[✔️] April 19, 2023- Global Warming News Digest |Media analysis, 1989 Shell memo, Permafrost to mud, Doom Seer in UK, new book, Tipping point 2008, IPCC. Boehner

Wed Apr 19 08:16:23 EDT 2023

/*April*//*19, 2023*/

/[  denial slowly evaporates  ]
/*Climate change: multi-country media analysis shows scepticism of the
basic science is dying out*
Published: April 18, 2023
Any regular viewer of BBC’s Question Time could be forgiven for thinking
that old-fashioned climate science denialism is alive and kicking. In a
recent edition, panellist Julia Hartley-Brewer called the IPCC’s climate
models “complete nonsense”, and dismissed the 2022 record UK heatwave
and the floods in Pakistan by saying: “It’s called weather.”

But for some time now, researchers have suggested that the balance of
arguments propagated by climate sceptics or denialists has shifted from
denying or undermining climate science to challenging policy solutions
designed to reduce emissions.

For example, computer-assisted methods applied to thousands of
contrarian blogs or websites have found that since the year 2000,
“evidence scepticism” which argues that climate change is not happening,
or is not caused by humans or the effects won’t be too bad, has been on
the decline, while “response” or “solutions scepticism” has been on the
rise.
https://theconversation.com/climate-change-multi-country-media-analysis-shows-scepticism-of-the-basic-science-is-dying-out-198303

/[ Shell sought shills down by the rising sea shores...]/
*‘Bombshell’ 1989 Shell Memo Features in New Court Filing Alleging
Climate Deception*
Document warning that civilisation could prove a "fragile thing" is used
to bolster District of Columbia lawsuit against Big Oil.
By Matthew Greenon
Apr 13, 2023
In October 1989, Shell researchers wrote a confidential report warning
that climate-fuelled migration could swamp borders in the United States,
Soviet Union, Europe, and Australia. “Conflict would abound,” the
document said. “Civilisation could prove a fragile thing.”

Now, that memo — first reported by DeSmog and Dutch investigative
journalism platform Follow The Money — features in a new court brief
alleging that Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, and BP knowingly concealed the
climate hazards of their fossil fuel products for decades.
A group of climate disinformation researchers and nonprofits filed the
brief on April 7 in support of a 2020  lawsuit brought by the District
of Columbia, part of a wave of litigation by at least 20 U.S. states and
cities seeking to hold the oil industry to account for climate damages.

The 50-page brief cites academic studies and media reports to show how
the oil industry was warned about the risks posed by a build-up of
carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from burning fossil fuels in the late
1950s. Companies such as Shell and ExxonMobil went on to develop
detailed internal knowledge of the problem, while backing industry
associations waging sophisticated campaigns to cast doubt on climate
science, the brief argues.

“While their tactics have changed, Defendants’ overall strategy of
deception continues to this day,” the brief said. “Defendants now
acknowledge that the climate is changing and claim to be leaders in
efforts to combat climate change. However, they continue to run
marketing and lobbying campaigns intended to mislead policymakers and
the public about climate change and Defendants’ role in causing it.”

A Shell spokesperson said the company’s position on climate change had
been a matter of public record for decades, and that it was reducing its
own emissions, and working closely with customers to help them reduce
theirs.

“We do not believe the courtroom is the right place to address climate
change as litigation does not enable the global cooperation needed,” the
spokesperson said. “It is for government to determine the right
trade-offs for society and put in place smart policy to enable
fundamental change in the way society consumes energy.”

BP, ExxonMobil, and Chevron did not immediately respond to requests for
comment.

‘No Place To Go’

The brief marks the first time that documents obtained through a
14-month congressional investigation into allegations of climate
misinformation by Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, and BP have been cited in
a climate accountability lawsuit.

The confidential Shell document is from a separate source, however: a
dossier of 201 company publications, official correspondence, reports,
academic studies, and other materials compiled by Dutch researcher and
climate activist Vatan Hüzeir. Documents from the collection, reviewed
by DeSmog, can be viewed at Climate Files, a project of the nonprofit
Climate Investigations Center.

Titled “SCENARIOS 1989 – 2010,” the Shell memo outlines a high-emissions
“global mercantilism” scenario in which average global temperatures rise
by “considerably more” than 1.5 degrees Celsius.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23735737-1989-oct-confidential-shell-group-planning-scenarios-1989-2010-challenge-and-response-disc-climate-refugees-and-shift-to-non-fossil-fuels

/[ Permafrost Ice melting into muddy ground ]/
*Thawing permafrost may release industrial pollutants at Arctic sites:
study*
There are thousands of contaminated sites in the Arctic, and as
permafrost thaws, increased pollutants from these areas could be
released, says a recent study.
Eye on the Arctic
April 09, 2023
By Eilís Quinn
“Traditionally, [permafrost has] also been considered a natural barrier
that prevents the spread of pollutants,” said Moritz Langer, one of the
authors and a researcher at  the Alfred Wegener Institute, Helmholtz
Centre for Polar and Marine Research (AWI), said.

“Consequently, industrial waste from defunct or active facilities was
often simply left on-site, instead of investing the considerable effort
and expense needed to remove it.”

The paper, “Thawing permafrost poses environmental threat to thousands
of sites with legacy industrial contamination” appeared in the journal
Nature Communications.

Climate affecting permafrost barriers
During the Cold War, industrial expansion took place across the Arctic,
the researchers said.

Matter left behind ranged from mining debris to old military
installations to toxic sludge from oil and gas exploration.

Some of this was poured into lakes, the authors said.

Permafrost was seen as both a stable and reliable foundation to build
infrastructure as well as an effective bulwark against toxins and
pollution from spreading.

“In many cases, the assumption was that the permafrost would reliably
and permanently seal off these toxic substances, which meant there was
no need for costly disposal efforts,” Guido Grosse, and author and
researcher who also heads the AWI’s Permafrost Research Section, said in
a news release...
- -
But as the climate warms in the North, and permafrost melts threatening
both the integrity of the infrastructure and its ability to contain
pollutants.

To do their paper, the researchers examined data from OpenStreetMap and
from the Atlas of Population, Society and Economy in the Arctic. Using
those sources, they identified 4,500 industrial sites either using or
storing potentially harmful pollutants.

Outside of North America, the researchers were unable to access detailed
information on the types of facilities or potential severity of
environmental pollution they could create...
- -
As international commercial interest in the North continues to increase,
the researchers recommend more data collection and the development of a
monitoring system for industrial activities in the Arctic.

“As a result, more and more industrial facilities are being constructed,
which could also release toxic substances into nearby ecosystems,” the
news release said.

“ Further, this is happening at a time when removing such environmental
hazards is getting harder and harder – after all, doing so often
requires vehicles and heavy gear, which can hardly be used on vulnerable
tundra soils that are increasingly affected by thaw.”

Grosse says the unpredictability ahead requires a definitive strategy.

“In a nutshell, what we’re seeing here is a serious environmental
problem that is sure to get worse,”  he said.
https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/climate-crisis/2023/04/thawing-permafrost-may-release-industrial-pollutants-arctic-sites-study

- -

/[ see the research paper ]/
*Thawing permafrost poses environmental threat to thousands of sites
with legacy industrial contamination*
Abstract

    Industrial contaminants accumulated in Arctic permafrost regions
    have been largely neglected in existing climate impact analyses.
    Here we identify about 4500 industrial sites where potentially
    hazardous substances are actively handled or stored in the
    permafrost-dominated regions of the Arctic. Furthermore, we estimate
    that between 13,000 and 20,000 contaminated sites are related to
    these industrial sites. Ongoing climate warming will increase the
    risk of contamination and mobilization of toxic substances since
    about 1100 industrial sites and 3500 to 5200 contaminated sites
    located in regions of stable permafrost will start to thaw before
    the end of this century. This poses a serious environmental threat,
    which is exacerbated by climate change in the near future. To avoid
    future environmental hazards, reliable long-term planning strategies
    for industrial and contaminated sites are needed that take into
    account the impacts of cimate change..

/[  Michael Dowd reads article from GQ magazine (UK edition)]/
*Jem Bendell - The Doom Seer Of Climate Chaos - GQ April - May 2023*
Apr-May 2023 GQ (UK) article on Jem Bendell, "The doom seer of climate
chaos"*
*https://soundcloud.com/michael-dowd-grace-limits/jem-bendell-the-doom-seer-of-climate-chaos-gq-april-may-2023

*- -*

[ inevitable ]*
*

Professor Jem Bendell Strategist & educator on social change, focused on
Deep Adaptation to societal breakdown*
*

*I was wrong to conclude collapse is inevitable…*
Posted on April 17, 2023by jembendell
I was wrong to conclude collapse is inevitable… because when I was
concluding that, it had already begun.

When I concluded that societal collapse is inevitable, nearly 5 years
ago, it may have been one of the reasons my Deep Adaptation paper
attracted unusual attention. Many people agreed and thanked me for
expressing that conclusion publicly. They said it helped validate what
they already felt, and so enabled their emotional processing and to
change their lives accordingly. Other people chose a variety of ways to
disagree. Some claimed I was not being scientific to claim an inevitable
outcome, and instead language like “near certain” or “very likely” would
be more appropriate. Others preferred to regard societal collapse as a
possibility, as they wanted to hope for a managed transition to a new
form of society. Unfortunately, other people misrepresented what I
wrote. To recap: in the paper I did not claim that we faced inevitable
near-term human extinction and did not claim that the inevitable