[✔️] September 18, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Sun Sep 18 09:58:28 EDT 2022

/*September 18, 2022*/

/[ "Faster than forecast" is an emerging phrase ]/
*DR LEVKE CAESAR: THE AMOC - IS A SHUT DOWN FASTER THAN MODELS FORECAST?*
Sept 17, 2022  In this ClimateGenn episode, I am speaking to Dr Levke
Caesar about the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation, or AMOC,
about what would happen if this vital piece of the climate system either
slowed dramatically or even shut down altogether.

Although climate models indicate this as low-risk, to date the models
have been poor anticipators of the speed of localised climate changes.
Levke gives an insightful and sincere perspective on the importance of
the AMOC as a critical piece of the climate system jigsaw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOpBg_IMKyU

/[  academic paper says what we already know ]/
*Changing minds about global warming: vicarious experience predicts
self‑reported opinion change i**n the USA *
Anthony Leiserowitz, et al

    Abstract
    Americans increasingly accept that global warming is happening and a
    serious threat. Using secondary data from national probability
    surveys of the US adult population and preregistered hypotheses, we
    explore how and why Americans self-report changing their minds about
    global warming. Common reasons included learning more about the
    issue, hearing or seeing the effects of global warming, and
    personally experiencing its effects. We tested these reasons, as
    well as additional factors known to influence global warming
    opinion, including perceptions of social norms, media attention, and
    exposure to extreme weather, to assess their relative strength in
    predicting self-reported opinion change. As expected, perceived
    experience with global warming—particularly vicarious experience or
    seeing/hearing others experience its effects—emerged as a top
    correlate, even while statistically controlling for perceptions of
    social norms and attention to partisan-leaning media like Fox News.
    Perceived personal experience was a stronger correlate of
    self-reported opinion change among Republicans, whereas learning
    more about global warming was a stronger correlate among Democrats.
    Also as expected, perceiving social norms supportive of climate
    action was associated with positive self-reported opinion change,
    particularly among Republicans. Further, attention to the Fox News
    Channel was associated with nega-tive self-reported opinion change
    but only among Republicans. Although this research is exploratory
    and uses self-reported data, it suggests that personalizing and
    localizing the threat of climate change, and enhancing the norm that
    most people support action, may be important factors to investigate
    in future longitudinal research on public opinion change and
    communication strategies.

https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s10584-022-03397-w?sharing_token=IbaWYSEPEut3WCW3uRO5ffe4RwlQNchNByi7wbcMAY75yQTGRgAjCqFWO_nH-gOcspTSv8REOlksp0NNxOb1ffj57YY8bnN_SKXtSEtd2TRN0PN4ueRGTQh-SsiNoB_we9pkFV1tFWaY86vODtMPi24YZKzqiHqW5exTCNo5BeM=

/[ a contentious moment in a Congressional hearing - video from Rep Clay
Higgens ]/
*This is what Democrats support – total and immediate elimination of
American oil and gas production. *Watch my exchange with an unhinged
climate activist from today’s
@GOPoversight
  Committee hearing.
https://twitter.com/RepClayHiggins/status/1570475227708104707?

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 18, 2013*/
September 18, 2013: The House Energy and Power Subcommittee holds a
hearing on the Obama administration's climate-change efforts, featuring
testimony from EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy and Energy Secretary
Ernest Moniz.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/moniz-mccarthy-fight-off-climate-change-deniers-at-house-hearing/

http://youtu.be/TEVQb8toc5M

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*