[✔️] September 19, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Mon Sep 19 08:01:52 EDT 2022

/*September 19, 2022*/

/[ _Just Have a Think _-- video summary of recent ice science studies 13
mins ] /
*Arctic System Collapse? Devastating new research.*
52,054 views  Sep 18, 2022  The arctic region is a key driver of global
climate patterns. In the summer of 2022, three peer reviewed research
papers were published, all of which showed the systems that have kept
the arctic stable for thousands of years are now collapsing far more
quickly than previous analysis and modelling had suggested. A fourth
paper, published at the same time, shows us what the consequences are
likely to be. This video assesses all four.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqRdu2riNlg

- -

/[ wonderful lessons of paleo-cryology - Snowball Earth - video lecture ]/
*Why Did The Earth Totally Freeze For 100 Million Years?*
480,652 views  Aug 31, 2022  Go to
https://curiositystream.thld.co/histo... and use code HISTORY OF THE
EARTH  Thanks to Curiosity Stream for sponsoring today’s video.
Researched and Written by Leila Battison
Narrated and Edited by David Kelly
Thumbnail Art and Art by Ettore Mazza
Snowball Earth image by Oleg Kuznetsov - 3depix - http://3depix.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntVVcazJD4

/[ an old and classic TED Radio Hour - audio 50 min }/
*Changing Our Minds (2021)*
Original broadcast date: Friday, December 3, 2021. Admitting we're wrong
is painful--even seen as a sign of weakness. But what if we take a more
flexible approach? This hour: how rethinking ideas can be good for our
brains and our relationships. Guests include former GOP congressman Bob
Inglis, organizational psychologist Adam Grant, and civil rights
activist Loretta J. Ross.
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5ucHIub3JnLzUxMDI5OC9wb2RjYXN0LnhtbA?sa=X&ved=0CAIQ4aUDahcKEwiY_cOQwp_6AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAQ&hl=en

/[ please remember my YouTube playlist of the music for a warming globe ]/
*Collected Music for Global Warming Anthropocene and changing climate -
playlist*
145 videos Last updated on May 14, 2022
Search for an Anthem for Global Warming - offering this collection of
musical anthems and political and cultural song about our changing
future.  This is the Anthropocene - the era where humans have left their
mark on the world.   We have a huge mess now, and worse problems for our
future.   We have dire science, and now we are on a path of tremendous
self-discovery, why are we so willing to tolerate such self harm?   We
now bring relentless attention to adapting to our mess and figuring out
how to mitigate harm.

Every struggle has its own music - a body of heroic songs, stirring
marches,  and anthems.  Even a dirge or two.
Richard Pauli
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU5dY2n3AbGHCgJ9OiDxG5hjY9QYAkQ55

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 19, 2015*/
September 19, 2015:

In a New York Times op-ed, Noah S. Diffenbaugh, an associate professor
of earth system science at Stanford University, and Christopher B.
Field, a director of the department of global ecology at the Carnegie
Institution for Science, observe:

"As wildfires rage, crops are abandoned, wells run dry and cities work
to meet mandatory water cuts, drought-weary Californians are counting on
a savior in the tropical ocean: El Niño.

"This warming of the tropical Pacific occurs about every five years,
affecting climate around the globe and bringing heavy winter
precipitation to parts of California. The state experienced two of its
wettest years during two of the strongest El Niños, in 1982-83 and 1997-98.

"Now climatologists have confirmed that a powerful El Niño is building,
and forecasts suggest a high likelihood that El Niño conditions will
persist through the next several months. So we in California expect a
rainy winter.

"But before everyone gets too excited, it is important to understand
this: Two physical realities virtually ensure that Californians will
still face drought, regardless of how this El Niño unfolds.

"The first is that California has missed at least a year’s worth of
precipitation, meaning that it would take an extraordinarily wet rainy
season to single-handedly break the drought. Even if that happened, we
would most likely suffer from too much water too fast, as occurred in
the early 1980s and late 1990s, when El Niño delivered more rainfall
than aquifers could absorb and reservoirs could store.

"The second is that California is facing a new climate reality, in which
extreme drought is more likely. The state’s water rights, infrastructure
and management were designed for an old climate, one that no longer exists.

"Our research has shown that global warming has doubled the odds of the
warm, dry conditions that are intensifying and prolonging this drought,
which now holds records not only for lowest precipitation and highest
temperature, but also for the lowest spring snowpack in the Sierra
Nevada in at least 500 years. These changing odds make it much more
likely that similar conditions will occur again, exacerbating other
stresses on agriculture, ecosystems and people."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/opinion/a-wet-winter-wont-save-california.html?ref=opinion

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*