[✔️] October 2, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Sun Oct 2 04:19:56 EDT 2022

/*October 2, 2022*/

/[ opinion in Scientific American ]/
*The Public Wants Scientists to Be More Involved in Policy Debates*
Researchers worry about being branded as partisan, but people want to
hear from experts
By Naomi Oreskes on September 1, 2022
Many scientists are loath to involve themselves in policy debates for
fear of losing credibility. They worry that if they participate in
public debate on a contested issue, they will be viewed as biased and
discounted as partisan. That perception then will lead to science itself
being branded as partisan, further weakening public trust in research...
- -
A 2021 survey by researchers at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public
Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation found there is broad
support for public health agencies and their activities in the U.S. Yet
although public health experts say that dealing with the medical effects
of climate change is a major responsibility of these health agencies,
most survey respondents did not. Perhaps many people don't realize how
seriously climate change threatens health.

Trusting in science is not an either-or proposition. It depends on many
variables. Researchers do need to stay within their areas of authority:
climate scientists should not be offering stock tips or medical advice.
But our research suggests that they can feel comfortable offering policy
advice in fields where they are acknowledged experts. The ozone story is
a case in point: no one knew better than ozone scientists about the
cause of the dangerous hole and therefore what needed to be done to fix it.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-public-wants-scientists-to-be-more-involved-in-policy-debates/

/[ //Maggie Koerth is a senior science writer for FiveThirtyEight. //]/
*How Natural Disasters Can Change A Politician*
By Maggie Koerth
SEP. 30, 2022
A 2021 review of existing literature discovered ample evidence that
living through a natural disaster is associated with higher levels of
self-reported belief that climate change is a problem and a greater
concern about what this might do to you and your family. Our own polling
with Ipsos earlier this month showed something similar. Even among
Republicans, nearly half of those who had experienced an extreme weather
event in the past five years told us they were worried about climate
change, compared with only 17 percent who hadn’t experienced a natural
disaster.

But there are limits to the ability of a disaster to prevent future
calamities. For one thing, the same review paper that showed increased
belief in climate change didn’t find a corresponding increase in
behaviors that would deal with that issue. And changes in belief are
still heavily moderated by what people already think...
- -
It’s going to take a lot more research to fully understand why
politicians sometimes change their policy in the face of climate
disaster and sometimes don’t. Meanwhile, just because lawmakers are
responding to natural disasters with environmental votes doesn’t mean
they aren’t seeing other, seedier kinds of legislative opportunities
from the same event. Ethan Kaplan, an economist at University of
Maryland, College Park, and his colleagues found that politicians are
likely to use the immediate aftermath of a natural disaster to push
through votes favoring the concerns of special-interest donors when
nobody is paying attention. That’s not a contradiction to the idea that
disaster could prompt politicians to take action on climate change.
Instead, Kaplan said, the two things can run parallel. A disaster can
create a distraction for donors’ goals in the short term, even as it
prompts greater environmental policies in the long run.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-natural-disasters-can-change-a-politician/

/[ smart visuals and great animations, key interviews in this superb DW
documentary -- w/ Stefan Rahmstorf -- video 52 mins ]/
*Wind and climate change | DW Documentary*
Oct 1, 2022  Shifting wind patterns are making extreme weather events
more likely. This is because the wind, which distributes areas of high
and low pressure along the latitude lines of the Earth, is also being
influenced by climate change.

The wind is the motor for our weather. It brings us both sunshine and
rain. And during the winter months, it regularly blows itself up into
heavy storms. But throughout the globe, climate change is causing shifts
in existing wind systems - with devastating consequences. Atlantic
hurricanes, which build up over the tropics and often lay waste to
swathes of land on the eastern coast of the US, are becoming more
intense and bringing heavier rainfall.

Scientists are looking for clues as to the precise causes for the
warming in the Arctic, where temperatures are climbing more rapidly than
anywhere else in the world. In the northern hemisphere, rising
temperatures result in wind systems ‘twisting’ at 10-kilometer
altitudes. The Arctic jet stream drives high- and low-pressure areas
around the globe. It travels around the planet from west to east at
speeds of up to 500 kilometers an hour. But in recent years,
meteorologists have noticed more frequent weaker phases in the jet
stream - with fatal consequences for Europe. Droughts like the one
experienced in 2018 and flood catastrophes like that of 2021 are both
likely to recur.

Researchers on the island of Spitsbergen have already made an alarming
discovery. Climate change is altering the wind, and the altered wind is
accelerating climate change - a dangerous vicious cycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qySBQjSXbfw

/[  The World is a system -- "The climate situation is a result of
something much different - 50 min video interview ] /
*The Limits of Human Wisdom | George Mobus*
Aug 25, 2022  George Mobus is Professor Emeritus at University of
Washington, Tacoma. His broad academic background saw him conduct
research on artificial intelligence, cybernetics and systems science.

George joins me to discuss how systems science is failing to grasp the
polycrisis—that the field has been split into silos, leaving most
systems scientists without the tools to model the complexity of the
emergency we face.

He also explains the neurological limits of individual human wisdom,
suggesting the agricultural revolution affected our capacity for
abstract thinking, before revealing how humans can work past those
limits—collectively.

🔴 Discover George's work: https://faculty.washington.edu/gmobus/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLKYI1TDFXI

/[ It's SO distressing to see and feel the consequences of decades of
Humans attacking our global resources - Now, all our plans for survival
rely on ethical decision-making from those in power (who mostly  have
little use for ethics).   For forty years we have known the toxicity of
carbon combustion - now part of our new enlightenment is the discovery
of how badly we have blundered.   The first error was in doing the wrong
thing for long-term survival -- and the second error is that we are
failing to put a stop to our first error.   We have faced  many tests --
and since so many were inconsequential -- we learned nothing.  Now we
face the biggest test - extinction ( escalating because we failed to
learn from the myriad of our earlier errors. )   We facie our conundrum
by pretending it doesn't matter.   Most everyone has been rewarded for
ignoring the problem.  (means the rewards for ignorance must be more and
more)  Pretty exciting times these are.    ]/

/[The news archive - looking back at how we presented controversy ]/
/*October 2, 2008*/
October 2, 2008: Vice-presidential candidates Joe Biden and Sarah Palin
spar over climate and energy issues in their lone debate, moderated by
Gwen Ifill.

http://youtu.be/5qhox5P_jCg

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*