the UK, the Netherlands, France
and Germany during the summer of 2019. Importantly, we only included
news stories that mentioned both the keywords “heatwave” and “climate
change”, reasoning that if we were to see responsible and accurate
reporting of heatwave risks, it would be in coverage that at least
alluded to the increasing risk of heatwaves becoming longer, more
frequent and more intense under climate breakdown.

We found two distinct themes in visual coverage. The first used images
of “fun in the sun” that depicted heatwaves as something enjoyable. In
all four countries, the majority of these images showed people having a
good time in or by water. This was particularly prominent in the UK,
perhaps saying something about how British culture narrates the
experience of very hot weather in our historically mild climate.

The second theme we found was “the idea of heat”, depicted through red
and orange colours, which are (in western cultures) commonly associated
with heat or danger. People were largely absent from this visual
discourse in photos such as generic stock photographs of thermometers
against a blindingly hot sun. When people were pictured, they were
depersonalised by silhouetting them against the sun so their faces were
not visible.
Across all four countries, there was a mismatch between the text of the
articles and the accompanying visuals. While the headlines and image
captions proclaimed news of unprecedented heat, vulnerable people and
even deaths, the photos featured were those “fun in the sun” holiday snaps.

This is problematic in two ways. First, by displacing concerns of
vulnerability, it marginalises the experiences of those vulnerable to
heatwaves: older people, young children and babies, people with
pre-existing health conditions, and people living in poor-quality
housing are all more at risk from extreme heat.

Second, there is a difference between northern Europeans looking forward
to a “normal” period of sunny, settled, summer weather (I know – I wish
for this after a long and often drearily rainy Devon winter) and
articles which may, to a greater or lesser extent, appear to be
welcoming the prospect of a much hotter, climate-changed future. Whether
extreme heat events are visualised through photos of people on beaches
or are excluding people completely, we are missing an opportunity to
imagine a more resilient future.

News media can picture heatwave visuals differently, though. The Dutch
outlet Algemeen Dagblad produced visual stories of the reality of living
with extreme heat. When they pictured a young family, they weren’t
queueing for an ice-cream on a benign sunny day, but at home in front of
a fan, looking visibly uncomfortable.
Other pictures depicted the solutions many have called for, in images of
an air-conditioned community space opened up to local, older residents
to help them cope with the heat; and in a grey, concrete city
thoroughfare given new life through an urban greening project, reducing
the urban heat island effect.

The recent coverage of the Indian subcontinent heatwave showed
compelling visual portrayals of everyday life during a heatwave:
struggling outdoor labourers, buckling roads, people seeking shade and
water. All these images show that “fun in the sun” is not an inevitable
way to illustrate extreme heat.

We want to be clear that this isn’t a call to the media to redact all
images of people enjoying the beach on a hot day, but an overabundance
of these types of images (especially attached to a news story about
heatwave risks) tells only a limited part of the story.

Not everyone is having fun during heatwaves superpowered by climate
breakdown – for vulnerable people they can be deadly. Fortunately, there
are signs of progress as editors, journalists, suppliers of stock and
editorial photography, and society more widely, start to think
critically about the images used to visually represent extreme heat.
News media and social scientists can work together to tell the full
story of extreme weather.

Saffron O’Neill is an associate professor in geography at the University
of Exeter
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/14/sun-photos-climate-breakdown

/[  WAPO - tree deaths caused by sea level rise ] /
*The swift march of climate change in North Carolina’s ‘ghost forests’*
As sea levels rise and storms become more intense, scientists are racing
to study the rapid loss of trees and marshland along the Outer Banks...
- -
Ghost forests have existed for decades. But as they proliferate,
scientists are racing to better understand the factors driving the
changes, what humans might do to slow the demise of such forests and
what consequences lie ahead if the trend continues.

They are investigating what the profound changes to coastal systems
might mean for the migrating birds, mammals, reptiles and plants that
call them home.

And they worry about what will come of the massive stores of carbon
these landscapes hold, huge amounts of which could be released back into
the atmosphere as forests die and the land retreats — a shift that could
further complicate efforts to slow the warming of the planet.

“I still feel like we are just scratching the surface and trying to
figure out how much of an impact this is,” Ardón says, “and how big of
an area is being affected.”...
- -
   Ury knows that many people might not grasp the long-term threats
posed by their transformation, even as the sight of stricken trees is
difficult to miss. Saltwater intrusion has inflicted damage in more
immediate and visceral ways, such as contaminating aquifers and tainting
once fertile farm land in the region.

But even less obvious changes are significant.

“People just don’t really care about swamp forests. They are not really
populated,” said Ury, now a postdoctoral fellow at the University of
Waterloo in Ontario. “But they are experiencing this massive shift, and
it’s a loss of an ecosystem that’s underappreciated but still has a lot
of value for water quality and wildlife habitat and storing carbon.”

“And it’s definitely a canary in the coal mine for coastal change.”...
- -
“It’s happening right here,” he says of climate change. He nods toward
the stumps of fallen trees poking out of the water, some of them 50 feet
or more from the shoreline. “That was probably land 20 years ago.”

After a short hike inland, Ardón reaches one of many testing sites he
and colleagues maintain inside the Palmetto-Peartree Preserve. Year
after year, they track whether the soil is accumulating or subsiding.

In this spot, as in others, the forest floor is adding mass a millimeter
at a time, but at a much slower pace than the local rate of sea level rise.

“Bad math,” Ardón calls it. “Over time, these forests are going to get
swallowed by the sound.”..
- -
Scientists have documented the changes that have already happened and
those that are likely to come. “The question is, can we go there in an
intelligent, intentional way that’s protective of livelihoods and
biodiversity? Or are we going to go there in a very catastrophic way?”

They are questions Lanier ponders often as he nears the home stretch of
his career.

As the manager of the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, the vast
majority of which lies barely two feet above sea level, he knows the
person in his job could face “a very different thing” in only a handful
of decades. If current trends continue, he said, the majority of the
refuge could be underwater within a century.

“It’s sobering to see a landscape you are trying to manage for wildlife
die out,” he said.

But Lanier and others who care about this place are not content to sit
idle. There is wildlife that depends on this habitat, humans who rely on
its water filtration benefits and a planet that relies in part on its
ability to store carbon.

“We’re trying to find out what we can do to make sure the place is as
resilient as we can,” he said. “To try to slow down the change as long
as it’s possible.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/05/12/ghost-forests-carolina-climate-change/https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/05/12/ghost-forests-carolina-climate-change/

/[ Bloomberg documentary on dumping waste in Italy ]/
*These Italian White Sand Beaches Have a Dirty Secret*
98,477 views  May 9, 2022  For more than a century, the coastal waters
off Rosignano Solvay in Italy have been a dumping ground for millions of
tons of milky white industrial discharge that have transformed the
beaches — and the seabed beyond.
For over a century, one company has been using a popular Italian beach
as its dumping ground for waste that has contained mercury and other
heavy metals. earthQTlogoLearn more about the story:
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2022-italian-beach-tuscany-coast-solvay-dumping/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZZOYeKr7o

/[The news archive - looking back at important events ]/
/*May 16, 2013*/
May 16, 2013: On CNN, SkepticalScience.com's John Cook discusses the
scientific community's verdict on climate change.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2013/05/16/intv-global-warming-study-cook.cnn.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*