[✔️] August 13, 2023- Global Warming News Digest | Why Hawaii catastrophe, Neo-Nazis climate disaster recruiters. Opinion "Too hot for stupid", 2015 El Niño

Sun Aug 13 03:27:40 EDT 2023

/*August  13*//*, 2023*/

/[ DW documentary   ] /
*Why this fire turned into a major catastrophe | DW News*
DW News
Aug 11, 2023  #Hawaii #wildfire #climatechange
At least 55 people have died in wildfires on two Hawaiian islands. Many
more are still missing. The governor says the blazes are the worst
natural disaster in the history of the US state. Residents were shocked
by the speed with which the fires spread and had harrowing escapes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00MsjSe_2ec

/[ politics meets calamity ]/
*Neo-Nazis Are Using Climate Disasters to Recruit New Members*
Experts have been sounding the alarm that the far-right are exploiting
climate change and natural disasters.
By Tess Owen
August 11, 2023,
When a historic storm rolled through central Vermont last month,
drowning its capital Montpelier and its surrounding communities in
waist-high flood waters, one group of men saw a moment of opportunity.

The men, who called themselves PINE — The People’s Initiative of New
England— responded to the aftermath to assist clean-up efforts, clear
debris from the streets and homes, and pass out bottled water.
PINE describes itself as a “grassroots effort founded to advocate for
and advance the interests of New Englanders,” which sounds innocuous
enough—and that’s by design. But PINE is a new front for the neo-Nazi
street gang NSC-131, which formed in 2019 and has chapters across New
England. While NSC-131 brazenly touts Nazi symbols and throws up Hitler
salutes during public appearances, PINE is intended as a softer, more
socially acceptable mask. The goal of this is for NSC-131 to broaden
their appeal, especially to those who agree with their messaging but may
not want to publicly affiliate with an explicitly neo-Nazi organization.

In a recently released manifesto, first reported by Rolling Stone, PINE
calls for New England to secede from the U.S. and establish a white
ethnostate. And they think they can do that by drumming up local
support, through “activism and community outreach.”

Hence: their flood relief efforts.

Extremists around the world typically seek to exploit moments of
instability or chaos for their own gain, and that’s particularly true in
the aftermath of natural disasters.
Weak or muddled government responses to hurricanes, flooding or
wildfires have previously created windows of opportunity for extremists
to position themselves as reliable, trusted sources of aid—and show
government agencies to be useless in a moment of crisis.

And, by ingratiating themselves in impacted communities, extremists are
able to reach into a larger pool of prospective recruits.

This is a trend that experts say they expect to see more of in the
coming years. As the effects of climate change grow more severe,
communities that have been destabilized by natural disasters may
increasingly find themselves leaning on wolves in sheeps clothing—
extremists dressed up as good samaritans.

A paper published last year by the National Consortium for the Study of
Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism explored the various ways that
extremists and terrorists exploit climate change and disasters for their
own gain. One example they offer is how, in the aftermath of a disaster,
those actors take advantage of perceptions that the government has been
ineffective in their response and use them to foster “radicalization
narratives of alienation and abandonment.” They also then try to “fill
in this gap by responding to the challenges posed by climate change to
enhance their local authority.”
Militias like the Oath Keepers have historically pounced on any
opportunity they can to expose weaknesses in federal agencies like FEMA
(which is a go-to source of anti-government conspiracy theories).
Members of the group, including their founder Stewart Rhodes, who was
recently convicted of seditious conspiracy for his role in the Jan. 6
riot, responded to calls for volunteers in the aftermath of Category 4
Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

A recent joint report by Grist and HuffPost looked at Oath Keepers and
other militias’ exploitation of climate disasters over the years. Oath
Keepers also traveled to Florida and Puerto Rico in 2017 following
hurricanes, and returned to Florida the following year after Hurricane
Michael. Oath Keeper leadership also urged their members to travel to
Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Tennessee in 2021, after a string of
catastrophic tornadoes moved through the region, according to
Grist/Huffpost.

Armed extremists, galvanized by conspiracy theories about “antifa,” set
up roadblocks in 2020 and interrogated people fleeing wildfires in
Oregon. And last year, an anti-government group called Echo Company of
the California State Militia’s 2nd Regiment showed up with
military-style trucks and fatigues to provide hot breakfasts to people
who’d been evacuated from their homes due to the Oak Fire near Mariposa
County. Along with breakfast, members of the militia passed out business
cards with QR codes and directions of how to join their organization,
NBC reported.

As for PINE—they shared images of their “activism” on their Gab and
Telegram channels, making sure to note that they also distributed their
propaganda in the process. “Montpelier is a short distance from me,”
responded one person. “VT is so far left I too often assume there are no
like minded people. Good to see this.”
https://www.vice.com/en/article/88xmap/neo-nazis-are-using-climate-disasters-to-recruit-new-members

/[ radical notion "Too hot for stupid" ]/
*Climate Crisis: The GOP Death Cult is holding the Earth Hostage to
White Privilege*
Who are you going to believe, Republicans or a bunch of lying
climatologists?
FLORIDA PHOENIX
08/10/2023
Diane Roberts

People, it’s too hot to be this stupid.

A new NPR/PBS/Marist poll shows that nearly three-fourths of Republicans
don’t think the climate crisis is a big deal and we don’t need to do
anything about it.

I guess the good news is that 56 percent of all political persuasions
say the climate crisis requires urgent action. That includes nearly nine
out of 10 Democrats and over half of Independents.

The Earth is being held hostage by the party of ignorance,
“conservatives” who no longer want to conserve anything other than white
privilege. They’ve become a death cult, denying what’s obvious to
rational, literate people. Who cares if the seas are boiling? As long as
they “own the libs.”

It’s not as if the science is unsettled. The data are solid; we’ve been
shown over and over again what’s happening and told what to do about it.

But Republicans see reducing fossil fuel use and developing sustainable
energy as just another front in the culture war, right up there with
reproductive rights, education, race, gender issues, gay rights, and
those satanic vaccines.

This is the hottest summer in 120,000 years. Accelerated climate change
is causing sea water temperatures to reach 100 degrees off the coast of
Florida; parts of Canada are bursting into flame; the Southwest is
scorched; places in Europe where a summer high temperature used to be
maybe 80F, are now watching their thermometers break 98.

But who are you going to believe, Republicans or a bunch of lying
climatologists who have the receipts?
It’s common to characterize our inability to address the skin-searing,
ocean-boiling, crop-killing climate crisis as “planetary suicide.”
That’s partly true. Those of us in the greenhouse gas emitting world are
indeed colluding in our own destruction.

*Murder for hire*
But this is also a long murder for hire, contracted by Big Oil, Big Ag,
Big Bank, the Republican Party, and even a few Democrats. The
corporations have understood the dangers of climate change for more than
40 years.

They don’t care. To them, high carbon emissions smell like money.

Not only are right-wingers ignoring our frying earth, they’re determined
to push it to the brink. The Heartland Institute, a cabal of
ultra-libertarians initially famous for questioning the link between
tobacco and cancer, now peddles climate denial to schools, shipping out
propaganda masquerading as “common sense” to educators, hoping to
influence schools

Mike Huckabee, former governor of Arkansas and Baptist preacher, now
publishes a “Kids’ Guide to the Truth About Climate Change,” a
brightly-colored booklet of misinformation and senseless graphs assuring
children the climate has always changed, greenhouse gases have
fluctuated for thousands of years, and if “teachers and the media” say
different, it’s because they “have an agenda.”

Dismissing the climate crisis is now a full-time job for rightwing think
tanks and politicians, determined to protect the likes of Exxon, Shell,
and BP. The Heritage Foundation has concocted a policy document for the
next president (assuming that’s a Republican) demanding Washington nix
Joe Biden’s climate initiatives, gut the EPA, ramp up oil and gas
production, and maybe sell off public lands for drilling and mining.

A Wall Street Journal editorial board member (who traffics in unhinged
opinions) complains that Wall Street Journal reporters (who deal in
facts) shouldn’t keep writing about the climate. Such scary stuff causes
“mental disorders,” she says.

It’s just a little heat wave. Calm down. Jump in the pool!

*Woke fabrication*

In Washington, Republicans work themselves into fits, insisting that
climate change is some kind of woke fabrication. During a hearing in
July, some of the House’s dimmer bulbs tried to bully U.S. climate envoy
John Kerry. They pulled out spurious charts to “prove” the Earth isn’t
warming and attacked Kerry on the ground that his political science
degree from Yale isn’t real “science,” so how dare he lecture the
intellectual giants of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs on
greenhouse gasses?

Not surprisingly, two congressmen from Florida particularly
distinguished themselves, behaving like third graders denied another hit
of Skittles, lobbing juvenile insults. Rep. Cory Mills, who famously
handed out “commemorative hand-grenades” when he first took office,
snarked about Kerry flying in on his “private jet.”

Another member of the Brain Trust, the Treasure Coast’s Brian Mast,
accused Kerry of pushing a “far-left radical agenda.”

Kerry doesn’t own a private jet, and you can bet they knew that.
Moreover, his “agenda” might better be characterized as helping save us
from the deadly consequences of our own idiocy.

But since when has reality mattered to the likes of Mills, Mast, and the
rest of the Idiot Caucus?
Meanwhile, Florida burns and floods and our supposed leaders don’t give
a damn. On April 12 this year, Fort Lauderdale got hit with 26 inches of
rain in one day. Streets were under two feet of water; airport runways
were awash; houses destroyed.

Ron DeSantis didn’t show up. He was on book tour.

After former Gov. Rick Scott, a man so spooked by the politics of
climate change that he forbade state employees to even say “climate
change,” decamped for the U.S. Senate, Floridians felt a tiny shiver of
hope. Newly-inaugurated Gov. Ron DeSantis named a chief science officer.

*Hell, no*
Could it be that the state would finally get serious about mitigating
greenhouse gases?

That would be a super-sized hell, no.

DeSantis talks a big game about “resilience” and “saving the
Everglades,” and he put together a “task force” to tackle toxic
blue-green algae — a huge health risk — but he hasn’t done a damned
thing to slow down production of the greenhouse gases that are killing
us or force polluters to stop dumping filth in our waters.

He refused to accept federal money to foster energy efficiency and
renewables such as wind and solar because, I suppose, it might give him
Joe Biden cooties.

He ignores the increasingly vicious hurricanes, the sunny-day floods,
the coastal erosion, the ecological collapse of our waterways, and that
thick, stinking blanket of poisonous algal bloom choking the life out of
Lake Okeechobee.

To slow down our carbon production, we need to stop encouraging fossil
fuel extraction and embrace solar and wind. But DeSantis and his party
refuse.

To clean up our impaired waters, the governor and Legislature must stop
the sugar, dairy, and phosphate interests from using them as a sewer system.

*Shrug*
To save the planet, we have to push the nations of the earth —
especially the U.S., India and China — to stop gagging our skies with
noisome emissions. We know this. The Republican Party knows this. Ron
DeSantis knows this.

Yet he shrugs and signs laws to help developers drain, dredge, and pave
what’s left of Florida.

After all, these are the people funding his campaign.

DeSantis says he disapproves of “politicizing the weather” and refuses
to, as he puts it, “do any left-wing stuff.”

Left-wing stuff like caring for Floridians suffering killer storms,
undrinkable water, and roaring floods?

As my colleague Craig Pittman often reminds us, during hurricane season
Florida is trying to kill us.

Republican Party nihilism is trying to kill us — all of us, every day.
https://floridaphoenix.com/2023/08/07/gop-death-cult-is-holding-the-earth-hostage-to-white-privilege/

/[The news archive - looking back at other El Niños ]/
/*August 13, 2015*/
August 13, 2015:
The Los Angeles Times reports:

    "In another sign that El Niño is gaining strength and could soak
    California this winter, sea surface temperatures in the Pacific
    Ocean have increased to their highest level so far this year.

    "That temperature increase — 3.4 degrees Fahrenheit above the
    average — was recorded Aug. 5 by the National Weather Service's
    Climate Prediction Center at a benchmark location in the Pacific.
    That is slightly higher than it was Aug. 6, 1997, when it was 3.2
    degrees Fahrenheit above normal.

    "The summer of 1997 was the prelude to the largest El Niño event on
    record. Storms that winter brought widespread flooding and
    mudslides, causing 17 deaths and more than half a billion dollars of
    damage. Downtown L.A. got nearly a year's worth of rain in February
    1998."

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-el-nino-20150813-story.html

*Mass media is lacking, many daily summariesdeliver global warming news
- a few are email delivered*

sender. This is a personal hobby production curated by Richard Pauli