[✔️] September 22, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Thu Sep 22 03:58:33 EDT 2022

/*September 22, 2022*/

/[ Thanks JCN for forwarding this great piece of positive action ] /
*The Single Best Guide to Decarbonization I’ve Heard*
The Ezra Klein Show
Sept. 20, 2022
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/20/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-jesse-jenkins.html
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ezra-klein-show/id1548604447?i=1000580040753

/[ Audio..] /Produced by ‘The Ezra Klein Show’

In August, Joe Biden signed into law the Inflation Reduction Act, which
included $392 billion towards a new climate budget — the single largest
investment in emissions reduction in U.S. history. The CHIPS and Science
Act and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act bring that number up to around
$450 billion. All of that spending is designed with one major objective
in mind: to put the United States on a path to a decarbonized economy,
with the goal of reaching net zero emissions by 2050.

Achieving that goal is perhaps the single most important challenge of
our age. And so I wanted to dedicate a full episode to it. How big is
the task of decarbonizing the U.S. economy? What do we actually need to
do to get there? How does the I.R.A. help do that? And what are the
biggest obstacles still standing in our way?

[You can listen to this episode of “The Ezra Klein Show” on Apple,
Spotify, Amazon Music, Google or wherever you get your podcasts.]

Jesse Jenkins is an assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace
engineering at Princeton University and leads the Princeton ZERO Lab. He
was a lead author of the Net Zero America report, the most comprehensive
attempt to map out the different pathways to decarbonization I’ve seen.
He also leads the REPEAT Project, which has done some of the most
in-depth modeling of how the Inflation Reduction Act and other climate
policies could affect emissions.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/20/opinion/ezra-klein-podcast-jesse-jenkins.html/
/0rhttps://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ezra-klein-show/id1548604447?i=1000580040753/
/

/- -/

/[be sure to include this most-important book - available as a free PDF ]/
//*Overshoot the Ecological Basis of Revolutionary Change*
Book by William R. Catton Jr.

    Despite its maturity, *_Overshoot_ *remains a vividly fresh and
    visionary work of brilliance and foresight. The ecological
    foundations of Catton's thinking are strong and enduring due to his
    careful research and interpretive power. His treatise explains much
    about the human condition that we find ourselves in now, early in
    the 21st century. In a breathtaking yet concise sweep of history and
    biology through the eyes of a human ecologist, Catton reveals how we
    got here and where we are in all probability headed. He summarizes
    this view as follows:

        Today mankind is locked into stealing ravenously from the future
        [by way of] diachronic competition, a relationship whereby
        contemporary well-being is achieved at the expense of our
        descendants. By our sheer numbers, by the state of our
        technological development, and by being oblivious to differences
        between a method that achieved lasting increments of human
        carrying capacity [agriculture] and one that achieves only
        temporary supplements [reliance on fossil fuels and other mined
        substances], we have made satisfaction of today's human
        aspirations dependent upon massive deprivation for posterity.

    In a series of essay-like chapters, he explains how the inhabitants
    of modern civilization (homo colossus, he calls us, due to our
    prodigious use of energy, raw materials, and mechanical/prosthetic
    amplification devices) are living more and more luxuriously but,
    ironically, more and more dependently on the limited and
    nonrenewable resources and energy we have unearthed from the
    geologic past. The result, he says, is a mortgaging of our and our
    descendants' future.

https://www.google.com/search?q=overshoot+the+ecological+basis+of+revolutionary+change

- -

/[ From PBS - a clear presentation on climate fundamentals - a 30 min
video ]/
*The Biggest Myth About Climate Change*
199,186 views  Sep 15, 2022
You’ve seen it in the comment section before: “Climate change is
natural. It’s happened before and it will keep happening”. In reality,
comments like these are the newest kind of climate change denial. In
this video we’re going to learn about all the reasons that Earth’s
climate changes, natural and otherwise, and then how we know that modern
climate change can’t be blamed on natural forces. Maybe we can finally
put this biggest myth about climate change in the trash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6bVBH9y5O8

/[ Tipping Point is not a place in China -- this message reminds us of
our looming deadline ]/
*The scariest climate science paper I've ever read?*
88,498 views  Sep 19, 2022  Learn more about how the natural world works
with Brilliant: https://www.brilliant.org/simonclark

This month a paper came out that honestly chilled me. It was about
tipping points in climate - a well-known concept that the climate can
change abruptly if certain conditions are met in certain elements of the
climate system, such as excess melting of the Greenland ice sheet. That
wasn't new. What was new was the threshold these tipping elements could
flip - according to this research, we could be triggering some tipping
elements already - and if we warm the planet by just 1.5°C then we are
likely to do so.

The climate is still within our control. But if we keep emitting as we
are, that isn't always going to be the case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxoyaCSWFGs

- -

/[ Here is the classic paper from 2008 ]/
*Tipping elements in the Earth's climate system*
Timothy M. Lenton
Hermann Held,
Elmar Kriegler,
Jim W. Hall,
Wolfgang Lucht,
Stefan Rahmstorf,
Hans Joachim Schellnhuber
Edited by William C. Clark, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, and
approved November 21, 2007
February 12, 2008
https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0705414105

    *Abstract*
    The term “tipping point” commonly refers to a critical threshold at
    which a tiny perturbation can qualitatively alter the state or
    development of a system. Here we introduce the term “tipping
    element” to describe large-scale components of the Earth system that
    may pass a tipping point. We critically evaluate potential
    policy-relevant tipping elements in the climate system under
    anthropogenic forcing, drawing on the pertinent literature and a
    recent international workshop to compile a short list, and we assess
    where their tipping points lie. An expert elicitation is used to
    help rank their sensitivity to global warming and the uncertainty
    about the underlying physical mechanisms. Then we explain how, in
    principle, early warning systems could be established to detect the
    proximity of some tipping points.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/full/10.1073/pnas.0705414105

/[ Reuters reports from yesterday ]/
*Al Gore sees the world at 'tipping point' for climate action*
- Surging power prices pushing governments to decarbonise
- Gore cites greater action in the United States and Australia
- Says he is optimistic on further action in Brazil, China
https://www.reuters.com/world/al-gore-sees-world-tipping-point-climate-action-2022-09-20/

- -

/[ Bloomberg reports  ]/
*Gore Says Weather Crisis Is Like ‘Hike Through Book of Revelation’*
Climate change has gotten worse and worse every year over the past
decade, according to the former US vice president.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-20/gore-says-weather-crisis-is-like-hike-through-book-of-revelation

/[ Wisdom of Two Curmudgeons - apocalypse means coming to a brutal
understanding - harsh reality but finding grief and positivism --
increasing capacity for joy -- or so he claims ]/
*Robert Jensen: "There is Suffering Ahead, and We Need to Learn How to
Start Suffering Together"*
2,788 views /Sep 1, 2022  NOTE: My name is Sam Mitchell, not Jeremy
Jimenez, but I would like to thank Jeremy for letting me borrow his
computer and offering his technological assistance in making this video
possible./
In today's Chronicle of the Collapse, I have the great honor of bringing
back to the show retired professor of Journalism, Robert Jensen, to talk
about his brand new book (co-authored by Wes Jackson), titled, "An
Inconvenient Apocalypse: Environmental Collapse, Climate Crisis, and the
Fate of Humanity" (published by University of Notre Dame Press).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n24Xz4suwy8

- -

/[  more words from Robert Jensen  - a few months ago]/
*ICSS 20220403 An Inconvenient Apocalypse Robert Jensen*
Apr 4, 2022
regarding the book "_An Inconvenient Apocalypse_"
https://icssmarx.org/an-inconvenient-apocalypse/

Robert Jensen will outline four key challenges facing humanity: size,
scale, scope, and speed. What is the sustainable size of the human
population? What is the appropriate scale of a human community? What is
the scope of human competence to manage our interventions into the
larger living world? At what speed must we move toward different living
arrangements if we are to avoid catastrophic consequences? The sooner we
face the realities of these challenges without unwarranted faith in
ideology or technology, the more likely we can create the conditions for
a soft landing for humanity. These ideas are drawn from the forthcoming
book that Jensen coauthored with Wes Jackson, An Inconvenient
Apocalypse: Environmental Collapse, Climate Crisis, and the Fate of
Humanity.

Robert Jensen, an Emeritus Professor in the School of Journalism and
Media at the University of Texas in Austin, collaborates with the New
Perennials Project. He is the coauthor with Wes Jackson of An
Inconvenient Apocalypse: Environmental Collapse, Climate Crisis, and the
Fate of Humanity, which will be published by the University of Notre
Dame Press in fall 2022. Other books are articles by Jensen are online
at https://robertwjensen.org/.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tJtIisMf2o

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 22, 2014*/
• The New York Times also reports:

    "John D. Rockefeller built a vast fortune on oil. Now his heirs are
    abandoning fossil fuels.

    "The family whose legendary wealth flowed from Standard Oil is
    planning to announce on Monday that its $860 million philanthropic
    organization, the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, is joining the divestment
    movement that began a couple years ago on college campuses.

    "The announcement, timed to precede Tuesday’s opening of the United
    Nations climate change summit meeting in New York City, is part of a
    broader and accelerating initiative.

    "In recent years, 180 institutions — including philanthropies,
    religious organizations, pension funds and local governments — as well
    as hundreds of wealthy individual investors have pledged to sell
    assets tied to fossil fuel companies from their portfolios and to
    invest in cleaner alternatives. In all, the groups have pledged to
    divest assets worth more than $50 billion from portfolios, and the
    individuals more than $1 billion, according to Arabella Advisors, a
    firm that consults with philanthropists and investors to use their
    resources to achieve social goals."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/us/heirs-to-an-oil-fortune-join-the-divestment-drive.html?smid=nytcore-iphone-share&smprod=nytcore-iphone

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/big-oils-heirs-join-call-for-action-as-climate-summit-opens/2014/09/21/ab27b1ce-40ea-11e4-b0ea-8141703bbf6f_story.html?tid=HP_more

http://www.msnbc.com/now/watch/sounding-the-alarm-on-climate-change-332140099937#

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-rockefellers--huge-climate-announcement-332248643972

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*