[✔️] September 8, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Thu Sep 8 07:46:48 EDT 2022

/*September 8, 2022*/

/[ top Politico concept ]/
*Brutal summer pushes climate closer to political tipping point*
Floods, drought, heat and fire could change the politics of global warming.
"There is a dawning awareness in the global public mind," said Anthony
Leiserowitz, director of the Yale Program on Climate Change
Communication. Asked if this might bend political effort toward faster
efforts to fight climate change, he said: "The answer is more yes than
no."...
- -
In the U.S., climate change is an extremely polarized political issue.
Lawmakers are swayed not only by the public but by "campaign
contributions" and "political ideology," said Leiserowitz. Republican
voters are far less likely than Democrats to recognize any link between
weather and fossil fuel pollution....
- -
“Distant in time — that we won't see really terrible consequences until
a generation from now. Or distant in space — that this is about polar
bears, or some developing countries. But not my country, not my city,
not my neighborhood, not my friends, not my family, and not me."

That may now be changing. Last year, the Yale group published a landmark
study that identified a link between hot, dry days and Americans’ sense
that climate change was affecting their lives...
- -
China's state media has portrayed the negative impacts of climate change
as unrelated natural disasters, but policymakers in Beijing know climate
change is a threat to the precious economic growth that justifies their
tight grip on power...
"Even without public discourse, or awareness about how heat waves are
linked to climate change … there could still be policy change,” said
Byford Tsang, a senior policy adviser and China expert at the E3G think
tank. “Stability of food supplies and healthy economic growth are [the
Chinese government's] pillars of power."
https://www.politico.eu/article/brutal-summer-climate-change-political-tipping-point/

- -

[  Yale program on Climate Communications ]
*International Public Opinion on Climate Change, 2022*
https://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/international-public-opinion-on-climate-change-2022/toc/2/

/[  PBS Terra --  video simple explantions "some of this already
happening" ]/
*What Will Earth Look Like When These 6 Tipping Points Hit?*
Sep 6, 2022  PBS ...

A “tipping point” is when a system, with just a small amount of
additional energy, is pushed from one stable state to another suddenly
and dramatically. This can be a chair falling backwards. Or it can be a
major earth system collapsing.

The IPCC recently identified 15 potential climate-related tipping points
that scientists have grown increasingly worried we are getting close to
crossing due to global warming. In this episode of Weathered, we look at
6 of the major candidates, how they are all interconnected and influence
each other, and what it would mean if they were triggered. These tipping
points or tipping elements are the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets,
the Amazon rainforest, global monsoons, the AMOC (Atlantic Meridional
Overturning Circulation) and the earth’s permafrost and coral reefs.

The consequences for any of these systems being pushed over the edge
would be truly catastrophic and would encompass everything from massive
droughts, loss of biodiversity, increased flooding, heat waves, large
scale climate migration, food shortages, and much more.

Weathered is a show hosted by weather expert Maiya May and produced by
Balance Media that helps explain the most common natural disasters, what
causes them, how they’re changing, and what we can do to prepare./
/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBKZWKeKYqE

/[  faster melting of one of the tipping points  ]/
*For first time on record, Greenland saw extensive melting in September*
Greenland just experienced its largest September melt event on record,
the kind typically seen in the middle of summer
By Kasha Patel and Chris Mooney
September 6, 2022
In Greenland, it’s feeling more like July than September.

After a fairly cold and wet summer in Greenland, an unusually late heat
wave last weekend caused extensive melting across the ice sheet — the
kind of melt typically seen in the middle of summer. Researchers say
it’s the largest melt event to occur in September, according to data
sets spanning nearly four decades...
- -
Between Friday and Monday, several weather stations recorded their
maximum air temperature for the entire year. Parts of western Greenland
rose as high as 36 degrees Fahrenheit (20 degrees Celsius) above normal
for this time of the year. The summit, traditionally the coldest part of
the ice sheet, even rose above the melting point Saturday according to
NOAA observations at the National Science Foundation’s Summit Station...
- -
Greenland is already the largest contributor to rising sea levels,
outpacing the Antarctic ice sheet and mountain glaciers. Melt rates have
increased over the ice sheet in the past two decades as the Arctic warms
faster than the rest of the world. New research suggests that the ice
sheet will lose about 3 percent of its current mass — a volume equal to
just under a foot of sea-level rise — even if the world stopped emitting
greenhouse gases today...
- -
This marks the second year in a row that an unusually late heat wave
swept over the ice sheet. On Aug. 14, 2021, temperatures rose 18 degrees
Celsius above average and caused it to rain at the summit of the ice
sheet, some two miles above sea level, for the first time on record. At
the time, researchers said it was the largest melt event to occur so
late in the year.
- -
Meanwhile, abnormally warm temperatures and cloudy conditions continued
over Greenland on Tuesday. Temperatures have recently been slightly
warmer than 28.4 degrees Fahrenheit (minus-2 degrees Celsius) at the
summit, while average temperatures elsewhere in the high Arctic are
rapidly falling below freezing.

“The same basic weather flow is happening for an absolutely astonishing
fourth day in a row,” said Christopher Shuman, a research scientist at
the University of Maryland Baltimore County and NASA.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/09/06/greenland-ice-melt-heat-wave-summer/

/[  Twitter opinion -- Burning Man CO2 emissions may not be calculated  ]/
John Elliott
I don’t want to be a party poop, but…maybe we just shouldn’t have
Burning Man in a climate emergency? Would be interesting for someone who
knows stuff to calculate the total carbon footprint of this event.
https://twitter.com/thehereafter/status/1567138932856324096

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 8, 2003*/
September 8, 2003: The EPA denies a petition by the International
Center for Technology Assessment to regulate greenhouse gas emissions
under the Clean Air Act, setting off a four-year legal battle that
culminates in the Supreme Court's Massachusetts v. EPA ruling.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/FR-2003-09-08/03-22764/content-detail.html

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*