[✔️] November 2, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Wed Nov 2 08:29:38 EDT 2022

/*November 2, 2022*/

/[ from the UN account on Twitter  ] /
UN Climate Change
@UNFCCC
*Small steps are not enough - to tackle climate change, we need a
"moonshot approach" 🚀 to innovation in the fields of energy,
construction & food.*

Get ready to be inspired by
@UNFCCC
's Global Innovation Hub at #COP27, which will also digitally connect
innovators with investors.
https://twitter.com/UNFCCC/status/1587389480696254464

/[ $urprise, $urprise --- huge bumper profits -- BBC video ]/
*Oil giant BP reports huge rise in global profits - BBC News*
BBC News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgm0gG6Txuk

/[ surprisingly good documentary ~hour//video//]/
*Burning Questions: Covering Climate Now | Special*
WORLD Channel
Streamed live on Oct 25, 2022
Will we act in time? Extraordinary journalists report on climate change
around the globe, as families lose everything while world leaders dawdle
and corporate interests resist change. Co-hosted by NBC Today’s Al Roker
and NBC News’ Savannah Sellers...

#WORLDChannel #CoveringClimate #climatechange
@Covering Climate Now @NBC News @TODAY @Al Roker Entertainment

FOLLOW WORLD Channel:
Website: https://worldchannel.org/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WORLDChannel
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/worldchannel/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/worldchannel

FOLLOW Covering Climate Now:
Website: https://coveringclimatenow.org/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/coveringclimate/

Organized by journalists, for journalists, Covering Climate Now is a
non-profit, non-partisan collaboration of more than 500 news outlets
committed to better coverage of the defining story of our time. Founded
in 2019 by Columbia Journalism Review and The Nation, CCNow counts among
its partners some of the biggest names in news - including the Guardian,
ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, PBS NewsHour, Bloomberg, Reuters, Agence
France-Presse, Al Jazeera, Deutsche Welle, Times of India, El Pais - and
local TV, radio, newspaper, and digital outlets that reach some 2
billion people.

WORLD Channel shares the best of public media in news, documentaries and
programming. WORLD’s original series examine the issues and amplify the
voices of those often ignored by mainstream media. The multicast 24/7
channel helps audiences understand conflicts, movements and cultures
from around the globe. Its original work has won a Peabody Award, an
Alfred I. duPont-Columbia Award, a National News and Documentary Emmy
Award, two Webby Awards, and many others honoring diversity of content
and makers. WORLD is carried by 195 member stations in markets
representing over 75.1% of US TV households. Funding for WORLD Channel
is provided by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the John D. and
Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, Wyncote Foundation and the National
Endowment for the Arts and Artworks. WORLD is produced by GBH in
partnership with WNET and is distributed by American Public Television
(APT).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRTSQatFpc

/[ Schools as an information battleground -  NYTimes article ]/
*Many States Omit Climate Education. These Teachers Are Trying to Slip
It In.*
Around the United States, middle school science standards have minimal
references to climate change and teachers on average spend just a few
hours a year teaching it.
By Winston Choi-Schagrin
Nov. 1, 2022...
- -

    “What if the candlemakers had stopped the light bulb? We should be
    the leaders in solar and wind. I tell my students, ‘Don’t let the
    candlemakers stop the light bulb.’”
    - Bertha Vazquez, seventh grade science teacher, Miami.

But her commitment to the subject is not representative of how climate
change is taught around the country. Around half of middle school
science teachers either don’t cover the subject or spend less than two
hours a year on it, according to a survey by the National Center for
Science Education.

That’s hardly enough time to teach the essentials, said Glenn Branch,
the center’s deputy director. They need to learn, at the very least, the
fundamentals of climate science, including the role humans play, the
consequences of a changing climate, as well as solutions.

It is clear that people want climate change to be taught. Around 80
percent of American parents think that schools should teach climate
change, a sentiment shared by students.

“Kids are demanding more, and wanting more,” said Sarah Ruggiero, a
science teacher for the Eugene School District, in Oregon.
- -
In the world beyond classrooms, thinking about climate change involves
much more than merely understanding climate science and the greenhouse
effect. It’s about changing our energy systems and preparing for waves
of climate migration. It’s also about solutions, coming up with policies
to adapt to extreme weather events and decarbonize large parts of our
economy.

Which is why climate education is now expanding into areas like the arts
and humanities, and social studies. Beginning this year, New Jersey is
incorporating some aspect of climate change’s effects, as well as
solutions, into its standards for every grade band and in every subject
area. National organizations representing English and social studies
teachers have called for greater engagement with climate change in their
classes.
These developments are a heartening and necessary step forward, Ms.
Vazquez said. Teaching about climate change gets at the heart of what
school is ultimately for: Helping kids make sense of the world around
them, while preparing them for the future.

“This is the topic of the century, and not just because of the potential
disasters ahead,” she said. “But because this is the future of the economy.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/climate/middle-school-education-climate-change.html

/[ group is named "Scientist Rebellion"]/
*Munich: 13 scientists held in prison after non-violent climate protest
in Germany*
Munich, 30 October 2022.
After a protest in the luxury car showroom of BMW's headquarters in
Munich, 15 members of Scientist Rebellion have been taken into
preventive custody. Thirteen of them will be held until Friday, 4th of
November, while two others will remain in custody until Tuesday 1st and
Wednesday 2nd of November. Another scientist, who has been held in
custody since the 28th October after participating in a road blockade
with Scientist Rebellion, will remain in prison until the 1st of November.
Among those in custody are 13 scientists: mathematicians, physicists,
environmental scientists, computer scientists, biotechnology experts and
engineers in environmental protection and telecommunications. Scientists
have been taking action to demand basic, immediate, and effective
measures to reduce transport emissions and protect communities and lives
from current and future effects of the climate crisis. "As a water cycle
scientist, I am here today because our states are failing us despite
having a documented consensus at hand: This is an environmental
emergency, we need immediate change.", explains Sylvain Kuppel, earth
and environmental research scientist and member of Scientist Rebellion.

The scientists in custody will likely be moved to Stadelheim prison or
other facilities on Monday 31st October, depending on availability of
police custody cells.
https://www.pressenza.com/2022/10/munich13-scientists-held-in-prison-after-nonviolent-climate-protest-in-germany/

/[ Covering climate - big media is starting new media  ]/
*Burning Questions: Covering Climate Now | Special*
WORLD Channel
Oct 25, 2022
Will we act in time? Extraordinary journalists report on climate change
around the globe, as families lose everything while world leaders dawdle
and corporate interests resist change. Co-hosted by NBC Today’s Al Roker
and NBC News’ Savannah Sellers. For more on Burning Questions:
https://worldchannel.org/special/burning-questions-covering-climate-now/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgRTSQatFpc

/[The news archive - looking back at Al Gore's original words, authentic
--   delivered on video. ]/
/*November 2, 2009 */
November 2, 2009: Katie Couric interviews Al Gore for her CBSNews.com
program "@KatieCouric."
http://youtu.be/rDmY2jXYOag

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*