[✔️] September 30, 2022 - Global Warming News Digest

Fri Sep 30 08:00:03 EDT 2022

/*September 30, 2022*/

/[  Naomi Oreskes ] /
*There’s a simple reason  Florida has  “never seen a flood event like
this.” We have never had this much global warming before. Sometimes the
simple explanation is the best explanation. ⁦*
@GernotWagner
⁩ ⁦@MichaelEMann
https://twitter.com/NaomiOreskes/status/1575792268249899008

/[  Samples from Climate literacy on Coursera --superb lectures produced
in 2014 --  ( Vancouver, BC ) ]/
*- -*
*7.0 Human Dimensions Introduction*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB6aOcbJoH4
- -
*7.1 Introduction to Climate Change Impacts, Vulnerability, and Resilience*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pSoQXgnn5s
- -
*9.2 Adaptation Strategies*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTC11TeW4bU
- -
Recommending this free, full-set of videos at Climate Literacy
https://www.youtube.com/user/climateliteracy/videos

/[  VOX reports on where Western water goes -- 5 min video tells how 32%
of water devoted to alfalfa and beef  ]/
*Who's really using up the water in the American West?*
Sep 26, 2022  Hint: water scarcity in the Western US has more to do with
our diets than our lawns...
- -
The Western United States is currently battling the most severe drought
in thousands of years. A mix of bad water management policies and
manmade climate change has created a situation where water supplies in
Western reservoirs are so low, states are being forced to cut their
water use.

It’s not hard to find media coverage that focuses on the excesses of
residential water use: long showers, swimming pools, lawn watering,
at-home car washes. Or in the business sector, like irrigating golf
courses or pumping water into hotel fountains in Las Vegas.

But when a team of researchers looked at water use in the West, they
uncovered a very different story about where most Western water goes.
Their findings may hold the solution to dwindling water supplies in the
West.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0gN1x6sVTc

/[ promising tech for water  - video presentation ]/
*INSANE Plan Fixes Flooding & Droughts at the Same Time!*
26,211 views  Sep 29, 2022  Floods to Drought: Check out the EcoFlow
DELTA 2 here: https://bit.ly/3xGcqns and https://amzn.to/3dUEpIT and use
code RBNUGZH7 for an extra 5% discount.
The EcoFlow Delta 2 is not just a battery. This is an essential home
appliance, great for outdoor or travel use.

With Hurricane Ian making landfall in Florida, our thoughts and prayers
are with the people of Florida... be safe, and best wishes.
I was recently thinking about floods and droughts, and how both are
getting more extreme, and I started to wonder, why don't we pump water
from areas prone to floods to areas prone to drought? What is the
hold-up, is it even possible, and how might it actually look? That's
what we're looking into today, so if you've had the same idea, sit back
and relax and let's dive in. INSANE Plan Fixes Flooding & Droughts at
the Same Time!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJLpAIcftfY

/[ History, future of UK coastline erosion and defenses - "National
Coastal Erosion Risk Mapping"  Video - 37 mins ]/
*Coastal Erosion Collapse: How is climate change impacting our
coastline? with CDS & Groundsure*
279 views  Apr 21, 2022  In our climate focused webinars this quarter,
we're going to look at what coastal erosion is, what causes it, and how
climate change increases the risk of coastal erosion in the UK. By the
end of the session, you'll have a greater appreciation of which areas
are exposed to coastal erosion, the coastal defence methods that are
being deployed in different parts of the country, and how risk is
represented within a report. Join CDS and Groundsure for the first of 3
climate change focused webinars this quarter.
4/20/2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl-xkFnClGs

/[ Introduces as hopeful and positive message - "I'm from the future, we
won!"   video discussion 1:22. ]/
*The Future is History | Jon Alexander*
Sep 29, 2022  Jon Alexander is the co-founder of the New Citizens
Project and author of Citizens: Why The Key To Fixing Everything Is All
Of Us. A former award-winner in the advertising world, Jon advises
companies and communities on the power of narrative, helping them
reclaim and restructure the stories they tell to in order to empower the
shift from consumer to citizen.

Jon joined me to discuss this very problem: How do we shift the paradigm
from consumer to citizen? Building on his book, he explains how how
human history has shifted from the subject paradigm, to consumer, and
the necessary move to a collective and community-based citizen world. He
gives riveting examples of this happening all around the world today,
revealing the power of the stories we choose to tell—and which we choose
to suppress.

We also discuss deliberative democracy, the theory of narrative, and the
framework of systems. Jon’s powerful message is: If you want to build a
new system, you must simply begin. We cannot know where we’re going
exactly, but we’ll never get there if we don’t start.

🔴 Discover Jon's work: https://www.jonalexander.net/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQakq-mAL-k

/[  DW documentary on media manipulation ]/
*Manipulating our emotions | DW Documentary*
  Sep 29, 2022  Advertising agencies, politicians and social networks
rely on emotions as a means of manipulation. They use our feelings to
try to influence our decisions.

Can we be manipulated without even noticing it? Can our attention and
thoughts be directed from outside? Increasingly, it appears that there
are mechanisms for playing on emotions to sway our minds - right at the
point of decision-making. In fact, this technique has now become a
subgenre of psychology.

Some of these recent findings are also being applied in what’s known as
"neuromarketing”. Test customers make their purchases while their brain
waves are measured and recorded. The method provides information about
buying behavior and suggests possibilities for boosting purchases
through advertising and presentation.

Indeed, the technical possibilities for manipulation are constantly
growing. Neuroscientific methods present many new possibilities, as well
as new dangers. Indeed, even more extreme work is being done when it
comes to the marketing of films and commercials. Here, market
researchers are working with neurologists to test the effectiveness of a
commercial in real time.

Political actors have also begun to influence public opinion in this
way. China is a pioneer of these sometimes questionable methods. There,
social control has long been part of the state mandate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4SIlJE0Qs0

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*September 30, 2004*/
September 30, 2004: In his first debate with President Bush, Democratic
challenger and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry incurs the wrath of the
right wing by declaring:

    "The president always has the right, and always has had the right,
    for preemptive strike. That was a great doctrine throughout the Cold
    War. And it was always one of the things we argued about with
    respect to arms control. No president, though all of American
    history, has ever ceded, and nor would I, the right to preempt in
    any way necessary to protect the United States of America.

      "But if and when you do it, Jim [Lehrer], you have to do it in a
    way that passes the test, that passes the global test where your
    countrymen, your people understand fully why you're doing what
    you're doing and you can prove to the world that you did it for
    legitimate reasons. Here we have our own secretary of state who has
    had to apologize to the world for the presentation he made to the
    United Nations.

      "I mean, we can remember when President Kennedy in the Cuban
    missile crisis sent his secretary of state to Paris to meet with
    DeGaulle. And in the middle of the discussion, to tell them about
    the missiles in Cuba, he said, 'Here, let me show you the photos.'
    And DeGaulle waved them off and said, "No, no, no, no. The word of
    the president of the United States is good enough for me."

      "How many leaders in the world today would respond to us, as a
    result of what we've done, in that way? So what is at test here is
    the credibility of the United States of America and how we lead the
    world. And Iran and Iraq are now more dangerous -- Iran and North
    Korea are now more dangerous.

    "Now, whether preemption is ultimately what has to happen, I don't
    know yet. But I'll tell you this: As president, I'll never take my
    eye off that ball. I've been fighting for proliferation the entire
    time -- anti-proliferation the entire time I've been in the
    Congress. And we've watched this president actually turn away from
    some of the treaties that were on the table.

    "You don't help yourself with other nations when you turn away from
    the global warming treaty, for instance, or when you refuse to deal
    at length with the United Nations.

      "You have to earn that respect. And I think we have a lot of
    earning back to do."

(59:20--61:22)

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/FullS

*Mass media is lacking, here are a few daily summariesof global warming
news - email delivered*