[✔️] October 7, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Fri Oct 7 10:55:20 EDT 2022

/*October 7, 2022*/

/[ COP = Conference Of Parties  ]/
*UN Climate Change*
"#COP27 in Egypt 🇪🇬 is about actually getting stuff done."
Ahead of the UN climate conference in November,
@simonstiell  talked to @UN  news about what countries must deliver to
keep the 1.5°C goal alive.
https://twitter.com/UNFCCC/status/1578347892045221889

/- -
/

/[However, it may be a COP out -- from Nexus Hot News ]/
*Young, African Activists Shut Out From 'African COP': Despite
organizers' claim COP27 will be "the African COP,"* activists from the
continent least responsible for and most vulnerable to climate change
are being shut out, the Guardian Reports. Africa's 54 countries comprise
15% of the world's population but just 4% of cumulative climate
pollution; 70% of sub-Saharan Africans are younger than 30 years-old. “I
need to be there to advocate for communities like mine to be prioritised
in loss and damage finance. We are at the frontline of the climate
crisis, facing the risk of extinction,” Mana Omar, 27, of Kenya, the
founder and CEO of Spring of the Arid and Semi-Arid Lands and member of
Fridays for Future, said. The issue of whether wealthy nations should
(be required to) compensate developing nations for the losses and
damages caused by climate change is a long-contentious issue receiving
increasing attention in the runup to COP27. Organizers say COP27 will be
the best-attended ever, citing 35,000 registrations, but registration
does not guarantee access, and so far zero young advocates from Egypt,
Burundi, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Tanzania, Morocco,
Chad, South Africa, Benin, or Somalia have secured badges enabling them
to attend. Badges are far from the only barrier, however, even with a
badge, and even if an advocate can navigate the byzantine visa system,
and even if an advocate can afford to travel to Egypt, they'll still
need a place to sleep. “It’s still 50:50,” Omar said, of whether she
will be able to attend. “It’s very, very hard to get the funding and the
hotel costs are too high.” (Access barriers: The Guardian; Loss &
Damage: Bloomberg $, Reuters, Climate Home)
https://newsletter.climatenexus.org/20221007-cop27-access-wildfire-smoke-redlining-fat-bear-week

/[  Beckisphere offers a well-crafted summary of recent climate
news...18 min video ]/
*Young activists prepare for COP27, World Bank is accused of
greenwashing itself*
Oct 6, 2022  If you like the work I do, please consider joining the
Beckisphere Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/beckisphere or buying me
a cup of coffee at https://www.buymeacoffee.com/beckisphere. Remember to
talk about the climate crisis every day and support your local news
organizations!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW2UTdHJ-18

/[ Democracy Now video ]/
*Florida's Deadliest Hurricane in Years May Worsen Inequality, Housing
Amid DeSantis's Culture War*
Oct 5, 2022  As President Biden meets with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis
and survivors of Hurricane Ian, the deadliest storm to hit the state in
decades, we get an update from Florida state Representative Michele
Rayner on relief efforts underway and the housing crisis exacerbated by
the storm. Republicans like Governor DeSantis are "more concerned about
sticking it to Joe Biden than actually making sure that they can take
care of their people," says Rayner. She also discusses the treatment of
asylum seekers in Florida and the anti-LGBT "Don't Say Gay" bill.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIe3ZAOdqtA

/[ The Guardian suggestions for mass media TV content --- ]
/*‘This is part of our world now’: can TV shows adequately reflect the
climate crisis?*
Only around 2.8% of TV shows and films between 2016 and 2020 mentioned
climate issues. But a new run of writers is looking to increase
Katharine Gammon
Tue 4 Oct 2022
 From hurricanes bearing down on Florida to megafires burning in the
west, the climate crisis seems to be everywhere, all at once. But in TV
shows and movies, mentions of climate are far rarer.

A study by the University of Southern California’s Media Impact lab
examined more than 37,000 film and TV scripts that aired in the US
between 2016 and 2020. It found that only 2.8% even mentioned
climate-adjacent words like solar panels, fracking, sea level rise or
renewable energy.
“We know that’s really low for a phenomenon that we are all
experiencing,” said Anna Jane Joyner, founder of Good Energy, a
non-profit consulting firm. The group has a goal: to get 50% of
television and film scripts to touch on the climate crisis by 2027...
A growing number of shows are incorporating climate themes, Joyner said.
Last season, the long-running hospital drama Grey’s Anatomy aired an
episode called Hotter Than Hell, based on the real-life heat dome that
baked the Pacific north-west the previous summer. “When the body’s
exposed to rising temperatures, it has the ability to cool itself down.
We sweat, our blood vessels dilate, and our heart rate increases,”
Meredith Grey, the show’s titular character, narrated. “But when the
temperature starts to inch above 100 degrees, our bodies have to work
overtime, leading to heat exhaustion. We become nauseated, dizzy and
confused.”

The upcoming Apple TV+ anthology drama Extrapolations, starring Meryl
Streep, Edward Norton and Marion Cotillard, is billed as an exploration
of “how the upcoming changes to our planet will affect love, faith, work
and family on a personal and human scale”.

Hulu’s Indigenous American teen comedy-drama Reservation Dogs features
Dallas Goldtooth, an advocate with the Indigenous Environmental Network,
and includes references to the Land Back Indigenous sovereignty
movement, which is part of a wider climate justice movement.

On ABC’s Abbott Elementary, Principal Ava complains about a “February
hotter than the devil’s booty”, to which a colleague replies: “Climate
change. We are living in the middle of its disastrous effects.”

“[The climate crisis] is such a part of our global and individual
experience, and that’s only going to become more so in the next decade,”
Joyner said. “Eventually it’s going to be an intentional creative choice
to not include mentions of climate change, and stories will feel
outdated if they don’t acknowledge this is part of our world now.”

Research shows that people tend to underestimate how much others care
about climate change – they think they care more than their neighbors or
family members. While 70% of American adults say they are “concerned or
alarmed” about the climate crisis, they’re not talking about it – only
about one-third reported discussing the topic with their friends or family.

That creates a sense of isolation and anxiety, Joyner said. “Television
and film can do a lot to assuage that because it validates the
audience’s own experiences and feelings.”

That means that climate storylines can be comedic, absurdist or
dramatic. In fact, Joyner said she finds doom and apocalypse plotlines
to be limiting. “People need more stories about the future we do want,”
she said.

Showing that the climate crisis is real, and happening now, can
galvanize audiences to act, said Max Boykoff, a researcher at the
University of Colorado Boulder who studies climate change communication.
“Even in the last few years, we’ve been seeing this more and more – not
just futuristic portrayals that are talking about climate change, but
showing where we live and what’s going on right now,” he said. “This
isn’t just about sacrifice. This can be about innovation, it can be
about opportunity, it can be about actually having fun.”

Victor Quinaz, a writer and producer on Netflix’s Big Mouth and Glow,
said it was not always easy to bring up the climate crisis in a pitch
meeting. “I don’t think I would ever go into a room and pitch, ‘this is
about climate change,’” he said. “That is such a pitch-killer. I think
we have to be far more subtle about the storytelling.”

On Big Mouth, Quinaz said his team consulted neuroscientists,
psychiatrists and other experts to understand what kids were feeling
during puberty – and one predominant emotion was anxiety. Climate
anxiety is a major stressor among young people and something Quinaz
weaves into storylines: in one episode, Andrew Glouberman’s family
visits Florida, when a giant sinkhole opens up and devours the west
coast of the state...
Quinaz is currently developing a show with Jenji Kohan (Weeds, Orange is
the New Black) based on his experiences as a disaster relief volunteer.
“For me, the story wasn’t about climate change, it was about how we help
people in this time period, and the anxiety of living through this
time,” he said.

Dorothy Fortenberry, a writer and producer on Extrapolations, said she
sees more interest in climate plot lines in Hollywood. “Just in the last
five years, I’ve been a part of many more conversations about how to
bring an awareness of the complexity of climate change to the show they
already want to write,” she said. “People are asking: where’s the
climate part of that show?”

Fortenberry points to short climate mentions – in Shen Weng’s new
Netflix standup special, the comedian leans into a joke about climate
change and then moves on. “It doesn’t feel like pausing and doing a Very
Special Episode, it doesn’t feel like you leave the narrative world,”
she said. “It’s not like a 90s sitcom that suddenly needs to talk about
bulimia for 26 seconds.”

She hopes that climate stories will be ubiquitous – but also
multifaceted. “If all the climate stories are the same, and the same
type of view, it will be boring and bad,” said Fortenberry. “My hope is
every creative person takes this in the direction that is fruitful for
the narrative and we end up with a real panoply of narratives.”

This article originally appeared in Nexus Media News and was made
possible by a grant from the Open Society Foundations
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/oct/04/tv-shows-movies-climate-crisis

/[ well-prepared for hurricane - video ]/
*How This Solar Town Survived Hurricane Ian Shows the Promise of a Green
Energy Future*
The Babcock Ranch community near Ft Meyers shows building a resilient
and low-carbon America will save both money and lives. We need to start now.
THOM HARTMANN
October 4, 2022
- -
The tariffs were set so, for example, if the monthly payments on your
loan for your rooftop solar system were $100, the local utility would be
paying you (or reducing your normal electric bill) by around $100 a
month as that "feed in tariff."

The tariff payments would last until your loan was paid off: in effect,
you'd get the solar system, which will last for decades, for free.

What the utilities got out of it was immediate expansion of their
power-generating sources at no expense to them whatsoever. They didn't
have to build expensive new power plants: the nation's houses and office
buildings would provide that.

As more and more homes came online, the power that was then being
generated by nuclear plants would be replaced by electricity from the
"100,000 rooftops" and the extra expense to the utilities for the
feed-in tariffs would still cost less than building a new power plant,
be it nuclear or fossil fuel-powered.

Everybody wins economically, the government handles the risk by
backstopping the banks and utilities (and it's a minor expense for a
national government), and Germany gets off its growing nuclear power
addiction.

Scheer got the feed-in tariffs passed in 1999 as part of his 100,000
Rooftops program, followed by the German Renewable Energy Act of 2000.
It wasn't implemented as simply and elegantly as I've described here and
as he shared with me over lunch in Barcelona (politics intervened, of
course, leading to imports of Russian natural gas), but it got a long
way there.

Other countries around the world copied parts of his program, although
some of Germany's for-profit and regional utilities were committed to
sabotaging it and have had some successes in that effort since his
untimely death at age 66 in 2010.

And in most parts of the world—and most all of the USA—solar works even
better than in Germany, which is the cloudiest country in Europe and at
the same latitude as Calgary. The science proving this can work even
better in the US is both solid and irrefutable.

Today, as a result of Scheer's visionary leadership two decades ago,
over a million German homes have both solar panels and battery storage,
and the country is upgrading their system to a "smart grid" to handle it
all. There's an absolutely amazing collection of charts and graphs
explaining it all here.

Additionally, they were shutting down their last nuke (it's on hold
because of the Ukraine crisis), and beginning the process of phasing out
coal (although slowdowns on renewables are causing them to have to
default to natural gas in a few places).

As the MIT Technology Review notes: "The country avoided pumping about
74 million metric tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere in 2009.
The German environment ministry also touts a side benefit: nearly
300,000 new jobs in clean power."

Milton Friedman, the godfather of "disaster capitalism," was fond of
pointing out that most people and most countries would only consider
significant changes to the way they do things in the face of a crisis.

*We're there, now.*
Today's crises in Florida and Puerto Rico should kick-start an entirely
new generation of building codes and energy systems that can quickly go
nationwide.
Much of the work has already been done by California, which mandated in
2018 that most new construction must have solar rooftops starting in
2020 and recently updated and tightened their standards for 2022.
Building a resilient and low-carbon America will save both money and
lives. We need to start now.
Hurricane Ian was a big test for this community, where houses start at
around $250,000. Languell says the storm provided "proof of concept" for
the community's design. The developers of Babcock Ranch welcome
imitators, she adds. Communities elsewhere in the U.S. might benefit
from what has been learned here.

But there's still more to learn, Languell says.

"We don't want to brag by any stretch of the imagination, because you do
that, and the next thing you know, you get hit by a Category 5 and
something doesn't work as well," she says.
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/05/1126900340/florida-community-designed-weather-hurricane-ian-babcock-ranch-solar

/[ watch ice melt as you enter the building ]/
*🧊 Why is there a block of melting ice outside the #SainsburyCentre? *
🌎 Env Science students are using this block to think about energy
exchange and #climatechange, while it also acts as a thought-provoking
temporary installation at the Centre.
Pay it a visit before it's gone.
https://twitter.com/SainsburyCentre/status/1577665349893472261

/[  Ethics watch ]/
*Climate reparations may be ethical, but they aren’t the best fix,
climatologist says*
PUBLISHED TUE, OCT 4 2022
Natalie Tham
@NATALIETHAMCNBC
*KEY POINTS*
-- Calls for climate reparations for poorer countries hit hard by
climate change are growing louder after catastrophic floods in Pakistan.
But though they may be ethical, they aren’t the best solution to a
complex problem, one climatologist said.
-- ″[Climate reparations are] the ethical thing to do,” said Friederike
Otto of the University of Oxford, “but a more equitable world is much
better able to solve the complex crises we deal with. If all parts of
society are involved in decision-making, ultimately everyone will be
better off.”
-- She added that “the most important preparation” is for vulnerable
countries to invest in social security, health care and education.
- -
The U.N. representative urged rich countries to consider debt relief and
debt swaps as one of the tools to alleviate the financial costs incurred
by affected countries. “Countries with debts to countries impacted by
climate change can give relief on this debt in exchange for the
countries investing in climate adaptation actions,” he said.

Andrew King, a senior lecturer at the University of Melbourne, is
another proponent of climate reparations. It is “unfair” for nations who
have contributed little to the problems of climate change to bear the
brunt of its impact, he said...
- -
And climate disasters are likely to take place with greater frequency
across the world.

“Many tropical nations such as India are at increased risk of coastal
flooding,” said King. “These nations face risks from dangerous humid
heat that can be harmful to health,” he added, acknowledging that heat
waves across the globe have been increasing in intensity and frequency.
On top of that, extreme rainfall is on the rise and droughts have been
worsening, he said.

India’s average maximum temperature in March was the highest average
maximum in 122 years.

“There will be more Pakistans,” Ostby said. “There are already more
Pakistans.”

A better way forward?
Otto, however, said “the most important preparation” is for vulnerable
countries to invest in social security, health care and education.

While developed countries are partly responsible for climate change,
local authorities in vulnerable countries also have a responsibility to
provide proper planning and education on the appropriate responses to
early warnings to climate events, she said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/05/climate-reparations-ethical-but-not-best-fix-climatologist.html

/[  WION is produced in India ]/
*WION Climate Tracker: Climate change intensified Ian's downpour by 10%*
Oct 3, 2022  Hurricane Ian has left a massive trail of devastation in
Florida as well as the Carolinas. The storm has claimed more than 80
lives so far. The hurricane is expected to rise further.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoNhwtG_3ss

/[ Opinionista Rebecca Watson - video ]/
*How Corruption Leads to Conspiracy Theories*
  Oct 6, 2022
Rebecca Watson is the founder of the Skepchick Network, a collection of
sites focused on science and critical thinking. She has written for
outlets such as Slate, Popular Science, and the Committee for Skeptical
Inquiry. She's also the host of Quiz-o-tron, a rowdy, live quiz show
that pits scientists against comedians. Asteroid 153289 Rebeccawatson is
named after her (her real name being 153289).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibOEnk2cuc

/[ ice still melts the same way today as it did centuries ago ]/
*How glaciers melted 20,000 years ago may offer clues about climate
change's effects*
October 6, 2022
Becky Sullivan
During Earth's ice ages, much of North America and northern Europe were
covered in massive glaciers.

About 20,000 years ago, those ice sheets began to melt rapidly, and the
resulting water had to go somewhere — often, underneath the glaciers.
Over time, massive valleys formed underneath the ice to drain the water
away from the ice.

A new study about how glaciers melted after the last ice age could help
researchers better understand how today's ice sheets might respond to
extreme warmth as a result of climate change, the study's authors say.

The study, published this week in the journal Quaternary Science
Reviews, helped clarify how — and how quickly — those channels were formed.
"Our results show, for the first time, that the most important mechanism
is probably summer melting at the ice surface that makes its way to the
bed through cracks or chimneys-like conduits and then flows under the
pressure of the ice sheet to cut the channels," said Kelly Hogan, a
co-author and geophysicist at the British Antarctic Survey.

Researchers found thousands of valleys under the North Sea
By analyzing 3D seismic reflection data originally collected through
hazard assessments for oil and gas companies, researchers found
thousands of valleys across the North Sea. Those valleys, some of them
millions of years old, are now buried deep underneath the mud of the
seafloor...
Some of the channels were massive — as big as 90 miles across and three
miles wide ("several times larger than Loch Ness," the U.K.-based
research group noted).
What surprised the researchers the most, they said, was how quickly
those valleys formed. When ice melted rapidly, the water carved out the
valleys in hundreds of years — lightning speed, in geologic terms.

"This is an exciting discovery," said lead author James Kirkham, a
researcher with BAS and the University of Cambridge. "We know that these
spectacular valleys are carved out during the death throes of ice
sheets. By using a combination of state-of-the-art subsurface imaging
techniques and a computer model, we have learnt that tunnel valleys can
be eroded rapidly beneath ice sheets experiencing extreme warmth,"

The meltwater channels are traditionally thought to stabilize glacial
melt, and by extension sea level rise, by helping to buffer the collapse
of the ice sheets, researchers said.
The new findings could complicate that picture. But the fast rate at
which the channels formed means including them in present-day models
could help improve the accuracy of predictions about current ice sheet
melt, the authors added.

Today, only two major ice sheets remain: Greenland and Antarctica. The
rate at which they melt is likely to increase as the climate warms.

"The crucial question now is will this 'extra' meltwater flow in
channels cause our ice sheets to flow more quickly, or more slowly, into
the sea," Hogan said.
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/06/1127222126/glaciers-melt-climate-change-study

/[  Opinion, but it's still important to know about Greenwashing --  13
min video ] /
*Why Companies Need to Greenwash*
Feb 11, 2022  Greenwashing, explained. Access extended, ad-free OCC
content with CuriosityStream AND Nebula for $14.79 per year (26% off!)
https://curiositystream.com/occ

In this Our Changing Climate climate change video essay, I look at how
corporations use greenwashing to not only mask their polluting practices
but also change what change means. Specifically, I look at how
greenwashing is just another example of the resilience of capitalism.
Greenwashing allows companies and corporations like Fiji, Coke, and
Nestle to continue polluting and emitting. By telling its consumers that
they're doing good and then turning around and doing the exact opposite,
these big multinationals are able to protect their bottom line. In order
to greenwash, companies only have to throw a pittance at sustainability
projects and then just market their "green initiatives" heavily.
Greenwashing is an insidious tool of the capitalist class and is
crushing our ability to decipher what is actually making change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjZ54TFT2o

/[The news archive - looking back at Pump You Up ] /
/*October 7, 2003*/
October 7, 2003: Arnold Schwarzenegger succeeds Gray Davis as the
governor of California after a highly controversial "recall election."
Schwarzenegger--who had been demonized by talk radio host Rush Limbaugh
in the weeks prior to the election as not being a "real"
conservative--would become one of the very few prominent elected
Republican officials urging action on climate change.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?178547-2/california-recall-acceptance-consession

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*