[✔️] September 9, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Sep 9 10:26:46 EDT 2022

/*September 9, 2022*/

/[ ////Yale program on Climate Communications ]/
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLE · Sep 7, 2022
*Experience with global warming is changing people’s minds about it*
By Matthew Ballew, Jennifer Marlon, Matthew Goldberg, Edward Maibach,
Seth Rosenthal, Emily Aiken and Anthony Leiserowitz
*Changing minds about global warming: vicarious experience predicts
self‑reported opinion change in the USA*

    *Abstract*
    Americans increasingly accept that global warming is happening and a
    serious threat. Using secondary data from national probability
    surveys of the US adult population and preregistered hypotheses, we
    explore how and why Americans self-report changing their minds about
    global warming. Common reasons included learning more about the
    issue, hearing or seeing the effects of global warming, and
    personally experiencing its effects. We tested these reasons, as
    well as additional factors known to influence global warming
    opinion, including perceptions of social norms, media attention, and
    exposure to extreme weather, to assess their relative strength in
    predicting self-reported opinion change. As expected, perceived
    experience with global warming—particularly vicarious experience or
    seeing/hearing others experience its effects—emerged as a top
    correlate, even while statistically controlling for perceptions of
    social norms and attention to partisan-leaning media like Fox News.
    Perceived personal experience was a stronger correlate of
    self-reported opinion change among Republicans, whereas learning
    more about global warming was a stronger correlate among Democrats.
    Also as expected, perceiving social norms supportive of climate
    action was associated with positive self-reported opinion change,
    particularly among Republicans. Further, attention to the Fox News
    Channel was associated with negative self-reported opinion change
    but only among Republicans. Although this research is exploratory
    and uses self-reported data, it suggests that personalizing and
    localizing the threat of climate change, and enhancing the norm that
    most people support action, may be important factors to investigate
    in future longitudinal research on public opinion change and
    communication strategies.

https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/experience-with-global-warming-is-changing-peoples-minds-about-it/

/[ I subscribe to this from Climate Central -- email-delivered alerts
for serious weather events  - sensible use of email - delivered when
needed to your specific region  ]/
*Realtime Climate provides free, timely alerts whenever climate-relevant
weather or other events occur in a locality.*

Each alert provides links to science-based analyses and
visualizations—including locality-specific, high-quality graphics—that
can help explain events in the context of climate change. The alerts
help journalists, meteorologists, NGOs, governments, businesses,
educators, and others identify and communicate climate linkages to their
audiences and stakeholders.

Alerts are emailed from Climate Central staff.
Depending on the topic, alerts may include local conditions or a
forecast, a related graphic, a key statistic or fact, and links to more
materials and deeper background...
- -
Because alerts are based on local conditions, they won’t be sent
regularly and they may be infrequent. Recipients may see multiple alerts
during extended events, Recipients can select the maximum frequency of
alerts they receive by setting or changing their user preferences.
- -
Alerts are sent when particular conditions occur or are forecast to
occur in the next few days. Examples include:

    Unusual heat (single day and multi-day)
    Heat Index
    Unusual Rainfall
    Coastal Flooding
    Air Quality
    Allergies
    Seasonal shifts (spring leaf-out, etc.)
    Ice/snow cover (Great Lakes)
    Cicadas
    High local or regional production of solar or wind energy
    More conditions will be added soon, including:
       Drought
       Wildfire
        and many more

https://www.climatecentral.org/realtime-climate

/[ Yale Report on global perceptions ]/
*International Public Opinion on Climate Change, 2022*
*Executive Summary*
This report describes climate change beliefs, attitudes, policy
preferences, and behaviors among Facebook users in 110 countries,
territories, and geographic groups (hereafter referred to as “areas”).
Overall, these 110 areas represent 192 countries and territories
worldwide. The survey was fielded in partnership with Data for Good at
Meta from March 25 – April 14, 2022. Among the key findings at the
global level:

*Climate Change Knowledge, Beliefs, and Engagement*

    -- Knowledge about climate change: Respondents in Finland (92%) and
    Hungary (90%) are the most likely to say they know “a lot” or “a
    moderate amount” about climate change. In contrast, respondents in
    Benin (34%), the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Nigeria, and
    Haiti (all 32%) are the most likely to say they have “never heard
    of” climate change.

    -- Climate change is happening: Respondents in Hungary (96%),
    Portugal (95%), and Costa Rica (94%) are the most likely to think
    climate change is happening, while respondents in Laos (67%), Haiti
    (67%), and Bangladesh (70%) are the least likely.

    -- Climate change is human-caused: Respondents in Spain (65%),
    Sweden (61%), and Taiwan (60%) are the most likely to think that
    climate change is mostly caused by human activities, while
    respondents in Indonesia (18%) and Yemen (21%) are the least likely.

    --Hearing about climate change in daily life: Respondents in Sweden
    and Germany (both 66%) are most likely to say that they hear about
    climate change in their daily life at least once a week, while
    respondents in Yemen (7%), Algeria, and Cambodia (both 9%) are least
    likely.

*Worry and Perceived Risks Regarding Climate Change*

    - - Worry about climate change: Respondents in Mexico (95%),
    Portugal, and Chile (both 93%) are the most likely to say they are
    either “very worried” or “somewhat worried” about climate change,
    while respondents from Yemen (32%) and Jordan (48%) are the least
    likely.

    - - Climate change will harm future generations: Respondents in
    Mexico (83%), Chile, Puerto Rico, and Costa Rica (all 80%) are the
    most likely to say that climate change will harm future generations
    “a great deal,” while respondents in Yemen (23%) are the least
    likely to say so.

    - - Climate change will be personally harmful: Respondents are the
    most likely to say that climate change will harm them personally “a
    great deal” in Malawi (62%) and Chile (61%), and the least likely to
    say so in Czechia (3%) and Norway (5%).

    - - Personal importance of climate change: Respondents in Angola and
    Zambia (both 86%) are the most likely to say that climate change is
    either “extremely” or “very” important to them personally, while
    respondents in Czechia and Yemen (both 26%) are the least likely to
    say so.

    - - Climate change is a threat in the next 20 years: Respondents in
    Malawi (93%), Portugal, and Mexico (both 92%) are most likely to
    think that climate change is either a “very serious” or “somewhat
    serious” threat to people in their country or territory over the
    next 20 years, while respondents in Yemen (42%) and Jordan (53%) are
    least likely to say so.*
    *

*Responsibility for Action on Climate Change*

    -- Who is responsible for reducing causes of climate change?
    Respondents in Romania, Uzbekistan, and Lebanon (all 50%) are the
    most likely to think that the government is most responsible for
    reducing the pollution that causes climate change. Respondents in El
    Salvador (52%), Zambia, and Panama (both 49%) are the most likely to
    think that individual people are most responsible, while respondents
    in Germany and  Mexico (both 43%) are the most likely to say that
    businesses are most responsible.

    --Climate change as a government priority: Respondents in Chile
    (91%), Mexico, and Puerto Rico (both 88%) are the most likely to say
    that climate change should be either a “very high” or “high”
    priority for their government, while respondents in Yemen (36%) and
    Kosovo (47%) are the least likely to say so.

    --National responsibility to reduce climate change: Respondents in
    Australia and Portugal (both 65%) are the most likely to think that
    their country or territory should reduce its pollution that causes
    climate change, regardless of what other countries do. In contrast,
    respondents in Bangladesh (14%) and Cambodia (15%) are least likely
    to think so.

*Energy and the Economy*

    - Perceived economic impacts of action to reduce climate change:
    Respondents in Malawi, Brazil, and Angola (all 77%) are the most
    likely to think action to reduce climate change will improve
    economic growth and provide new jobs, or it will have no effect on
    the economy and jobs. Respondents in Czechia (47%) and Japan (50%)
    are the least likely to think so.

    - Increasing use of renewable energy: Respondents in Hungary (91%),
    Portugal, and Spain (both 89%) are the most likely to say that their
    country or territory should either use “much more” or “somewhat
    more” renewable energy, while respondents in Indonesia (48%) and
    Tanzania (53%) are the least likely.

    - Decreasing use of fossil fuels: Respondents in Denmark (79%), the
    United Kingdom, and Sweden (both 72%) are the most likely to say
    that their country or territory should use either “much less” or
    “somewhat less” fossil fuels, while respondents in Cambodia (12%)
    and Mozambique (16%) are the least likely.

*Climate Activism*

    - Willingness to join an organized group for climate action:
    Respondents in Zambia (75%) and Malawi (74%) are the most likely to
    say that they are currently participating in, or “definitely” would
    join, an organized group working to convince leaders to take action
    to reduce climate change. Respondents in Finland (9%) and the
    Netherlands (10%) are the least likely.

https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/international-public-opinion-on-climate-change-2022/toc/2/

/[ Words with a Seer -- from The Poetry of Predicament - video
discussions - this a long duration ]/
*PETER NELSON 3 - 2022 - A few tips from a Seer about staying sane and
open in a chaotic world.*
Sep 2, 2022  This is our last conversation with Peter for 2022. I hope
to do a few more episodes with him early in 2023.

This conversation covered a lot of ground but stayed pretty close to the
topic of, What can a person do to stay open, aware, present, in the face
of a world that is constantly chaotic?

Peter also has a few recommendations for some inner learning and
psychological self-awareness that can give a sincere practitioner far
more access to clear Seeing.

I hope you are finding Peter's suggestions as useful as I am. I'm
including these conversations with a Seer because we live in a world of
unmitigated narcissism and constant chaos. I find Peter's suggestions
very strong for people from all walks of life... not just for people who
See the non-ordinary.

The Poetry of Predicament Podcast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THZqqb627gI

/[The news archive - looking back at warnings from Al Gore -- it is easy
to see why disinformation from the carbon fuel industry attacked Gore.
He had a willing audience here and let loose. Small clips of his longer
speech.]/
/*September 9, 2005*/

September 9, 2005: At the National Sierra Club Convention in San
Francisco, Al Gore declares:

"There are scientific warnings now of another onrushing catastrophe. We
were warned of an imminent attack by Al Qaeda; we didn't respond. We
were warned the levees would break in New Orleans; we didn't respond.
Now, the scientific community is warning us that the average hurricane
will continue to get stronger because of global warming. A scientist at
MIT has published a study well before this tragedy showing that since
the 1970s, hurricanes in both the Atlantic and the Pacific have
increased in duration, and in intensity, by about 50%. The newscasters
told us after Hurricane Katrina went over the southern tip of Florida
that there was a particular danger for the Gulf Coast of the hurricanes
becoming much stronger because it was passing over unusually warm waters
in the gulf. The waters in the gulf have been unusually warm. The oceans
generally have been getting warmer. And the pattern is exactly
consistent with what scientists have predicted for twenty years. Two
thousand scientists, in a hundred countries, engaged in the most
elaborate, well organized scientific collaboration in the history of
humankind, have produced long-since a consensus that we will face a
string of terrible catastrophes unless we act to prepare ourselves and
deal with the underlying causes of global warming. It is important to
learn the lessons of what happens when scientific evidence and clear
authoritative warnings are ignored in order to induce our leaders not to
do it again and not to ignore the scientists again and not to leave us
unprotected in the face of those threats that are facing us right now.". ..

- -

My friends, the truth is that our circumstances are not only new; they
are completely different than they have ever been in all of human
history. The relationship between humankind and the earth has been
utterly transformed in the last hundred years. We have quadrupled the
population of our planet. The population in many ways is a success
story. The demographic transition has been occurring more quickly than
was hoped for, but the reality of our new relationship with the planet
brings with it a moral responsibility to accept our new circumstances
and to deal with the consequences of the relationship we have with this
planet. And it's not just population. By any means, the power of the
technologies now at our disposal vastly magnifies the average impact
that individuals can have on the natural world. Multiply that by six and
a half billion people, and then stir into that toxic mixture a mindset
and an attitude that says its okay to ignore scientific evidence - that
we don't have to take responsibility for the future consequences of
present actions - and you get a collision between our civilization and
the earth. The refugees that we have seen - I don't like that word when
applied to American citizens in our own country, but the refugees that
we have seen could well be the first sip of that bitter cup because
sea-level rise in countries around the world will mobilize millions of
environmental refugees. The other problems are known to you, but here is
what I want to close with:

This is a moral moment. This is not ultimately about any scientific
debate or political dialogue. Ultimately it is about who we are as human
beings. It is about our capacity to transcend our own limitations. To
rise to this new occasion. To see with our hearts, as well as our heads,
the unprecedented response that is now called for. To disenthrall
ourselves, to shed the illusions that have been our accomplices in
ignoring the warnings that were clearly given, and hearing the ones that
are clearly given now.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050924210135/http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0912-32.htm

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*