[✔️] November 24, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Thu Nov 24 11:05:35 EST 2022

/*November 24, 2022*/

/[ we prefer trusted news organizations -- not propaganda attacks - NPR ]/
*Climate change is making the weather more severe. Why don't most
forecasts mention it?*
November 23, 2022
Rebecca Hersher at NPR headquarters in Washington, D.C...
- -
The day before the storm made landfall in Florida, the acting director
of the hurricane center, Jamie Rhome, appeared on CNN and was asked how
climate change might be affecting the storm's intensification. He
responded, "We can come back and talk about climate change at a later
time. I want to focus on the here and now."

Pressed by CNN's Don Lemon, Rhome responded, "I don't think you can link
climate change to any one event. On the whole, on the cumulative,
climate change may be making storms worse. But to link it to any one
event, I would caution against that."
"That statement was wrong," says Wehner. "It is entirely appropriate for
me to say climate change made this event more intense."

Indeed, a preliminary analysis by Wehner and other climate scientists in
the days after Ian made landfall estimated that climate change caused
the storm to drop at least 10% more rain than it would have without
global warming.

Asked about Rhome's comments, Rick Spinrad, administrator of NOAA ,
which oversees the National Hurricane Center, said it is clear that
climate change is affecting hurricanes and tropical storms.

"You look at what happened with Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Ian," he
said in a recent interview with NPR, about two months after Hurricane
Ian. "These storms are dumping feet of rain. We've not tended to see
that before. So when you talk about attribution, I think it's
unequivocal that we can attribute to climate change the changes in the
dynamics of these storms."
But, Spinrad says, the research "isn't robust enough yet" for weather
forecasters to say exactly how much worse a given weather disaster will
be, in real-time. Nor should that necessarily be the primary goal.
Instead, he says his agency is focused on giving people information
about what to expect in the future. For example, as heat waves get more
intense, NOAA hopes to use extreme-event attribution science to beef up
its ability to warn people.

*How we communicate about climate change affects public support for
climate policies...*
- -
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/23/1136809782/climate-change-is-making-the-weather-more-severe-why-dont-most-forecasts-mention

- -

/[ Note how Australian weather forecasters freely use climate change