[✔️] November 22, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Tue Nov 22 08:07:32 EST 2022

/*November 22, 2022*/

/[  COP27 results  ] /
*World still ‘on brink of climate catastrophe’ after Cop27 deal*
Experts say biggest economies must pledge more cuts to carbon emissions
but hail agreement to set up loss and damage fund
Fiona Harvey in Sharm el-Sheikh
Sun 20 Nov 2022
The world still stands “on the brink of climate catastrophe” after the
deal reached at the Cop27 UN climate summit on Sunday, and the biggest
economies must make fresh commitments to cut greenhouse gas emissions,
climate experts and campaigners have warned.

The agreement reached in Sharm el-Sheikh early on Sunday morning, after
a marathon final negotiating session that ran 40 hours beyond its
deadline, was hailed for providing poor countries for the first time
with financial assistance known as loss and damage. A fund will be set
up by rich governments for the rescue and rebuilding of vulnerable areas
stricken by climate disaster, a key demand of developing nations for the
last 30 years of climate talks...
- -
Oil-producing countries had thwarted attempts to strengthen the deal,
said Laurence Tubiana, one of the architects of the 2015 Paris climate
agreement, now chief executive of the European Climate Foundation. “The
influence of the fossil fuel industry was found across the board,” she
said. “This Cop has weakened requirements around countries making new
and more ambitious commitments [on cutting emissions]. The text [of the
deal] makes no mention of phasing out fossil fuels, and scant reference
to the 1.5C target.”

She blamed the host country, Egypt, for allowing its regional alliances
to sway the final decision, a claim hotly denied by the hosts. Next
year’s conference of the parties under the UN Framework Convention on
Climate Change (Cop) will take place in Dubai, hosted by the United Arab
Emirates, one of the world’s biggest oil exporters.

Tubiana warned: “The Egyptian presidency produced a text that clearly
protects oil and gas petro-states and the fossil fuel industries. This
trend cannot continue in the UAE next year.”...
- -
Alok Sharma, the UK’s Cop26 president, sacked as a minister by Rishi
Sunak, was visibly angry at the close of the conference. “Those of us
who came to Egypt to keep 1.5C alive, and to respect what every single
one of us agreed to in Glasgow, have had to fight relentlessly to hold
the line. We have had to battle to build on one of the key achievements
of Glasgow, the call on parties to revisit and strengthen their
[national plans on emissions].”

In Glasgow, in the final moments a commitment to phase out coal was
watered down by China and India to a phase down of coal, a last-minute
trial that reduced Sharma to the brink of tears. At Cop27, he joined
with efforts to include a phase down of all fossil fuels in the text,
but it was reduced in the final stages to a simple repetition of the
Glasgow commitment to phase down coal.

Sharma listed commitments weakened or lost, hitting the table for
emphasis: “We joined with many parties to propose a number of measures
that would have contributed to this. Emissions peaking before 2025, as
the science tells us is necessary. Not in this text. Clear
follow-through on the phase down of coal. Not in this text. A commitment
to phase out all fossil fuels. Not in this text. And the energy text,
weakened in the final minutes [to endorse “low-emissions energy”, which
can be interpreted as a reference to gas].”

In the end the responsibility will lie with everyone, as Meena Raman of
Third World Network, an adviser to developing countries, points out.
“Since the EU and Alok Sharma are disappointed that fossil fuel
phase-out is not in the text, we would like them to take leadership and
revise their NDCs [nationally determined contributions] and put into
plans their fossil fuel phase-out urgently and stop expansion of fossil
fuels including oil and gas. [It’s] not enough to play to the gallery
but act if they really want to save the planet and not hide behind 2050
net zero targets, which will bust the remaining carbon budget for 1.5C.”

Sharma concluded: “I said in Glasgow that the pulse of 1.5C was weak.
Unfortunately, it remains on life support.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/20/world-still-on-brink-of-climate-catastrophe-after-cop27-deal

/[ trigger warning - defining and  directly addressing eco-anxiety and
climate anxiety - video 23 mins ]/
*How to Stay Sane in a Dying World*
Our Changing Climate
42,481 views  Oct 21, 2022
Get a year of both Nebula and Curiosity Stream for just 14.79 here:
https://curiositystream.com/occ
Watch the full companion video on the wellness industry here:
https://nebula.tv/videos/occ-how-the-wellness-industry-profits-off-of-your-anxiety

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at how
you can fight climate anxiety. Specifically, I look at the root causes
of eco-anxiety and climate anxiety, why climate anxiety might only
become more prevalent, and then offer up some ideas on how to cope and
move through eco and climate anxiety.

*Climate anxiety resources you might find helpful :*
1. If you or someone you know is thinking about harming themselves,
please reach out for help. You can reach the US National Suicide hotline
24/7 at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or visit this link for a list of
international suicide hotlines:
https://www.suicidestop.com/call_a_hotline.html
2. Climate Cafes: http://climatechangecafe.org/
3. Good Grief Network: https://www.goodgriefnetwork.org/
4. Some US and International Climate Justice Organizations you could
join: https://climatejusticealliance.org/members-of-the-alliance/
5. Gen Dread Newsletter: https://gendread.substack.com/
6. For more exhaustive resources: www.climateandmind.org
7. For the readings and sources I used for this video:
https://fascinated-soccer-ac0.notion.site/Climate-Anxiety-Resources-b9d75a1816794041b8f3405586edd867

Help me make more videos like this via Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/OurChangingClimate
Email List: https://ourchangingclimateocc.substack.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OurClimateNow
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/occvideos/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/occ.climate/
Reddit: www.reddit.com/r/OurChangingClimate/
- -

    Timestamps:
    0:00 - Intro
    1:22 - What is Climate Anxiety
    5:02 - Why Are We Climate Anxious?
    9:00 - Is This Really An Individual Problem?
    12:29 - Internal Activism
    16:51 - External Activism
    19:23 - Living With Climate Anxiety
    20:20 - Sign up for CuriosityStream and Nebula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B07DLgzOQEg

/[ Philosophical - political presentation - misinformation - video
treatise 23 min - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWuJOcdXAAw ]/
*Why I Don't Care About Your Flight Emissions*
Our Changing Climate
Nov 18, 2022...
- -
In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at
climate hypocrisy and carbon guilt. Specifically, I dig into why I don't
care about your flight emissions, and how our attention to individual
carbon footprints and worries about being seen as hypocritical distract
from the task of dismantling the fossil fuel industry. Indeed, the
fossil fuel industry and pundits allied with oil and gas wield the
negativity of hypocrisy to stymie climate movements and fracture power.
In short climate hypocrisy and carbon guilt individualizes a crisis that
can only be tackled collectively.

I highly recommend checking out this article by writer Mary Annaise
Heglar  (which definitely influenced this video):
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/5/28/18629833/climate-change-2019-green-new-deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWuJOcdXAAw

- -

/[ Blaming the consumer  ]/
*I work in the environmental movement. I don’t care if you recycle.*
Stop obsessing over your environmental “sins.” Fight the oil and gas
industry instead.
By Mary Annaise Heglar  Updated Jun 4, 2019...
- -
The belief that this enormous, existential problem could have been fixed
if all of us had just tweaked our consumptive habits is not only
preposterous; it’s dangerous. It turns environmentalism into an
individual choice defined as sin or virtue, convicting those who don’t
or can’t uphold these ethics. When you consider that the same IPCC
report outlined that the vast majority of global greenhouse gas
emissions come from just a handful of corporations — aided and abetted
by the world’s most powerful governments, including the US — it’s victim
blaming, plain and simple.

When people come to me and confess their green sins, as if I were some
sort of eco-nun, I want to tell them they are carrying the guilt of the
oil and gas industry’s crimes. That the weight of our sickly planet is
too much for any one person to shoulder. And that that blame paves the
road to apathy, which can really seal our doom...
- -
While we’re busy testing each other’s purity, we let the government and
industries — the authors of said devastation — off the hook completely.
This overemphasis on individual action shames people for their everyday
activities, things they can barely avoid doing because of the fossil
fuel-dependent system they were born into. In fact, fossil fuels supply
more than 75 percent of the US energy system...
- -
We need to broaden our definition of personal action beyond what we buy
or use. Start by changing your lightbulb, but don’t stop there. Taking
part in a climate strike or showing up to a rally is a personal action.
Organizing neighbors to sue a power plant that’s poisoning the community
is a personal action.

Voting is a personal action. When choosing your candidate, investigate
their environmental policies. If they aren’t strong enough, demand
better. Once that person is in office, hold them accountable. And if
that doesn’t work, run for office yourself — that’s another personal action.

Take your personal action and magnify it into something bigger than what
kind of bag totes your groceries.

*I don’t care*
Here’s my confession: I don’t care how green you are. I want you in the
movement for climate justice.

I don’t care how long you’ve been engaged in the climate conversation,
10 years or 10 seconds. I don’t care how many statistics you can rattle
off. I don’t need you to be all-solar-everything to be an
environmentalist. I don’t need you to be vegan-er than thou, or me, for
that matter. I don’t care if you are eating a burger right this minute.

I don’t even care if you work on an oil rig. In some parts of the
country, those are the only jobs that pay enough for you to feed your
family. And I don’t blame workers for that. I blame their employers. I
blame the industry that is choking us all, and the government that is
letting them do it.

All I need you to do is want a livable future. This is your planet, and
no one can advocate for it like you can. No one can protect it like you can.

*We have 11 years — not to start but to finish saving the planet.**
**
**I’m not here to absolve you. And I’m not here to abdicate you. I am
here to fight with you. *

Mary Annaïse Heglar is a climate justice essayist and the director of
publications at the Natural Resources Defense Council in New York. Find
her on Twitter or Medium.
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/5/28/18629833/climate-change-2019-green-new-deal

/[ a little musical song -- don't forget where we are ]/
*Galaxy Song - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life*
Monty Python
Nov 13, 2008
Subscribe to the Official Monty Python Channel here -
http://smarturl.it/SubscribeToPython
Galaxy Song, taken from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Terry Jones
picked this as part of his Top 10 Monty Python Movie Moments for Esquire
Magazine -
"It's such a lovely song. I think it's one of the best things Eric
[Idle]'s ever done. There was going to be more animation but Terry was
so busy with other parts of the film we ended up using more of the
live-action parts that I'd shot for safety."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*November 22, 2009*/
November 22, 2009:
CNN reports on the disproportionate toll climate change takes on women.

    According to the report, universal access to reproductive healthcare
    and family planning -- a UNFPA goal since 1994 -- in combination
    with improved education of girls and gender equality would lead to
    significant declines in fertility, stabilizing the population of the
    planet at a level far below estimates commonly used in scientific
    models of future climate change.

    In turn, the argument goes, carbon emissions would also fall,
    reducing the risk of global warming reaching a "tipping point" and
    running out of control.

    "Helping women to make their own decisions about family size would
    protect their health, make their lives easier, help put their
    countries on a sustainable path towards development -- and ensure
    lower greenhouse-gas emissions in the long run," said Obaid.

    But critics said that conflating population control with efforts to
    tackle climate change was overly simplistic. Caroline Boin, an
    analyst at London-based think tank International Policy Network,
    also said the report was patronizing to women in the developing world.

    "Whatever the problem, UNFPA repeats the same old mantra -- the
    culprit is population and the solution is condoms," she said. "Food
    scarcity, water shortages, and health problems in poor countries
    truly are threats for women. Population and climate control policies
    are not the solution, and if anything, will give governments an
    excuse to remain complacent in addressing poverty."

    But Obaid said the debate over tackling climate change needed to
    take into consideration "how individual behavior can undermine or
    contribute to the global effort to cool our warming world,"
    especially in the run-up to December's COP15 summit in Copenhagen.

    "We cannot successfully confront climate change if we neglect the
    needs, rights and potential of half the people on our planet," she said.

    "Women should be part of any agreement on climate change -- not as
    an afterthought or because it's politically correct, but because
    it's the right thing to do. Our future as humanity depends on
    unleashing the full potential of all human beings, and the full
    capacity of women, to bring about change."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/11/18/climate.change.women/

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*