[✔️] November 23, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Wed Nov 23 11:08:37 EST 2022

/*November 23, 2022*/

/[ Royalty of climate journalism, Elizabeth Kolbert scrolls through the
alphabet of global warming items --  in the New Yorker  - text and
listen-to-the-story audio ]/
*CLIMATE CHANGE FROM A TO Z*
The stories we tell ourselves about the future.
by Elizabeth Kolbert
November 21, 2022
/[it concludes] /Climate change isn’t a problem that can be solved by
summoning the “will.” It isn’t a problem that can be “fixed” or
“conquered,” though these words are often used. It isn’t going to have a
happy ending, or a win-win ending, or, on a human timescale, any ending
at all. Whatever we might want to believe about our future, there are
limits, and we are up against them.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/11/28/climate-change-from-a-to-z

- -

/[  Now Bill McKibben warns us off geo-engineering -- also in the New
Yorker ]/
*Dimming the Sun to Cool the Planet Is a Desperate Idea, Yet We’re
Inching Toward It*
The scientists who study solar geoengineering don’t want anyone to try
it. But climate inaction is making it more likely.
By Bill McKibben
November 22, 2022
But there’s no denying the author’s prescience: this spring saw the most
dire pre-monsoon heat wave in Indian history; only a slightly lower
humidity prevented a real-life reprise of the mass death in the book. It
will take such an event to trigger something as powerful as
geoengineering, Robinson said, when we talked this summer. Countries and
individuals probably won’t be spurred to preëmptively geoengineer the
atmosphere “by the sense of a coming crisis,” he told me, “nor by sea
level rise or habitat loss or anything else that is an indirect effect
of rising global temperatures. It will be the direct consequence—deaths
by way of extreme heat wave—that will do it.” He pointed out that, as we
spoke, China was undergoing a heat wave even more anomalous than the one
in South Asia, and, as a result, had deployed fleets of planes to seed
clouds with silver iodide in hopes of inducing rain—not a huge step from
sending those same fleets into the stratosphere with sulphur. I think
Robinson’s analysis is likely correct; there will come a point when the
sheer impossible horror of what we’re doing to the planet, and what we
have already done, may make geoengineering seem irresistible.

But there’s another plot device that has emerged, this one in real life:
the dramatic drop in the price of renewable energy. We’ve long imagined
that dealing with global warming requires moving from cheap fossil fuels
to expensive renewable energy, but, in the past few years, oil, gas, and
coal have grown more expensive, and sun and wind power have plummeted in
price. Suddenly, we have the power to deal with global warming by
transitioning, very rapidly, from expensive fossil fuels to cheap
sources of renewable energy.

The transition to clean energy should keep getting easier in the next
few years, both because the price of clean energy keeps dropping as we
get more experienced at using it, and because the political power of the
fossil-fuel industry to slow down the transition should wane, as solar
and wind builds its own muscular constituency. And it needs to happen if
we are to halve emissions by 2030 and so have a decent chance of meeting
the targets set in Paris. Perhaps we’d take that deadline more seriously
if we saw it as our best shot at avoiding a planet wrecked by carbon and
also put at risk by sulphur. Solar panels and wind turbines are our best
vaccine against high temperatures, but also against the hubris of one
more giant gamble. ♦

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/dimming-the-sun-to-cool-the-planet-is-a-desperate-idea-yet-were-inching-toward-it?utm_source=nl&utm_brand=tny&utm_mailing=TNY_McKibben_11222022&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_medium=email&bxid=5bea0ea53f92a404695c0198&user_id=29625806&hasha=a0e71543f9768904d435122e83356d30&hashb=d79260b0c8ea3be054ef3d9538ec6d6ef33c0123&hashc=076065f74a4a4ceff0e349bf1785280ac9e39c12b83e63c5f22c6f6c42fba23e&esrc=&utm_term=TNY_ClimateCrisis

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/dimming-the-sun-to-cool-the-planet-is-a-desperate-idea-yet-were-inching-toward-it

/[ Aljazeera - Opinion from outside the Western hemisphere ]//
///*The West will not act on climate change until it feels its pain*
Pleas from the Global South will not stir Western government into
action. Only Western suffering will.
Patrick Gathara
Communications consultant, writer, and award-winning political
cartoonist based in Nairobi.
Published On 19 Nov 2022

If there is anything that has been true in the history of the world, it
is that states, and especially Western states, rarely if ever act out of
a sense of moral compulsion, when such acts could impose hardships back
home. Look at the rhetoric around support for Ukraine following the
Russian invasion as an example.

While the conflict has been presented in starkly moralistic terms, as
the West helping brave Ukraine stand up to Russian bullies, it has been
clear that moralism can be quickly discarded in the face of discomfort
for their citizens. The prospect of cold European homes and high prices
motivated the European Union to leave a myriad of loopholes in its
sanctions to allow for the flow of Russian gas and oil to continue. When
Russian gas was cut off, European governments did not hesitate to reach
out to various fossil fuel-rich autocrats they otherwise regularly
criticise for their dismal human rights record.

The same dynamic is evident in the narratives and proposals that were
tabled at the latest United Nations Climate Change Conference in Sharm
el-Sheikh, Egypt. Lots of the talk was about helping the
unfortunately-situated “Global South” cope with the ravages of extreme
weather events such as droughts and floods, and helping them transition
into greener sources of energy.

Like during the Cold War, the West is actively theatre-shopping,
recruiting countries to serve as arenas for its climate fight.
Switzerland, for example, plans to cut its greenhouse gas emissions in
half by 2030, not by actually reducing them, which might require
inconveniencing its citizens, but by paying countries like Ghana to
reduce its emissions and give it credit.

The idea would be for the Swiss government to pay for efficient lighting
and cleaner stoves to be installed in Ghanaian households and claim the
resulting reduction in emissions as its own. Switzerland is not the only
Western nation to use such carbon-offsetting schemes, which displace
climate action from rich polluting nations and frame poorer nations that
have contributed little to the crisis as the ones that need to change
the most.

They were very much present at COP 27, too. The United States, for
example, unveiled a new carbon trading scheme that supposedly would help
poorer nations transition to cleaner energy. In it, large Western
companies would invest in renewable energy projects in the Global South
in exchange for being allowed to continue emitting large quantities of
greenhouse gases. As environmentalists have pointed out, this is little
more than another scheme allowing Western Big Business to continue
polluting and reaping large profits.

However, Western talk about transition by poorer countries is not only
about deflecting from a focus on their reluctance to decarbonise their
own economies and shifting the blame for the climate problems to those
least responsible for them. It is also an example of what 19th-century
German economist Friedrich List called “kicking away the ladder”.

“It is a very common clever device that when anyone has attained the
summit of greatness, he kicks away the ladder by which he has climbed
up, in order to deprive others of the means of climbing up after him,”
he wrote in 1841.

While List applied this to the familiar prescriptions of free trade by
the British who had themselves clambered up the ladder of mercantilism,
it is just as applicable to today’s push by the West to have others not
follow their energy path to the top, while they keep the advantages of
such ascension – an approach they have also applied to nuclear weapons
technology.

In response, many non-Western countries have been keen to either
highlight the injustice of having to bear the cost of mitigating extreme
weather events caused by others. They have also appealed to the Western
sense of self-preservation by arguing, as the prime minister of the
Bahamas has, that climate change would send hordes of refugees to
Europe, overwhelming the systems of privilege the West has built to
insulate itself from the problems it has caused in the rest of the world.

However, both these approaches accept a faulty premise: that climate
change is primarily a problem for the Global South, with the West
escaping largely unscathed, yet again managing to outsource the pain to
the rest of the globe.

Yet, a report from the World Meteorological Organization released on
November 2 said “temperatures in Europe have increased at more than
twice the global average over the past 30 years – the highest of any
continent in the world” and predicted “exceptional heat, wildfires,
floods and other climate change impacts will affect society, economies
and ecosystems”.

Just this year, the effects of this have been startlingly visible. The
region suffered extreme heatwaves that caused the worst drought in half
a millennium, dried up rivers and reservoirs, fuelled wildfires that
destroyed more than 660,000 hectares (1.63 million acres) of land and
killed at least 15,000 people. Further west, states in the US are
battling a 22-year megadrought, the worst in a millennium, and across
North America, water levels in rivers, lakes and reservoirs are dropping.

Rather than appealing to the West’s conscience or pushing the tale that
they will only be indirectly affected by the folly of their actions, the
world should borrow the language of JRR Tolkien in The Hobbit: “If this
is to end in fire, then we should all burn together.”

The fact is, the West has just as much to lose, if not more, than the
rest of us, from the climate crisis. Using the tropes of the 1990s’
humanitarian appeals that portray Global South folk as helpless victims
will only inspire the same superficial, charitable responses that are
designed to make the giver look and feel good, rather than address the
problem – as Switzerland has demonstrated.

       [ see the political cartoon
https://www.aljazeera.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/COP27.jpg?resize=770%2C513
]

Rather than saving Brazilian rainforests, maybe a better and more
impactful discussion would be what to do about the drying Seine. Rather
than the image of climate change being floods in Pakistan, perhaps it
should be the thousands dying in heatwaves in the United Kingdom.

In the end, it is not our pain and suffering that will move the West in
any meaningful way. It is a recognition of their own. And only when we
change the conversation can we expect that to happen.

/The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not
necessarily reflect Al Jazeera’s editorial stance./
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/11/19/global-south-pleas-wont-get-the-west-to-act-on-climate-change

/[  Every person and living being in the world is connected to climates
destabilizing  ]/
*Live from #COP27: Katharine Hayhoe & Bernadette Woods Placky | UN
Climate Change*
UN Climate Change
1,290 views  Streamed live on Nov 10, 2022
At COP 27, countries come together to take action towards achieving the
world’s collective climate goals as agreed under the Paris Agreement and
the Convention. Building on the outcomes and momentum of COP 26 in
Glasgow last year, nations are expected to demonstrate at COP 27 that
they are in a new era of implementation by turning their commitments
under The Paris Agreement into action. The conference will take place
from 6-18 November 2022 in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. Heads of State and
Government will attend the Sharm el-Sheikh Climate Implementation Summit
on 7 and 8 November. A high-level segment primarily attended by
Ministers will take place from 15-18 November.

https://youtu.be/Kf3QR7-Jfig?t=167

/[ voice of expertise ]/
*How Long Would Society Last During a Total Grid Collapse?*
Practical Engineering
2.99M subscribers
Nov 22, 2022
A summary of how other systems of infrastructure (like roadways, water,
sewer, and telecommunications) depend on electricity and how long each
system could last under total blackout conditions.

This video was guest produced by my editor, Wesley, who is also the
actor in the blackout scenes ;)

Practical Engineering is a YouTube channel about infrastructure and the
human-made world around us. It is hosted, written, and produced by Grady
Hillhouse. We have new videos posted regularly, so please subscribe for
updates. If you enjoyed the video, hit that ‘like’ button, give us a
comment, or watch another of our videos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpC4fH3mEk

/[ Nice to see that the EPA regards climate change as risk - two videos ]/
*See risk-based climate change planning in action*
https://www.epa.gov/cre/risk-based-adaptation

- -

/[ standard definitions of risk - video  13 mins  ]/
*ISO 31000 Risk Definition, Principles, Framework and Processes, and how
they effect Objectives*
PCR Global
632 views  Sep 6, 2022
Video: ISO 31000 Risk Definition, Principles, Framework and Processes,
and how they effect Objectives
If you are new to risk management or in particular have an interest in
ISO 31000 this video may be of interest.

Despite there being no universal definition, having a 'go to' definition
of risk which we can explain amongst peers, colleagues and articulate to
clients is really important if we are to embed risk management into
organisations, programs and projects.

This video is on the definition of risk and how both it, the principles,
framework and risk management process can effect objectives is an
element taken from the wider PCR Global ISO 31000:2018 training course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K85qXpu0y9E

/[ The news archive - looking back at early awareness ]/
/*November 23, 2014 */
November 23, 2014: The New York Times reports:

"A warming climate is melting [Glacier National Park's] glaciers, an icy
retreat that promises to change not just tourists’ vistas, but also the
mountains and everything around them.

"Streams fed by snowmelt are reaching peak spring flows weeks earlier
than in the past, and low summer flows weeks before they used to. Some
farmers who depend on irrigation in the parched days of late summer are
no longer sure that enough water will be there. Bull trout, once
pan-fried over anglers’ campfires, are now caught and released to
protect a population that is shrinking as water temperatures rise."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/us/climate-change-threatens-to-strip-the-identity-of-glacier-national-park.html?mwrsm=Email

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*