[✔️] November 4 , 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Nov 4 08:30:59 EDT 2022

/*November 4, 2022*/

/[  because it is real, it's serious, and it's here -- brief video ] /
*Why Does Climate Change Matter? We Asked a NASA Scientist*
NASA
Nov 2, 2022
Why does climate change matter? Because it's happening and we’re already
feeling its effects around the world. But there's hope. NASA Chief
Scientist and Senior Climate Advisor Dr. Kate Calvin explains how NASA
collects data and develops tools that can help us better understand and
prepare for climate change: https://climate.nasa.gov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfWCUYX2_U0

- -

/[ global warming delivers more changes to the food supply ]/
*Big agriculture warns farming must change or risk ‘destroying the planet’*
Report sponsored by some of the largest food and farming businesses
finds pace of shift to sustainable practices too slow
Dominic Rushe
@dominicru
Thu 3 Nov 2022
Food companies and governments must come together immediately to change
the world’s agricultural practices or risk “destroying the planet”,
according to the sponsors of a report by some of the largest food and
farming businesses released on Thursday.

The report, from a taskforce within the Sustainable Markets Initiative
(SMI), a network of global CEOs focused on climate issues established by
King Charles III, is being released days before the start of the United
Nation’s Cop27 climate summit in Egypt.
Many of the world’s largest food and agricultural businesses have
championed sustainable agricultural practices in recent years.
Regenerative farming practices, which prioritize cutting greenhouse gas
emissions, soil health and water conservation, now cover 15% of croplands.

But the pace of change has been “far too slow”, the report finds, and
must triple by 2030 for the world to have any chance of keeping
temperature rises under 1.5C, a level that if breached, scientists
argue, will unleash even more devastating climate change on the planet.

The report is signed by Bayer, Mars, McCain Foods, McDonald’s, Mondēlez,
Olam, PepsiCo, Waitrose and others. They represent a potent political
and corporate force, affecting the food supply chain around the world.
They are also, according to critics, some of those most responsible for
climate mismanagement with one calling the report “smoke and mirrors”
and unlikely to address the real crisis...
- -
Kuyek pointed out that Yara, another signatory to the report, is the
world’s largest supplier of nitrogen-based fertilizers, “which are
responsible for one out of every 40 tonnes of greenhouse gas emitted
annually”.

“It’s pretty disingenuous,” said Kuyek. “Small, local food systems still
feed most of the people on the planet and the real threat is that the
industrial system is expanding at the expense of the truly sustainable
system. Corporations are creating a bit of smoke and mirrors here,
suggesting they are part of the solution when inevitably they are part
of the problem.”

Considering the controversial histories of some of the companies
involved in the report, Verghese said he expected criticism and
scrutiny. “All companies have to stand up to the scrutiny of being
attacked if there is real greenwashing. There is no place to hide,” he
said. “As far as Olam is concerned we are very clear on our targets, we
have had the confidence to make these targets public. All of us have
progressed along the sustainable journey. It is not that we have not
made mistakes in the past but as we have become better at this we are
willing to be subject to scrutiny.”

Both Reid and Verghese said the scale of the issues the world’s food
supply is facing cannot be underplayed but that more governments and
companies were becoming convinced of the need for urgent change. “I
believe change can be made,” said Verghese. “I am optimistic. The fact
that these kinds of coalitions are emerging is very positive. We are all
otherwise very strong rivals and competitors. We hate each other’s guts,
we don’t come together on anything unless there is a huge crisis.
Everyone is recognizing there is a huge crisis. We need to come together.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/03/big-agriculture-climate-crisis-cop27

- -

/[ cherry-picked data can make food hysteria -- but may be valid --
start video 4 mins in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvGMGP-iV0  ]/
*Global Food Supply Risks Rising Rapidly*
Paul Beckwith
Nov 3, 2022
I chat about how global food production in 2022 is much lower than
usual, and how this will play out for the rest of this year and for 2023.

Many crops yields are down significantly this year, and the ability of
the UN World Food Program (WFP) to supply food has been severely
challenged.

WFP is forced to reduce food to hungry people in order to keep starving
people alive.

I also chat about a new Lancet report just published online on October
25th, 2022 about how a confluence of factors has really harmed human
health and the ability of humanity to feed itself this year, into next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvGMGP-iV0

/[ Report from South Pole ]
/*South Pole provides the tools to achieve a low-carbon reality.*
Our team of over 1000 experts guide you towards innovative solutions to
both mitigate risk and achieve your sustainability goals...
"Analysing the corporate net zero landscape for the third
consecutive year, South Pole’s 2022 research reveals a
surprising trend: so-called “green-hushing”. In this year’s
edition, we took a closer look at over 1200 private companies
who have a sustainability or CSR head and can thus be
deemed a proxy for companies leading on climate action. We
found a surprising trend: nearly a quarter of these surveyed
global climate leaders will not be publicising their
achievements and milestones beyond the bare minimum or
as required by for example the Science Based Targets
initiative. This is concerning: more than ever, we need those
making headway on sustainability targets to inspire others to
make a start, to help shift mindsets and then behaviours..."
https://www.southpole.com/

/[ Opinion -- Is that all ya got?   Just the word "hope" ?]/
*Despite years of exposure to the climate science, I don’t believe we
are headed for total societal collapse*
Rebecca Huntley
People can seem immune to the news of catastrophic climate breakdown,
but that’s a very human response. There is hope
Tue 1 Nov 2022
Last Friday the Guardian published a story under the headline “World
close to ‘irreversible’ climate breakdown”. This was not a quote from
Greta Thunberg or Extinction Rebellion, but the central message from
three United Nations agencies.

They found there was “no credible pathway to 1.5C in place” and current
pledges for action, even if honoured, would result in global heating of
around 2.5C – in other words, a catastrophic climate breakdown, with
devastating consequences for societies around the globe.

I read the report, but admit I skimmed it and went on to read an op-ed
about the recent federal budget and a story about a boy rescued from a
stormwater drain. Not because I don’t care about climate change (on the
contrary, it is an all-consuming personal and professional passion), but
because since I became involved in the climate movement I have read
countless reports like these.

I’m not immune to the message. I just know I can’t do the work I need to
do unless I treat this information in a particular way. Namely like a
floor-length taffeta dress I once bought for a formal event: it hangs in
my wardrobe as a reminder, worn only occasionally, but I can’t relax or
do actual work in it.

That requires the elasticated pants of functional denial.

I am often asked why other people outside the climate movement don’t
react immediately with alarm and take to the streets when they read
headlines like this. They may actually be immune to the message. They
may not pay attention to the United Nations. But more likely their
failure to respond is a very human response.

To feel fear, we must observe and register a threat, such as the sight
of a predator. That will then activate our “fight or flight” response.
Climate change seems to defy nearly all the evolutionary and cognitive
triggers for urgent action.

Of course, the kinds of extreme weather events we have seen in Australia
and around the world are as tangible a threat to us as a terrorist
attack or a virus. But in order to see these floods and fires in the
same vein you must make the connection – that this is climate change
created by humans rather than just Mother Nature doing her thing.
In other words, our reptile brains have not evolved as quickly as our
ability to develop the kinds of technology that can alter, in under 200
years, environments across a planet that have taken millennia to develop.
The good news is that the research I have conducted shows that in the
last few years more of us are seeing these climate impacts as signs of
impending catastrophe. Around one in three Australians are alarmed about
climate change and would describe it as a “crisis” requiring greater
government attention than any other issue. And we can see how quickly
the electoral politics can shift around climate when we compare the 2019
and 2022 federal elections.

But the research also shows that opinion still shifts slowly, perhaps 1%
for every extreme weather event that occurs. Floods and fires alone will
not turn us all into climate champions in the time we have left.

Call me wildly optimistic or semi-delusional, but despite years of
exposure to the climate science, I don’t believe that we are headed for
total societal collapse any time soon. I still have a faith in the
ability of groups of dedicated humans to collaborate to shift the odds
in our favour.

But I also have the faith in capital to move quickly and decisively.
It’s already happening. Once the corporations that fund the politicians
realise there is more money to be made in climate action than climate
denial, we will all be amazed about how fast things can move.

And this leads me to my abiding worry right now above and beyond
societal collapse: my concern is not that it’s “the end of the world as
we know it”. It’s more like “the end of the world as we’d like it”.
We need to move quickly to speed up the solutions to climate action.
More renewable infrastructure and – if we are to meet our domestic
energy needs and replace coal and gas as an export – large-scale
renewables like the proposed Sun cable and the Asian renewable hub.
More, not less mining.

My concern is that in our necessary speed towards solutions we forget
the views, values and needs of those who are going to be most impacted.
The communities where those working in fossil fuels are concentrated.
Those who are geographically, socially, economically or culturally at a
disadvantage when it comes to accessing all the proposed benefits from
this energy revolution.

Those communities that have been, and will be, hit time and again by
extreme weather, drought and water shortages. And the First Nations
communities fighting for a real say when it comes to renewables
projects, after decades of fighting with fossil fuel companies.

My worry is not that the Australia of the future will be like Mad Max.
More that it could be a more benevolent version of The Hunger Games.

Again – call me wildly optimistic or semi-delusional – voters and
communities have the chance right now to shape the nature of this energy
revolution we are already experiencing.

It’s not just about windfarms and green hydrogen, with social
disadvantage worse than it was during our fossil fuel heyday. That means
we must amplify the voices and choices of the people who are the most
exposed to climate impacts and the ones most at risk if we just act
quickly and forget about fairly.

Dr Rebecca Huntley is director of research at 89 Degrees East
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/commentisfree/2022/nov/02/despite-years-of-exposure-to-the-climate-science-i-dont-believe-we-are-headed-for-total-societal-collapse

- -

/[ here's the upsetting article ]/
*World close to ‘irreversible’ climate breakdown, warn major studies*
The UN environment agency’s report found there was ‘no credible pathway
to 1.5C in place’ amid ‘woefully inadequate’ progress on cutting carbon
emissions. Photograph: Lukas Schulze/Getty Images
Key UN reports published in last two days warn urgent and collective
action needed – as oil firms report astronomical profits
by Damian Carrington -- Environment editor
Thu 27 Oct 2022
The climate crisis has reached a “really bleak moment”, one of the
world’s leading climate scientists has said, after a slew of major
reports laid bare how close the planet is to catastrophe.

Collective action is needed by the world’s nations more now than at any
point since the second world war to avoid climate tipping points, Prof
Johan Rockström said, but geopolitical tensions are at a high.

He said the world was coming “very, very close to irreversible changes …
time is really running out very, very fast”.

Emissions must fall by about half by 2030 to meet the internationally
agreed target of 1.5C of heating but are still rising, the reports
showed – at a time when oil giants are making astronomical amounts of
money...
- -
Climate experts agree that every action that limits global heating
reduces the suffering endured by people from climate impacts. “The 1.5C
target is now near impossible, but every fraction of a degree will
equate to massive avoided damages for generations to come,” said Prof
Dave Reay, at the University of Edinburgh, UK.

Röckstrom said: “Despite the fact that the situation is depressing and
very challenging, I would strongly advise everyone to act in business or
policy or society or science. The deeper we fall into the dark abyss of
risk, the more we have to make efforts to climb out of that hole. It’s
not as if we don’t know what to do – it’s rather that we’re not doing
what is necessary.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/27/world-close-to-irreversible-climate-breakdown-warn-major-studies

/[ Moby-Dick - the Whale influence modern science data collection ]/
*How centuries-old whaling logs are filling gaps in our climate knowledge*
Whalers from the 18th and 19th centuries are helping 21st Century
scientists on climate change.
- -
“What we want to see is, ‘Where did the whalers experience the strongest
winds? At what latitude? And was that where the strongest winds are
being experienced today? Or was that further north or further south, and
how has it varied over the 100 years or so that the whalers went to this
area?’” said Ummenhofer.

With this work, Ummenhofer and her team aim to minimize what’s missing
in climate reporting: usable information from data-sparse regions of the
world.

On Monday, May 14th, 1888, as a moderate trade wind blew from the
northeast between Cabo Verde and the Caribbean, the crew aboard the
Eunice H. Adams killed two sperm whales found in the middle of the
Atlantic.

“At 10 AM, lowered the two port boats,” wrote Arthur O. Gibbons, the
vessel’s log keeper. “Larboard boat went on and struck a small whale.
Soon after the waist boat went and struck a larger one,” wrote Gibbons.
“Cut in the small whale. So ends this day.” Six days later, the crew
caught and killed another two sperm whales...
- -
“There are a lot of avenues that historians can explore, to work hand in
glove with scientists,” Walker said. Whether it’s ancient medical
records or port records, he sees centuries-old documentation as an
untapped asset in our long-term understanding of climate change. “There
is a gold mine in our backyard for finding out information on past
weather patterns globally.”

The expedition of the Eunice H. Adams officially came to an end in the
spring of 1890.

“The ship was leaking badly from the beginning of the voyage in October
1887 to its end in March 1890,” said historian Stephen Luce, one of the
historians currently logging data for the Woods Hole whaling project.
Captain Martin was a Black sea captain, Luce said, suspecting that the
captain being given a leaky ship may have been reflective of racism.

Roughly one month before the Eunice H. Adams returned to Massachusetts,
Martin was replaced by another member of the crew. The ship’s logbook
offers no explanation. What it does offer is a look into the captain’s
struggles as one of the only Black sea captains leading such expeditions
at the time. “My guess is that all the better ships, the good ships that
were out there, went to the white captains,” said Luce.

Luce says he doesn’t know what happened to Martin after he left the
Eunice H. Adams. Records suggest that the transatlantic voyage aboard
the dilapidated brig was his final journey at sea, with one account
saying he fell ill and resigned of his own accord, returning home as a
paralytic.

What Luce does know is that Martin died in 1907 and that he was laid to
rest in a humble plot beside his wife in Chappaquiddick, Massachusetts,
close to the place the Martins once called home. “I was actually
thinking about visiting his grave,” said Luce.
https://grist.org/article/how-centuries-old-whaling-logs-are-filling-gaps-in-our-climate-knowledge/

/[The news archive - looking back at time of different political tonality ]/
/*November 4, 2009*/
November 4, 2009: On the same day that Senators John Kerry, Joe
Lieberman and Lindsey Graham announce a (doomed) plan to ensure that
climate-change legislation makes it through the Senate, MSNBC's Rachel
Maddow interviews Al Gore about the bill.

http://swampland.time.com/2009/11/04/kerry-graham-lieberman-launch-climate-change-framework/

http://youtu.be/HlRxkK7jPN0 (Part 1)

http://youtu.be/ymB1TIkcit8 (Part 2)

http://youtu.be/uLZOBj3dLmg (Part 3)

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*