[✔️] April 3, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Why the worst comes to the US, Sea level rise, Greenland and McKibben, Faster ice sheet loss, Rising tides, Kim Stanley Robinson, Cronkite

R.Pauli Richard at CredoandScreed.com
Mon Apr 3 09:34:25 EDT 2023

/*April*//*3, 2023*/

/[ Bad luck and more expensive targets ] /
*The US leads the world in weather catastrophes. Here's why*
The United States is Earth's punching bag for nasty weather
BySETH BORENSTEIN AP Science Writer
April 1, 2023
The United States is Earth's punching bag for nasty weather.

Blame geography for the U.S. getting hit by stronger, costlier, more
varied and frequent extreme weather than anywhere on the planet, several
experts said. Two oceans, the Gulf of Mexico, the Rocky Mountains,
jutting peninsulas like Florida, clashing storm fronts and the jet
stream combine to naturally brew the nastiest of weather.

That’s only part of it. Nature dealt the United States a bad hand, but
people have made it much worse by what, where and how we build, several
experts told The Associated Press.

Then add climate change, and “buckle up. More extreme events are
expected,” said Rick Spinrad, head of the National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration.

Tornadoes. Hurricanes. Flash floods. Droughts. Wildfires. Blizzards. Ice
storms. Nor’easters. Lake-effect snow. Heat waves. Severe thunderstorms.
Hail. Lightning. Atmospheric rivers. Derechos. Dust storms. Monsoons.
Bomb cyclones. And the dreaded polar vortex...

It starts with “where we are on the globe,” North Carolina state
climatologist Kathie Dello said. “It’s truly a little bit ... unlucky.”

China may have more people, and a large land area like the United
States, but “they don't have the same kind of clash of air masses as
much as you do in the U.S. that is producing a lot of the severe
weather,” said Susan Cutter, director of the Hazards Vulnerability and
Resilience Institute at the University of South Carolina...
The U.S. is by far the king of tornadoes and other severe storms.

“It really starts with kind of two things. Number one is the Gulf of
Mexico. And number two is elevated terrain to the west,” said Victor
Gensini, a Northern Illinois University meteorology professor.

Look at Friday's deadly weather, and watch out for the next week to see
it in action: Dry air from the West goes up over the Rockies and crashes
into warm, moist air from the Gulf of Mexico, and it’s all brought
together along a stormy jet stream.

In the West, it's a drumbeat of atmospheric rivers. In the Atlantic,
it's nor'easters in the winter, hurricanes in the summer and sometimes a
weird combination of both, like Superstorm Sandy.

“It is a reality that regardless of where you are in the country, where
you call home, you’ve likely experienced a high-impact weather event
firsthand,” Spinrad said.

Killer tornadoes in December 2021 that struck Kentucky illustrated the
uniqueness of the United States.

They hit areas with large immigrant populations. People who fled Central
and South America, Bosnia and Africa were all victims. A huge problem
was that tornadoes really didn't happen in those people's former homes,
so they didn't know what to watch for or what to do, or even know they
had to be concerned about tornadoes, said Joseph Trujillo Falcon, a NOAA
social scientist who investigated the aftermath.

With colder air up in the Arctic and warmer air in the tropics, the area
between them — the mid-latitudes, where the United States is — gets the
most interesting weather because of how the air acts in clashing
temperatures, and that north-south temperature gradient drives the jet
stream, said Northern Illinois meteorology professor Walker Ashley...
Then add mountain ranges that go north-south, jutting into the winds
flowing from west to east, and underneath it all the toasty Gulf of Mexico.

The Gulf injects hot, moist air underneath the often cooler, dry air
lifted by the mountains, “and that doesn't happen really anywhere else
in the world,” Gensini said.

If the United States as a whole has it bad, the South has it the worst,
said University of Georgia meteorology professor Marshall Shepherd, a
former president of the American Meteorological Society.

“We drew the short straw (in the South) that we literally can experience
every single type of extreme weather event,” Shepherd said. “Including
blizzards. Including wildfires, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes. Every
single type. ... There's no other place in the United States that can
say that.”

Florida, North Carolina and Louisiana also stick out in the water so are
more prone to being hit by hurricanes, said Shepherd and Dello.

The South has more manufactured housing that is vulnerable to all sorts
of weather hazards, and storms are more likely to happen there at night,
Ashley said. Night storms are deadly because people can't see them and
are less likely to take cover, and they miss warnings in their sleep.

The extreme weather triggered by America’s unique geography creates
hazards. But it takes humans to turn those hazards into disasters,
Ashley and Gensini said.

Just look where cities pop up in America and the rest of the world: near
water that floods, except maybe Denver, said South Carolina's Cutter.
More people are moving to areas, such as the South, where there are more
hazards.

“One of the ways in which you can make your communities more resilient
is to not develop them in the most hazard-prone way or in the most
hazard-prone portion of the community,” Cutter said. “The insistence on
building up barrier islands and development on barrier islands,
particularly on the East Coast and the Gulf Coast, knowing that that
sand is going to move and having hurricanes hit with some frequency ...
seems like a colossal waste of money.”

Construction standards tend to be at the bare minimum and less likely to
survive the storms, Ashley said.

“Our infrastructure is crumbling and nowhere near being
climate-resilient at all,” Shepherd said.

Poverty makes it hard to prepare for and bounce back from disasters,
especially in the South, Shepherd said. That vulnerability is an even
bigger issue in other places in the world.

“Safety can be bought," Ashley said. “Those that are well-to-do and who
have resources can buy safety and will be the most resilient when
disaster strikes. ... Unfortunately that isn't all of us.”

“It’s sad that we have to live these crushing losses,” said Kim Cobb, a
Brown University professor of environment and society. “We’re worsening
our hand by not understanding the landscape of vulnerability given the
geographic hand we’ve been dealt.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-leads-world-weather-catastrophes-98298368

/[ true costs would mean instant transition to clean energy - 14 min
video ]/
*When will fuel become unaffordable?*
Just Have a Think
7,080 views  Apr 2, 2023
The fuel crisis has affected all of, but it has hit the least well-off
families the hardest. The fossil fuel industry received more than a
TRILLION dollars in direct subsidies in 2022, and some say if the
impacts on the climate and environment were factored in, that number
would be nearly six times higher. But, if we take the subsidies away,
asks the fossil fuel industry, then how will people be able to afford to
heat their homes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2676LzY9CsU

/[ Brief video from Peter Sinclair - 90 seconds ]/
*Bill McKibben on Greenland's Changing Face*
greenmanbucket
2.62K subscribers
Apr 2, 2023
More from my 2018 interview with Bill McKibben, in Narsarsuaq, Greenland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNtK_CITXw

/[ faster times now. ..]/
*Greenland Ice Sheet Ice Loss Accelerating with Numerous Amplifying
Feedbacks Towards Tipping Points*
Paul Beckwith
1,472 views  Mar 31, 2023
In the last week or so, there have been a number of peer-reviewed
scientific papers that show the stability of the enormous ice sheets on
both Greenland and Antarctica are much less resilient than we previously
thought.

In this video, I focus on Greenland Ice Sheet melt, and in the next
video I switch poles and chat about the Antarctic Ice Sheet loss and the
effects on the Global Ocean Overturning Circulation.

For Greenland, we are fast approaching a tipping point whereby we lose
all the ice sheet in Southern Greenland. An Earth System Model of
Intermediate Complexity (EMIC) that incorporates all the known feedbacks
shows that when the cumulative carbon emissions reach 1000 GtC we lose
the southern ice on Greenland. Since cumulative human emissions to date
have reached 500 GtC, it means that we are already half way there. The
study also shows that when cumulative carbon emissions reach 2500 GtC
then we lose essentially all the Greenland ice, which results in 7
meters of global sea level rise.

We also know that the increased melt rate on the surface of Greenland is
greatly accelerating, and the meltwater is running through crevices and
cracks in the ice, running downhill between the bottom of the ice sheet
and the bedrock below, and entering the ocean. The turbulent flow of
this meltwater is eroding away the ice at the bottom of the glacier,
greatly increasing ice mass loss. I discussed this in great detail in
some Greenland videos I published back in October and November.

Finally, a third crucial paper was just published online on March 29th,
2023 that shows how there is increasingly extreme Greenland ice sheet
melting in northeast Greenland. What is happening is that there are
increasing numbers of powerful Atmospheric Rivers (ARs) hitting the
northwest of Greenland, where they cause great summer melting there when
they are rain on snow events. As these ARs deposit their rain (at low
altitudes) and snow (at high altitudes) they cross the peak of the ice
sheet and descend down the lee side as very dry, warm (adiabatically
heated) fast winds (called foehn winds). On their way downhill across
the northeast Greenland ice sheet they cause extreme melting events that
erode away the ice extremely quickly.

All of these mechanisms mean that global sea level will rise much faster
than anybody thinks (apart from me).
All of these mechanisms mean that the Greenland Ice Sheet is
destabilizing, and melting much faster than anybody has expected, apart
from myself, of course (see my series of videos; Can Global Sea Level
Rise 7 meters by 2070?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYY0eJt6Ano

/[ rising tides and filling the bathtub ]/
*The UK’s first climate refugees: why more defences may not save this
village from rising sea levels*
Published: March 31, 2023...
- -
Fairbourne is a small village on the west coast of Wales and is the
first place in the UK to have been assigned the long-term policy of “no
active intervention” regarding its coastal defences. That is when a
decision is made not to invest in providing or maintaining sea defences.

This has led to Fairbourne’s inhabitants being described as “the UK’s
first climate change refugees” by news media...
- -
Fairbourne is built on a low-lying floodplain. The village lies between
cliffs and a natural gravel barrier which houses a sea wall, and is at
risk from both coastal and river flooding. As the sea level around the
Welsh coast rises, the village is at increased risk from coastal flooding...
- -
There are two main factors which drive global mean sea level rise, both
related to climate change. First, the addition of freshwater to our
oceans from melting glaciers and ice sheets. And second, the expansion
of ocean water as it warms up, which is a consequence of higher
atmospheric temperatures.

The global mean sea level rose higher in the 20th century than in any
other century during the last 3,000 years. The rate of global mean sea
level rise in 2021 was the highest ever recorded. Uncertainty remains in
the projections of future sea level rise but the latest estimate is that
a global rise of up to approximately 1 metre by 2100 is possible.

https://theconversation.com/the-uks-first-climate-refugees-why-more-defences-may-not-save-this-village-from-rising-sea-levels-197206

- -

/[ classics from Kim Stanley Robinson ]/
*Sea-level rise: writers imagined drowned worlds for centuries – what
they tell us about the future*
Published: January 28, 2021
- -
And overcoming the rising seas will mean more than adjusting to flooded
coasts. Some works of fiction consider how a rise in sea level will
limit food production, as in Paolo Bacigalupi’s The Windup Girl. Others
depict the consequences of mass migration to the remaining habitable
parts of the planet, as in EJ Swift’s The Osiris Project.

These stories explore a sea-level rise as an existential threat to human
life that’s exacerbated by the paralysis and inaction of individuals.
Recent offerings of climate fiction, such as Robinson’s New York 2140 or
The Ministry for the Future go further, and operate at the level of
utopian imagination implicit in Ballard’s earlier dystopian vision,
asking: what if we do something about it?...
https://theconversation.com/sea-level-rise-writers-imagined-drowned-worlds-for-centuries-what-they-tell-us-about-the-future-151804

--

/[ an older lecture from 2020  -- video of talk discussion ]/
*Adapting to Sea Level Rise: The Science of "New York 2140" | Kim
Stanley Robinson*
Long Now Foundation
2,206 views  May 10, 2020  THE INTERVAL AT LONG NOW
Legendary science fiction author Kim Stanley Robinson:
http://www.kimstanleyrobinson.info/ returns to The Interval to discuss
his just released novel New York 2140. Robinson will discuss how
starting from the most up to date climate science available to him, he
derived a portrait of New York City as "super-Venice" and the resilient
civilization that inhabits it in his novel. In 02016 Robinson spoke at
The Interval about the economic ideas that inform "New York 2140":
http://theinterval.org/salon-talks/02.... He will be joined by futurist
Peter Schwartz: http://longnow.org/people/board/schwa... in conversation
after his talk.

Kim Stanley Robinson: http://www.kimstanleyrobinson.info/ is an American
novelist, widely recognized as one of the foremost living writers of
science fiction...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC7Cr8g-ru0

/[The news archive - looking back]/
/*April 3, 1980*/
April 3, 1980: "The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite" reports on
the role coal plays in fueling global warming.

http://climatecrocks.com/2013/01/23/1980-cronkite-on-climate/

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli