[✔️] October 6, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Thu Oct 6 07:28:02 EDT 2022

/*October 6, 2022*/

/[  President speaks in Florida - video ] /
*PBS NewsHour full episode, Oct. 5, 2022*
Oct 5, 2022  Wednesday on the NewsHour, President Biden visits Florida
to assess the damage from Hurricane Ian as rescue and recovery efforts
continue across the state. An American citizen detained for over six
years in Iran flies out of the country for surgery...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOksa729wK0&t=163s

/[ opinion clips from the Atlantic ]/
*The Climate Economy Is About to Explode*
A new report suggests that the Inflation Reduction Act could be even
bigger than Congress thinks.
By Robinson Meyer
Late last month, analysts at the investment bank Credit Suisse published
a research note about America’s new climate law that went nearly
unnoticed. The Inflation Reduction Act, the bank argued, is even more
important than has been recognized so far: The IRA will “will have a
profound effect across industries in the next decade and beyond” and
could ultimately shape the direction of the American economy, the bank
said. The report shows how even after the bonanza of climate-bill
coverage earlier this year, we’re still only beginning to understand how
the law works and what it might mean for the economy...
- -
Finally, those of us who have long worked in climate change—and here I
include myself, who started covering this topic in 2015—should have some
excitement and even humility about this deluge of new talent. Even
setting its arduous politics aside, managing climate change is a
legitimately difficult technical and cultural problem—it’s going to
require as many attentive and enthusiastic brains as possible, and the
path to decarbonizing always required an infusion of new workers,
investment, and good will. If you don’t yet work in the industry, but
have always cared about climate change as an issue, well, this is your
moment to get involved. These companies are going to need engineers,
yes, but also programmers, accountants, marketers, HR staff, general
counsels—there is space for everyone now.

The fight against climate change is going to change more in the next
four years than it has in the past 40. The great story of our lives is
just beginning. Welcome aboard.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2022/10/inflation-reduction-act-climate-economy/671659/

/[ book review ]/
* Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis*
October 5, 2022

    Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis
    Eve Darian-Smith
    Stanford University Press. 2022
    ISBN: 9781503631083

This book situates the climate crisis in a socioeconomic context,
showing, writes reviewer Chen, how events like big wildfires are
"important signifiers of an unfolding global calamity that urges the
public to challenge the status quo."
Sibo Chen
In recent years, catastrophic wildfires, as evidenced by viral video
clips depicting burning forests, billowing smoke and evacuees, have
sparked growing public concern around the globe. What are the causes and
consequences of this environmental crisis and what can be done to
prevent it? These are the main subjects addressed in Eve Darian-Smith’s
Global Burning, a book that connects wildfires to the broader economic,
social and political issues underlying climate change. Through
theoretically grounded reflections on the intersections of wildfire,
climate change and capitalism, Darian-Smith emphasises how
out-of-control wildfires have become important signifiers of an
unfolding global calamity that urges the public to challenge the status
quo...
- -
Global Burning offers a timely examination of the economic, social and
political roots of wildfires. It is thought-provoking, especially
considering how ubiquitous extreme weather events have become. Even
though the book’s key messages can be found elsewhere (for example, in
Ending Fossil Fuels by Holly Jean Buck and Planet on Fire by Mathew
Lawrence and Laurie Laybourn-Langton), the concept of ‘thinking through
fire’ is of critical importance because it highlights how the status quo
of global capitalism is economically and socially unsustainable. While
some may criticise the absence of policy prescriptions or strategies for
wildfire prevention in the book, I believe this highlights the
inconvenient reality of climate change mitigation: there will be no
magic solution until the world collectively embraces a fundamental
rethinking of human-nature relations and life beyond capitalism.
https://portside.org/2022-10-05/global-burning-rising-antidemocracy-and-climate-crisis

/[  get thee to Uruguay ]/
*What Does Sustainable Living Look Like? Maybe Like Uruguay*
No greater challenge faces humanity than reducing emissions without
backsliding into preindustrial poverty. One tiny country is leading the way.
By Noah Gallagher Shannon
Oct. 5, 2022
- -
This is the paradox at the heart of climate change: We’ve burned far too
many fossil fuels to go on living as we have, but we’ve also never
learned to live well without them. As the Yale economist Robert
Mendelsohn puts it, the problem of the future is how to create a
19th-century carbon footprint without backsliding into a 19th-century
standard of living. No model exists for creating such a world, which is
partly why paralysis has set in at so many levels. The greatest crisis
in human history may require imagining ways of living — not just of
energy production but of daily habit — that we have never seen before.
How do we begin to imagine such a household?

Late last year, I traveled to Uruguay in hope of glimpsing one
possibility. Wedged between its larger and more routinely travelogued
neighbors, Brazil and Argentina, the small Latin American country exists
as something of an anomaly. With a carbon footprint hovering around the
global median of 4.5 tons per capita, it falls within a narrow tier of
nearly developed countries within sight of two tons per capita — the
estimated amount needed to limit the world to 1.5 degrees Celsius of
warming. Often called the Great Exception for its relative wealth and
stability in the region, it enjoys a poverty rate around 10 percent and
a middle class encompassing more than half the population. It ranks
first in South America for political rights and civil liberties. There
are countries more prosperous, and countries with a smaller carbon
footprint, but perhaps in none do the overlapping possibilities of
living well and living without ruin show as much promise as in Uruguay.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/magazine/uruguay-renewable-energy.html

/[ United Nations UN News ]/
*Climate change heightens threats of violence against women and girls*
5 October 2022  Climate and Environment
Climate change and environmental degradation are escalating the risk and
prevalence of violence against women and girls across the world, a
UN-appointed independent human rights expert warned on Wednesday.

Presenting a report to the General Assembly on its causes and
consequences, Reem Alsalem, UN Special Rapporteur on violence against
women and girls described climate change as “the most consequential
threat multiplier for women and girls, with far-reaching impacts on new
and existing forms of gendered inequities”.

She maintained that the “cumulative and gendered consequences” of
climate change and environmental degradation “breach all aspects” of
their rights.

*Climate inequality*
Ms. Alsalem emphasised the damaging ways in which violence directed
towards women and girls intersects with socio-political and economic
phenomena, including armed conflict, displacement and resource scarcity...
- -
“The wellbeing and the rights of women and girls should not be an
afterthought and must be placed at the centre of policies and responses”.

She upheld that if designed and implemented with a robust gender lens,
“the global response to climate change and environmental degradation can
be truly transformative, rather than reinforce a vicious cycle”.

Special Rapporteurs are appointed by the Geneva-based UN Human Rights
Council to examine and report back on a specific human rights theme or a
country situation. The positions are honorary and the experts are not
paid for their work.
https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/10/1129242

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*October 6, 2008*/
October 6, 2008: DeSmogBlog's Jeremy Jacquot praises the 2008
vice-presidential debate between Senator Joseph Biden (D-DE) and
Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK) for its focus on climate change and energy
issues:

"Palin made a big show of her ticket’s emphasis on 'energy independence'
– even ducking a question about bankruptcy laws to cheer for more
offshore drilling – and McCain’s 'all of the above' policy. Though she
went through the motions, I have my doubts that she supports mandatory
caps – or, frankly, that she supports any real meaningful action on
climate change. Now if only the next debate moderator can get the
presidential candidates arguing about climate policy…"

http://www.desmogblog.com/biden-palin-finally-a-real-debate-about-climate-change-and-energy

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*