[✔️] November 1, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Tue Nov 1 09:17:18 EDT 2022

/*November 1, 2022*/

/[ COP-out- 27  ] /
*Cop27 protesters will be corralled in desert away from climate conference*
Visitors to Sharm el-Sheikh also face extensive searches and video
surveillance in taxis
Ruth Michaelson
Mon 31 Oct 2022
Across Sharm el-Sheikh, a slim strip of manicured resorts, asphalt and
concrete near the southern tip of the Sinai peninsula, teams of workers
are putting the finishing touches to preparations for the UN’s Cop27
climate conference.
- -
New surveillance technologies are also in place, so much so that Maj Gen
Khaled Fouda, governor of South Sinai, recently boasted to a local cable
channel that any visitors entering overland will be extensively searched
at a gate encircling the city. He added that 500 white taxis
commissioned to transport attenders during the conference will be
equipped with interior cameras, all connected to a local “security
observatory”, to monitor the footage.

There will be space for protesters to gather at Cop27, but only in a
purpose-built area out near a highway and away from the conference
centre or any other signs of life. Images of the designated protest area
show a row of white painted cabins between a row of palm trees and a car
park. It was unclear whether protesters will be permitted to spread out
among the vast open landscape, or be forced to crowd next to the cabins
to find relief from the desert sun.

“It’s very chic, very clean. There are cafes and restaurants on site,”
said Fouda, and: “No one is allowed here without registration.” He added
that Egyptian authorities constructed the protest area in response to a
spate of calls from western diplomats worried that demonstrations would
be prevented at Cop27 in line with a ban on public protest that has
existed for almost a decade.

“This could be the most highly surveilled Cop in the history of the
conference,” said Hussein Baoumi, of Amnesty International.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/31/egypt-cop27-showcase-charms-sharm-el-sheikh-protest-mall

- -

/[ Thunberg watch -- so reports Fortune magazine ]/
*COP27 leaders and says she’ll skip the ‘greenwashing’ climate summit*
BY SOPHIE MELLOR
October 31, 2022
- -
Speaking at a Q&A for the launch of her new book, Thunberg announced she
would be skipping the 2022 United Nations Climate Change Conference,
otherwise known as COP27, held in Egypt next week, as it has become a
platform for attention-grabbing politicians.

    “I’m not going to COP27 for many reasons, but the space for civil
    society this year is extremely limited,” Thunberg said.

    “COPs are mainly used as an opportunity for leaders and people in
    power to get attention, using many different kinds of greenwashing.”...

https://fortune.com/2022/10/31/greta-thunberg-blasts-attention-seeking-cop27-leaders/

/[  Wise scientist Dr Jennifer Francis predicts the next el Nino will be
mean - a brief video]/
Oct 31, 2022
*I spoke not long ago to Jennifer Francis of the Woodwell Climate
Research Center in MA.*
Jennifer is a highly respected senior scientist and researcher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU6PYHjsGY

/[ Time to reconsider a new opinion  text ]/
HOW TO BE DECENT
*Climate Reparations Really Aren’t That Radical—or Hard*
Noah Gordon
October 26, 2022
Examples of reparations paid throughout history show that making amends
is much more feasible than rich countries today would have us believe.
- -
Reparations that involve transfers of value from one country to another
are more relevant for the climate case. The idea behind calls for loss
and damage funding is that the countries that have done most to pollute
the atmosphere, and grown rich doing so, should compensate, per U.N.
language, “developing countries that are particularly vulnerable to the
adverse effects of climate change.” In other words, countries like the
U.S., France, and Japan should pay countries like Brazil, Indonesia, or
small island states like Kiribati that will literally disappear beneath
the waves.
- -
Climate reparations must also overcome hurdles that have not applied in
past instances. For one, the crime is not only ongoing but
accelerating—more than half of all carbon dioxide emissions have
occurred since 1990. For another, the guilty and the wronged can switch
places: By some point in the late 2020s, China will have emitted more
greenhouse gases than the EU countries ever have. Yet for the purposes
of U.N. climate talks, China is officially a developing country that
would be a recipient of loss and damage funds. And there’s a serious
first mover problem: Would EU countries agree to hand over large sums
for loss and damage if Canada or the U.S. refused to budge? Denmark
recently became the first rich country to make a substantial loss and
damage pledge—$13 million. But that’s still minuscule in the context of
these talks...
- -
If rich Western countries harbor any claims to moral leadership on
climate policy, they have to do better than their officials’ current
dismissive rhetoric on loss and damage, as exemplified by John Kerry’s
remarks in September. They must at least consider formal apologies and
meet unmet pledges for adaptation and mitigation funding. And as for
loss and damages payment, the least they could do is make concrete
offers for nonmonetary reparations of the sort that the Caricom
Caribbean Community has requested of their former European colonizers,
which in the climate case could include setting up cultural institutions
to preserve memories of cultures threatened by climate change. Offering
residence permits to citizens of small island states that will one day
be lost to the sea would be another good place to start.

Reparations aren’t radical, and they aren’t without precedent. COP27
will not deliver reparations commensurate to the offense, or in line
with potential recipients’ demands. But, as with climate mitigation, it
is better to take some step forward, however small, than to stonewall.
Better to push for a bike lane on your street or pass an imperfect bill
through Congress than to stick one’s head in the sand. Better to set up
a reparations commission or offer some symbolic small-scale funding than
to pretend that reparations are inconceivable.
https://newrepublic.com/article/168297/climate-reparations-radical-john-kerry

/[ futurism -- some thoughtful discussions on decline - mostly outside
of climate change considerations ]/
*John Michael Greer - The Catabolic Collapse Of Civilization (Part 2)*
Oct 12, 2022  Is the collapse of modern civilization already underway?
John Michael Greer explains the "Catabolic Collapse" stair-step model of
decline and we discuss living standards, corporate & financial losses,
inflation, energy costs, and how overall socioeconomic complexity
contributes to the decline process.

In today's interview, we address key audience questions related to a
number of topics from our first interview, including: anthropogenic
climate change, corporate & financial losses, inflation, masking of
decline issues through automation and privatization, standards of living
and "side gigs", the relative importance of peak oil, and the
contributions of complexity, and much more.

John Michael Greer is an accomplished author who writes on ecology,
politics, appropriate technology, oil depletion and the occult. He has
published dozens of both books and articles, many of them on peak oil,
economics, history, philosophy and related topics.

In a 2005 abstract, called "How Civilizations Fall: A Theory of
Catabolic Collapse", he described an ecological model of collapse in
which production fails to meet maintenance requirements for existing
capital, which we'll be discussing today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seM8ZqdyfyE

- -

/[ his paper ]/
*How Civilizations Fall : A Theory of Catabolic Collapse*
J. Greer
Published 2005
Economics
The collapse of complex human societies remains poorly understood and
current theories fail to model important features of historical examples
of collapse. Relationships among resources, capital, waste, and
production form the basis for an ecological model of collapse in which
production fails to meet maintenance requirements for existing capital.
Societies facing such crises after having depleted essential resources
risk catabolic collapse, a self-reinforcing cycle of contraction
converting most capital to waste. This model allows key features of
historical examples of collapse to be accounted for, and suggests
parallels between successional processes in nonhuman ecosystems and
collapse phenomena in human societies.
https://www.ecoshock.org/transcripts/greer_on_collapse.pdf

/[ It is sometimes difficult to listen to fringe voices -- this is a
controversial science video "We might be in real trouble"  -
recommending listening to old people ( that's me!!)   ]/
*Joe Brewer - Planetary Collapse and the Path to Regeneration - LIVING
RESILIENCE SENSE MAKING COURSE*
The Poetry of Predicament
Oct 31, 2022
This is a reposting of an interview with Joe Brewer on the Nicky Rew
Podcast, December 2020. "Nicky Rew" appears to have discontinued his
podcast. We are very proud to include Nicky's fine interview with Joe,
in our online courses and curriculum.

Here in Living Resilience, in addition to producing this Poetry of
Predicament Podcast, we offer support and study groups, special guest
events, and live and self-paced online courses... all in service to the
global Collapse-Aware community.

The short version of our mission statement or elevator pitch for this
work: Profound Resources Facing Troubled Times.
- -
We recommend that the viewer watch all 82 minutes of this interview. Joe
Brewer is one of the few Regenerative Human Systems Designers alive
today... and one of a very small handful of people actually creating a
real-time experiment in regenerative community and living, in his
project in Colombia.

For those who are watching this with the particular focus of our Living
Resilience - Sense Making Course (available in our online Community
Space - https://living-resilience.mn.co )
you may want to jump ahead to the chapter marker "Collapse Projections"
at approximately 49:43. This is followed by Joe's description of his
Regenerative Community and Living project.

Our main reasons for including this interview with Joe Brewer in our
in-house Sense-Making course material are: Joe's remarkably clear and
concise recap of long-standing and prescient projections from early
research on human-caused collapse of both Earth and Human Systems. We
seem to be a self-terminating global culture. One especially toxic
feature of our self defeating ways is that we have less and less ability
to integrate any sort of historical context for our now life-critical
choices. Joe's synthesis of a couple of particularly potent early
predictions of our collapse stands in sharp contrast to his remarkable
work in creating regenerative communities in the face of our daunting
future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou5C1je377s

/[ a nice innocent Halloween report --  listening to a young news
enthusiast -- she is just relaying information - who also seems to have
a calm demeanor for this kind of news  ]/
*Lula wins Brazil's presidential election, Egypt pushes gas as a climate
solution | The Climate Recap*
Beckisphere Climate Corner
k34 views  Nov 1, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw30JMASufk

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*November 1,  1987*/
November 1, 1987: At a Democratic presidential candidates' forum on the
environment in Manchester, New Hampshire, Boston Globe environmental
reporter Dianne Dumanoski asks Massachusetts Gov. Michael Dukakis and
Sen. Al Gore about their plans to address acid rain and climate change.
Dukakis and Gore note that the US must show global leadership on both
issues.

(19:55-26:44)

http://c-spanvideo.org/program/Envir

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*