[✔️] October 10, 2022 - Global Warming News - daily selection

Mon Oct 10 06:04:13 EDT 2022

/*October 10, 2022*/

/[ The global climate meeting will be held in Cairo, Egypt - in a
politically difficult time says Naomi Klein.  ]/
*FROM BLAH, BLAH, BLAH TO BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD*
Holding the COP27 Summit in Egypt’s Police State Creates a Moral Crisis
for the Climate Movement
Naomi Klein
October 7 2022,
NO ONE KNOWS what happened to the lost climate letter. All that is known
is this: Alaa Abd El Fattah, arguably Egypt’s highest profile political
prisoner, wrote it while on a hunger strike in his Cairo prison cell
last month. It was, he explained later, “about global warming because of
the news from Pakistan.” He was concerned about the epic floods that
displaced 33 million people at their peak, and what that cataclysm
foretold about climate hardships and paltry state responses to come.
A visionary technologist and searching intellectual, Abd El Fattah’s
first name — along with the hashtag #FreeAlaa — have become synonymous
with the 2011 pro-democracy revolution that turned Cairo’s Tahrir Square
into a surging sea of young people that ended the three-decade rule of
Egypt’s dictator Hosni Mubarak. Behind bars almost continuously for the
past decade, Alaa is able to send and receive letters once a week.
Earlier this year, a collection of his poetic and prophetic prison
writings was published as the widely celebrated book, “You Have Not Yet
Been Defeated.”
Alaa’s family and friends live for those weekly letters. Especially
since April 2, when he started a hunger strike, ingesting only water and
salt at first, and then just 100 calories a day (the body needs closer
to 2,000). Alaa’s strike is a protest against his outrageous
imprisonment for the crime of “spreading false news” — ostensibly
because he shared a Facebook post about the torture of another prisoner.
Everyone knows, however, that he is imprisoned to send a message to any
future young revolutionaries who get democratic dreams in their heads.
With his strike, Alaa is attempting to pressure his jailers to grant
important concessions, including access to the British consulate. Alaa’s
mother was born in England, so he was able to get British citizenship at
the end of last year. His jailers have so far refused, and so Alaa
continues to waste away. “He has become a skeleton with a lucid mind,”
his sister Mona Seif said recently.

The longer the hunger strike wears on, the more precious those weekly
letters become. For his family, they are nothing less than proof of
life. Yet on the week he wrote about climate breakdown, the letter never
made it to Alaa’s mother, a human rights defender and intellectual in
her own right, Laila Soueif. Perhaps, he speculated in a subsequent
correspondence to her, his jailer had “spilled his coffee over the
letter.” More likely, it was deemed to touch on forbidden “high
politics” — even though Alaa says he was careful not to so much as
mention the Egyptian government, or even “the upcoming conference.”

That last bit is important. It’s a reference to the fact that in less
than one month, beginning on November 6, Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh will
play host to this year’s United Nations climate summit, known as COP27,
just as other cities like Glasgow, Paris, and Durban have done in the
past. Tens of thousands of delegates — world leaders, ministers, envoys,
appointed bureaucrats, as well as climate activists, NGO observers, and
journalists — will descend on the beach resort city, their chests
bedecked in lanyards and color-coded badges.

Which is why that lost letter is significant. There is something
unbearably moving about the thought of Alaa — despite the decade of
indignities he and his family have suffered — sitting in his cell
thinking about our warming world. There he is, slowly starving, yet
still worrying about floods in Pakistan and extremism in India and
crashing currency in the U.K. and Lula’s presidential candidacy in
Brazil, all of which get a mention in his recent letters, shared with me
by his family.

There is also, frankly, something shaming about it, something that might
give pause to everyone headed to Sharm el-Sheikh. Because while Alaa
thinks about the world, it’s not at all clear that the world that is
about to arrive in Egypt for the climate summit is thinking much about
Alaa. Or about the estimated 60,000 other political prisoners behind
bars in Egypt where barbaric forms of torture reportedly take place on
an “assembly line.” Or about the Egyptian human rights and environmental
activists, as well as critical journalists and academics, who have been
harassed, spied on, and barred from travel as part of what Human Rights
Watch calls Egypt’s “general atmosphere of fear” and “relentless
crackdown on civil society.”

The Egyptian regime is eager to celebrate its official climate “youth
leaders,” holding them up as symbols of hope in the battle against
warming (many double-talking governments like to use young people as
climate props). But it’s hard not to think of the courageous youth
leaders of the Arab Spring, many of them now prematurely aged by over a
decade of state violence and harassment, systems that are lavishly
bankrolled by military aid from Western powers, particularly the U.S.
It’s almost as if those activists have just been substituted out for
newer, less troublesome models.

“I’m the ghost of spring past,” Alaa wrote about himself in 2019.

That ghost will haunt the coming summit, sending a chill through its
every high-minded word. The silent question it poses is stark: If
international solidarity is too weak to save Alaa — an iconic symbol of
a generation’s liberatory dreams — what hope do we have of saving a
habitable home?
https://theintercept.com/2022/10/07/egypt-cop27-climate-prisoners-alaa/

/[Disinformation debunker Potholer54 rips apart a new initiative from
professional climate denialists -- 20 min video ]/
*What the new “Climate Declaration” doesn't tell us (nudge nudge, wink
wink)*
Oct 8, 2022  (Sources are below.) To support this channel, please don't
send me money. I prefer people donate to a charity I support. It's
called Health in Harmony (see my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9-GR....)
SOURCES:
USGS info on volcanoes
https://www.usgs.gov/programs/VHP/volcanoes-can-affect-climate
My video "Are humans contributing only 3% of CO2 in the atmosphere?"
https://youtu.be/CcmCBetoR18
My video "The story of the Earth in 33 minutes" https://youtu.be/MQWJbLTyDlc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpUe41EbHvQ

- -

/[ Wikipedia history on the old trick of the Oregon initiative ]/
*The Global Warming Petition Project*, also known as the Oregon
Petition, is a group which urges the United States government to reject
the Kyoto Protocol of 1997 and similar policies. Their petition
challenges the scientific consensus on climate change...
- -
The petition was organized and circulated by Arthur B. Robinson,
president of the Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine (described as
"a small independent research group") in 1998, and again in 2007.
Frederick Seitz, then chairman of the George C. Marshall Institute,
wrote a supporting cover letter, signed as "Past President National
Academy of Sciences USA, President Emeritus Rockefeller University". "In
a highly unusual move, the National Academy held a press conference to
disclaim the mailing and distance itself from its former president."[7]

Robinson asserted in 2008 that the petition has over 31,000 signatories,
with 9,000 of these holding a PhD degree.[4] Most signatories with a PhD
hold their degree in engineering.[8] The 2009 report of the
Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC)—a group
that "disputes the reality of man-made climate change"[9]—lists 31,478
degreed signatories, including 9,029 with PhDs.[10] The list has been
criticized for its lack of verification, with pranksters successfully
submitting the names of Charles Darwin, a member of the Spice Girls and
characters from Star Wars, and getting them briefly included on the list.
[[
http://www.nipccreport.org/reports/2009/pdf/Appendix%204%20Petition.pdf ]]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Petition

/[ cough, cough, cough -- a 3-cough video report - only 8 mins ] /
*The Impact Of Air Pollution On Human Health - Secrets Revealed!*
Sep 8, 2022  Air Pollution Health

This video takes a deep dive into the vast array of impacts that #air
#pollution has on human #health, exploring how poor air quality affects
nearly every area of the human body from head to toe.

Research shows that air pollution is a major environmental risk factor
for a slew of diseases, from Alzheimer’s disease to lung cancer to
osteoporosis, and can significantly lower lifespan and quality of life.

Air pollution accounts for extensive damages to public health, as well
as vast economic losses due to healthcare costs and lost school and
workdays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Ojbx3WgBM

/[ "we're not able to stop a million-acre fire anymore" -- documentary
on set fires to prevent fires -- video 24 min ]/
*California: Fighting Fire with Fire I ARTE.tv Documentary*
129 views  Oct 8, 2022  As wildfires in California become more
widespread and fierce every year, the state fire department is adapting
its strategy: deliberately setting fire to sections of bush as they
fight fire with fire.

California: Fighting Fire with Fire I ARTE.tv Documentary
--  Available until  06/23/2025
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdrhK0kF9Rc

/[   Wonderful new video channel ]/
*Planet Proof*
Our mission is to inform and educate for global environmental action!

This channel is dedicated to researching and evaluating businesses,
brands, and products. If you are new to our channel, we encourage you to
subscribe to the channel to show your support and help us propagate
crucial public awareness. This system has to change! Let’s all move to
an eco-friendly world.
Want to work with Planet Proof?
Feel free to contact: planetproof100 at gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdtF58iBRQ2C3QPeKKzxwiA

- -

/[See what videos they offer -- each is excellent ]/
*Planet Proof - Videos*
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdtF58iBRQ2C3QPeKKzxwiA/videos

/[  future studies in the IPCC - called ICONICS ]/
*International Committee On New Integrated Climate change assessment
Scenarios*
lllllhttps://depts.washington.edu/iconics/
- -
*Recordings of past webinars:*
https://depts.washington.edu/iconics/events-2/webinars/
- -
*ICONICS Webinar 02 11 2021-Updating the socioeconomic projections of
the SSPs*
107 views  Nov 5, 2021  ICONICS Webinar from November 2, 2021 on
updating the socioeconomic projections of the SSPs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PZkKkbv3U

/[ Book -- //Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis
//]/
This book situates the climate crisis in a socioeconomic context,
showing, writes reviewer Chen, how events like big wildfires are
"important signifiers of an unfolding global calamity that urges the
public to challenge the status quo."
October 5, 2022 Sibo Chen  LSE REVIEW OF BOOKS
*Global Burning: Rising Antidemocracy and the Climate Crisis*
Eve Darian-Smith
Stanford University Press. 2022
ISBN: 9781503631083

In recent years, catastrophic wildfires, as evidenced by viral video
clips depicting burning forests, billowing smoke and evacuees, have
sparked growing public concern around the globe. What are the causes and
consequences of this environmental crisis and what can be done to
prevent it? These are the main subjects addressed in Eve Darian-Smith’s
Global Burning, a book that connects wildfires to the broader economic,
social and political issues underlying climate change. Through
theoretically grounded reflections on the intersections of wildfire,
climate change and capitalism, Darian-Smith emphasises how
out-of-control wildfires have become important signifiers of an
unfolding global calamity that urges the public to challenge the status quo.

The book’s theoretical framework is outlined in Chapter One, ‘Fire as
Omen’, which also introduces the cases examined in the following
chapters — namely, the wildfires in California, Australia and Brazil.
Wildfires are particularly violent and terrifying threats to people
because of their immediate danger, which contrasts sharply with the
‘slow violence’ of many other environmental disasters. The devastating
impacts of wildfires ‘underscore people’s vulnerabilities and total
dependence on others for water, shelter, and the basics of survival’ (3).
- -
Chapter Three, ‘Fire as Weapon’, discusses the rise of ‘free-market
authoritarianism’, which, as evidenced by the prevalence of right-wing
populist leaders, demonstrates how neoliberal capitalism and
antidemocratic practices go hand in hand. The analysis centres on three
common features shared by free-market authoritarian governments
worldwide: namely, ultranationalism; international isolationism; and
anti-environmentalism...
- -
Global Burning offers a timely examination of the economic, social and
political roots of wildfires. It is thought-provoking, especially
considering how ubiquitous extreme weather events have become. Even
though the book’s key messages can be found elsewhere (for example, in
Ending Fossil Fuels by Holly Jean Buck and Planet on Fire by Mathew
Lawrence and Laurie Laybourn-Langton), the concept of ‘thinking through
fire’ is of critical importance because it highlights how the status quo
of global capitalism is economically and socially unsustainable. While
some may criticise the absence of policy prescriptions or strategies for
wildfire prevention in the book, I believe this highlights the
inconvenient reality of climate change mitigation: there will be no
magic solution until the world collectively embraces a fundamental
rethinking of human-nature relations and life beyond capitalism.

Dr Sibo Chen is an Assistant Professor at Ryerson University's School of
Professional Communication. His research areas of interest include
energy-society relations, environmental communication, critical
discourse analysis, communication and identity, and instructional
communication.
https://portside.org/2022-10-05/global-burning-rising-antidemocracy-and-climate-crisis

/[The news archive - looking back, when Democrats and Republicans agreed ]/
/*October 10, 2009 */
October 10, 2009: In a New York Times opinion piece, Senators John Kerry
and Lindsey Graham express confidence that bipartisan climate-change
legislation will receive 60 votes in the Senate. Graham would later
disavow support for such legislation, setting the stage for its demise
in 2010.

    Opinion -- OP-ED CONTRIBUTORS
    *Yes We Can (Pass Climate Change Legislation)*
    By John Kerry and Lindsey Graham
    Oct. 10, 2009

    Washington

    CONVENTIONAL wisdom suggests that the prospect of Congress passing a
    comprehensive climate change bill soon is rapidly approaching zero.
    The divisions in our country on how to deal with climate change are
    deep. Many Democrats insist on tough new standards for curtailing
    the carbon emissions that cause global warming. Many Republicans
    remain concerned about the cost to Americans relative to the
    environmental benefit and are adamant about breaking our addiction
    to foreign sources of oil.

    However, we refuse to accept the argument that the United States
    cannot lead the world in addressing global climate change. We are
    also convinced that we have found both a framework for climate
    legislation to pass Congress and the blueprint for a clean-energy
    future that will revitalize our economy, protect current jobs and
    create new ones, safeguard our national security and reduce pollution.

    Our partnership represents a fresh attempt to find consensus that
    adheres to our core principles and leads to both a climate change
    solution and energy independence. It begins now, not months from now
    — with a road to 60 votes in the Senate.

    It’s true that we come from different parts of the country and
    represent different constituencies and that we supported different
    presidential candidates in 2008. We even have different accents. But
    we speak with one voice in saying that the best way to make America
    stronger is to work together to address an urgent crisis facing the
    world.

    This process requires honest give-and-take and genuine
    bipartisanship. In that spirit, we have come together to put forward
    proposals that address legitimate concerns among Democrats and
    Republicans and the other constituencies with stakes in this
    legislation. We’re looking for a new beginning, informed by the work
    of our colleagues and legislation that is already before Congress.

    First, we agree that climate change is real and threatens our
    economy and national security. That is why we are advocating
    aggressive reductions in our emissions of the carbon gases that
    cause climate change. We will minimize the impact on major emitters
    through a market-based system that will provide both flexibility and
    time for big polluters to come into compliance without hindering
    global competitiveness or driving more jobs overseas.

    Second, while we invest in renewable energy sources like wind and
    solar, we must also take advantage of nuclear power, our single
    largest contributor of emissions-free power. Nuclear power needs to
    be a core component of electricity generation if we are to meet our
    emission reduction targets. We need to jettison cumbersome
    regulations that have stalled the construction of nuclear plants in
    favor of a streamlined permit system that maintains vigorous
    safeguards while allowing utilities to secure financing for more
    plants. We must also do more to encourage serious investment in
    research and development to find solutions to our nuclear waste problem.

    Third, climate change legislation is an opportunity to get serious
    about breaking our dependence on foreign oil. For too long, we have
    ignored potential energy sources off our coasts and underground.
    Even as we increase renewable electricity generation, we must
    recognize that for the foreseeable future we will continue to burn
    fossil fuels. To meet our environmental goals, we must do this as
    cleanly as possible. The United States should aim to become the
    Saudi Arabia of clean coal. For this reason, we need to provide new
    financial incentives for companies that develop carbon capture and
    sequestration technology.

    In addition, we are committed to seeking compromise on additional
    onshore and offshore oil and gas exploration — work that was started
    by a bipartisan group in the Senate last Congress. Any exploration
    must be conducted in an environmentally sensitive manner and protect
    the rights and interests of our coastal states.

    Fourth, we cannot sacrifice another job to competitors overseas.
    China and India are among the many countries investing heavily in
    clean-energy technologies that will produce millions of jobs. There
    is no reason we should surrender our marketplace to countries that
    do not accept environmental standards. For this reason, we should
    consider a border tax on items produced in countries that avoid
    these standards. This is consistent with our obligations under the
    World Trade Organization and creates strong incentives for other
    countries to adopt tough environmental protections.

    Finally, we will develop a mechanism to protect businesses — and
    ultimately consumers — from increases in energy prices. The central
    element is the establishment of a floor and a ceiling for the cost
    of emission allowances. This will also safeguard important
    industries while they make the investments necessary to join the
    clean-energy era. We recognize there will be short-term transition
    costs associated with any climate change legislation, costs that can
    be eased. But we also believe strongly that the long-term gain will
    be enormous.

    Even climate change skeptics should recognize that reducing our
    dependence on foreign oil and increasing our energy efficiency
    strengthens our national security. Both of us served in the
    military. We know that sending nearly $800 million a day to
    sometimes-hostile oil-producing countries threatens our security. In
    the same way, many scientists warn that failing to reduce greenhouse
    gas emissions will lead to global instability and poverty that could
    put our nation at risk.

    Failure to act comes with another cost. If Congress does not pass
    legislation dealing with climate change, the administration will use
    the Environmental Protection Agency to impose new regulations.
    Imposed regulations are likely to be tougher and they certainly will
    not include the job protections and investment incentives we are
    proposing.

    The message to those who have stalled for years is clear: killing a
    Senate bill is not success; indeed, given the threat of agency
    regulation, those who have been content to make the legislative
    process grind to a halt would later come running to Congress in a
    panic to secure the kinds of incentives and investments we can pass
    today. Industry needs the certainty that comes with Congressional
    action.

    We are confident that a legitimate bipartisan effort can put America
    back in the lead again and can empower our negotiators to sit down
    at the table in Copenhagen in December and insist that the rest of
    the world join us in producing a new international agreement on
    global warming. That way, we will pass on to future generations a
    strong economy, a clean environment and an energy-independent nation.

    John Kerry is a Democratic senator from Massachusetts. Lindsey
    Graham is a Republican senator from South Carolina.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/opinion/11kerrygraham.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*